• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

osprey aura 35

molle

I have a question about the backpack i just bought.
Its an Osprey womens aura 35, the one with airflow. Im not used to wear a backpack, so im not sure if it fits like it should.
1.Because of the ventilation in the back there is a big empty space between the pack and my back, and im worried about how healthy it can be, because the weight is so far away from the back and i feel "out of contact with the weight". (sounds nice :wink: , but feels wrong)

2. The straps are close to my neck and a little bit annoying to the muscles, shouldnt the straps be further away from the neck or is it something i have to get used to??

I have had guidance in the shop where i purchased it, but now that im home, im just not sure if its the right choise :? ?
Have you had similar problems with your backpack as a beginner (and maybe realiazing that the problem was having to learn to accept the extra load)??

Hope that some of you experienced pilgrims can help me with this.

Sending my good thoughts to you all :D Molle

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have the Osprey Atmos 50 which is a larger (and mens) version of the 35. It is the most comfortable pack I have ever had. Since it is designed for the weight to be carried on your hips the space between the pack and your back is not a problem. Similarly, if the weight is on your hips there should be little weight or strain on your shoulders. If you have not already done so, have the shop person recheck the fit with the pack loaded.

I have the same pack as you but I have the 50L. It is fantastic! I think you're best to go back to the store and have it checked again - maybe you have the wrong size? The packs come in S, M and L. They will measure you from your neck to your waist and then let you know which pack size you need. I origionally chose the small but had similar problems to you, now I have the medium and it is perfect. In fact, I just recently also bought the osprey stratos 18 to use as my 'training' backpack - whilst I train I don't want to be carrying all my camino gear, but still want a backpack I can carry a rainjacket, jumper, some food etc in. It is terrific and i love the airflow back. I normally sweat terribly on my back with backpacks - I hardly do with this design. So keep in there, go and see if you need a bigger size and also, if you've packed it ready to go on the camino, check you've distributed the weight correctly - the people you bought it from should know this. Also, if you look on the Osprey site they have the information re which size to choose. Good luck! Jane

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi Janeh! I have only heard good things about this backpack and dont doubt the quality,thats why i dont bring it back to the store right away, just wanne give it a chance :D . The problem for me is no longer the airflow-system, actually that seems to be brilliant, especially when the weather becomes warmer, and I dont have that much bagage with me (ca. 4.5 kg.)its more that the straps dont seem to fit around my shoulders the way they should, they just feel wrong. But i will go to a physioterapist and bring the pack, to get an expert-opinion about the fitting :) (Have to go to the physioterapist anyway) .

My best of thoughts Molle

Hi again to Jeff & Janeh! Im going the physiotherapist next friday, because even though I had the pack fitted in the store (with my jacket on!), I need an expert opinion due to an old injury in my neckmuscle (I thought that it was over years ago, but after Ive walked around with this pack yesterday, I feel some pain again :( ), maybe it will be the same with backpacks in general or maybe its necessary with another kind of strapsystem, on this osprey the pressure is exactly on the "thick" part of the muscle and the straps are not padded. I will find a solution to this :) .Thanks Jeff and Janeh for sharing your backpack-experience with me. Molle

Osprey packs might be very comfortable but bear in mind that they're also very heavy - the 35 at just under 1.4 kg and the 18 at just under 0.9 kg

I'm hoping to use an inov-8 22 litre pack that weighs under 0.6 kg - and since I want total weight to be between 5-6 kg, pack weight does matter

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I agree with Spursfan. Over 1kg for the pack itself seems a bit much.
If you are walking in summer and can keep your pack weight down to under 6kg you don't need inner frames and wide padded hip belts. My Prolite 30L weighs 650gr and I even had sufficient space in it to pack my boots into it whilst I walked in sandals.
If you are walking in winter though, you will need a larger pack to accommodate bulkier and more clothing. Then a good hip belt might be necessary.

