• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey backpack rain cover?

Ahhhs

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to Santiago, May 2015
Porto to Santiago, April 2016
Muxia-Finisterre-Santiago, April 2016
Camino Del Norte, April 2017
My Osprey pack came with the rain fly which seemed like a nice addition. I haven't really used it much as it rarely rains in my area. It seems like I've read somewhere on this forum that the pack cover doesn't work that well. I will be taking a decent poncho and am wondering if I should leave the pack cover at home.

Is it helpful to use it on misty days? Have you found it useful in heavy rain? Do you like yours?
Is a poncho enough?

Thanks for any input.
Laurel

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I use the seperate osprey raincover and it works fine for me. I guess if you bring a poncho, there is no need for an extra raincover.

My Osprey pack came with the rain fly which seemed like a nice addition. I haven't really used it much as it rarely rains in my area. It seems like I've read somewhere on this forum that the pack cover doesn't work that well. I will be taking a decent poncho and am wondering if I should leave the pack cover at home.

Is it helpful to use it on misty days? Have you found it useful in heavy rain? Do you like yours?
Is a poncho enough?

Thanks for any input.
Laurel
On the first Camino (Frances) it rained a lot, and we had the separate Osprey rain covers for our Osprey packs, they worked well, but after much use developed a number of small holes (leaks), but Osprey has a lifetime warranty and readily replaced the cover. Now, as extra protection, I spray the raincovers with Scotchguard. My wife feels more secure in airports and busy cities if she keeps her pack covered with the rain cover. She thinks it is less attractive to thievery. I'm more interested in keeping the pack and its contents dry, than my person.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used my Osprey pack cover and it worked great, even in heavy rain. I would definitely bring it, especially since the pack came with it already attached.
I did give the pack cover a spray down with scotch-guard prior to my Camino and also if I knew I would be walking on a rainy day I lined the inside of my pack with a 20 gallon trash bag I brought.

Not familiar with Osprey but a separate rain cover is still very useful in light rain/mist and when setting down your backpack on wet ground. Buen Camino! SY

We use a different raincover. It is a flightbag to protect the backpack on the conveyerbelts at the airports . You can lock them with a very small padlock. not that this helps against theft but specially at airports nowadays nobody knows somebody puts something in it when your luggage is out of sight. The raincover is fluorescent yellow , handy as it arrives at the airport luggagebelt and also we used it to be seen when we walked alongside busy roads in Portugal.

Today we bought two carabine hooks. Several times we read on this forum backpacks were stolen out of the opened luggagecompartments of buses waiting at busstations. We connect the backpacks to each other with these carabine hooks. (2€ each) The bulk by then will be bigger so maybe a thief does not like to run away with a double portion ,weighing about 14 kgs
I read about this solution here on this forum so thought this could be handy.
I was shocked to see at busstations in a.o.Santiago Ferrol , Vigo and Porto that the luggagecompartments of ALSA and MON buses where opened for a long time and unattended so everybody could come close to the bus and pinch your belongings while you were sitting in the bus and being surprised your backpack had gone at your final destination.

Even worse was when we traveled by bus from Santiago to Ferrol and the bus stopped many times in busy streets and marketplaces and the compartments were opened to let in prams, bags full of market purchases etc. Noboby watched your belongings and anybody could run away with your things.
Back to the raincover...
When it is drizzling or foggy we wear very thin and ultraligth raincoats
When it is raining cats and dogs I wear the Altus and I look like the hunchback of the Notre Dame :p
We also got the Osprey covers with our backpacks. Normaly they stay home. Last year we used them because we travelled by car from The Netherlands to Ferrol and did not need the slightly spacier flightbags.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My Osprey cover was a very bright red/Orange which I welcomed when it was wet or misty near roads. It helped keep some peripherals dry but my main gear was within water proof sacks within the backpack. I did not have a poncho.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine is the bright reddish orange too. It only weighs 3.5 oz but does add a small bit of bulk.
Sounds like it may be useful to have on board though.

Now I'm debating deleting my rain jacket since I'll be carrying a poncho. Hmmmm.

I have walked the camino Frances twice with a light rain jacket, pack cover AND poncho.

I will take all three on my next camino.

The rain cover and jacket are good for misty, light rain. The poncho is fantastic for heavy downpours. Sometimes I used all three at the same time - everything stayed nice and dry!

The rain jacket is also useful for an extra layer of warmth in dry weather.

buen camino

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have an Osprey pack with an included rain cover and it worked great. I know some people who leave their rain covers on all the time to protect their packs when they set them down on the ground.

Is a poncho enough?

Thanks for any input.
Laurel

Ahhhhs:

Yes, Yes and Yes. A poncho is unnecessary if you have rain gear.

The only parts that get wet are the straps. You can Scotch-guard the straps.

