• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Exos 48 good pack for Camino?

Mark Barnes

Old Engineer
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances - September - November (2017)
I walked Camino Frances Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela Sept. 20 to Nov. 02, 2017. After two years of planing for the Camino once on the Camino I quickly realized I pretty much miscalculated most of my equipment choices. For example I carried a great pack, Osprey 70L Either. While it is a great pack it was not the right one for me on the Camino. Now as walking the Camino and telling myself I was an idiot to be doing this and would never walk the Camino again. I am now seriously thinking about a 2019 Camino. I know I need a lighter pack and at 2.2 pounds the Osprey Exos 48 meets that desire. What I want to know has anyone used the Exos on a Camino or like trip? If so how did the shoulder straps and harness hold up and any positive or negative experience with this pack. I have tried in store but that can be different than on trail. Looking to buy the 48 for me and 38 for my wife. Thanks in advance for any insight.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi Mark,
I do not have a reply to your specific question, but I query why you want such a large pack. From casual observation on many caminos, the average size pack is between 32L and 40L. If you really need a large pack, then consider why, because it seems to me that if you fill a 48L pack you are taking too much. I am not questioning your ability to carry a large/heavy pack, just it's necessity.

The weight difference between the 38 and 48 is about 3 ounces so the weight is not an issue in this choice for me. As for larger pack means I will fill it, well I can now say been there done that and learned lesson. I am looking at the 48L for use on other trips before and after Camino.

I walked Camino Frances Pamplona to Santiago de Compostela Sept. 20 to Nov. 02, 2017. After two years of planing for the Camino once on the Camino I quickly realized I pretty much miscalculated most of my equipment choices. For example I carried a great pack, Osprey 70L Either. While it is a great pack it was not the right one for me on the Camino. Now as walking the Camino and telling myself I was an idiot to be doing this and would never walk the Camino again. I am now seriously thinking about a 2019 Camino. I know I need a lighter pack and at 2.2 pounds the Osprey Exos 48 meets that desire. What I want to know has anyone used the Exos on a Camino or like trip? If so how did the shoulder straps and harness hold up and any positive or negative experience with this pack. I have tried in store but that can be different than on trail. Looking to buy the 48 for me and 38 for my wife. Thanks in advance for any insight.

G’day Mark,

See if you can give this pack a test run of at least a week before you go, with your anticipated load in it, and take it back at the least indication of discomfort.

I say this not because I specifically know anything about this particular pack, but I’ve had several shocking reports about the Osprey Air 50l Aura. A friend used this for her Camino around April last year. She ended up in agony with the skin rubbed from areas of her back. She still has the scars and suffers pain when she showers. She said the lining on the webbing is like a Cheesecutter. I’ve heard of others having the same problem.

I don’t know whether or not this has been rectified, or whether their other packs use the same webbing, but better not to take chances. If you can, try before you commit to buy.

De Colores

Bogong

I've used a 48L pack walking the Camino and did not find it to be too large at all as I'm a pretty big guy. It's a good all around size for a pack and great for hikes other than the Camino too. I always just carried on luggage with it on flights and it easily stowed in the overhead bin on the plane.
I do also have a 35L pack for a summer, warm weather Camino. That's when I'm carrying very little gear. About 5kg including water. Not even a sleeping bag.