I just got back from my Camino and used the Osprey 35. I loved it. At first I too could not understand the neck thing and the shop I bought it at fitted me properly and I learned how to use it. I felt absolutely no pressure on my neck. A ll the weight was on the hips and the neck straps were there to just stabilize it. In other words there was no weight on my neck muscles. It's all about how the straps are secured.
As fas as large enough, oh yes, you do not want any larger for it means you can take more stuff, ie more weight. The only complain I had was I could not reach around and grab my water bottle from the side pockets. I had a very friendly walking partner that looked out for me and got my water bottle for me, otherwise I would forget to drink. My fanny pack was not adequate for carrying the bottle. I bought a new fanny pack that has two water bottle holsters and I like it very much. Accesiblity to the water is a must. Wish I had throughout the Camino.
Have fun!
Lillian

Hard to find a pic of me showing the aura 35 from the side. I am in Santiago here. You can see the top of the pack is above my neckline, meaning the straps are also off my neck muscle. So keep playing with the pack and straps until it feels right.
Having Fun
Lillian

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi again! wauw :shock: 650 grams for a backpack , in denmark theres unfortuanately no where to buy the golite backpacks (as well as the aarenpacks).
To Lil , thank you so much for the picture of you and your osprey. :D Its nice the blue color :D , (I bought the wine-red ). Maybe i'll keep it maybe I wont.First of all, I will bring the pack with me to the physiotherapist next week and ask for guidance about fitting and finding out if the pack is the best choise for me. I must add, that when i fill the pack with my stuff, theres stil 10-12 liters unused space left. I will keep you posted about the backpack-situation.
I wish you all a nice november-weekend :D Molle :D

Thought I would offer my Osprey Aura experience to the discussion. I had done a lot of careful research on backpacks. After reading everything I could get my hands on, I concluded that the Aura 50 or 35 would be the best pack for me...and had my heart set getting one in that lovely blue colour....then I set off to find a store that had them in stock in my likely sizes of small and medium....so that I could try on each size just to be sure of getting the right fit.......but when I went to try them on.....they simply did not fit my body...the neck thing was a real pain and the hip belt did not fit well...and no amount of adjustments by the extremely knowledgeable pack fitter at the store would make it work....in fact knowing how much I wanted this model ....he told me that he simply could not sell me either the 35 or 50 liter pack...as he said...if it does not fit now in the store...it certainly will not fit properly after 20+ klms......he made me try on and he fitted me with every pack in the store.... which took over 2 hrs.....I could not believe that there was not a pack to be had out of the many they had in the store that would fit me properly ...a few weeks later and in a different store I repeated the lengthly process (but saved some time as we had eliminated many models on our first try!) and I finally found a pack that fit.....I happily ended up purchasing ..... a Gregory Jade 50 litre pack (which cinches down to be almost smaller than the Aura 35)...this pack fits me absolutely perfectly...and I believe it is much lighter than the Osprey Aura bags.... Every body is different and each pack will fit each of us differently....do not give up in your search for the one that fits like it was made just for you!

I plan on making my first Camino in May 2008 I think it would be unwise to take either boots or a pack that do not fit 100%.

and my contribution.....

I'd set my heart on the Berghaus 35, tried it out in the shop and it felt great - the most comfortable backpack I'd ever worn BUT I didn't try it with full weight. Ifound it online and tried to order it, only to discover (luckily) that it was out of stock. In the meantime I'd had some discussion with Janeh (above) about her osprey although I felt that the 50 would be too large for me. A couple of weeks ago I dragged my longsuffering partner into yet another outdoor store to try on the berghaus again. Here they were totally geared up to fit and pack backpacks. As soon as the Berghaus was loaded and I'd walked round the shop and up and down a couple of flights of stairs it became apparent that it wasn't the one for me, the shoulder straps aren't adjustable and it felt WRONG. Then I tried the Aura 35, first in the small and then in the medium, the medium felt good initially but after a couple of trips round the shop it was clear that the straps over the shoulder were digging into my under arm and there was no way to adjust them in order to prevent this.

We are all shaped differently and what fits one may cripple another - at least now I know which packs I WON'T be taking!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello again! A short update on the backpack-situation. The Osprey Aura 35 backpack didnt fit me, it was just a couple of cm to short for me and its returned to the store. I have to wait to get me another backpack (since I have a tence neckmuscle that needs some more treatment before I can try the backpacks on). Do You have any experience with this pack :Gregory Advent Pro??= Size: 35 liter Weight: 1.2 kg.
Molle :D

I purchased the women's Gregory Jade 50l pack ...after the Aura 50 did not fit me either...it is extremely light..and although it is 50 litres it can be cinched down to 35l or less...and when cinched it does not come up high behind the neck...maybe you should try it on, as well as the Gregory Advent...I found that the sizes run larger on the Gregory packs..a small Gregory is about the same as medium in other brands...

