• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Backpacks are awesome!

Sjp007

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 St James
2020 St James
4F1721B1-79ED-4EE3-A9B4-8E55D1C60B54.jpeg4F1721B1-79ED-4EE3-A9B4-8E55D1C60B54.jpegWOW! If you haven’t decided on a backpack for your Camino yet, I’d suggest an Osprey!!! I had a few tears in the side pockets (my fault) and apparently Osprey guarantees their packs and will mend any problems you have ....and if they can’t, they’ll send you a brand new pack, just like my brand new Osprey Kyte 36 in mulberry purple 🥰🥰 They replaced my pack with no questions asked ....can’t wait to use it on this summer’s Camino

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
They are indeed! My trusty (now discontinued) Aura developed an almighty creak, and even that was covered under the Almighty guarantee! Good to know that they are prepared to back up their products. Congratulations with your beautiful new pack!

I'm researching backpacks at the moment, and the Osprey Stratos 34 is at the top of my list.

My only concern is it's a heavy backpack weighing 1.4kg.

Anyone else used the Stratos 34?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have an Osprey Sirrus 36 L women's model and love it. It's 3 caminos in so far and still looks like new. A tad heavier maybe than an ultralite model, but no problem for me. My daughter in law has the lighter weight Exos and it was phenominal. She is very tiny and had no complaints or issues on 800k's.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My Osprey Talon 22 is called Terry and we've completed 3 European Caminos and 1 North American and he's a Pilgrim's best friend inspite of the amount of gear I've stuffed into him, hanging him by belt from bunks and expecting him to carry moonshine and wine not to mention the needles I've stuck into him over the last year, still going strong and never a pain in the back and although received a cut going through airport security scanner I managed to patch him up 🤠

Attachments

• IMG-20191121-WA0031.jpg
    IMG-20191121-WA0031.jpg
    280.3 KB · Views: 131
My Osprey Talon 22 is called Terry and we've completed 3 European Caminos and 1 North American and he's a Pilgrim's best friend inspite of the amount of gear I've stuffed into him, hanging him by belt from bunks and expecting him to carry moonshine and wine not to mention the needles I've stuck into him over the last year, still going strong and never a pain in the back and although received a cut going through airport security scanner I managed to patch him up 🤠
My friend carried this exact same Talon 22L in black on the Le Puy camino in 2018. I watched her stuff it to the gills like a sausage every morning and bang it around, and in spite of the abuse it held up well.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My trusty Osprey Talon 33 (M) has been my companion on 2 Caminos so far and has been perfect for me. It's a bit of a pain when you need something that is right at the bottom, but that usually reflects careless packing.
And I so love being able to always take it as cabin luggage on the flights from and home to Australia.20191003_071506.jpg

A selection of Camino Jewellery
View attachment 68702View attachment 68702WOW! If you haven’t decided on a backpack for your Camino yet, I’d suggest an Osprey!!! I had a few tears in the side pockets (my fault) and apparently Osprey guarantees their packs and will mend any problems you have ....and if they can’t, they’ll send you a brand new pack, just like my brand new Osprey Kyte 36 in mulberry purple 🥰🥰 They replaced my pack with no questions asked ....can’t wait to use it on this summer’s Camino
Agreed. I have a Stratos 36 and love it. I also purchased an Osprey Farpoint 40 travel pack last year for a month long non-hiking trip to Switzerland and was able to use it as a carry-on and avoid checking a bag. I have been very happy with my Osprey choices.

View attachment 68702View attachment 68702WOW! If you haven’t decided on a backpack for your Camino yet, I’d suggest an Osprey!!! I had a few tears in the side pockets (my fault) and apparently Osprey guarantees their packs and will mend any problems you have ....and if they can’t, they’ll send you a brand new pack, just like my brand new Osprey Kyte 36 in mulberry purple 🥰🥰 They replaced my pack with no questions asked ....can’t wait to use it on this summer’s Camino
Thanks for all this information. It seems like everybody in front of me on my caminos has an Osprey. I see that bird everywhere. I've used BERGHAUS for 2 and Lowe Alpine for the last 3. I am researching Osprey for my next. Also thinking Carbon footprint so the kids and grandson will inherit the other 2!