Hi Mike,
I own both the Ether 70 and the Exos (but a 46, the earlier version which became the 48) and they are great packs. I've used the 70 for mountain trails and winter camping when the extra space is useful for bulky kit and more rations on wilder stretches, but it would be overkill for a camino.
I used the Exos 46 for Camino Frances in 2014 and I will be using it again in April for the Via de la Plata route; it was a great pack and it suited me very well. The ventilated straps and the airback work really well in the warm weather and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it for camino use. Being slightly larger than you strictly need, it makes it easy to pack and unpack, as long as you have the discipline not to carry more than you need. I never used the external pockets, and this helps keep the pack slim which is useful going through woods, narrow paths etc.
The only failing I had was that I wore through one of the mesh pockets; this was my fault because my camera case had a sharp edge and after 800 km of rubbing the mesh wore through. However, Osprey took it back, invisibly repaired it and had it back to me in less than 10 days, no questions asked.
Do have a proper test of sizes in the store: I'm 6'1" tall but take a Medium, due to my back dimensions. After a couple of days on the trail, I feel that I am wearing my pack, not carrying it. It is highly functional and very comfortable and I have no intentions to replace it, even though it is now some 9 years old.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi Mark, I walked every step of the Camino last spring with my daughter in law. She purchased the Osprey Exos 48 pack on the advise of my son, who is a seasoned long distance backpacker. She absolutely LOVED this pack and never once complained about it being uncomfortable or being too big or heavy. She only carried the minimum gear I recommended, so did not overfill it. The padded straps are awesome on this pack, too. My opinion is that if you try it on and it feels comfortable, then "go for it".
EDIT: I forgot to mention that she left the removeable "top" section at home as did not need the extra room. The pack also fit in the airplane's overhead.

Last edited:
Hi Mike
My objection to the Osprey would be that it doesn't have any external side pockets. I got used to using a water bottle with tube and needed an external pocket. I eventually used a Gossamer Gear Mariposa.

Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I walked the frances last year with a Lowe alpine 35-45 and it wasn't bad. This year I'm doing the Portuguese and was looking for something a bit lighter. After doing my research i went for the Exos 48. Just had this through and its fantastic. With the second lid removed its below a kilo and can compress if you carry not much gear. the straps are comfortable too.
I will use it for a trip to the himalayas later in the year when i need a bit more capacity.

I have used the older Exos 58 on several caminos and thought it was an excellent caminobackpack. Then I read An in-depth of the Osprey Exos 48 backpack here in the forum and was tempted to buy it. The padded straps are better and the new hipbelt makes it easier to get the weight on the hips instead of shoulders. I have used the new one on some caminos too. The only thing I missed from the older version was the zipped sidepockets where I used to put all the raingear. But there is the big strechpocket in front and side strechpockets for bottles. Neither the 58l or the 48 is too big for the camino as long as they weigh less than many smaller backpacks!

€149,-
Osprey packs and/or Merrell shoes = North Americans.
Yes, both those brands are easily found in the US, but I did see quite a few Europeans wearing Merrell shoes. Probably just as many Europeans wearing them as North Americans. Not to mention I saw Merrells on sale in almost every outdoor equipment shop I stopped in whilst on the Camino Frances.
I met quite a few Americans wearing other brand packs and shoes as well. Columbia and Deuter to name a couple.
I certainly wouldn't look at someone wearing Merrell shoes and assume they're an American.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Mark the Exos 48 worked really well for me on Camino, lots of adjustment possibilities, super light and comfortable. I found I can reach back for a water bottle in the side mesh pockets without taking the pack off, and the pole storage system is neat and functional. My main concern was that durability had been sacrificed for lightness but it's held up well and I've been very happy to be carrying 1.5kg less weight than my old pack.

I used this very pack last April. Loaded with max. 6.5 K of stuff. There are certainly side pockets on mine and they are advertised as having side pockets. Correct sized water bottles fit in them comfortably. Straps very comfortable, waist cinch also,. Love the general comfort and back ventilation. As stated above leave the detachable top bag at home, if you need it you are probably carrying too much stuff. The various cinch straps allow you to pull in any excess sloppiness so that the pack remains firm in itself.

Now the antis, there is only one really. everything has to go into the top opening ( I leave the net bag at the back for my poncho, hat/gloves, sun protection, Journal and guide books and some doggy dos bags for litter) . This means you have to be psychic in your packing methodology each day , because if you put something on the bottom of your pack that you need, well, enough said? I have used mine now for many Long Distance Walks and have never found it wanting.

I am English. A huge number of UK hikers are going for Osprey.

Stereotype much?
Pilgrim dilemma: Should I use an Osprey because it is the best one for me, or should I reject it because of the stereotype, and go looking for something else?

I use a visor when walking, because it is very functional for me, in sun and rain. However, I hate being typecast as something - golfer? doddering tourist? - and have struggled unsuccessfully to find an alternative fashion statement that is equally functional.