Hi Marilyn, its good to know about the sizes, that - "medium isnt always medium". It sounds like gregory is an ok brand in backpacks, right?. By the way unfortunately its not possible to find the Gregory w jade 50 here in Dk. Thanks for the answer, Molle
Ps: Lillian did you get my e-mail?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
If you have got about $115 to spare for an ultralight backpack, you should consider the Mariposa which also comes in S, M, L and weighs between 16oz and 18oz (450g to 500g).
It has received great reviews, one from a guy who used it on a 2500km hike. Check it out here:
http://www.gossamergear.com/cgi-bin/gos ... ndard.html

Hello again! Sorry that I have been away for a while, I have read the post from You all and thank so much for the replies. I have been busy moving to a new flat and there has been so much practical stuff to deal with, I just didnt have the time to write. Okay, I have tried some different backpacks, but still havent decided which one, :The Gregory advent pro, have nice shoulderstraps, the right length, but the hipbelt is almost to large for me (and the fabric is very noisy, allmost like a plasticbag!!). Im leaning towards the Osprey exposure 36, since it fits allright. The only problem is that it hasnt got any sidepockets (i believe that it's made for mountainclimbing). I had no idea that getting the right backpack was going to be such a great problem :) Well, well thats just the way it is and if thats my biggest problem its not to bad. Looking forward to my camino this spring. :D Molle
Ps: Hi Lillian, I have tried to send an e-mail, but unsuccesfully.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I highly recommend the 30 liter Prolite packs for ladies. http://www.prolitegear.com/camp_x3_600.html

"30 liter hyperlight pack designed for ski-mountaineering and alpine climbing. Features the exclusive Xpress ski carrying system that allows the user to attach and remove skis quickly without removing the pack. Weighs just 600 g / 21.2 oz!"

Attachments

• camp_x3_600_pack_rg.jpg
    camp_x3_600_pack_rg.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 5,441
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yii-haa :D !! Finally I found the right backpack for me, after searching for so long... And the winner is: :shock: Ospreys Talon 33 :D . It fits me perfectly, is easy to adjust into the right torso-length and the hipbelt has the right size as well (important). Weight: 850 gr., size m/l. And small enough to bring inside the plane-cabin as handlugage. Well now that Im in such an optimistic mood, I will put on the Talon 33( which is my new sweetheart!) and have a nice long walk in the beautiful sunshine 8) . Buen camino, Molle :D

Fantastic news...I can certainly relate to the struggles you went through to find "your" new best friend...I went through the same thing before finding my Gregory Jade 50!

I went to the Osprey web site to check your pack out....it looks nice...but what colour did you get...Spicy Chili, Moonlight Blue, or Acid Green? They all look so refreshing.....almost makes one think it will be no weight at all over the long winding Camino!!!

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn! I bought the backpack in moonlight blue. The color is not exactly the same as shown in the picture on Ospreys homepage, its a little less shiny-blue, more neutral-blue and the white isn't white but is instead lightgrey. Actually I wanted the backpack in acidgreen( which, by the way, is yellow :wink: ) but it was sold out and would take the store 3-4 weeks to get it home (and I just couldn't wait for so long..) But it turns out to be for the best, because I have fallen in love with this blue colored backpack. It looks and feels fantastic :D . Buen Camino! Molle :D

€46,-
I'm glad you have found your perfect backpack! I have been watching the forum to see which packs are mentioned, which features, and pick up a few pointers, pros and cons, because I wanted to narrow the field a bit before I started looking. But it only made it worse ... so many great ones to choose from, and each choice means excluding something else. :wink:

All the best,
LM

I wrote a long and detailed entry for this thread - and then managed to delete it somehow :roll:
However I'd like to echo the above post, after all the trying on, walking up and down steps in outdoor stores, packing and repacking different packs I've settled on the osprey aura 35! My initial trial with it hadn't been a great success but on re visiting the store and adjusting everything that could be adjusted I realised that it was the pack for me. It had its first outing over the weekend and although I didn't put full weight into it it was still fairly hefty, once it was on my back I really didn't notice it was there much to the amusement of my partner who kept saying 'will you carry this for me', 'can I put this in your pack', 'is there room for....' A gentle stroll but a good opportunity to test pockets, straps and general comfort

now I have to settle on boots!

JaneB wrote:now I have to settle on boots!

The most important choice you'll make!