Osprey do make great packs. I’ve got a kestrel 38 which has been absolutely superb on three Caminos. It’s roughly 1.2kg empty which rises to around 6.5kg with the usual stuff inside. It’s never completely full but holds its structure perfectly. It’s incredibly comfortable, so much so that after the first day or so it’s noticeable thereafter. My wife has a tempest 30 which is light, comfortable and tops out at around 5.5kg fully loaded. However, her shoulder straps are thinner than mine which over a period of time tend to make her shoulders ache. We’re hoping to avoid that by attaching 8mm of neoprene to the underside of both straps for our next visit in April. We had looked at replacing her tempest by a sirrus 36 but it’s quite a bit heavier unpacked which might remove the advantage of slightly thicker straps. Hence the neoprene. Good luck with your choice.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The pack brand I saw the most often on the CF in 2017 was the Osprey. When I returned to the Northwest, I purchased the Osprey Kestrel 48 in dragon red from my local (Bellingham) REI. It seemed fitting since there is an osprey pair that nests on the Guemes Channel near the ferry terminal about a mile from my home. The osprey (bird) is familiarly referred to as a seahawk, hence Seattle Seahawks (American) football team.

They are indeed great packs to use . I have two that have seen the Francaise , The Stevenson's and most recently The Via Francigena.
Unfortunately the legendary warranty isn't honoured quite so stringently here in Australia . A damaged pack is more likely to be repaired by a local shoe repairer and then returned to you with patches , lumpy mismatched stitching and compromised water proofing .

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
They do John , I heartily agree .
It is a great source of disappointment to me that major outdoor companies seem to disregard the Australian consumer . It seems to me that they think our market is just not big enough to worry about .
Both Osprey and The North Face have treated me and some of my companions abominably, there were certainly no new replacements offered, my favouite Osprey pack was junk when it was returned totally unsuitable , I replaced it with a second hand one . The North Face would not even repair loose and detached seam tape from a Gore Tex jacket . The only decent , fair and worthwhile warranty replacement I have ever received was from Merrell who replaced clearly defective Moabs without a murmur .

I am addicted to Osprey, I have 5 😇😇😇😇

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
They do John , I heartily agree .
It is a great source of disappointment to me that major outdoor companies seem to disregard the Australian consumer . It seems to me that they think our market is just not big enough to worry about .
Both Osprey and The North Face have treated me and some of my companions abominably, there were certainly no new replacements offered, my favouite Osprey pack was junk when it was returned totally unsuitable , I replaced it with a second hand one . The North Face would not even repair loose and detached seam tape from a Gore Tex jacket . The only decent , fair and worthwhile warranty replacement I have ever received was from Merrell who replaced clearly defective Moabs without a murmur .
In the 1980s when I was living in Singapore, I experienced the same kinds of issues, Charles, so I appreciate your comments re: North Face, et.al. Part of the (ongoing) issue is that very few American companies export, so they haven't, generally speaking, embraced a global mindset. The US companies that do figure it out are successful. Thinking now about all my Australian friends going through fires and floods.

Purchased Osprey Lumina 60 in 2018. Chose it because it fit well, did not have any pockets on the belt, and its super-light weight; 1 pound 14 ounces. Saw plenty of Osprey along the way.

When I read the OP I thought it was an ad. The link to the Osprey website tipped me. But many respondents have taken it at face value, so maybe I was being cynical (and I'm an Osprey user myself).

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hello
I have an Osprey Stratos 50, has anyone else use it as a carry-on with Ryanair?

@Razvan Just measure the back frame. I know the Stratos size L is about 5-6 cm too tall to go on Ryanair, where the max size is 55 cms. Don't go by the size on the website, but measure the pack itself. A medium back size might work.

@Razvan Just measure the back frame. I know the Stratos size L is about 5-6 cm too tall to go on Ryanair, where the max size is 55 cms. Don't go by the size on the website, but measure the pack itself. A medium back size might work.
Somebody used Osprey Talon 33 as carry-on - 61 cm, I intend to pass without the lid.
Indeed is more than 5 cm high, without a lid, I hoped someone else would have passed without any problem.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Talon 33 only has M/L as the longest back size, the pure L is longer. I have used a Talon 33 and 44, both M/L, as hand luggage with no problem because they are just under 55 cm long. The lid has nothing to do with the size as it can be pulled down - only the back system is rigid enough to cause problems. Doesn't matter if someone else has got through with a certain model, but how full the pack is and how long the back system is. And my husband's Stratos 34 in a long back, is too long to take the risk.

