• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey air mesh ventilator trampoline problem!

woody66

This is my boy !
Time of past OR future Camino
Portuguese Coastal 2021 Frances Leon/Muxia2023
Hi everyone!
I have a problem with my Osprey pack.
I decided on the pack specifically because of its brilliant reviews and it's a panel loader with numerous zipped pockets/pouches. With my lack of vision and colour vision finding gear by which pouch its in; for me seemed a better option than rummaging through the main compartment to find stuff !

I did all the right stuff when choosing /fitting my pack.
(Had a dry sack with all my gear in,shoes with orthotics etc pack felt spot on!)

I wore it packed on my normal walks with my Yankee seemed fine but upped the miles in the warm weather to see how i would cope!
I have now done four consecutive days of 10+ miles with the pack (sounds a lot but i walk 5 to 7 everyday with my boy) However after about 6 miles on day three i noticed two pressure points ;one either side of the air ventilator mesh just inside my shoulder blades(tried adjusting pack in various ways but it remained noticeable/annoying).

Yesterday hot 25 degrees thin t shirt and when i got home my daughter said i had two red marks!( IT BECAME REALLY ANNOYING)
Other than this the pack sits well and the weight is no probs at all and gives me no other issues.

I am aware that this will become a BIG issue on the Camino so needs sorting now if possible other wise my pack will become a picnic hamper ha!ha!

I have time for trial/rectify things as not walking till September!
Is there anything that i can use that others have used ;that will PERMENENTLY stick, glue or fix to the air ventilator to remedy this!

The place where padding needs to go is above where the actual mesh ventilates if that makes sense.
Thanks for any help

Woody

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Which one Osprey pack you have? How much loaded? With a properly adjusted pack you carry about 2/3 of the load on hips, 1/3 on shoulders.

Hi Woody! Did your red marks fade slowly or quickly? I'm not sure if I can envisage it, though being a panel opener I am thinking a Stratos?

It's not unusual to get a bit of redness where the pack meets the body, depends how bad it is and if you feel it could cause bigger problems. I used an Osprey Aura (old version) with a similar trampoline mesh back for a 45 day walk and every day I had a red heat rash on my lower back, where the pack sat close to my body. Just had to get used to it, and it always faded after a shower. I now use an Osprey Tempest or Escapist, with a mesh covered ridge board, with less ventilation, and still get the heat rash on my lower back on a hot day.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
On my first camino I used an Osprey Kyte 36 — that I still have and still use even though I upgraded later to their Kyte with the side-zipper on the main compartment. Nothing else abut fit/size/feel has changed.

After the first day with the pack I had wild chafing on my collar-bones. Another walker had extra foam in her bag that she had brought for padding, and she gave me some to stick over the spots. With the help of the foam pieces, these chafing spots faded by Burgos. However, by the end of the trek I had chafing at the top of my iliac crest on each side, and it was so bad it nearly bled. That started in about Sarria.

In the years since, with 2 more caminos and the same pack design/size etc… and with the original pack as my daily run-about for another 3 years after the first walk, I never had the chafing problems again.

I cannot account for what changed, but I suspect some pressure urticaria that I no longer suffer because I take an IG suppresant now.

Does the OP get hives? It might be worth taking a Reactine or a Benadryl tablet for a few days to see if the issue diminishes or resolves. If so: it’s probably a sensitivity rather than a fit problem per se, and one could consult with one’s FP about the matter if the allergy meds make it go away. It may also be worth tossing the pack into a washing machine to make sure that any manufacturing chemicals are out of it.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi and thanks everyone for their replies!

Yeah niderosa it's a Stratos and since posting this question i asked the question in Google and found this in a review from "outdoor magic" why couldn't i have found that when looking for the pack;that's sods law i suppose!

Generally we’ve found it comfortable and supportive, even with medium heavy light-packing loads, but we have found the tensioned inner seam of the suspended panel digs in to our back between the shoulder blades just enough to be a little intrusive.

A little intrusive it is not;it's bl**dy big time annoying!

You wouldn't know it would happen when being fitted even with the pack weight ed it took time to manifest itself as i said in my post.
But i like the numerous compartments which i think is a bonus for me with my limitations.

Faye its defo the pressure from the vent mesh that doing it ;i will shop for some foam as i don't think it needs to be to thick to perhaps solve the problem.