Be sure, once you determine boots or shoes (I've worn both and top of the line Merrells are for me)that the sales person IS a hiker. They understand proper fitting and will ask the right questions: type of terrain, weather expectations, weight of your pack full, etc/ If they don't..go somewhere else! You will benefit!

Buen non blisters Camino,
Arn

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
with the added complication, as already detailed elsewhere, that I had major reconstructive surgery on the ligaments in my ankle some years ago. The reason that the choice of boots has taken so long is because I have to be absolutely sure that I've got it right or my camino will be over on the first day, I'll never manage the downhill into Roncesvalles (and YES, I really want to start in StJ) :D

Good on ya! You'll do fine.

On reconstruct and the ankle. I went out of a helo rather suddenly from 30 feet off the deck. When I landed my left ankle was severely injured. In that this was a deep insertion and I didn't want to leave my men, I duc taped an antenna to my foot as a splint and humped for the next several days until we were recovered. Sadly, the damage was done...had I returned immediately I would have a 100% left ankle.

Now, if your surgery was a success, you should be good to go..up or down, down being more stressful. If your boots (and I'd suggest over the shoe) are well sized for you, on the down hills, the stress will be taken up at the laces...not the toe and the ankle will be in a support, not primary role.

Can't wait to read about your Camino and all the great times you had...going both up the hills and back down the other side.

Buen "ain't no hill for a stepper" Camino,
Arn

JaneB said:
that I had major reconstructive surgery on the ligaments in my ankle some years ago.

You may have to wear a different (larger) boot size if you wish to go the multi-sock, ankle supporter route. I wore a size 11 boot so that I could accomodate one pair of liner socks, a thicker outer sock, and a thin foot support sock. I saw a lot of folks wearing various types of support gear (knees, feet, etc.).

Some of those items are available on the Camino in farmacias, but it may be best to have those ducks in line before you get there... :arrow:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Have any of you tried the new Aura (or Atmos) compared to the old ones? Are they better for keeping the weight closer to the back, or worse for the seemingly flimsier harness? It seems odd to tamper with perfection ... so I am very intrigued. My own Camino has been postponed until next year, so I am no longer in any hurry to get my pack sorted and am enjoying looking and reading up in this forum!

nidarosa said:
Have any of you tried the new Aura (or Atmos) compared to the old ones? Are they better for keeping the weight closer to the back, or worse for the seemingly flimsier harness? It seems odd to tamper with perfection ... so I am very intrigued. My own Camino has been postponed until next year, so I am no longer in any hurry to get my pack sorted and am enjoying looking and reading up in this forum!

I used the Aura 35 last year to do the Camino Francés and absolutely loved it as my back did not get sweaty at all. I had a bit of a lower backache on the 2nd day, simply because I was not used to carrying a backpack - after that I found it extremely comfortable. This year, for doing the Via de la Plata, I have decided I needed a slightly larger backback - I am setting off on 1st October and I'll need to carry some cold weather gear for November - so I have gone for the new model Aura 50.

At first look the internal frame seems to be curvier than the old model - however the pack feels just as comfortable on my back. I'll post again when I get back to let you know how I got on with it. (Obviously it won't be a true comparison as the pack is larger and a bit heavier than my old-model Aura 35.)

Isabelle

I discovered that while some packs come in S,M,L that this not only effects the frame size but also the pack volume.

I was looking at a Gregory Z55 but as a large it has a 60 L capacity which was to much, but the frame fit oh so well!. So I went with a Gregory z35R which has an identical frame to it's bigger brother but a smaller bag - at a large size, the Z35R has a 40l capacity which fits all my gear and then some, the roll top is pretty neat too.

While it is a bit heavier (1.45 kg) - I have found, through many years of hauling packs, that a good frame can really offset the extra weight and then some - I much rather carry 15KG on a good frame than 10KG on a poorly supporting one.

Fitment is everything, Congrats in finding the right bag for you.

isabelle304 said:
nidarosa said:

I used the Aura 35 last year to do the Camino Francés and absolutely loved it as my back did not get sweaty at all. I had a bit of a lower backache on the 2nd day, simply because I was not used to carrying a backpack - after that I found it extremely comfortable. This year, for doing the Via de la Plata, I have decided I needed a slightly larger backback - I am setting off on 1st October and I'll need to carry some cold weather gear for November - so I have gone for the new model Aura 50.

