• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Oslo, Norway, to Santiago de Compostela

ParisOslo

Time of past OR future Camino
Primitivo Plata Norte Portuguese plan Paris Oslo
Good day all,

i have done multiple Caminos in the past (primitivo, plata, Norte, Portuguese) and this year I am planing something different and in 2 different trips.

My goal is to do from Oslo Norway to Saint Jacques the Compostella. My first trip would be Paris to Oslo and my second trip would be Paris Saint Jacques the Compostella.

My first trip will start on April 13 in Paris. I am looking for help to find low cost accommodations for pilgrim along the way.

In Spain and in Portugal it was easy to find information about accommodations availability along the way but I find it very difficult to find this info for this part of my trip.

I am turning 70 this year and walking is becoming more difficult for me but cycling is easy for me so I am using this mode for this trip.

I would really appreciate your help in finding web sites that display pilgrims accommodations or contacts of pilgrims groups or associations in various countries along my trip.

Thank you for your help

Attachments

• 19F2FF88-EA73-4D3C-A345-36DC2A5E281A.png
    19F2FF88-EA73-4D3C-A345-36DC2A5E281A.png
    636.7 KB · Views: 262
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
ParisOslo,
You certainly are planning a long journey in the next months!

When you do get to France in the tourist offices ask about the donativo Chaine d'Hospitalité Locale. Those who offer pilgrims such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them. See more here re such a Chaine in area of Reims, département 51.

For more on Paris and pilgrims see
this earlier post. Check out this recent thread re walking from Paris to Santiago.

Happy planning and Bon chemin!

Last edited:
ParisOslo,
You certainly are planning a long journey in the next months!

When you do get to France in the tourist offices ask about the donativo Chaine d'Hospitalité Locale. Those who offer pilgrims such hospitality do so for the pleasure of meeting/greeting pilgrims as well as helping them. See more here re such a Chaine in area of Reims, département 51.

For more on Paris and pilgrims see
this earlier post. Check out this recent thread re walking from Paris to Santiago.

Happy planning and Bon chemin!
Thank you very much for your help

I plan to cycle 40 to 50 per day depending how flat or hilly the road is. I will definitely review your suggestions and contact them.

Merci beaucoup!

Jean
Montréal

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Be sure to also check all the relevant threads/posts in the forum section Bicycling on the Camino.

hello Jean.

I am not sure if I understand you correctly: you are first cycling from Paris to Oslo (and then from Paris to Santiago), which would mean you go from Paris to Oslo in 'opposite direction' ?

Also I am not sure about your exact route.

If in Denmark you follow the the Haervejen, this website can be helpful: www.haervej.com/
Additionally if you put haervejen in the search function of the forum, you will find many threads as several forum members have walked it.

In Germany, I assume you follow the Via Jutlandica, Via Baltica and then the Jakobsweg from Bremen to Cologne ?

There are some really good German guide books on Hamburg - Bremen, and Bremen - Cologne also listing accomodation options (published by Conrad Verlag). I have not found accomodation listings for this routes on the internet.

Good starting point for planning the German part of your journey is this website (also in German, and I do not know if you speak German):

hello Jean.

I am not sure if I understand you correctly: you are first cycling from Paris to Oslo (and then from Paris to Santiago), which would mean you go from Paris to Oslo in 'opposite direction' ?

If in Denmark you follow the the Haervejen, this website can be helpful: www.haervej.com/
Additionally if you put haervejen in the search function of the forum, you will find many threads as several forum members have walked it.

In Germany, I assume you follow the Via Jutlandica, Via Baltica and then the Jakobsweg from Bremen to Cologne ?

There are some really good German guide books on Hamburg - Bremen, and Bremen - Cologne also listing accomodation options (published by Conrad Verlag). I have not found accomodation listings for this routes on the internet.

Good starting point for planning the German part of your journey is this website (also in German, and I do not know if you speak German):
Hello Marc

My intention is to travel from Paris to Oslo I think that starting in Oslo in April would be to cold. I also want to have the wind in my back during the trip. The winds are generally not strong but at my age all help I can use will be a plus.
I intend to follow as much as possible the Euro vélo 3 route But I am open to modify it to avoid industrialize Areas.

I will review your suggestions,

Thank you for your help

My German is very light…

hello Jean.

Good day Marc

About the exact route.

Based on the “Euro vélo 3” in Germany it would go true the following routes:

This stage of EuroVelo 3 - Pilgrims Route follows the itineraries of three historical pilgrimages in Germany: Jakobsweg Via Baltica, Jakobsweg in Westfalen and Nordrheinische Jakobswege. The Via Baltica, also called the Baltic-Westphalian way, is the northernmost east-west connection in the German Jakobswegen Network. It starts on the Polish/German border, but EuroVelo 3 joins this path in Hamburg. The path from Osnabrück to Wuppertal-Beyenburg is the continuation of the Via Baltica. From Wuppertal-Beyenburg. EuroVelo 3 follows the North Rhine Jakobswege to Aachen, the great Western pilgrimage destination in Germany.

Jean

Hello Jean,
about ten years ago I cycled from Kiel to Santiago. So I know a bit you‘re talking about. I was 64 at that time and I found it sometimes challenging but in general fine. Through France I choosed to follow the Via Lemovicensis via Vezelay. I elaborated a route close to „official“ footpath but tried to avoid rough tracks. So mostly I could ride on asphalt which made it a bit easier and I made no hustle to the footpilgrims on narrow tracks.
Regarding accommodation in Germany: We have a web of youth hostels here (look at www.djh.de). They accommodate not only „youth“. The prices are reasonable and they are serving meals too. To be sure to get a place it‘s good to reserve beforehand.

Bon chemin

P.S.: When you‘re passing Kiel perhaps give me a note (via PM). We could meet together for a coffee or more.

¡Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Good day all,

i have done multiple Caminos in the past (primitivo, plata, Norte, Portuguese) and this year I am planing something different and in 2 different trips.

My goal is to do from Oslo Norway to Saint Jacques the Compostella. My first trip would be Paris to Oslo and my second trip would be Paris Saint Jacques the Compostella.

My first trip will start on April 13 in Paris. I am looking for help to find low cost accommodations for pilgrim along the way.

In Spain and in Portugal it was easy to find information about accommodations availability along the way but I find it very difficult to find this info for this part of my trip.

I am turning 70 this year and walking is becoming more difficult for me but cycling is easy for me so I am using this mode for this trip.

I would really appreciate your help in finding web sites that display pilgrims accommodations or contacts of pilgrims groups or associations in various countries along my trip.

Thank you for your help
Take contact with Anna , the leader of the pilgrim center in Oslo 🇳🇴. Tunsbergleden , Hærvejen and Via Romea leads to Jacobs weg zu Santiago. I also suggest you do lot’s of web research!

Ultreia!

Picture on last day on Hærvejen before border between Denmark 🇩🇰 and Germany last summer 🇩🇪
DB7CCC79-140E-484A-B472-D80B6F84E266.jpeg

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
@parisoslo , kia ora (greetings and trust you are well)

I have no particular information to impart, but possibly something of generic usefulness.

In 2010, on my first trip to Europe in over 40 years, I picked up a car in Brussels with my first stop being Bruges. This was a pilgrimage done differently. Tablets and websites and so on were in their infancy at that time, so I just drove around looking for somewhere to stay the night and encountered a hostel. Since then, when in a different place that is my first thing to look for.

Not surprisingly I tend to find them in larger cities and towns and not in smaller places.

From what I understand of your route, this type of accommodation might be as rare as hen's teeth.

Kia kaha, kia māia, kia mana'wa'nui (take care, be strong, confident and patient)

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back