Can any of you guys with Camino experience suggest a good lightweight multi pocket /compartment backpack that doesn't have the air ventilator system;i think i'd rather have a sweaty back if i can't sort the Stratos!
Thank you all and all the best
Woody

@woody66 - get in touch with Osprey, their Almighty Guarantee is fantastic! Now that you have identified and can describe the problem clearly, they might be able to do an exchange for you? I would recommend the not-so-trampoliney models, like the Talon (the new 36L version is semi-panel opening), or the more hard wearing Kestrel? Check out their other options so you go in armed with a suggestion :)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi everyone!
I have a problem with my Osprey pack.
I decided on the pack specifically because of its brilliant reviews and it's a panel loader with numerous zipped pockets/pouches. With my lack of vision and colour vision finding gear by which pouch its in; for me seemed a better option than rummaging through the main compartment to find stuff !

I did all the right stuff when choosing /fitting my pack.
(Had a dry sack with all my gear in,shoes with orthotics etc pack felt spot on!)

I wore it packed on my normal walks with my Yankee seemed fine but upped the miles in the warm weather to see how i would cope!
I have now done four consecutive days of 10+ miles with the pack (sounds a lot but i walk 5 to 7 everyday with my boy) However after about 6 miles on day three i noticed two pressure points ;one either side of the air ventilator mesh just inside my shoulder blades(tried adjusting pack in various ways but it remained noticeable/annoying).

Yesterday hot 25 degrees thin t shirt and when i got home my daughter said i had two red marks!( IT BECAME REALLY ANNOYING)
Other than this the pack sits well and the weight is no probs at all and gives me no other issues.

I am aware that this will become a BIG issue on the Camino so needs sorting now if possible other wise my pack will become a picnic hamper ha!ha!

I have time for trial/rectify things as not walking till September!
Is there anything that i can use that others have used ;that will PERMENENTLY stick, glue or fix to the air ventilator to remedy this!

The place where padding needs to go is above where the actual mesh ventilates if that makes sense.
Thanks for any help

Woody
Hey Woody, Were you fitted to an Osprey Backpack? Although the pack brand is excellent quality, it is not a pack for everyone despite all of it's features and benefits. I used to have an old Osprey backpack, and had it fitted, but never used it. It was too large to consider bringing on the Camino in September when we are planning to walk. I sold it for a good, fair price and then went shopping for a new one, 45-55l (due to my CPAP machine). I tried on Osprey, Deuter, MEC, and Gregory. I had some very good fitters working with me to show me why the first three packs did not fit my body properly. I ended up being fit for a Gregory Zulu, with the trampoline mesh back. I do not get any red spots on my back after my trial hikes around home and can see why it was selected for fit.
I wouldn't hesitate to tell you to go to a reputable shop with a qualified fitter, and see what pack they pick for you based on the details of the walk, your body shape, and how the packs fit you. In these times when Outdoor recreation gear is very hard to find, you should be able to resell your Osprey at a slightly used price very close to what you paid retail.
I know that my solution isn't the most desirable answer, but it is how I found out that Osprey was not the pack brand for me, and am very glad that I chose what fits, not what brand I thought I needed.
I hope that this helps.

Yeah niderosa it's a Stratos and since posting this question i asked the question in Google and found this in a review from "outdoor magic" why couldn't i have found that when looking for the pack;that's sods law i suppose!

Generally we’ve found it comfortable and supportive, even with medium heavy light-packing loads, but we have found the tensioned inner seam of the suspended panel digs in to our back between the shoulder blades just enough to be a little intrusive.

You wouldn't know it would happen when being fitted even with the pack weight ed it took time to manifest itself as i said in my post.
But i like the numerous compartments which i think is a bonus for me with my limitations.

Faye its defo the pressure from the vent mesh that doing it ;i will shop for some foam as i don't think it needs to be to thick to perhaps solve the problem.

Can any of you guys with Camino experience suggest a good lightweight multi pocket /compartment backpack that doesn't have the air ventilator system;i think i'd rather have a sweaty back if i can't sort the Stratos!
Woody
Have a look at the Gregory Katmai 55l backpack... and I like the idea of talking with Osprey. But even with that said, get fitted by a pack fitter, someone that knows them and can see what they are adjusting and how it fits.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
and on the more fundamental problem-solving end of things, get a kitchen sponge and cut it to size and tuck it in "where the rubber meets the road." Often the simplest things are the answer.
Yes! That could also work if one hasn't any extra foam bits lying around the house. I think my saviour had stored the squishy but rather solid foam from packing crates and cut it... but basically a sponge!