Osprey do make great packs. I’ve got a kestrel 38 which has been absolutely superb on three Caminos. It’s roughly 1.2kg empty which rises to around 6.5kg with the usual stuff inside. It’s never completely full but holds its structure perfectly. It’s incredibly comfortable, so much so that after the first day or so it’s noticeable thereafter. My wife has a tempest 30 which is light, comfortable and tops out at around 5.5kg fully loaded. However, her shoulder straps are thinner than mine which over a period of time tend to make her shoulders ache. We’re hoping to avoid that by attaching 8mm of neoprene to the underside of both straps for our next visit in April. We had looked at replacing her tempest by a sirrus 36 but it’s quite a bit heavier unpacked which might remove the advantage of slightly thicker straps. Hence the neoprene. Good luck with your choice.
Agree on the Osprey Kestral 38L. Great pack. I'm on my second one only because I passed my first one off (after 7 yrs of use) to a friend who will walk his first Camino this summer.

The Talon 33 only has M/L as the longest back size, the pure L is longer. I have used a Talon 33 and 44, both M/L, as hand luggage with no problem because they are just under 55 cm long. The lid has nothing to do with the size as it can be pulled down - only the back system is rigid enough to cause problems. Doesn't matter if someone else has got through with a certain model, but how full the pack is and how long the back system is. And my husband's Stratos 34 in a long back, is too long to take the risk.
Looks like I have a big problem ... :(
A recommendation for a 53 cm long torso?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Razvan Do you mean that you have measured the Stratos 50? Is it a long back, or medium? Have you got it or were you thinking of getting it? I can certainly recommend the Talon 33 or 44, but if you already have a Stratos in a medium back that should be fine - provided it is shorter than 55 cms.

@Razvan Do you mean that you have measured the Stratos 50? Is it a long back, or medium? Have you got it or were you thinking of getting it? I can certainly recommend the Talon 33 or 44, but if you already have a Stratos in a medium back that should be fine - provided it is shorter than 55 cms.
It is size M / L, with lid has about 65-70 cm, without lid has 60 cm (I measured the frame).
I have Osprey Startos 50, as well as a Kestrel 48 and an Exos 48., please don't ask why :)
.... and Osprey Escapist 32 ...

Haha, I don't need to ask why 😁 I have a Talon 44, Talon 33, Tempest 30 and an Escapist 25 ... take the Escapist, it is a good pack for the camino. Lighter and shorter than the others, panel opening to stop you overpacking ... try it at least!

Attachments

• Stella.jpg
    Stella.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 25
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But I love so much the Stratos ....

I tried it ....
It is ok without the sleeping bag and the Teva sandals ... :(

Try them before you buy them . I did and found the Deuter better with my body lengths. Did not like the padding and how they were sitting on my hips. But each its own.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Try them before you buy them
Absolutely, that goes for any pack. Even though lots of people are very enthusiastic about Osprey packs - partly because of their many adjustments which make them fit many people - that doesn't mean that any Osprey will fit any back. Try before you buy and even better, walk around the shop with 5-7 kgs in them before you even consider spending your money.

When I read the OP I thought it was an ad. The link to the Osprey website tipped me. But many respondents have taken it at face value, so maybe I was being cynical (and I'm an Osprey user myself).
@Karl Oz, it seems to me there is a fine line between fulsome praise of a product that might just help others, and mere promotion that helps the company more than it informs other members.

Like you, I have Osprey packs, but they are not my preferred pack for the Camino. That is a Deuter. I tried the Levity on my recent pilgrimage walk in England, which was short enough so that if there were issues it wasn't going to be a disaster. It has its limitations. Every pack is a complex set of design compromises, and Osprey is no different in this regard. Despite the issues, the Levity deserves consideration alongside those from other manufacturers of lightweight packs.

If you are in the US/Canada and after a lightweight Camino pack, check out some of the packs that @davebugg has tested if you want something approaching the best in lightweight pack designs.

How have you got on with this pack? Is it big enough? Am I right in thinking it has side access to the main compartment? (Online pics pretty poor!)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
My girlfriend has an osprey pack sac and I have an other brand. Her bag is very light and mind is a little more heavy for the the same size.

Her osprey is falling apart after 4 caminos and mind is still going strong after the same number caminos and same millages.

If you are buying a bag for a light usage no doubts osprey does the job. Otherwise it might be a good idea to look for something else.

If you look for a bag do not check for a brand name see a reputable store and try many bags to ensure that the one you choose will be comfortable for you.

After selecting a bag put 10 to 15 pounds in it and walk the store for some time...

My girlfriend has an osprey pack sac and I have an other brand. Her bag is very light and mind is a little more heavy for the the same size.

