• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Aura 50 experiences?

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Enjoying the camino since 2009
Hi all and happy May Day! I am trying to assemble my St Olav's Way kit on a budget, using my Camino clothes and adding a lightweight tent, sleeping pad and down bag plus more food and cooking equipment. On the Camino I carried an Osprey Aura 35 litre pack, the latest 2012 model, and it was perfect in every way. So when I came across a cheap second hand Aura 50 litre in the previous 2011 version (the light blue or brown ones), I got it. It is brilliantly organised and takes all the kit - in fact it takes more stuff than a 65 litre pack I tried - and the back length and harness fit me perfectly.

But ... the join or seam where the padded belt is connected to the main frame sort of presses into my er ... let's say curvy behind. I have this theory that it will fit better if I lose weight so the padded belt wraps around tighter. If you are curvy too and used this model Aura, did you feel the pinch from that join? Did it get better with use because the padding adapted or flattened? Or if you are slim, did you not notice? I would love to keep it and intend to lose weight before I go next year, but if it doesn't make a difference, I will have to get another pack to train with fully loaded. Any comments or advice are very much appreciated!

Buen camino,
Linda

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used that pack and loved the fit. While it felt wonderful, I did not like the fact that the bag was half empty all the time! Torn between sticking with it and downsizing to a smaller bag (but the other Osprey harnesses are not as good as that one)

As for how curvy I am....I have a big butt although I'm not enormous (165cm tall, 58kg) Didn't have ANY issues with it. Hope you can make it work for you. I imagine it would be a wonderful size for the amount of gear you'll be carrying.

Hi, Rachael, thanks for your reply! See, that supports my theory that the belt fits slimmer people better and that gives me hope. My kit weighs less than ten kilos at the moment, and I don't think it can get any lighter, but I can ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.