• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Farpoint 40

sitges54

Time of past OR future Camino
I was almost sold on a Kestrel 38, although I really don't want to check it as luggage. I know some have said it can make it as carryon but I don't particularly want to chance it. The Farpoint claims to be carryon size, however it looks like it would be a little cumbersome backpacking with it on. Especially over a long haul. Anyone have experience with this one on the Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Have you measured the Kestrel? When manufacturers give measurements they tend to factor in the whole top lid stuffed and riding on top of the rest of the pack. A Kestrel 38 back panel as far as I know does not exceed the max measurements, nor does the width. So it depends how stuffed it is - pack it, cinch it down and measure. It should fit no problem. I have a Tempest 30 and my husband a Talon 33, both pretty similar, and we never had any problems. I have also had a Farpoint 40 and I promise you the Kestrel is far, far more comfortable to carry over time. Also mostly hard suitcases get tested against the bin because there is no give in them and the wheels might stick out and make it hard to fit in the overhead lockers. A backpack is easier to squeeze in. Best of luck!

I have a Gregory 65, never had an issue with carry on, I have gate checked it on regional jets, and put it in a baby carrier "Gate Check Bag" that I bought on the wal mart web site

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is quite straightforward and there is no guesswork involved. Measure the pack when empty to be sure it is OK. Then pack it to fit the specific dimensions, which are very clearly defined by the airline (s). Wear anything that is leftover! If you can't do that, you are probably trying to take too much.

Last edited:
I have transported my REI 48L pack several times as a carry-on on airline flights. Never had a problem with it that way. It always fit within dimensions and into the overhead bin.
I would think the same thing of any pack under 40L, with a reasonable amount of stuff in it.

I was almost sold on a Kestrel 38, although I really don't want to check it as luggage. I know some have said it can make it as carryon but I don't particularly want to chance it. The Farpoint claims to be carryon size, however it looks like it would be a little cumbersome backpacking with it on. Especially over a long haul. Anyone have experience with this one on the Camino

I used a Farpoint 40 from SJPP to SDC this April and May. In 2015 I did most of the Portugues from Santarem to SDC using an Osprey Exos 58 large size which runs 61 liters. I checked it and a pole in an old suitcase that I disposed of in Lisbon. All good, but on the return, sans suitcase, the pack was damaged and several valuable items were missing. So I decided on the Farpoint, described as "Euro Max" after looking at the alternatives for carry on packs.

This pack looks like a piece of dedicated carry on luggage and I was a little dubious. However, comfort was never an issue. My total weight at start was 15 lbs and at least at this weight the somewhat smaller and lighter straps and hip belt were fine. The pack unzips completely like a school pack and you have complete and immediate access to everything. The one shortcoming was that the pack only had one one small external pocket which could hold maybe a liter bottle on a smooth day. I therefore bought a small Deuter bag and attached it by threading through one of the external cinch straps that comes with the pack .
During a packed flight from Munich to Madrid the overhead bins were full, I could not find any space and the attendants were grabbing carryons to put in the hold. This pack was flexible enough to allow me to shove it under the seat in front of me and I covered the few inches protruding with my legs so I avoided that problem. I used the padded computer sleeve to store several softcover books, cards, other paper items acquired along the route, all in an extra large ziplock bag. Couldn't resist the various bookstores and gift shops along the way! Finally, when the straps and belts are tucked away in their dedicated pocket the pack, with one top and one side handles, is easily and conveniently carried like a piece of luggage when desired.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.