• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orisson

Tony Maguire

Time of past OR future Camino
20th August 2014
Has anybody made a request for a reservation on the Orisson website, and if so how long before you got confirmation and link for payment.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I am not sure when you want to go, but Orisson is closed untill April. This is from their website:

The Refuge is closed now and will open for the next season in April 2023. Reservations for 2023 open on our website for the dates after the 10th of april. If you want to come before just call 1 or 2 days before your coming to know if the refuge is open, it depends on the weather.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am not sure when you want to go, but Orisson is closed untill April. This is from their website:

The Refuge is closed now and will open for the next season in April 2023. Reservations for 2023 open on our website for the dates after the 10th of april. If you want to come before just call 1 or 2 days before your coming to know if the refuge is open, it depends on the weather.

Yes it is always closed for winter as Napoleon route is closed.

Has anybody made a request for a reservation on the Orisson website, and if so how long before you got confirmation and link for payment.

They are notoriously slow in responding to reservation requests in the off season. Just be patient, it can take many weeks, but they will eventually respond. You will eventually get a confirmation email, followed by a request to pay their deposit through Paypal. That's all you will ever hear, but rest assured that once paid, your reservation is secured. It can be frustrating, as a successful reservation anchors the entire rest of your schedule, I know.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Last season it was apparently between 1 day and 2 weeks, judging by current reports on the forum at the time.

There is however a narrative that says it takes months during their hibernation period (because that is what they are supposedly doing, according to some narrators ☺️).

Please let us know eventually how long it took for your reservation for 2023. Thanks.

Sorry I didn't mean that the way it sounded. I should have said we made reservation on site for September. Just waiting for confirmation to book flights
Book your flights, plan your trip. In the worst case scenario, and you don't get the reservation you want, just walk up to Orisson Day 1, have a beer, and take the mountain shuttle back to SJPP for a second night there. You can return the next morning to Orisson via shuttle or taxi to carry on from there. It's not a show stopper.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Book your flights, plan your trip. In the worst case scenario, and you don't get the reservation you want, just walk up to Orisson Day 1, have a beer, and take the mountain shuttle back to SJPP for a second night there. You can return the next morning to Orisson via shuttle or taxi to carry on from there. It's not a show stopper.
Yes I was thinking that. So will book the flights as the price is so good. Just we have 2 people with us on the 1st walk from SJPP and wanted them to experience the lively evening meal at Orisson

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
They are notoriously slow in responding to reservation requests in the off season. Just be patient, it can take many weeks, but they will eventually respond. You will eventually get a confirmation email, followed by a request to pay their deposit through Paypal. That's all you will ever hear, but rest assured that once paid, your reservation is secured. It can be frustrating, as a successful reservation anchors the entire rest of your schedule, I know.
...and be sure to be on the lookout for their reply among your junk and spam folders! The reply had come to me under the name "Saul" who had the role of responding-- I say this because if you do a search for it, it might be difficult to find among your folders. Once you have found the response, it is quite simple to proceed with payment. I have stayed there several times and found it pleasant considering the sheer numbers of pilgrims that they typically deal with.

Refuge Orisson opened up bookings earlier this week and I had a problem booking on their website so emailed and got a response ther next day. He fixed the issue and I reserved. But no confirmation yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think that you mean "Sarl", which is part of some company names in France.

View attachment 138170
Yep. The last time I booked Orisson, the bill came from Sarl Apathia, which roughly translates to "Apathia Inc.". That is the corporate entity that operates Orisson. It was initially a surprise, since I don't think there was anything in the payment request that connected it to Orisson unless you were their accountant. But that's how they do it, and it is legitimate.

I think that you mean "Sarl", which is part of some company names in France.

View attachment 138170
You are right! I checked old files and received a message:
"Please pay your invoice. SARL APATHIA would like to remind you to pay invoice. Amount due: €40.23 EUR
Due on receipt"
This was followed by instructions to use PayPal. This note had been received on 13 January, 2019 after sending out a message in November 2018 to them requesting the reservations for a specific date in May 2019.

I stayed at Borda, while some friends stayed at Orrison. Borda was the better choice.
I'm curious why you feel that way. Everyone says good things about Borda, but they also say good things about Orrison. What is it about Borda that makes it better (in your opinion) than Orrison? I haven't been to either, but will likely stay at one of those two next May, so appreciate you sharing your thoughts.