But I confess that I still do refuse to wear certain things, as an inverse fashion statement. I covered up a large MEC label on my pack rain cover, because I didn't want every pilgrim walking up behind me to know in advance (with virtual certainty) what country I am from!

However, I do enjoy the game of guessing where people are from, and an Osprey pack is one clue, but its reliability is probably a lot less than it used to be. In fact, the many exceptions to these generalities are what makes the game fun and enlightening.

Pilgrim dilemma: Should I use an Osprey because it is the best one for me, or should I reject it because of the stereotype, and go looking for something else?

I use a visor when walking, because it is very functional for me, in sun and rain. However, I hate being typecast as something - golfer? doddering tourist? - and have struggled unsuccessfully to find an alternative fashion statement that is equally functional.

But I confess that I still do refuse to wear certain things, as an inverse fashion statement. I covered up a large MEC label on my pack rain cover, because I didn't want every pilgrim walking up behind me to know in advance (with virtual certainty) what country I am from!

However, I do enjoy the game of guessing where people are from, and an Osprey pack is one clue, but its reliability is probably a lot less than it used to be. In fact, the many exceptions to these generalities are what makes the game fun and enlightening.
I can honestly say I have never given any thought to a brand of product I purchased and to whether or not it labeled me as coming from a specific country. I just purchase something because I needed it. I could care less what brand it is.
I have to wonder why someone would give too much thought to a fellow pilgrim's clothing or equipment? Seems kind of petty. I prefer to enjoy other aspects of my walks.
Occasionally on the Camino I did have discussions with fellow pilgrims on equipment or clothing, but those were in regards to what works well, or didn't. Had nothing to do with where we were from. In fact I don't even remember the brands. There are so many out there and most are available worldwide.
If someone looks at me and decides to profile me as to where I come from, well that's their problem. I would suggest to them to perhaps go beyond the superficial aspect that a clothing label is. Perhaps remember the old bit of "judging a book by its cover"....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Mark,
I do not have a reply to your specific question, but I query why you want such a large pack. From casual observation on many caminos, the average size pack is between 32L and 40L. If you really need a large pack, then consider why, because it seems to me that if you fill a 48L pack you are taking too much. I am not questioning your ability to carry a large/heavy pack, just it's necessity.

Using a large pack does not equate to needing to fill it up. :) I use a Gossamer Gear Mariposa, which has a 60L capacity when its collar is extended, but with the collar down it is a 40L pack. And even at 40 L, I only used 75% of that volume when I didn't care how sloppy I packed :)

The Mariposa is under 2 pounds, is supremely comfortable for me ( prior to Camino, I used it on my Colorado Trail thru-hike), It has wonderful external organization with pockets for easy to grab items used frequently, a terrific harness and hipbelt (with the easiest to zip pockets I've ever used on a backpack), and it's relatively water resistant (it would be water proof if one took the time to seal the seams with a seam sealer product or thinned silicone caulk).

It isn't the pack size that determines how much is put into the pack, it is inexperience and the fear of "Just In Case" that puts too much into a pack. ;-)

The weight difference between the 38 and 48 is about 3 ounces so the weight is not an issue in this choice for me. As for larger pack means I will fill it, well I can now say been there done that and learned lesson. I am looking at the 48L for use on other trips before and after Camino.
I used the Osprey Aura (?) 65 L, but I removed the top detachable pouch, my daughter used the 50 L Aura. SO comfortable.....I did not feel compelled to fill it up, so it was light and a joy to carry. I also do some winter backpacking in NH, so I did not want to buy 2 different backpacks (although I do have a lovely 30something day pack) so that winter gear would fit! I was very happy. Just totally resist the temptation to put one more something or other in the pack because you have room. The hip belts and collar straps distributed the weight perfectly for me, no soreness. I would get the pack professionally fitted, made a huge difference for me. Enjoy and buen camino!