At first look the internal frame seems to be curvier than the old model - however the pack feels just as comfortable on my back. I'll post again when I get back to let you know how I got on with it. (Obviously it won't be a true comparison as the pack is larger and a bit heavier than my old-model Aura 35.)

Isabelle

Am now back from doing the Via de la Plata with the Aura 50. Unfortunately I did not find it as comfortable as my old Aura 35 - and can't quite put my finger on why this is the case. I found that my back got quite sweaty with this one, and the frame was also too curvy for me (it exasperated me so much that I even stepped on it a couple of times to try and flatten it a bit - but that was unsuccessful, that flimsy-looking frame is actually quite tough!). The belt of the Aura 35 had sat quite nicely on my hips, which meant that I never have to bear the weight of the bag on my shoulders. Annoyingly, the belt of the Aura 50 only fitted "properly" around my waist - even tied tightly I was ALWAYS aware of the pack weighing and pulling back on my shoulders. Obviously it makes sense that I should be more aware of a 50L pack than a 35L one (difference of weight and all that), but one thing is sure is that I wont' be using my Aura 50 again - by the end of the trip I absolutely hated it :( .

(Not quite sure what to do with it now - I doubt I can even donate it to a charity shop :?: ).

I like Crux rucksacks - they are comfortable, come in different back sizes, and are simple and strong. The other advantage for me was that when it hurt, I remembered that Crux means Cross and that I was a pilgrim.

Andy

I too have the Aura 35, but I do remember that before I knew how to adjust the straps, it too felt "diferent". So I wonder if your 50 could have had some belt adjustments until it felt right. Takes a bit of loosening and pulling here and there until it's right. And it must be packed to do it.
LIllian

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I like my Vaude 40 Tour for women - fits med perfect.
annie :D

Isabelle,
I can't imagine wearing an uncomfortable pack for 1000 kms on the Via de la Plata!
I see myself tieing a rope to it and dragging it behind me like a reluctant dog on a leash.

As for giving it to goodwill, the next owner may have just the right body for it and find that the pack is a perfect fit.

David, Victoria, Canada.

In Wilna Wilkinson's book "The Way of the Stars and the Stone" she resorts to carrying her pack like a baby at one stage, using her sarong to tie it on her back.
African women are able to carry loads on their heads, baby on back and goods in their hands this way. This might be an idea to relieve those shoulders from time to time!

Attachments

• Baby on Back.jpg
    Baby on Back.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 3,136
David's and Sil's comments have reminded me of a young pilgrim called Alberto whom I met on the VdlP. I first encountered him at the albergue in Fuente de Cantos - his rucksack only weighed about 8 or 10 kgs but he was struggling with the weight. When I saw him again, just leaving Zafra, he had bought (in one of those "Chinese" shops often encountered on the camino), a cheap shopping trolley like those elderly ladies use, had removed the part that's used to carry the shopping so that he was left with the trolley only and was using that to pull his rucksack along! Whenever he had to walk up a steep or rocky bit of the path, then he would wear the rucksack as normal, with trolley still attached, on the other side of it. It looked kinda weird but I was very tempted to follow his example :D I did not see him again after Villafranca de los Barros as I was going too slowly to keep up, but I hope his trolley lasted till Salamanca (which was his destination)..

Maybe we should start a new thread on alternative ways/methods of carrying your rucksack! :D

Great possibility for those who don´t want or aren´t able to carry their belongings.

Attachments

• Close to Villafranca Montes de Oca May 2009.jpg
    Close to Villafranca Montes de Oca May 2009.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 3,110
In 2008 a young man with a hydraulic leg - left-leg above-knee amputee - was planning to walk the camino. He had a special cart made with a hitch-bar to fit onto a waist band. This was his post:

el-camino-frances/topic3940.html#p21631

I wonder if he ever did it?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Isabelle, I have tried the Aura on and found, like you, that it seemed the curve was tighter than on the old model. And I absolutely love the new specs on the 2011 version, not to mention the colour, so I reeeally wanted to want it - but it dug into my hips and felt sort of wrong. Such a shame.

Update: The new 2012 version is much more comfortable, in my opinion, it seems the frame has that wider curve again, or maybe it's just me ... I got it and it's brilliant! (apart from the stow on the go thingy, it's really stiff and scratched my arm so I cut it off ) I just came back from my Camino from St Jean to Santiago yesterday and can honestly say the pack made the walk even more enjoyable - it was light, admittedly, but I hardly noticed the weight on my hips.

Linda

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.