• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Backpack Rubbing

NomadBoomer

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances ( 2017, 2018,Aug 2023) Vdlp (2018)
I have an Osprey Exos 48 which I have used for two camino. It is a little bit too big for what I carry but I am happy with my choice on the whole except the bottom corners rub slightly on my lower back. This was not noticeable for the first few days but gradually (probably in conjunction with a sweaty top) caused skin iritation and became sore. I think I may have been the only pilgrim walking with compeed on my back :(

Does anyone else have this problem? Second walk on the vdlp this year I put some tape on my back and often walked with my fleece top around my waist under bottom of backpack. This reduced but didn't eliminate the slight discomfort.

I will be walking the CF from SJPdP August 21 and I am very reluctant to buy another pack. Any suggestions?

Cheers Paul

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
weight changes? on my last camino, the pack — also an Osprey — was perfect until the last ten days. I developed a chafing wound on each iliac crest because I had lost 2 clothing sizes and was bony in a way I had not been when the pack was purchased. this time I will be putting packing foam on my hips.

Yes, I had the same problem with the Osprey Exos 38 liter backpack. I thought my problem was that I packed it too full: 13 kg including camp gear and water/food. But after about 500 km the problems went away and now my pack is very comfortable even with the same weight.
Maybe if you pack you stuff in a different way the problem goes away. Heavy stuff more against your back and something lighter in the bottom.

I have an Osprey Exos 48 which I have used for two camino. It is a little bit too big for what I carry but I am happy with my choice on the whole except the bottom corners rub slightly on my lower back. This was not noticeable for the first few days but gradually (probably in conjunction with a sweaty top) caused skin iritation and became sore. I think I may have been the only pilgrim walking with compeed on my back :(

Does anyone else have this problem? Second walk on the vdlp this year I put some tape on my back and often walked with my fleece top around my waist under bottom of backpack. This reduced but didn't eliminate the slight discomfort.

I will be walking the CF from SJPdP August 21 and I am very reluctant to buy another pack. Any suggestions?

Cheers Paul

Yes!! I had that problem this summer - bad irritation on one hip bone where the hip strap rested. It was bad and painful.
I remembered I had body glide I used for my feet. I put a little on the affected area and it solved the issue.
So many strange pains and injuries pop up that you never anticipate!
Good luck
Lynne

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Cheers Paul

I offer the following:
1) try adjusting the shoulder straps to lift the pack from your lower back from above...pull the two tabs that sit on your shoulders.
2) ask a seamstress if she/he can sew on extra padding ( thick fleece, quilted material, a tube of ripstop stuffed with batting/foam ) on the offending areas ( you could also velcro something in a MacGiver fashion )
3) as others suggest, adjust the load itself while packing to transfer the weight to different places.

Good luck...the solution will come :)

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    9.7 KB · Views: 49
I've had difficulty with the shoulder harness straps rubbing against my upper arms and causing blisters. The pack fabric is so rough because it's meant to be durable, but hell on the skin. I found padded, soft velcro covers that actually are marketed for baby car seat straps or seatbelts...they fit nicely over the pack straps in offending areas, very inexpensive, lightweight, washable. I don't think this solves the issue of the OP, but might help others with a different rubbing area.

Have you tried experimenting with making the back pack longer or shorter ( velcro solution at the top).
I had aproblem this year and made the back lenght a litlle larger w good result...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Cheers Paul
Ha ha sorry to laugh, but competed on your back is a good image :) ask in a pharmacy for diaper rash cream (often mostly zinc), show the pharmacist your rash, he/she can definitely help. And switch your shirt once it’s soaked through, the friction from moisture is a problem. Might also want to try buying a sportshirt made of those sporty polyester materials - there are excellent Decathlon sports stores just outside Pamplona, Logrono and Burgos, plus I’ve seen other sports stores in every large town. Finally, adjust your pack straps and try a radically different weight distribution, that often helps.

I agree with the strap/weight load adjustment suggestions. My Osprey Sirrus 36 was causing that problem during some training hikes. I went back to the store where I bought it and they helped me make adjustments that really improved my comfort. It made me glad I bought local inside of saving a few dollars by buying online.

@NomadBoomer , sorry to read of your plight.

I would normally use a pack without a frame only for small part day trips.

For long haul I will always use a pack with an external frame.

But that does not mean heavy (mine of four years is lighter than most)

But a week to go suggests you should not try anything new.

So suggestions like those by @LaFlorida above make most sense

Kia kaha (you take care, be strong, get going)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
@NomadBoomer , sorry to read of your plight.

I would normally use a pack without a frame only for small part day trips.

For long haul I will always use a pack with an external frame.

But that does not mean heavy (mine of four years is lighter than most)

But a week to go suggests you should not try anything new.

So suggestions like those by @LaFlorida above make most sense

Kia kaha (you take care, be strong, get going)

???? :) The Exos 48, though not an external frame pack, does have an excellent internal frame which is as supportive and comfortable as any external frame I've worn; and in a lot of cases even better.