Osprey sack and Merrill shoes; British by nationality but English by the grace of God! What tends to give me away is the Union Jack sewn onto my rucksack strap (conversation starter) and the fact that all my other language skills are second rate, in part because so often I don't get a chance to practice my French/German/Spanish/Arabic because other people want to practice their English!
There are many more defining national characteristics than brand choices of equipment or clothing, but when we 'assume' it makes an 'ass' out of 'u' and 'me'.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I covered up a large MEC label on my pack rain cover, because I didn't want every pilgrim walking up behind me to know in advance (with virtual certainty) what country I am from!.

No Canadian flag on your backpack? The horror! :)

I remember spotting my firt caminoers at the train station in Bayonne: saw those MEC logos and immeditely knew.

When I hear people speaking with the accent from home, or am told there are people from here, I keep quiet or make sure I don’t say a word in French. Last thing I want is a conversation about being from here. :cool:

. . . What I want to know has anyone used the Exos on a Camino or like trip? . . .
Getting back to the original question from Mister Mark.

No, I have not used this type of backpack.

Now, I have checked several websites checking this backpack and one thing I noticed is the lack of outside pockets for the bottle water [did I miss something?].

Good luck with your decision, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Back to the original topic. It is a very comfortable backpack, which is probably the main consideration. The lack of pockets isn't a problem. I used the main big pouch at the front to keep my waterproofs for quick easy access. It is not water resistant and doesn't come with a rain cover. I put a black bin liner inside the backpack and then put my stuff in the bin liner in the pack. Worked a treat and very cheap. I took a rain cover from another backpack but it didn't work well.
If you use a poncho it should keep the pack dry, or take another bin liner adapted to go over your pack. One time in torrential all day rain the pack had a lot of water inside it, but all of my gear was dry inside the bin liner.

Getting back to the original question from Mister Mark.

No, I have not used this type of backpack.

Now, I have checked several websites checking this backpack and one thing I noticed is the lack of outside pockets for the bottle water [did I miss something?].

Good luck with your decision, y que la luz de Dios alumbre su camino.
There are 2 (1 on each side) pockets for water bottles etc. And an internal pocket for a water bladder.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I noticed on the Camino that many Europeans have Quechua brand gear. I had never seen it offered in North America, although my quick google search just now showed it can be ordered online.
Isn’t Quecha the Decathlon private label?

Hi!
I walked the entire Camino with the Exos 38 and I absolutely couldn't fault it! It was like a feather on my back! I still have it and now use it with the mountain rescue!!

Attachments

• IMG_0408.JPG
    IMG_0408.JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 54

Hi!
I walked the entire Camino with the Exos 38 and I absolutely couldn't fault it! It was like a feather on my back! I still have it and now use it with the mountain rescue!!
love picture

Hello Mark
48 litres is considered oversize for the Camino but just remember that you are NOT duty bound to fill it right up. On the other hand it does carry much better than smaller packs; I have this pack and it is SO much more comfortable than my old Osprey Talon 33. It is also much more versatile.
Ultreïa

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Rebekah, I a Norwegian using both Osprey packs And a lot of Merrel shoes, never been to NA, when I was young they wouldn't let me in either!

Isn’t Quecha the Decathlon private label?

Yes. For people in the US, Decathlon is now trying (again) to enter the US market. There is now (since late 2017) one Decathlon store in San Francisco and they ship within California. Hopefully they will expand their US presence from there.

I can honestly say I have never given any thought to a brand of product I purchased and to whether or not it labeled me as coming from a specific country. I just purchase something because I needed it. I could care less what brand it is.
I have to wonder why someone would give too much thought to a fellow pilgrim's clothing or equipment? Seems kind of petty. I prefer to enjoy other aspects of my walks.
Occasionally on the Camino I did have discussions with fellow pilgrims on equipment or clothing, but those were in regards to what works well, or didn't. Had nothing to do with where we were from.

I have never left this to chance and have always walked with a Union Jack pinned to my rucksack!

Likely the bad teeth would’ve been a give away though :D

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used an Osprey Kestrel 48 liter and never filled it up. I find it nice to have a little extra room so I can easily find things in the pack.

I was considering replacing the Kestrel with an Exos 48 but ended up choosing the Osprey Talon 44 because the Talon actually meets the carry-on dimensions of *most* airlines.

