• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orthodox Churches along the Camino

phool4XC

I suspect that this information will be of very little general interest, but I thought I'd share it for any future Orthodox pilgrims.

So far I have been able to find three Orthodox parishes along the Camino Frances. Pamplona, Logrono, and Burgos all have Romanian parishes. Here is the complete list of Romanian Orthodox parishes in Spain: http://www.mitropolia.eu/ro/site/170/

Along the Camino del Norte there are a few more parishes, including a few Serbian ones. The list of Serbian Orthodox parishes is here: http://www.iglesiaortodoxa.es/es/parroquias.html

Just for good measure, here is a link to the Prologue from Ohrid for the feast of St. James as celebrated in the Orthodox Church: http://prologue.orthodox.cn/April30.htm
Also available in Chinese: http://prologue.orthodox.cn/April30cn.htm
and Serbian: http://www.svetosavlje.org/biblioteka/prolog/index.php?m=4&d=30&date=4

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Orthodox Christians can also celebrate Divine Liturgy at the Church of Santa Susana in Alameda Park, Santiago de Compostela. Inquire at the Pilgrim Office about times and dates.

I suspect that this information will be of very little general interest, but I thought I'd share it for any future Orthodox pilgrims.

So far I have been able to find three Orthodox parishes along the Camino Frances. Pamplona, Logrono, and Burgos all have Romanian parishes. Here is the complete list of Romanian Orthodox parishes in Spain: http://www.mitropolia.eu/ro/site/170/

Along the Camino del Norte there are a few more parishes, including a few Serbian ones. The list of Serbian Orthodox parishes is here: http://www.iglesiaortodoxa.es/es/parroquias.html

Just for good measure, here is a link to the Prologue from Ohrid for the feast of St. James as celebrated in the Orthodox Church: http://prologue.orthodox.cn/April30.htm
Also available in Chinese: http://prologue.orthodox.cn/April30cn.htm
and Serbian: http://www.svetosavlje.org/biblioteka/prolog/index.php?m=4&d=30&date=4
Would you know if any of the Orthodox churches operate an alberque on the Camino?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Would you know if any of the Orthodox churches operate an alberque on the Camino?
Worth noting that the post you are responding to is 14 years old and the OP hasn't visited the forum since 2010. The links may be out of date and I wouldn't hold my breath while waiting for any reply...

Thank you Bradypus for your prompt response. While I am a Byzantine Catholic (by denomation), I lean heavily on Orthodox theology and spirituality. Any other similar 'souls' on the march to Santiago this Fall? I will be beginning in St. John Pied de Port September 13th...God willing.

Hi Elaine! Which route are you taking? I’m assuming the French route because you’re starting in France. I noticed you’re from WA state—me too (grew up in Seattle, then Bellevue, now living in Wenatchee). Actually we just moved to Spain for a year and are living in Gijon (northern route). There’s an Orthodox church in our town if you’re by chance passing through. :)

I took the Portuguese route from Vigo two years ago. As an Orthodox Christian and an expressive arts facilitator, I would love to guide an Orthodox Camino. During my pilgrimage I read the Morning Prayers and joined vespers in the Catholic churches but read my own. I read the Synaxarion every day, journaled, sketched, and listened to The Way of the Pilgrim. It is possible to experience a wonderful journey as an Orthodox Christian. If I could organize a group with a priest, we could conduct liturgy.

Here's an update of my 2014 list. You'll see that there's quite an increase in the number of places where one can find Orthodox churches- there are now about thirty churches along the various Caminos-- most of these are Romanian, serving the 600,000 strong community. If you can't get anywhere in Spanish, try French as a back-up language, although everyone's cellphone can now translate languages, much like the legendary Babblefish mechanism. While information about service times was not available on the web for the Romanian churches, I have included it for Serbian parishes when I could. Most RC dioceses maintain close contact through the ecumenical officer at the obispado, so that's a possible source of service times. I had trouble finding Constantinopolitan and Moscow churches, but they're mainly in Madrid and on the south-east coast. I may be able to bring them in at later date.

For Orthodox doing the del Norte and starting out from Biarritz, there is pilgrim accommodation in the summer months (http://nevski.chez.com/acc.htm). Reserve at anevski@netcourrier.com
or telephone 05 59 24 16 74.