My son has hiked three long distance trails in the US and has good luck with his Ospreys trampoline backpacks.
For his four 4-6 week long caminos he switched to an ULA ultralite CDT model backpack and it has served him well. There is nothing to cause pressure points on your back as it is shaped like a cylinder tube. It's worth a look.
P.S. In albergue settings I prefer standard top loading packs as they are not allowed on the beds so loading is more convenient sitting on a bed or chair, and not bending over having the pack laying on the floor, getting the straps potentially soiled.
Screenshot_20210610-124430~2.png

Last edited:
Try adjusting the pack in all the different ways possible and see if that relieves the pressure points. Also, you might try leukotape at the pressure points to protect your skin.
Felt on pressure points of pack, tape or ....Feminine hygiene pads on skin where the pack rests. We don't know if OP is very short or very tall, which would make the best adjustment difficult.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As a previous person wrote, contact Osprey, their warranty is superb. Also check out their app (as recommended above) as that pack is adjustable to suit your back and that app tells you how to adjust it.

I have an Exos, but the strap is now skinning me exactly where they fitted my pacemaker, my wife made me a tie on pad from sleeping pad foam in a waterproof nylon pocket, attached between chest and strap with ties. Weighs under 3 ounces and does the job perfectly. Work arounds are often a good solution to problems. Especially if they do fix the problem and cost nowt.

It is very possible that this is not an issue of having the proper fit. It appears to be what sometimes occurs despite having the appropriate sizing done: the frame is too narrow for an individual's upper back. This can affect the attachment points and size of the back mesh panel. If this is the case, there is no real adjustment that can be made to compensate for this issue, it boils down to getting a new backpack OR attempting to pad pressure points, which some have suggested above.

It is an issue I have also had with certain backpacks that I have gear tested, such as a couple of the Zpacks models.

P.S. In albergue settings I prefer standard top loading packs as they are not allowed on the beds so loading is more convenient sitting on a bed or chair, and not bending over having the pack laying on the floor, getting the straps potentially soiled.
I have used several different panel loading/zippered packs, and I assure you that I don't need to lay them on the floor to pack them up. I unzip the pack from the top and pack it while it's standing on end.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Packs are a little like shoes.....any brand/model is the right one, if it fits you. Osprey's are VERY popular on the Camino, loads of people carry them and swear by them. Yet, I could never get comfortable with one, just like I can't wear Nike shoes......they just don't fit me quite right. Rather than trying to cope with tape or sponges, why not try dating a new companion? As others have mentioned, Dueter, Gregory, and others make competing models. My wife likes the Black Diamond, and I carry a Gregory Z-40. They are all good, as long as they fit you.

Thanks everyone for your help !
Initially will try and work around the issue with padding etc.
I won't use it on Camino unless iv'e put some 10 milers in with the fix and i am certain it will work and last!
Otherwise defo buy a new pack !
I think after what Davebugg suggested he might be on the right track as i am 6' 2" and wide across my back.
All the best
Woody

Packs are a little like shoes....
Maybe a lot like shoes. We don't give a second thought to trying on multiple shoes when we're shopping for them. We all acknowledge the numerous variations in size, shape and configurations for our feet. But we often shop for packs on the basis of just size or cost or design features, as though desirability was purely a matter of the pack itself. Given the astonishing variety of human body sizes, shapes, and configurations, maybe I will pay more attention to how they fit my body.

Packs are a little like shoes.....any brand/model is the right one, if it fits you. Osprey's are VERY popular on the Camino, loads of people carry them and swear by them. Yet, I could never get comfortable with one, just like I can't wear Nike shoes......they just don't fit me quite right. Rather than trying to cope with tape or sponges, why not try dating a new companion? As others have mentioned, Dueter, Gregory, and others make competing models. My wife likes the Black Diamond, and I carry a Gregory Z-40. They are all good, as long as they fit you.
Yes, good point. I tried on pack after pack, hoping to be in the cool Osprey or Deuter crowd. But when I tried on the women's LL Bean pack (with a trapeze back), I thought "Wow, is this comfortable!". I now have this pack in three sizes, 15L, 35L, and 55L.