Hi Mike
My objection to the Osprey would be that it doesn't have any external side pockets. I got used to using a water bottle with tube and needed an external pocket. I eventually used a Gossamer Gear Mariposa.

Buen Camino
Hi Mike.
I have an Exos 48 that has gone more than 1600 km with me on the Camino. Very good pack. It does have side pockets, with both side and top access for water bottles (I use a water bag in the pack) or gear you want quickly available. I recommend it. It used to be Outdoor Gearlab editors choice for ultralight packs. There are newer lighter packs but they're more expensive and harder to find. You'll see a lot of these EXos packs on the Camino.....

My daughter-in-law had a new Exos 48 last year for the Camino. She is small and never had backpacked before. She absolutely loved everything about it. She left the removable top at home as she didn't need all the room....800k later and she never complained once! It is quite lightweight, had a trampoline back, and the shoulder straps had more padding than I'd seen before.
A win win for her!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Dear mark, i have an exos 58 that I use backpacking,so bought an exos 38 for the primitivo in 2017. It was comfortable and much like the 58,except being smaller and lighter. It was more than adequate,size wise. I would say that if a person needs a bigger pack than this,it is a sign that he is carrying too much stuff. I am going to walk the argonne and salvador caminos this fall and am going to use a 30 L Aarn pack,as the exos 38 is unnecessarily large. Try to winnow the stuff down to the bare minimum. I walked from Oviedo to Muxia and wore the same pair of shorts the whole time. Many of the clothes that I brought,stayed in the pack. This fall,I am going to go lighter,but will be taking a sleepong bag,as I fell for the old silk liner ruse and was cold many nights. Decide for yourself,and by the way,BUEN CAMINO.

What MEC pack did you (and others) use. I have checked them out but haven't come across one I thought was appropriate

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It was a MEC rain cover that I used, not a MEC pack.

I use the same one. Orange with the dark MEC. I find that often non Canadians don't know what that "word" means. I've had some interesting guess though. :)

Teehee the thought that people would assume I’m American when seeing me me with my Osprey and my Merrells amused me. 😁

Then I remembered my badges...they’ll give the game away, I think. 😂

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I use the same one. Orange with the dark MEC. I find that often non Canadians don't know what that "word" means. I've had some interesting guess though. :)

I use very little MEC gear, since a number of unfortunate experiences. The worst was a backpack with a swivel connection between the pack and the waistbelt, intended to let the pack move for comfort and balance. The fastener broke at the bus station where I was leaving for the mountains and I ended up walking for more than a week with a waistbelt no longer attached to the backpack that it was supposed to be carrying. Don't ask me how. I could never do it again.

I use a 48 hiking but found the 38 more than large enough for the camino!

The Exos 48 was the last bag I tried on today, the only one where the man helping me really felt looked like it sat on my back properly (my shoulder are rolled forward/back curved), and was long enough that it apparently sat at the right height. (Mentioned something about a 54° angle)

Gotta say it was pretty comfortable in the time I tried it (they had about 8kg in it).

I definitely don’t need such a large pack, my load is around 4kg. Def seemed to long for overhead on an EasyJet flight (56x45x25), so would need to go in the hold.

Wasn't a huge fan of it only being top loading. I did like the bottom section available on the Futura.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
My tiny daughter in law used it and loved it! She left the removable top brain at home and it met all the airline requirements!:She never complained once the whole 800k!

The Exos 48 was the last bag I tried on today, the only one where the man helping me really felt looked like it sat on my back properly (my shoulder are rolled forward/back curved), and was long enough that it apparently sat at the right height. (Mentioned something about a 54° angle)

Gotta say it was pretty comfortable in the time I tried it (they had about 8kg in it).

I definitely don’t need such a large pack, my load is around 4kg. Def seemed to long for overhead on an EasyJet flight (56x45x25), so would need to go in the hold.

Wasn't a huge fan of it only being top loading. I did like the bottom section available on the Futura.