Made request 3 days ago on the Orisson site and havn't heard yet. Believe it can take 2 - 3 weeks reading on past posts. Good luck.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, Orrison's poor communication is common knowledge (...and very French 😎), but see it as one of the pluses of the Camino pilgrimage. A modest Albergue (Refuge) is just not an organization like B.com and its services should not be considered an entitlement. If there is no bed (or no answer), just walk the entire stage, which is what the vast majority of pilgrims do.
There is also nothing wrong with simply starting the Camino in Roncesvalles or in Pamplona instead.
Like the SJPdP as a "must" starting point and the grotesque exaggeration of the "crossing of the Pyrenees", Orrison has become hype, especially among hikers from overseas. A hype, by the way, that has nothing to do with the spirit of the Camino. An end to the nonsensical yo-yo-ing of first taxying against the flow from Pamplona to SJPdP might also relax the demand for beds in the neuralgic Orrison and Borda.
Or - if one absolutely has to ride the bus backward to SJPdP and has problems with the first steep 8 km - one might as well take the Bourricot shuttle for that, to start the gentler climb after Orrison the next day without spending the night there.
Just my 2 cents, Buen Camino.

As to the question about differences between two gîtes at a distance of 1 km between them:

Borda has 14 beds which includes one much sought after private room with two beds. Orisson has 28 beds. Their set prices were identical in 2022: €42.

They both do a round of statements after dinner where each guest talks about where they come from, where they are going to go and why. Numerous guests like this. Difference between Borda and Orisson: this is over more quickly at Borda than at Orisson.

I once watched a recording of it and was at first surprised about the large number who had no plans to walk to Santiago but had Pamplona, Logroño and similar towns at a relatively short distance on the Camino Francés as their final destination.

Last edited:
It has already been explained that Saul does not work for Orisson and that Sarl is a French abbreviation that means company with limited liability. Apparently, there are about one and a half million of these in France.

Sarl Apathia is the name of a small family business; the owners, Jean-Jacques and Carole, run not only the Refuge Orisson but also a gîte (= "albergue" but that is Spanish and not French) in nearby Saint-Jean-Le-Vieux. If you live in Europe and walk from home to Saint James in Galicia that is where you will most likely walk through before you enter Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port through the aptly named Saint James Gate in their old town wall.

But you don't have to know or remember any of this. Just remember that your confirmation plus payment details for your booking in 2023 is likely to come from an email address in the name of Sarl Apathia and it may end up in your spam folder. So don't empty it without checking first while waiting for this very email.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Made request 3 days ago on the Orisson site and havn't heard yet. Believe it can take 2 - 3 weeks reading on past posts. Good luck.
Just be patient, it can take many weeks, but they will eventually respond.

I have stayed at Orisson three times and the longest that I waited to hear back from them was 6 days.

I have stayed at Orisson three times and the longest that I waited to hear back from them was 6 days.
I too have stayed three times. I'm too lazy to dig through my archives, but I have never got a response quicker than two weeks, and the second time it was more than a month for sure. It probably matters what time of year you make the booking, and whether or not Jean-Jacque's niece is getting married that year, as well as the phases of the moon. We could do a statistical analysis on this, but I think we all have other things to occupy our time! The only solution for a wannabe pilgrim is patience, and the need to consider a Plan B.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Just remember that your confirmation plus payment details for your booking in 2023 is likely to come from an email address in the name of Sarl Apathia and it may end up in your spam folder.
Does anyone have the full email address of the Orisson reply or even just the domain name. This information could be used with email filters to place the Orisson email into the inbox.

Does anyone have the full email address of the Orisson reply or even just the domain name. This information could be used with email filters to place the Orisson email into the inbox.

A quick look through the treasure trove of replies that is this forum appears to indicate that the email address of the sender of the payment instruction for a reservation at Orisson was:
but it changed to:
Or was it the other way round, first reservations@refuge-orisson.com and then service@paypal.com? Or both perhaps and they alternate?
🤷‍♀️

We obviously need late 2022 (December 2022) or early 2023 (January 2023) email confirmations for certainty.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
What attracts me to Borda are the single beds instead of bunk beds and the hope that their toilets have seats on them. Orisson freaked me out a bit with their jail-style steel toilets with no seats. Unless they changed them since I was there in 2018.

You would still be in therapy then if you had seen the one at Tomas' albergue in Manjarin, a hole in a wooden deck across the road hidden by some trees.
👍 thank god, it's not far from there to walk to El Acebo with its beautiful, very civilized Casa Del Peregrino Albergue!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I completely enjoyed my stay at St. Nikolas with no electricity too and I have no problems using a wooden outhouse with a hole in the ground. Had hoped to stay in St. Anton last year too, but they were not open in April. The cold water and no electricity are expected. No big deal.
When I stay in a place that has all the other amenities of modern life though, then forgive me for thinking a toilet seat would be there too.