Her osprey is falling apart after 4 caminos and mind is still going strong after the same number caminos and same millages.

If you are buying a bag for a light usage no doubts osprey does the job. Otherwise it might be a good idea to look for something else.

If you look for a bag do not check for a brand name see a reputable store and try many bags to ensure that the one you choose will be comfortable for you.

After selecting a bag put 10 to 15 pounds in it and walk the store for some time...
Osprey does have a lifetime guarantee, so perhaps your friend should contact the company about repair/replacement.

My Osprey Sirrus 36L has held up perfectly on three different caminos of 4-6 weeks of walking on each one and it still looks brand new!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a rather long winded explanation here. In fact, quite a lot of words to say that it's quite around here!
Thanks, Mr. Doug Fitz! Interesting that it is an American idiom, yet two Americans never heard of it before. I learn something new almost every day on the forum.

Interesting. When we bought our Sirrus and Stratos 36 L packs we filled them with our stuff and went on training walks. Mine (stratos) made squeaking noises that we could not figure out or fix. I called the store and they asked about the noise- they asked me if it sounded like crickets. I said yes- and they said very simply- you are not the first to report this. I sent it back- they replaced it and no more sounds- somehow the crickets had gone! Different crickets obviously!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks, Mr. Doug Fitz! Interesting that it is an American idiom, yet two Americans never heard of it before. I learn something new almost every day on the forum.
It wasn't that many years ago that I first heard the phrase here in Australia, and I think I was probably confused about what it meant.

It's an idiom often used in a political context, as when someone in office (eg, a Senator or MP) chooses to be silent when faced with a awkward controversy that their party or party leader has caused.
@Camino Chrissy, I'm sending you a PM :cool: as this is waay off topic...

I have an Aura, and if fleeing a burning building I would grab it with my valuables. It has been with me on 5 caminos and is still in fine shape - though faded from all the sun!
My only quibble is that I wish there were more padding on the hipbelt. But that is minor and easily jerry-rigged.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Interesting. When we bought our Sirrus and Stratos 36 L packs we filled them with our stuff and went on training walks. Mine (stratos) made squeaking noises that we could not figure out or fix. I called the store and they asked about the noise- they asked me if it sounded like crickets. I said yes- and they said very simply- you are not the first to report this. I sent it back- they replaced it and no more sounds- somehow the crickets had gone! Different crickets obviously!

My friend had a similar issue, we both have Stratos 34... The squeaking noises went away after we adjusted his straps, well... mainly the adjustable back part.

My wife and I have hiked three CF. I am 6’3” and 200 lbs and have used a 50 L Osprey Atmos and it works and looks brand new (partly due to dry cleaning after our second camino). My wife has used an Osprey 48L Kestrol, but use Jacotrans transport due to a stress fracture she suffered during our first camino. We are postponing our 4th camino until Sept-Oct 2021, and will bring our beloved Osprey backpacks with us again.

Attachments

• EE06CD03-7F56-4611-B91B-E43FCC477618.jpeg
    EE06CD03-7F56-4611-B91B-E43FCC477618.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 20
As in, “silence on the criticism front of Osprey packs”. They are well made and backed for a lifetime👍
Perhaps those of us who harbour reservations about the fulsome praise some forum members lavish on Osprey have been too polite in our engagements for you to understand that there are more than crickets chirping, even in this thread.

I'm American and have always used this saying. I grew up on the East Coast. Maybe it's a regional thing? Or a generational thing? I've used it around my Millennial coworkers and they didn't get it. But then again, they don't get a lot of things (idioms).

I'm American and have always used this saying. I grew up on the East Coast. Maybe it's a regional thing? Or a generational thing? I've used it around my Millennial coworkers and they didn't get it. But then again, they don't get a lot of things (idioms).
Hi @alaskadiver! I haven't noticed you on the forum for quite awhile. Maybe I'm not looking at the right threads. We had some good conversations back in 2017 when I officially joined the forum.

I use an Osprey Talon 44 Liter backpack. My base weight (no food or water) is between 7 and 8 KG. This is about 10% of my weight. The contents of the pack is loosely organized, about 3/4 full.

What I like about the Talon is that it is really simple without the numerous external pockets where I tend to forget about their respective contents. I organize the BP contents with lightweight packing cubes.

I have an ambition to reduce my base weight to 5 KG but that is conflicting with another ambition to bring my old film camera on my next Camino. My old Nikon and four rolls of film will certainly increase my base weight. So the extra capacity of my lightweight 44L BP allows either pursuit.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.