• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Hornet

Pieces

Veteran Member
I have my eye on the new Osprey Hornet 32 which is only about 600 grams, does anyone have experince with this model ?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I don't have direct experience with the Hornet 32; but I walked this year with the Exos 46, which is rigged up very similarly, as regards the pockets, straps etc. I was very happy with it. The big difference between the Hornet and Exos lines is the suspension (details on the OspreyPacks.com site). Hornet has no rigid frame, and the water bladder is placed externally to the pack, meaning it fills in the space in the small of your back, preventing airflow. The Exos packs (34L model is new this year, was not available last year, only 300g more than Hornet) use an ultralight wire frame, and the water bladder rides internal to the pack, preserving a very nice flowthrough ventilation channel in the small of your back.

okay, I have the talon 44 which is a little lighter than the exos, but the hornet was to be mainly daypack and maybe future camino pack too. I have issues with my sciatica so any weight reduction means less pain...

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I bought the Osprey Hornet for my Camino trip that I completed in June. I loved the Hornet, its lightness, compression straps, and even the little pocket in the belt. The one disadvantage is that it is a top-loader, making access to items on the bottom of the bag difficult.

I have the Osprey Hornet 46. It's main drawback is the narrow waist belt.

thanks, I never use the waist belt so shoul be ok on that, do you know if it is narrower on the smaller version falcon ?

what size did you use danfred ? I can see how i also may miss the bottom access but then being the 32L I am thinking maybe it would be ok...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I suspect that it is the same belt. Only the volume changes. I hate to squash my stuff, so I like the extra space, which I don't fill. Other than the belt, it is quite comfortable, and there is decent cooling on my back for a frameless pack.

sounds like a good choice then :)

as it is just for daypack I have no plans of filling it, unless I get caught up shopping :p

I also carried the Osprey Hornet 46 which was ample for the 5-6 kilos that I carried. In addition, I could easily attach my fleece jacket or raingear on the top or back of the pack. The waist belt narrows to 2/3 of an inch (1.69 centimeters) and was comfortable and easily managed to clip on and off. The stretch-mesh pocket on the back was very useful for keeping my food or jacket or articles of cloting as well. Overall, I was pleased with this backpack.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.