Ultreya,
Joe

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The pack cover is useful for light showers when it isn't worth putting on raingear (poncho or jacket) as it is surprising how damp a pack can get when you yourself feel dry. It also is a deterrent to the light fingered in crowded places - think bus stations, arriving at airport etc. Some are bright coloured too so making the walking pilgrim visible, a bonus if your pack is a dark colour.
Personal choice is pack cover (not an Osprey but similar and it came with the pack and has a dedicated pocket), poncho and lightly waterproofed reversible fleece (it is the silky lining which has been lightly sprayed).

I use the rain cover a lot. I put it on nearly every day to protect my backpack from dirt, mud and sharp stones when I put it to the ground. It is easier to wash the cover than the backpack. I use a poncho too, but that I only put on in heavy rain and then you might need both the cover and the poncho. After my first camino ten years ago, when all my things got wet on my first walkingday in really heavy rain from Roncesvalles to Larresoaña, I also put a waterproof bag inside.

I have an Osprey Kestrel with the attached (velcro) raincover. I use the rain cover in ALL precipitation. Here is why...

In light mist, the rain cover, ANY rain cover, protects the pack, but not the shoulder harness or the portion of the rucksack against your back. If the rain increases, water will drain off your back and into the unprotected back panel and harness. Your pack will wick water. Your stuff will get wet, or at least damp.

In a steady drizzle or any definite rain or snow, the same thing will occur unless you are wearing a pack poncho or trekking raincoat. This is a poncho made to wear OVER your pack. It covers you, and your pack. The trekking raincoat is a knee-length front opening raincoat with sleeves and a hump back panel that unsnaps to cover a pack.

YES, some might consider it redundant to the rucksack rain cover. However, consider that, as soon as you put on a poncho or trekking raincoat over both you and the pack, your perspiration will condense on the inside of the poncho and run down onto the pack. You cannot prevent this.

So, if you wore the poncho or trekking raincoat without the pack cover, your pack would still wick and absorb condensed perspiration from the inside of your poncho or trekking raincoat. There is no getting away from this. You would run the risk of arriving at your night's lodging with wet stuff inside your rucksack. The items will not likely be soaking wet, just damp and uncomfortable.

No rucksack, except a specially designed "dry bag" can prevent the wicking. These special bags are heavier than the combination rucksack and rain cover you currently have. Most rucksacks are water resistant, NOT waterproof.

On balance, my advice is to use the rain cover whenever there is precipitation in the air, and use the pack poncho or trekking raincoat to provide improved rain cover as needed. There are many brands of rain ponchos and trekking raincoats available. I have experimented with several approaches on my two Camino Frances pilgrimages (2013, 2014).

In my considered opinion, a pack poncho made from "ny-sil" or "sil-ny" (siliconized nylon) is the optimum solution. These ponchos are lightweight, water resistant, fast to dry and you can find them in bright colors. I recommend a bright color so you contrast with your drab surroundings. The contrast is what makes you visible to others, especially oncoming drivers. Yes, they are more expensive. But, you will see many discarded lesser quality ponchos along the Camino, and not all of them disposed of properly.

I particularly like the Sea-to-Summit offerings (http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?item=Ultra-Sil®+Nano+Tarp+Poncho&o1=0&o2=0&o3=189-41). My present poncho is light blue. I preferred the brighter lime-green, but it was not available.

Several people have commented to me that the snap fasteners for this poncho are not tight enough. It is true they are nylon plastic and are not as tight as the brass fasteners frequently found on other ponchos. However, I have a nifty fix for this. I obtain 3M reflective tape from my local DIY store. Cut pieces 1" x 2" for the total number of snaps on the poncho. Snap all the fittings together as you would to wear it on the road. Apply one reflective strip over each fastened snap so it forms a "U" over the snap extending about 1" on each side of the snap.

The result is a poncho with seams that will not easily come apart and which now has 8 reflective patches facing front, and another 8 facing to the rear. I recall there are four snaps sets on each side of the poncho. If needed, you can always remove the tape or slice through it on the edge, carefully to open the snap. However, in my experience, once the snaps was fastened and taped shut, I did not need to open it again.

The first time I tried this, I used 1" wide strips of duck tape. This worked until one very rainy, windy day, when the tape tore and a couple of snaps came apart. I now have 3M reflective tape over my snaps and will use it on my next Camino in March, I think.

There are lighter ponchos on the market being made from Cuben fiber fabric. However, these ponchos are very expensive. I submit they are presently not worth the additional cost. But that is a personal, individual choice.

I hope this helps...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
an umbrella is good for both, light rain and heavy downpours

Do you use a special "hiking" umbrella or just a small, regular one?
I would be concerned about wind.

Edited to add...I now see your link above. That looks like a good one but I would still wonder about wind?

Last edited:
Mine is the bright reddish orange too. It only weighs 3.5 oz but does add a small bit of bulk.
Sounds like it may be useful to have on board though.

Now I'm debating deleting my rain jacket since I'll be carrying a poncho. Hmmmm.
If you have a good rain jacket and a good pack cover (and waterproof bag inside to put your gear in) you don't need a poncho as well.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the detailed post t2andreo. I have the ultra sil nano tarp poncho (a late night on line splurge ;) ) It's so compact and takes up no room so it will be with me in an outside pocket. I have not tried in in high winds but I like your idea about the reflective tape. I'll try that.

