• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orly Customs

Grace Bunemann

Time of past OR future Camino
May/June '17
My camino buddy used a travel agent friend to book our flights to SJPdP. After the tickets were purchased we realized one of the connections was really tight time wise. For those who have traveled USA to Orly to Biarritz, how long did customs take you in Orly? We aren't checking bags so we won't have to wait for backage claim, we would only need to pass through customs.

Flight times:

- Arrive Orly at 7:40am (Wed May 17)
- Depart Orly to Biarittz at 8:45am (Wed May 17)

Is this too risky?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Are you sure your arrival airport is Orly? Because the usual for intl fligths is CDG.
That was my immediate question too!

Also are both flights booked on the same reservation, and on the same airline or affiliated airlines? If so, they will likely just put you on the next flight available, but if not, it could be more complicated.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
AirFrance now has direct flights from the USA to Orly, as does British Airways (under the name of "OpenSkies"), and both airlines will probably put you on the next available flight to your destination if you're late. I'm not entirely sure you need to pass through customs at Orly if you've been booked all the way through to your destination, unless this is what they mean by "security checks" (you can check on the official French airport site):
http://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passengers/flights/connecting-flights

This is confirmed by AirFrance (which I suspect will be your carrier as they have connections to Biarritz): http://www.airfrance.us/US/en/common/guidevoyageur/aeroport/correspondance-paris-orly.htm

In any case, Orly is mainly for domestic flights (and some from North Africa) so if you do need to pass through customs hopefully it won't take too long. You might, however, need to get from Terminal South to Terminal West - there's a free shuttle that takes under 10 mins, although make sure you know where to catch it in advance! http://www.parisaeroport.fr/en/passengers/access/paris-orly

My camino buddy used a travel agent friend to book our flights to SJPdP. After the tickets were purchased we realized one of the connections was really tight time wise. For those who have traveled USA to Orly to Biarritz, how long did customs take you in Orly? We aren't checking bags so we won't have to wait for backage claim, we would only need to pass through customs.

Flight times:

- Arrive Orly at 7:40am (Wed May 17)
- Depart Orly to Biarittz at 8:45am (Wed May 17)

Is this too risky?

Thanks in advance for any advice!!

First of all, yes, there are international flights to Orly. I've flown in and out of there many times, as recently as last year. Secondly, that is not a lot of time between flights. If your plane touches down at 7:40 you still need to get to the gate, disembark and make your way to immigration. Immigration may be speedy or slow depending on the number of people ahead or you, etc. Then you need to find your way from there to the gate of your plane. Hopefully it's in the same terminal. It may not be.

I wish you the best and hope you make your connecting flight.

That was my immediate question too!

Also are both flights booked on the same reservation, and on the same airline or affiliated airlines? If so, they will likely just put you on the next flight available, but if not, it could be more complicated.
Agreed. To expand on @C clearly's response, if you are on a single ticket (ie US departure airport to Bairittz) the carrier has the responsibility to get you to your destination, including making arrangements for the effects of any delays. If you are on separate tickets, you are carrying the risk of delay, and will need to make your own arrangements. This latter situation could be even more interesting if it is not an open (normally full price) fare. These are a couple of the things you might want to check with the agent who issued the tickets.

I don't have experience with Orly airport transfers, but my experience with other European airports is that they can be quite variable. It appears to me that the major delays are at immigration for non-EU travellers, not at customs. Unless you have something to declare or are chosen for a random check, customs is pretty much a walk through. On the other hand, if you hit a time where immigration staff are dealing with several international arrivals, you might have trouble making the connection.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Air France operates Air France Hop. It is selling tickets with very short intervals between connecting flights so it must be possible. Air France operates several flights daily on the Orly to Biarritz route. Assuming you are flying with Air France for the entire trip, you won't get stranded because you didn't make connection times. I would suggest getting confirmation from your travel agent.

Last edited by a moderator:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back