• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

osprey aura 50 vs osprey sirrus 36

jleesnow

Time of past OR future Camino
Fraces - Sept-Oct 12
Hey guys I'm looking for some input and I'm hoping you can help!
My girlfriend and I will be walking the Camino Frances next spring and I'm going to buy her a backpack for Christmas so like the title mentions I'm deciding between the osprey aura 50 and the sirrus 36. She's already been fitted so I know her size and I've used osprey packs on many trips so I know they're great.
My problem is that I know women pack differently and we will be continuing in Europe for another month after the Camino so I'm not sure if the extra space is necessary. I could always exchange it if she thinks it's too small/large but I thought I'd get opinions first. Does anyone have experience with either of them?
Gracias!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Main thing is that it fits. Seems you've got that covered.
I'd be having a hypothetical conversation with her about amount of stuff she thinks she'd be taking if she were to take a long walk......
Experience would dictate that 36l is plenty big enough. I took a 50 last year as I was carrying gear for my daughter as well - and even then it was too large. And the bigger it is, the more you can be tempted to pack and then you have to carry it.
Two sets of clothes will see you along the Camino and for another month in Europe - if she really wants that little black dress and some heels (or whatever) you could always send a parcel ahead to Santiago to pick up when you've finished walking.

My girlfriend and I will be walking the Camino Frances next spring and I'm going to buy her a backpack for Christmas so like the title mentions I'm deciding between the osprey aura 50 and the sirrus 36. She's already been fitted so I know her size and I've used osprey packs on many trips so I know they're great.
My problem is that I know women pack differently and we will be continuing in Europe for another month after the Camino so I'm not sure if the extra space is necessary. I could always exchange it if she thinks it's too small/large but I thought I'd get opinions first. Does anyone have experience with either of them?
Gracias!
Hola, Pilgrims!
I have the Sirrus 36 and found it amazingly roomy for what I needed on the Camino. I also had another "dressier"outfit to wear once I was on my way home. It was a great fit for me! I also had a sturdy, but light-weight, laundry bag that I used to keep my pack in at night (no bedbugs, pls!) which I treated with the only thing that keeps bed bugs away, pemethrin. I only sprayed the outside of my backpack, and kept my clothes and necessities in over-sized plastic bags which helped with the repacking, too.
Good luck and Buen Camino! It is a great experience!!!
Bozzie
(Dee Anne from Dallas)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I used an Osprey Exos 46 for my Camino and found it too big, I'm now looking at a new pack in the 32-36L range.

It is not one of the 2 options you mentioned but I used the Osprey Atmos 35 (the male model of the Aura although am female) on 4 Caminos and I still love it!

35L is more than sufficient and even leaves room for food - packing well is the key. I roll up everything and use zip-lock plastic bags to organize.

You can't go wrong with Osprey (have their Talon 22 for weekend hikes).

I just bought myself an Osprey 30 l Hornet to train with and hopefully walk with eventually. Bought it online so I don't really know if the fit is right...time will tell! My thinking is that I will just HAVE to limit my packing so that I don't need anything bigger. I'm guessing it might be nice to buy a new 'frock' and shoes when I finish the walk! I have loaded up the pack with just some towels with the plan of doing some 10k walks to improve my fitness. Not sure if that's the way to do it, but it's my current plan!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I leave in 3 weeks and have only just bought my Osprey Talon 33... I am hoping it will prove big enough I have not packed it as yet ....:confused:

As others have said, the 36L is more than sufficient. I used a 32L and my wife a 25L when we did the Frances in May/June of this year and no problems. The smaller size will encourage you to take less and you will be glad you did.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I make my living as a guide and travel A LOT. Here is my best advice: Less is more. Forget the rain cover, use a large, heavy duty plastic trash bag and just bag the stuff that needs to stay dry (extra clothes, sleeping bag). Westerners often make the mistake of carrying way more crap than one really needs. It's Europe, the first world and that includes Spain AND the Way of Saint James. If you really need it, you'll find it. Believe me. Wanna have a really good time? Leave your valuables at home and carry less. And that equals a smaller pack...
Good luck and Buen Camino
Robin

