• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Orujo de Hierbas - digestif, pain killer, conversation start

vinotinto

I was introduced to Orujo at a private albergue early on during my Camino. After an excellent dinner prepared by the owner/operator and her husband, some of us bellied up to the albergue's bar. "Have you tried Orujo?" asked the barkeep, not coincidentally the owner. "Orujo? What's that?" I innocently replied.

Smiling, she poured me a shot "on the house." Then a group of chaps bought me another one. A couple more later, and I was feeling NO PAIN. Slurring a "gracias" to my hosts, I floated up to the internet terminal, composed a very raucous and profane email to a close friend, collapsed in my bed, and slept like a log until morning.

After that, Orujo became a must-have after my evening meal. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find any in the States, although I've seen some Spanish websites where I can order this heaven-sent nectar. Indeed, if I had to name a single Spanish staple that most compels me to do another Camino, it is Orujo De Hierbas!!! :mrgreen:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Indeed!
I can't finish a meal in Spain without a ''cortado'' and ''a chupito de hierbas''.
A puro is a nice extra.

Disfruta la vida,
Jean-Marc

Orujo casero is still obtainable along the Camino. The pulperia in Palas de Rei (on the same plaza across from the albergue) has a particularly potent variety. Do not operate machinery within a day or so of drinking it.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Many of us here in the USA do make our own wine and, since Ivar boasts of his 13 liters...oops, I'm sure he sent one to JW, here is a site where you can get the process going right at home:

http://frecklatto.blogspot.com/

Considering Vinotinto probably drank mouthwash at Boot Camp...even he will probably get it right.

Saludos

Arn

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Arn said:
Considering Vinotinto probably drank mouthwash at Boot Camp

Listerine...bleh! Nah, in fact, I didn't start drinking alcohol until my 30s, well after my tour as one of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children. I had to go to seminary in order to become a lush... :mrgreen:

Arn said:
get the process going right at home

That's tempting...my boss makes a mean limoncello (or so he says, I haven't tried any from his still). Heck, some folks hereabouts are starting to grow their own tobacco at home because of all the sin taxes and anti-smoking laws going into effect. But I don't want to open that can of snuff here... :wink: :mrgreen:

I think we have several beverages being called the same thing!

Arujo casera is fundamentally "moonshine":
Piratas de garaje.

La realidad del orujo "casero" es que una serie de piratas destilan ilegalmente, porque no pagan impuestos ni tienen controles sanitarios, desde un garage o un polígono industrial. Envasan en grandes garrafas de plástico y lo venden a precios tirados a restaurantes poco escrupulosos, que los ponen en una frasca o directamente en botellas de vacías de whisky Cardhu, y le dicen al cliente poco informado que es una joya "casera". Si eso les pasa -y pasa mucho-, tampoco se fíen de la merluza que les hayan servido.
My bottle of orujo is 90 proof, clear, and potent. It is better as an aperitif than a digestif. My orujo de hierbas at 70 proof is a better digestif. It is similar to the Chartreuse green (oxymoronically, there is a Chartreuse gold that is sweeter). My orujo de hierbas y frutas Tostada at 64 proof is good as either an aperitif or digestif.

To make your own:
Orujo ('augardente' or 'caña', in Galician, and oruxu, pronounced 'orUshu' in Asturian) is a liquor obtained from the distillation of the pomace (solid remains left after pressing) of the grape[1]. It is a transparent spirit with an alcohol content over 50% (100° proof). Its name comes from the expression "aguardiente de orujo" (pomace eau-de-vie).

It is a popular beverage in the northwest part of Spain, especially in Galicia where it is called aguardente or caña and is an element of collective identity. It is also known in Astúrias, Castile and Leon, and Cantabria (principally in the valley of Liébana), where it has become an artisanal craft for some families who after making wine for themselves distil the pomace in a little pot still. Many high quality distilled spirits have appeared in the last twenty years, including some origin appellations (in Spanish D.O.). These are obtained from quality grapes and produced according to the highest standards and are replacing the traditional home made liquor, nowadays only available in small villages.
Orujo’s basic ingredient is the residue from wine production. Once the grapes are crushed, the orujos or residue of the grapes can be used to produce the liqueur of the same name. The grape skins, seeds and stalks are fermented in closed vats and then distilled. Stills, called alambiques, alquitaras or potas are traditionally large copper kettles that are heated over an open fire, while a poteiro (orujo distiller) watches over his brew. The distilling process in the alambiques takes 6 hours or more. The copper stills used by Galicians for centuries are thought to have been brought to the Iberian peninsula by the Arabs.

The orujo that is produced by the distillation is a colorless liquor, while the orujo envejecido or "aged orujo" is amber in color. The aged variety is fermented and distilled the same way, but is then poured into oak barrels to age for at least two years.
Bottoms up!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
There is a big still somewhere in Moratinos (Palencia, Castilla y Leon) where fine moonshine is made. It is sampled after Mass on Sundays, for quality control purposes. The makers are presently experimenting with flavors other than the plain fire-water and the saffron-tinted "de hierbas" -- mint, tarragon, caraway, and coffee essences have been tried and found wanting. Rosemary is next up.

Let me know when you want to try some. I will fix you up!

Rebekah Scott said:
Let me know when you want to try some. I will fix you up!

Yum - sounds good! I wonder if cinnamon as an additive would work? My favorite whiskey is a brand called "Fireball," which has cinnamon in it. It goes well with stogies, and makes a great hot toddy when I'm sick! :wink:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I found it to be very smooth going down. Like a fine brandy. I was able to bring a bottle of it home from SDC. A chupito at a time until, alas, it was gone.
Lillian

In France the state has a monopoly concession which it farms out; it's a distillation service for which you pay some tax. I think it is to stop illicit stills and rake in undeserved tax. You bring your fermented plums and fruits and it goes into this ancient wheezing machine and out comes the most beautifully flavoured spirits.

I thought to make a still but the smell cant be easily disguised; and with the Gallic penchant for denunciation .....well.

The proof varies but the last stuff I tasted was around 50%; it is easy to drink but I was bitten once and suffered greatly next day. So now I stick to bottled sunshine in the form of wine, bought from the local "cave" from about 1-3 euros a litre depending on quality. I have had excesses there too.

Still miss this nectar of the godz...gotta order it one of these days, or better yet, walk again & enjoy it at the source!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
vinotinto said:
Still miss this nectar of the godz...gotta order it one of these days, or better yet, walk again & enjoy it at the source!

I was delighted to find that in Italy "grappa" is much the same as orujo blanco.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back