Sheesh!

Does Borda have blankets? I will have a sleeping bag liner , but my wife needs a little more warmth maybe than just a sleeping bag liner

Does Borda have blankets? I will have a sleeping bag liner , but my wife needs a little more warmth maybe than just a sleeping bag liner
The pictures on their website show blankets, and maybe sheets too.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
when he feels like it, stayed a few times great place and food but the owner has an attitude, a great view enjoy when you get there.

That’s for May 2023 at Borda, though, right, and not Orisson? I see that Borda now has a smart website with an online booking system so it’s no longer “email Laurent” but “book online”?
My wife still used the email, and he will give you link.

In the winter months it can take up to 3 weeks. Usually I hear from them in 2 or less weeks. Check your Spam folder regularly too though.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is also nothing wrong with simply starting the Camino in Roncesvalles or in Pamplona instead.
Like the SJPdP as a "must" starting point and the grotesque exaggeration of the "crossing of the Pyrenees", Orrison has become hype, especially among hikers from overseas. A hype, by the way, that has nothing to do with the spirit of the Camino. An end to the nonsensical yo-yo-ing of first taxying against the flow from Pamplona to SJPdP might also relax the demand for beds in the neuralgic Orrison and Borda.
What the hell is that ?

Crossing the Pyrenees was a highlight of my and many other folks Caminos. Don’t shove your prejudices on others.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I'm curious why you feel that way. Everyone says good things about Borda, but they also say good things about Orrison. What is it about Borda that makes it better (in your opinion) than Orrison? I haven't been to either, but will likely stay at one of those two next May, so appreciate you sharing your thoughts.
Borda's setting is beautiful and very peaceful. It's smaller than Orrison, so it makes the time you spend there with your new camino friends a more intimate and relaxing experience. Laurent, the owner, has walked the camino and so he was very thoughtful when it came to planning Borda: single beds/bunk beds with privacy screens, each one with a place to plug in your electronics, and bathrooms for each sleeping area so no rush to hit the showers! Aside from being a knowledgable and generous host, he is also a wonderful cook, and our communal dinner was hearty and tasty. He is also very responsive, so emails with him were always answered promptly. After hiking from SJPDP, Borda was like an oasis!

Hope this was helpful information!

Like the SJPdP as a "must" starting point and the grotesque exaggeration of the "crossing of the Pyrenees", Orrison has become hype, especially among hikers from overseas.

What the hell is that ?

Crossing the Pyrenees was a highlight of my and many other folks Caminos. Don’t shove your prejudices on others.

If @pepi hasn't crossed the Pyrenees then his comment is prejudiced but if he has then he's expressing an opinion.

One more point of data. I requested a reservation last Wednesday (15 December) and received the invoice email today, so one week turnaround in this case.
--------------------------
Date: Dec 21, 2022 4:14 AM
Subject: Your latest Refuge Orisson invoice

Hi John,

An order has been created for you on Refuge Orisson. Your invoice is below, with a link to make payment:

(16/12/2022)​

ProductQuantityPrice
REFUGE ORISSON BOOKINGS
  • Start:28/05/2023
  • End:29/05/2023
145,23€
Subtotal:45,23€
Payment method:RESERVATION REQUEST
Total:45,23€ (includes 3,75€ TVA 10%, 1,07€ TVA 20%, 0,64€ Taxe de séjour, 2,24€ Taxe Paypal)

Thanks for using refuge-orisson.com!

That’s for May 2023 at Borda, though, right, and not Orisson? I see that Borda now has a smart website with an online booking system so it’s no longer “email Laurent” but “book online”?
Yep. Quick, easy and instant website booking at Borda, with a personalised confirmation from Laurent. I recently booked for May 23.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Borda's setting is beautiful and very peaceful. It's smaller than Orrison, so it makes the time you spend there with your new camino friends a more intimate and relaxing experience. Laurent, the owner, has walked the camino and so he was very thoughtful when it came to planning Borda: single beds/bunk beds with privacy screens, each one with a place to plug in your electronics, and bathrooms for each sleeping area so no rush to hit the showers! Aside from being a knowledgable and generous host, he is also a wonderful cook, and our communal dinner was hearty and tasty. He is also very responsive, so emails with him were always answered promptly. After hiking from SJPDP, Borda was like an oasis!

Hope this was helpful information!
I will be staying at Borda in May, please let me how far it is from SJPDP

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I will be staying at Borda in May, please let me how far it is from SJPDP
I’ve just walked from SJPP to Borda today and my Garmin is telling me it’s 9 kilometres.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back