The Hornet liste above looks good another option for people in the US is the GoLite Jam 35L. At 1 pound 11 oz (760 grams) and a listed cost in the US of 99.99 it is very competitive to the Osprey packs.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi,
I've got a Osprey Talon 44 rucksack for my first Camino journey, its really lightweight and comfortable to wear. It may be a bit larger than I require but actually weighs less than some smaller sacks, packing light so will have loads of extra room...maybe pick up some goodies before I leave Santaigo!
Buen Camino
Aidan

Hi,
my thought would be to buy her a gift certificate for the store and allow her to choose for herself. From reading reviews here and elsewhere before my camino in March this year, I had decided upon a Osprey Kestral 48. After actually trying it on and walking around the store with it loaded on several occasions I decided it wasnt for me and finally decided upon a slightly heavier Lowe Alpine bag, which fit like a glove and which I loved from the minute I put it on and on every (well most) kilometre of the walk. A lady's bag is a very personal thing!

Im continuing my Camino this September and got myself an Asolo Ultralight 40 from Amazon for a $76.00, what a steal. Compared to my last years gear of 21lbs. With this Asolo I'm able to drop my gear weight to 13.5 lbs. the pack weigh 1.11 ounces and it fits great. Check it out. Pack light and be comfortable, you wont need much.

Gracias!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am taking the Osprey Aura 50L. It might be big, but I don't plan to fill it. I bought it because of the air suspension back and because of all the packs I tried on, the Aura fit like a glove. Finally, a pack made for me!

First of all, forget about the "male vs. female" models of backpacks. Yes, some packs do have features that are made to generally fit a man or woman better, but the truth of the matter is that we all have unique bodies. Slim men can wear women's packs, and "less petite" women sometimes prefer men's packs. It is all about fit, fit, FIT! If your pack doesn't fit, your trip will be miserable.

I recently picked up the Osprey Atmos 50. It is a bit bigger than I need (only have 17 pounds in it), but in the event that I pick up some souvenir along the way that can't be mailed home immediately, I'll have some extra room. Plus, this isn't going to be a "1-trip pack." I needed a pack big enough to use for future trips, so the 50 was just the right size. Remember- you can always cinch your pack down, but you can't make it bigger!

Good luck! Buen camino!

The bigger the pack the greater the temptation to bring "the kitchen sink"! Mrs Sixwheeler tends to fill the space available. Given choice opt for smaller and lighter; decide on the real essentials that you can't do without and leave the rest. You arrived in western Europe in the 21st century so not exactly beyond civilisation so you will survive.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I agree with Robin, Sixwheeler, and Rory. The smaller the pack, the better, and somewhere in the 30's seems to be the most usable size. Fit is most important, don't get stuck with gender. Make sure you have a pack cover that fits it well when it is full.

Hi, I have the Aura 35 and the 50, and I have tried the Sirrus on several times. For me it's important to reach the water bottles in the side pockets, which I can do on the Auras, but not the Sirrus. Also the Auras fit me perfectly and the Sirrus doesn't. I walked the Camino for six weeks last year with my 35 litre Aura and it was enough for all my stuff, but next time I will actually bring the 50 instead - both have the big stuff pocket at the front, bottle pockets, zipped pockets that are easily accessible from the outside, but with the 50 litre I can pack my boots inside the pack when I use my Tevas, I can take bread, cheese and other foods without worrying about squashing them (banana, anyone?), I can fit an extra bit of clothing in there if I have to get something along the way (last time I had to buy a sleeping bag, a fleece hat and an Altus), and if you are travelling a bit afterwards she might want to get herself a dress or a new pair of trousers, or some souvenirs ... out of the two you mentioned I'd go for the Aura, but if you want to go smaller than 50 litre, what about an Aura 35?

That said, I agree with Lorraine - you could get a certificate and let her choose.

Buen Camino!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have a Ospray Talon 44 too and like they guys before I absolutely love it and the bit of spare room came in handy for extra food (and the shopping trip in Santiago :rolleyes:) The size you will need also depends on your physiology, I have a very long upper body and even the long verson of Talon 44 was just long enough (and at 1.1kg / 2.4 lbs it is still lighter than may smaller packs) many smaller bag are respecively shorter and that can be a problem for some people.

I would suggest you find a pack that is fits your body, is comfortable and lightweight and don't worry about the litres as long as everything fits inside.

Just a note on volume in general:

a) volume is calculated differently by each brand
b) the design (e.g. straight back vs. air flow) changes the the usability of the volume availabe

so in the end the litres stated are at best a guideline.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.