Cheers Paul

Hi, Paul...

What is it that you mean by "bottom corners"? When you start to adjust the pack when you put it on, the shoulder harness and waist belt should have slack and be loose. The first step in pack adjustment, is to position the waist belt so that the top of the hip belt just above the iliac crest of your hip bones, and the bottom of the belt below the middle-line of the hip bones. The belt should "cradle" that area when you snug it down. At this point all the weight of the pack is on the belt, and the lumbar support should be at the small of your back and not riding lower against the skin on the curve of your back just above the tail bone.

Then when you go to the next step and snug down the shoulder harness until it is just beginning to take some weight. The back of the harness -- where it is attached on the pack -- should wrap over the shoulders until it lies just below the top of the shoulders on your back. Again, the effect is to have a shallow "wrapping" effect. If the wrap extends more than a bit below the top of the shoulder blades, that is an indication that the frame does not fit.

Once the major adjust is made to the shoulder harness, then the load lifters can be tensioned so that they form a basic 45 degree angle.

The hip belt and shoulder harness share the load in a roughly 80/20 ratio, the majority on the belt. That can be changed on the fly, so to speak, as you need to adjust for comfort.

If the pack is fitting you are still getting rubbing, then there are ways to add padding to pressure points. Extra foam, fleece, wool, etc. Something that is a frequent culprit is the trouser belt used to hold up one's pants or shorts -- which is one of the reasons I prefer backpacking and hiking in running shorts :) . But sometimes even the best fitting pack will not completely conform to a unique body shape, and compensation is needed as an add-on.

I've had difficulty with the shoulder harness straps rubbing against my upper arms and causing blisters. The pack fabric is so rough because it's meant to be durable, but hell on the skin. I found padded, soft velcro covers that actually are marketed for baby car seat straps or seatbelts...they fit nicely over the pack straps in offending areas, very inexpensive, lightweight, washable. I don't think this solves the issue of the OP, but might help others with a different rubbing area.
I too, start my caminos with rather annoying, itchy shoulder straps where they wrap around under my shoulders on my Osprey Sirrus 36 women's pack. After a week or more I stop noticing the discomfort and wonder if my skin has finally "toughened up". Thankfully I've never gotten blisters. Could you please send a link on the velcro product you are referring to? It sounds like it could be a goid option for me to try. Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Cheers Paul
Looks like you are getting tons of good advice. My favorite thing that I brought on the Camino was a small packet of lambswool; a gift, but I used it for a lot of irritation spots....shoes, backpack straps, on my hipbones, etc. Even if you find another great answer for your back, you might consider some for the unexpected. It can be washed, is very light (no exttra weight) and can be pulled apart and shared with someone else. Try a pharmacy, perhaps even IN Spain, as I know that's where my friend (a long time Camino-ist) purchased mine.

Thanks everyone for the heap of useful advice. I feel a little foolish that I walked so far with a small problem without taking any active steps to avoid. I guess I was so focused on my legs and feet, and as the problem initially took a couple of weeks to manifest, I just lived with it. I think the point about weight loss changing the fit may be part of the issue in my case.

Loading my backpack now it feels very comfortable, it is hard for me to see what the problem was and hence fix. I am going to try just about all of the suggestions above. If the problem still occurs I will be more proactive and test out what change up works for me.

I really appreciate the help from you all and I will post later to let you know how I went, in case my experience is useful for anyone else.

Cheers Paul

I too, start my caminos with rather annoying, itchy shoulder straps where they wrap around under my shoulders on my Osprey Sirrus 36 women's pack. After a week or more I stop noticing the discomfort and wonder if my skin has finally "toughened up". Thankfully I've never gotten blisters. Could you please send a link on the velcro product you are referring to? It sounds like it could be a goid option for me to try. Thanks!

I bought mine in a store, but found a close version on amazon to give you an idea...there are some in every length and width...just search 'seat belt wrap'...mine are by DinoWrap and are about 6" long...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Cheers Paul

Maybe the LAST thing you need is another suggestion...but I'm offering one LOL
I saw an older walker a few years back who wore a wider, waist fitted 'fanny pack' actually on her lower back to support the weight of her backpack. Did not pay enough attention to her pack's waist belt, etc.... but it seemed to work quite well for her and may be a viable option for you. If the fanny pack is comfortable and padded and doesn't shift, and lifts your pack from rubbing in troubled spots...what the heck, I'd try it! lol

I bought mine in a store, but found a close version on amazon to give you an idea...there are some in every length and width...just search 'seat belt wrap'...mine are by DinoWrap and are about 6" long...
Thanks! I found some good options on Amazon to consider...great idea!

One day left to Finisterre after a glorious camino with some people who will live in my heart forever.
Following the kind advice here, I found that rebalancing my pack by putting some heavier items in the middle, and using my fleece jacket as padding, fixed the problem for me

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.