Camino Frances
PAMPLONA
Minunea Sfântului Arhanghel Mihail în Colose”
C/ Pueblo Viejo, n. 23, 31010, Barañain, Navarra
Pr. Ion Răducu
Tel: 0034-697.616.022
0034-642.824.091
E-mail: pr.raducu@yahoo.com
Diacon: Gabriel Gavriloaea Căsăndrescu
Diacon: Dănu Mure

LOGROÑO
Sfânta Treime”
Paseo del Prior,n. 6, 26005, Logroño, La Rioja
Pr. Ilie Daniel Maniu
Tel: 0034-634.763.589
E-mail: idmaniu@gmail.com

LOGROÑO II
Sfântul Porfirie Kavsokalivitul
Iglesia Sagrada Escolapios, Avenida de la Artillería, 26004, Logroño, La Rioja
Pr. Ioan Cupa
Tel: 0034-643.158.902
E-mail: preot_cupsa@gmail.com

BURGOS
Sfinţii Apostoli Petru şi Pavel”
Iglesia Salvador, Calle El Prado, s/n., Villatoro, Burgos
Pr. Dănu Mure
Tel: 0034-643.796.007

LEON
Sfântul Ierarh Iosif cel Nou de la Partoş
Avenida Alcalde Miguel Castano, n. 57, bajo, 24005, Leon
Fr Porfirie Florea
Mobil: 0034-642.912.878
E-mail: prporfirie@gmail.com
www.parohialeon.blogspot.com

SANTIAGO DE COMPOSTELA
Church of Santa Susana in the Alameda park, where there are Anglican services on Sunday morning- Enquire at the Pilgrim Office. Services are provided by the Patriarchate of Constantinople--I have heard that services are likely in Ukrainian, but would be grateful for an update.

Camino del Norte
GERNIKA LUMO
Sfântul Cuvios Antonie de la Iezerul Vâlci
C/ Aita Luis Villasante, nr. 25, Bajo 7, 48300, Gernika Lumo (Bizkaia)
Pr. Rotari Serghei
Tel.: 0034 – 642.686.388
Email: segiodegenika@gmail.com

SAN SEBASTIAN-DONOSTIA
Sfântul Mucenic Sebastian
Ermita Virgen de Uba, Camino de Uba, n.37, 20014, Donostia-San Sebastian
Pr. Mănescu Marian
Mobil: 0034-695.048.066
E- mail: manescu_marian@yahoo.com

BILBAO
Duminica Tuturor Sfinţilor
Plaza 1 Zeroetxe 48, 48160, Derio, Bizkaia
Pr. Petru David
Tel. 0034-620.072.827
E-mail: bilbao@mitropolia.eu
parohia_bilbao@yahoo.es

Saint Matthew (Serbian)
Sunday 10.30-12.30
Travesía de Sagarminaga, 3, 48004 Bilbao (Basarrate)
Fr Gordana Karna
650 404 076

CASTRO URDIALES
Sfântul Ierarh Niceta de Remesiana
C/ Iglesia Nueva, n.4 (la parter), 39700, Castro Urdiales
Pr: Mădălin Şelaru
Tel.: 0034-662.592.121
E-mail: pr.madalinselaru@yahoo.com

SANTANDER
Sfinţii Apostoli Petru şi Pavel
C/ General Davila, n57, 39006, Santander
Pr. Andrei Turea
Mobil: 0034-671.987.742
E-mail: parohiasantander@yahoo.es
tureaandrei@yahoo.com

GIJON – OVIEDO
Sfântul Cuvios Antonie cel Mare
C/ Puerto del Palo, n. 4, Gijon
Protoiereu Nicolae Florin Goia
Mobil: 0034-600.278.871
E-mail: ortodoxasturias@protonmail.com
www.parohiaasturias.es

Camino Primitivo
LUGO
Sfântul Sfinţit Mucenic Haralambie
Rúa Bispo Ona de Echave, n. 14, 27002, Lugo
Pr. Radu Costin Iacob
Tel.: 0034-642.514.692
E-mail: raduiacob84@gmail.com

Camino de la Plata
SALAMANCA
Sfântul Ierarh Vasile cel Mare
Parroquia Santa Maria de los Caballeros, Calle Ursulas,n. 5, 37002, Salamanca
Pr. Ilie Emanuel Cojocaru-Vlad
Tel.: 0034-642.741.461
E-mail: salamancaortodox@gmail.com
Responsible for ZAMORA

Camino de Levante
ALBACETE
Sfântul Dionisie Exiguul
Poligono Campollano Sur, C/ F, Nr. 5, Nava 25 (Pasaje), 02005 Albacete
Pr. Gheorghe Cristian Cucul
Mobil: 0034-622.562.797
E-mail: parohiaortodoxaalbacete@ yahoo.com
Site: www.albaceteortodox.es