Hi Woody, this is not what you would expect from a good backpack. Our bodies are all different and not everything suits everyone. It might not be the brand for you. Having said that, I would definately contact Osprey, I have not delt with them but I do hear (from here!) that they do have a very good after-care service.

We have 3 Osprey Kestrals,
My husband, 6'2"wide has a 48L
My son - who was around 5'10" (at the time) got a 38L (now 6'3")
Me - 5'7" 38L
younger son has a different brand - kids size, as he was 9 when he walked hs first Camino. He is now almost 6' and will probably be 6'2-6'3"when we walk our next (3rd) Camino. We will be looking at an Osprey for him but will make sure it is fitted and if its not comfortable, we will find a brand that suits him. We are 2 hours from the nearest store, but definately worthwile going in to get fitted rather than ordering on line - IN MY VIEW.

Hi Pellegrino!
Is the size of your pack correct? Try the ospray pack sized app .Pack sizer.. this could be a wrong sized pack for you...

I have tried to download this and it is not showing (I am in Australia). Has anyone else had troubles? Great idea to consider the options!

On top of the practical to-the-point advice, I can only reiterate what a number of people have said:
Contact. Osprey.
I had a small issue with an Exos daypack and was totally amazed at the generosity and speed of their response. It may just be a fitting issue, or it may be a design issue, or both. They can help you sort that out.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Woody, this is not what you would expect from a good backpack. Our bodies are all different and not everything suits everyone. It might not be the brand for you. Having said that, I would definately contact Osprey, I have not delt with them but I do hear (from here!) that they do have a very good after-care service.

We have 3 Osprey Kestrals,
My husband, 6'2"wide has a 48L
My son - who was around 5'10" (at the time) got a 38L (now 6'3")
Me - 5'7" 38L
younger son has a different brand - kids size, as he was 9 when he walked hs first Camino. He is now almost 6' and will probably be 6'2-6'3"when we walk our next (3rd) Camino. We will be looking at an Osprey for him but will make sure it is fitted and if its not comfortable, we will find a brand that suits him. We are 2 hours from the nearest store, but definately worthwile going in to get fitted rather than ordering on line - IN MY VIEW.

I have tried to download this and it is not showing (I am in Australia). Has anyone else had troubles? Great idea to consider the options!
Strange... it is for your phone es Google play for android ( or App Store for Apple phones) then search for PackSizer

On my first camino I used an Osprey Kyte 36 — that I still have and still use even though I upgraded later to their Kyte with the side-zipper on the main compartment. Nothing else abut fit/size/feel has changed.

After the first day with the pack I had wild chafing on my collar-bones. Another walker had extra foam in her bag that she had brought for padding, and she gave me some to stick over the spots. With the help of the foam pieces, these chafing spots faded by Burgos. However, by the end of the trek I had chafing at the top of my iliac crest on each side, and it was so bad it nearly bled. That started in about Sarria.

In the years since, with 2 more caminos and the same pack design/size etc… and with the original pack as my daily run-about for another 3 years after the first walk, I never had the chafing problems again.

I cannot account for what changed, but I suspect some pressure urticaria that I no longer suffer because I take an IG suppresant now.

Does the OP get hives? It might be worth taking a Reactine or a Benadryl tablet for a few days to see if the issue diminishes or resolves. If so: it’s probably a sensitivity rather than a fit problem per se, and one could consult with one’s FP about the matter if the allergy meds make it go away. It may also be worth tossing the pack into a washing machine to make sure that any manufacturing chemicals are out of it.
Thats why I didn't buy this pack... I bought a Gregory instead. Their packs are designed specifically for women and I found that the straps were designed differently and were more open around my collar bones.

Thats why I didn't buy this pack... I bought a Gregory instead. Their packs are designed specifically for women and I found that the straps were designed differently and were more open around my collar bones.
Yeah... Gregory does not fit me at all (neither does Dueter) and the Kyte is women's fit specific. At any rate, it stopped after that first camino, and I've done 2 since with a later model (with the side panel zipper) and it's been perfect.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Woody

Hi @woody66.

I use the Stratos 34. 2000 Camino kms with it so far and it's never been a problem.
It's really comfortable and no pressure points anywhere.

Some things to think about.

They do come in different sizes/back lengths.
Did they measure you correctly in the store?

Do you have much weight in it?
They are all designed for certain load limits.
Though the load range on the Stratos 34 is 7-18kg!
So that can't be the issue.