I used an Exos 48 on my last two trips to Spain and ended up selling it when I got home this spring. I found it very light and very comfortable to have on your back. However it was larger than I needed and I got tired of the top loading aspect. I found that in order to have the pack off of your back to provide the flow through ventilation, the pack felt constricted at the top half of the bag. Anything going to the bottom of the bag had lots of room once there but had to be squeezed through the top half. Because the top was the only access, it felt awkward for me if I needed to remove items to get to the bottom.

Once again; a light and comfortable pack if my concerns do not turn out to be yours. I am presently awaiting a Gregory Zulu 40 which is coming in the mail. It is a top and front loader which I am eager to load up and go for a walk with. Good luck on the pack hunting.

I have an Exos 48, it’s much too big for the Camino BUT it’s extremely comfortable (for me) and I certainly don’t fill it up. Without water, the most it weighs is 5 kg (if that).
The bonus is, it is large enough to carry camping equipment should you need it on another journey 😎

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I used an Exos 48 on my last two trips to Spain and ended up selling it when I got home this spring. I found it very light and very comfortable to have on your back. However it was larger than I needed and I got tired of the top loading aspect. I found that in order to have the pack off of your back to provide the flow through ventilation, the pack felt constricted at the top half of the bag. Anything going to the bottom of the bag had lots of room once there but had to be squeezed through the top half. Because the top was the only access, it felt awkward for me if I needed to remove items to get to the bottom.

Once again; a light and comfortable pack if my concerns do not turn out to be yours. I am presently awaiting a Gregory Zulu 40 which is coming in the mail. It is a top and front loader which I am eager to load up and go for a walk with. Good luck on the pack hunting.
I had no problems with it being a top loader. At the bottom goes the sleeping bag in its dry sack, then another dry sack containing my clothes and on top a mesh bag with my towel and toiletries. First aid goes in the inside pocket of the top bit, hat, sunglasses, guidebook in the top; sandals and (weather depending) rain gear in back pocket.
Water in side pockets and bits and pieces in the belt pocket. Sorted! 😎

I love my Exos pack (58L) for many of my hiking / camping trips. The Exos 38L would be a wonderful Camino pack; however please note there are no hipbelt pockets on this pack.

After three Caminos and other travels with an Osprey Talon 44, no complaints.
I agree, the Osprey Talon 44 was my go to pack for the Camino and it proved to be a winner.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I’ve done three Camino’s and getting ready for number four this fall. Each time I’ve carried my Osprey exo 48/46. I also use it for weekend hiking trips. It is a great, lightweight pack — mine is the 2009 model—grey and orange. Saw lots of them on the Camino. You don’t have to fill them up but I don’t like bits hanging off my pack so I can pack my sandals, bulky fleece, etc. without trouble. There are side pockets for water and a large “pocket” on the back to hold my poncho. Most important is that it fits you well (loaded) and holds all your stuff. Fall requires some bulkier things than summer so that must also be considered. Buen Camino!

I could have been seen on the trail with Osprey and Merrell as well, but I made sure Rebekah saw me with the Osprey pack and another brand of shoes ;).

Apparently Osprey does not fit everyone and even the same brand Osprey has two major lines for different back length. One is marked with the size S/M or M/L e.g. Talon and the other has S,M,L and maybe XL, e.g. the Exos.
You should try both lines if you really want to buy an Osprey.

Funny.... I just walked the Norte and the Primitivo routes this fall, and I noticed that Osprey was definitely the most popular choice of backpack. But seeing as I was one of the very few Americans walking and I was in the minority of walkers without an Osprey, I don't see the accuracy (or point) of stereotyping someone because of their gear. I'm even from Colorado where Osprey is located, and yet I was seemingly one of the very few without one. This is all to say... the whole point of the Camino is to be present, not judge or make assumptions, and be open to whomever you meet. Not once did I peg someone as a certain nationality because of what they wore, and I don't think anyone assumed I was American because of my choice of gear. Get the equipment that works well and that will enhance the joy and wonder of your camino experience.

I walked the aragones,and Salvador in 2017 using the exos 38,which was the perfect size. I use an existing 48 for backpacking when I need to carry a tent and more gear. It is too large for a camino,in my opinion. I see people on the Frances carrying steamer trunks,which is crazy!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.