TOLEDO
Acoperământul Maicii Domnului
C/Arroyo Cantaelgallo, n. 28, 45007, Toledo
Pr. Alexandru Iulian Titorencu
Mobil: 0034-634.702.052
E-mail: alexander_avva@yahoo.com
Site: www.bisericaortodoxatoledo.blogspot.com

ÁVILA
Sfântul Întâiul Mucenic şi Arhidiacon Ştefan
Real Monasterio de Santo Tomas, Plaza de Granada, n. 1, Ávila
Pr. Marius Ioniţă
Mobil: 0034-642.889.514
E-mail: ionitamarius80@yahoo.com

Camino Catalan
BARCELONA
Sfântul Mare Mucenic Gheorghe
C/ Capella, 25-29, 08040, Barcelona
Pr. Aurel Bundă
Tel: 0034-932.525.268
Mobil: 0034-650.318.404
E-mail: parohiabarcelona@gmail.com
Pr. tefan Silviu Vântu- Bundă
Diac. Lucian Craşovan

Protection of the Mother of God Serbian
C/ Aragó, 181, 08011 Barcelona
Archpriest Martí Puche
Hieromonk Macari, Padre Josep Moya, Padre José Santos
(+34) 93 453 25 08
p.marti@iglesiaortodoxa.es
http://www.iglesiaortodoxa.es

HUESCA
Zămislirea Maicii Domnului
C/ Nuestra Señora de la Huerta, n.4, local izquerda, 22005, Huesca
Pr. Florin Răducu
Mobil: 0034-627.719.535
E-mail: florinraducu@yahoo.es

LLEIDA (LERIDA)
Naşterea Sfântului Ioan Botezătorul
Gran Passeig de Ronda,n. 54, 25006, Lleida
Responsible for MONZON
San Jose” (din Palomar)
C/ Burgos,n. 2, 22400, Monzon, Lleida
Vecernie, ultima duminica din luna, ora 18:00
Pr. Daniel Simon
Tel: 0034-671.161.045
E-mail: prdanielsimon@yahoo.com

ZARAGOZA
Adormirea Maicii Domnului
C/ Florentino Ballesteros, n. 23, 50013, Zaragoza
Pr. Aurel Nae
Tel: 0034-686 .792.227
E-mail: aurelnae@yahoo.com

ZARAGOZA II- UTEBO
Sfântul Sfin it Mucenic Ignatie Teoforul i Sfântul Ierarh Victor de Zaragoza
Camino Estacion, n.22, 50180, Utebo, Zaragoza
Pr. Claudiu Florin Covaciu
Tel: 0034-642.848.031
E-mail: florincfc@yahoo.com

Camino de Lana
VALENCIA
Sfin ii Arhangheli Mihail i Gavriil
C/ Rosales, n.7, 46025 i Avenida Fernando el Catolico, n.78( pentru duminica), Valencia
Pr. Dumitru Daniel Toadere
Tel: 0034-962.750.988
Mobil: 0034-687.263.145
E-mail: parohiavalencia@gmail.com
toadere@gmail.com
Site: www.parohiavalencia.ro

VALENCIA II
Sfântul Apostol i Evanghelist Matei
C/ Doctor Serano, n. 15, bajo, 46006, Valencia
Pr. Cojocaru Gabriel
Tel.: 0034-642.925 985
Email: infogabriel65@gmail.com

Camino Inglés
LA CORUÑA
Sfântul Ioan cel Nou de la Suceava
La Resureccion del Señor
C/ Petunias, n.8, 15008, La Coruña
Pr. Danu Trifan
Mobil: 0034-680.914.092
E-mail: trifan.danu@yahoo.es

Saint John Chrysostom (Serbian)
Sunday, 10.00, Friday Vespers 19.00, 21.00
C/ Pascual Veiga, 51, A Coruña
P. Dámaso
(+34) 608 982 133
comunidadortodoxa@gmail.com
www.iglesiaortodoxaengalicia.blogspot.com

Camino Castellano-Aragonese
SORIA
Sfântul Ierarh Antim Ivireanul
Biserica: Ermita de la Virgen del Miron, Paseo del Miron, s/n, Provincia de Soria, 42005, Soria
Pr. Gabriel Dănilă
Mobil: 0034-642.293.282
E-mail: pr_gabrieldanila@yahoo.com

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
I was looking at the wisepilgrim app for the Frances route and noticed that the distances don't always add up from one side to the other. Has anyone else noticed this? Am I being overly observant...
Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Today is Sunday and I finished my Camino from León on Friday. The thing is I am feeling off balanced. I feel like I am not done. Last night I started feeling anxious with the thought of going back...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back