You have the right gender version?
There is a men's fit and a women's?
Again, had to ask.......
Process of elimination

Then, just on how you wear and adjust it.

I know everyone has their way of doing things.
But I have the same pack as you and have no trouble with it.
This is how I put it on and adjust it.

First, the waist belt.
On top of the hips. cinched in well.
100% of the weight is on the belt/hips!
I could almost wear it without shoulder straps.
Only it would fall away from my back.

Then if required I adjust the shoulder straps.
These are a loose fit, only tight enough to hold the pack against my back, no more.

Then the load lifters.
Just enough to pull the top of the pack in to my back.

I can actually at this stage slide my hand in between the top of my shoulder and the shoulder straps.
So there is really zero weight on the shoulders.

Finally I pull in the sternum strap a bit.
No pressure at all on this.
It merely helps to pull the shoulder straps in a little, and makes the whole thing snug.

My wife uses the Stratos 24 ladies version.
Same process.
In 1,000 kms, no problem.

I suspect there may be something wrong with the pack..........
Can you go back to the store and have them check it, and go through the fitting again?

PS.
I'm just looking at my pack again.
You say the problem is above the ventilator panel.
OK, there isn't much above the panel except where the shoulder straps attach, and then......
Where the top of the internal frame bends forward a bit, towards your shoulders!
That must be what is rubbing? Is it?

Maybe, just maybe, you have the shoulder straps and load lifters too tight, so you are pulling those 'corners' of the frame into your shoulder? Maybe try looser, as I explained above?

There shouldn't be a need to fit any additional padding or anything.

If that doesn't help. I'd go back to store.
A bit hard to diagnose remotely
But if it's any consolation, once the store sorts it out. It's a great pack.
Really comfortable. :)
I'll be using it again on my next Camino for sure.

As you say, the size, panel zip etc, is perfect for a Camino.

I'm sure you get it sorted out.

Last edited:

Wow, sorry to hear that @woody66 . Bummer.
I looked at mine again, and indeed that seam does 'protrude a little.
Though it never caused me any issue.
Maybe still try that approach with the straps I suggested.

Thanks everyone for your help !
Initially will try and work around the issue with padding etc.
I won't use it on Camino unless iv'e put some 10 milers in with the fix and i am certain it will work and last!
Otherwise defo buy a new pack !
I think after what Davebugg suggested he might be on the right track as i am 6' 2" and wide across my back.
All the best
Woody

That could be it then.........
Try the looser shoulder straps approach before you give up though.

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Hi Robo!
Thanks for all your efforts i appreciate it!
Its a men's medium/ large pack (my back length is 21.25 inches)
My pack weight without water or food was 6.03 kilos but have trimmed it down now to 5.36 by removing things like my Osprey Airporter (replaced with heavy duty clear plastic bag)8 of the 10 gel toe protectors ha!ha!,needles and thread(cant see)taking leukotape/kt tape wrapped round a sharpie instead of whole rolls etc,etc) but it's also light because i am staying in Hotels/Casa Rurals not Albergue's!

As far as the carry the pack sits well and the weight is no probs.
I've said previously it only starts to be an issue after a few miles;from then on it gets worse.

I fit the pack in the same order you suggest;but i would be daft to exclude the fact that i might be putting much more tension against my back as i walk.
I am now wondering if i am exacerbating the issue when walking.
(A bit like chicken pox;leave them alone or the more you scratch the more they itch)
To try and stop the annoyance i must pull the pack even tighter to my back,which worsens the issue i suppose.
Another thing i hadn't considered ; is my G/dog he pulls like a tractor which again must distort the way the pack sits!! (he weighs 90lbs and is a bug*er but i love him)

To be really specific about where the problem is:
They are the two raised lumps are the left and right top fixing points for the air mesh to attach to the body of the pack;but they rub the bone on and slightly inside my shoulder blades.
I have tried on a couple of other packs in my local store that have air mesh suspension backs;and they both hit me in the same place immediately without moving a muscle.
So is it as Dave Bugg suggested?

I emailed Osprey care on the 17th and again on Monday but no response from them yet!
But still about 90 days before i fly (if i can /i am allowed)so no panic yet.

I will defo give it another go and post whether things have improved.

To be honest Yankee and his effect never entered my thick head!
All the best thanks again
Woody.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.