I just used the rain cover that came with my osprey kestrel pack and it was quite adequate. And I had two waterproof compression bags inside my pack, one for my sleeping bag and one for my change of clothes. Everything was always dry and also less bulky. Worked a treat.

Do you use a special "hiking" umbrella or just a small, regular one?
I would be concerned about wind.

Edited to add...I now see your link above. That looks like a good one but I would still wonder about wind?

indeed, i like that euroschirm hiking umbrella. walking on flat terrain is fine even if it is windy. legs get wet, but thats inevitable. if it is windy in mountains, most likely you will get wet more. last year on the descent from Cruz de Ferro to El Acebo hard wind was blowing the rain rather horizontally. umbrella worked fine, protecting head and a part of upper body from the direct hit. guys with ponchos could barely walk, because of wind. and you get wet in poncho anyway, because of perspiration.
you can find some good tips in http://francistapon.com/Travels/Advice/10-Reasons-to-Go-Hiking-and-Backpacking-with-an-Umbrella

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am not too worried about getting wet. Just thought the umbrella could catch the wind and turn inside out or break.

My plot is, has yet to be tested in extremis, from the top down:

Umbrella (hands-free)
http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...hirm-swing-hands-free-trekking-umbrella-p3301
Tilley Hat
In back pack ( Aarn Marathon Magic) - Lifeventure Dristore roll-top bags
Rohan Elite Jacket
Rohan Elite Overtrousers

So, at this stage, no poncho but if necessary will buy one in Spain and no back pack cover - ditto.

:) i've only seen one person use that umbrella before on the camino, but not against rain, but sun....HOT Mesetta HELP there is no shade type of Sun.
It looked pretty funny and a lot of peoeple laughed, but then just as many people were a bit "jealous" also, 'cause the 'no hands' thing seemed to work great. Hope it works just as well with rain an some wind.

Dont forget to post your review afterwards :)

Ahhhs,

I think it was me who posted that my Osprey pack cover failed, and it did. Inside the pack was completely soaked both in the Pyrenees and again in Galicia. Nothing was visibly wrong with it (the coating inside the nylon visually appeared in tact), but it just leaked. Osprey would probably replace it, but I've not bothered. For weight reasons, I'll use a garbage compactor bag on the inside of my pack from now on as a liner. Alternatively, I'd buy a sil-nylon or cuben fiber cover.

My advice--find a very, very rainy day before you leave and walk (or just leave it outside) with some dry clothes inside of it and see how dry they are after 6 hours. My error was not testing all gear before I left.

That being said, I would carry either rain jacket/pants/packcover or a poncho, but not both (never tried an umbrella, as I use trekking poles and do not have a free hand, so I cannot comment). I do not believe in carrying redundant rain systems--they are more versatile, but just too heavy.

Buen Camino.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The SeatoSummit poncho is a great solution IF: (1) you have a walking companion who can help you put it on., as trying to get it on while solo is almost impossible; AND (2) weather is relatively warm and wind is slight. I found it wasn't enough coverage for me: my arms got wet, and my trousers below the knee were soaked. I added gaiters to below-the-knee. Then I changed kit to an Altus-type trekking raincoat, and was very much happier.

I haven't had any trouble putting mine on over my pack by myself. Sure it's a little awkward but really not that difficult.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have an Osprey 36 pack with a pack cover. The REI guy felt this is all one needs. purchased a dry sack for the inside of the bag which weighs about the same as the plastic bag I was originally planning on using.

I have an REI sleeping bag that came with the cover. With a pack cover a pack and a cover and a sleeping bag what are the chances you think it might get wet?

Is the sleeping bag in the dry sack?
Did you waterproof the sleeping bag's stuff sack?

It is only in the stuff sack it came with. The type I got was http://tinyurl.com/kkkcejd I used camp dry which is pretty effective, but not as water proof I think as a dry sack. I am beginning to think a small dry sack would work better and very little weight difference then the sack I have now.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Ahhhs,
The Osprey pack cover is Ok when it is not raining too hard, however, my hubby and I hiked last year in the pouring rain for about 4 hours in the mountains, and NOTHING was dry on the inside of either of our packs (rain cover or no!) The only things dry were the things I had packed in ziplock plastic bags. I now have some that are 3 gallon sized for larger items like sleeping bags. We do also have purchased dry sacks, but only for small electronics and documents and those definitely work.
Janet

Not to hijack the post. But how dry is a dry sack then as compared to a sealed bag?

I slept in a wet sleeping bag once and that is enough.

Not to hijack the post. But how dry is a dry sack then as compared to a sealed bag?
Our ziplock plastic bags are thinner and more prone to tears or popping open than the dry sack closures. Ziplocks are cheaper however for some items I prefer the dry sack for the extra protection.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Just my opinion -- but I think those things make people look like walking advertisement billboards.

I used a traditional pilgrim cape last year, and I had not one single issue involving rain and the contents of my pack ; and that pack wasn't even in good repair !!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.