• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Farpoint 40L Travel Pack Comfort Level

RayZee

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances' 2018
Portuguese (Lisbon) 2023
I'm planning my next camino and am wanting to have my pack as airline carry-on. I've read wonderful reviews about the Farpoint 40 but am concerned about the comfort level while walking the Camino, day after day. I would appreciate hearing about peoples experiences with wearing the pack on the Camino.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm planning my next camino and am wanting to have my pack as airline carry-on. I've read wonderful reviews about the Farpoint 40 but am concerned about the comfort level while walking the Camino, day after day. I would appreciate hearing about peoples experiences with wearing the pack on the Camino.
The Farpoint is designed as a travel backpack, meant to be worn for shorter periods of time than a hiking backpack.
That said, some people do find them comfortable enough to wear all day while walking.

Many good hiking backpacks under 40L will fit within the airline size criteria. The official dimensions of the pack are usually based on a fully packed backpack. If you leave the top pocket empty, for example, a too-long length may become acceptable. Comfort is the most important thing, and you really need to carry it loaded for a few hours, a couple of days in a row, to know how it is for you.

Are you accustomed to carrying a back pack on a daily or frequent basis? If not, you should be especially careful in choosing one, and testing it with 6-8 kg inside. You said you are planning your "next Camino" - if you have already walked, what type of back pack did you use? Also, are you planning to carry the pack or have it transported along the Camino?

I do see that this pack has both a sternum strap and a hit strap, both of which are essential for all day walking, so that is good.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Many good hiking backpacks under 40L will fit within the airline size criteria. The official dimensions of the pack are usually based on a fully packed backpack. If you leave the top pocket empty, for example, a too-long length will become acceptable. Comfort is the most important thing, and you really need to carry it loaded for a few hours, a couple of days in a row, to know how it is for you.

Are you accustomed to carrying a back pack on a daily or frequent basis? If not, you should be especially careful in choosing one, and testing it with 6-8 kg inside. You said you are planning your "next Camino" - if you have already walked, what type of back pack did you use? Also, are you planning to carry the pack or have it transported along the Camino?

I do see that this pack has both a sternum strap and a hit strap, both of which are essential for all day walking, so that is good.
I did the Camino Frances in 2018 with a 55l, fully loaded Deuter pack, which I carried daily. It was very comfortable, but based on my experience I'm planning on a lighter load and therefore a smaller pack. My buddy who's coming along with me again is insistent on carry-on size but I'm a bit reluctant. Comfort is more important to me and therefore my reaching out to find out what others thought about the Farpoint 40, before he or I purchase one.

The Farpoint is designed as a travel backpack, meant to be worn for shorter periods of time than a hiking backpack.
That said, some people do find them comfortable enough to wear all day while walking.
I have used the Farpoint40 on my last 2 Caminos (Primitivo and comb0 Frances/Del Norte since 2019. It was fine for me on the Primitivo in 2019, but I don't think the shoulder attachments bring the pack far enough forward. I had to put spacers between the front straps and my chest to rig it better. Not ideal. It is, however, carry on size for the flight, which is a big plus, and lightweight.

I’m intrigued by the concept of purchasing a backpack that I won’t have to carry while it’s in an airplane as opposed to say purchasing a backpack that fits me and my gear and that I will have to carry for 30-40 days.
Personally I’d rather spend an extra hour at an airport (and I hate airports) waiting for my checked bag than carry a rucksack for 30-40 days that doesn’t fit me even though it did fit the airplane

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’m intrigued by the concept of purchasing a backpack that I won’t have to carry while it’s in an airplane as opposed to say purchasing a backpack that fits me and my gear and that I will have to carry for 30-40 days.
Personally I’d rather spend an extra hour at an airport (and I hate airports) waiting for my checked bag than carry a rucksack for 30-40 days that doesn’t fit me even though it did fit the airplane
My thoughts as well, but with whats been happening with lost luggage at the airports as of late, it might be better to have it in sight of it at all times.

I have used the Farpoint40 on my last 2 Caminos (Primitivo and comb0 Frances/Del Norte since 2019. It was fine for me on the Primitivo in 2019, but I don't think the shoulder attachments bring the pack far enough forward. I had to put spacers between the front straps and my chest to rig it better. Not ideal. It is, however, carry on size for the flight, which is a big plus, and lightweight.
Thanks for reply. Having someone thats actually used it, means a lot!!!!

Being the buddy Ray is traveling with again, my experience from the French Camino was I had a Gregory 40L regular backpack which met the carry on requirements but did not have hide-away straps. I don't remember the actual name of the pack, it worked fine until the second last day of the Camino when a strap broke. Still usable and when I took it back to the store I purchased it I got a full refund. Now I'm stuck finding a replacement. The benefit of the Farpoint 40 is it can be used as regular carry-on luggage for those not walk forever trips.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The REI Trail 40 fits airline requirements for carry on and is works very well for the Camino. It has a good waist belt, comfy shoulder straps, chest strap, walking poles holder, and all the pockets for water bottles, poncho/rain gear you could want. I walked the Camino with one and one of my walking companions had the Farpoint and my bag was clearly the better of the two. Get it in black and you’ve got a bag for travel as well.

I have an Osprey 33l talon as carryon. Works really well and it’s not stuffed full so sits really well on my back. I can get three section poles in the bag as long as they are dismantled. The question is, assuming you use poles, will your airline let you take them on board.

I have an Osprey AND a Rei Trail 40... I once hiked days with the Osprey for a few days and it was definitely not as comfortable as the Rei Trail 40. If you are planning a longer Camino I would definitely not use the Osprey and go with something thst is only for hiking not s dual purpose one. Your body will thank you!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The REI Trail 40 fits airline requirements for carry on and is works very well for the Camino. It has a good waist belt, comfy shoulder straps, chest strap, walking poles holder, and all the pockets for water bottles, poncho/rain gear you could want. I walked the Camino with one and one of my walking companions had the Farpoint and my bag was clearly the better of the two. Get it in black and you’ve got a bag for travel as well.
The REI pack is also about half a pound lighter in weight that the Farpoint.

True, but the airport nightmares at the moment would push me toward carry on. There are many under 40 litre long distant packs. My lightweight Eja osprey 38 was super comfortable AND I took it on as a carryon. Win win.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I use à 30 litre Osprey pack and it is more than big enough and fits for a carry on. A 40 litre is pretty big and will be heavy to carry.

I do have this exact bag and use it very often, as carry on, for my vacation trips, as my only bag. I have used it for a 3 week vacation, everything I need, fits in there.

Pro's: Its carry on size on all airlines I have used so far.
Its stylish and looks upscale while on vacation.

Cons : The back of it does not breathe at all , as there is no wire mesh. I noticed in hot climates, while walking through airports, my back feels hot and sweaty and that is a really uncomfortable feeling.

For that reason, I will never bring a Farpoint 40, on a long walking trip. You need to pay attention to the back of your backpack. If your plan is, to every day send your pack ahead, then it will work, otherwise, the Farpoint 40 is a really bad choice for the camino.

Can't comment on the Fairmont but my Osprey Sirius 36 fits cabin luggage easily. There are many other packs that would also fit.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.