• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Kestral 38 Question

Jeff Johnston

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francis (2017)
Anyone here familiar with this bag: what compressed sleeping bag dimensions will fit into the bag compartment on this backpack?

I like the bag a lot, but need this info.....

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I read the tech specs for your pack and believe if you shop for a sleeping bag that is rated above 35 degrees, preferably two pounds, I like poli-fill, mummy shaped bags can pack smaller, I'm not in the camp that believes in yellow or green for bed bugs so pick your favorite color. I stuff my bag in its own light weight waterproof bag........... Ultreya........ Willy/Utah/USA

I walked with this pack my second year, on the Le Puy route in September of 2010. With my Crocs in side the bag, there is not room for a sleeping bag. Silk liner, yes. Insulated bag (especially poly-fill), no. With smaller/more compressible evening shoes, you could possibly get away with an indoor-rated down bag, but those are spendy.

The following year, I replaced the Kestrel 38 with the Osprey Exos 42, which has been my pack for the four years since. The 38 is just not quite big enough for my shoulder-season walking.

As with everything else, your mileage may vary.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
When are you walking? Do you really need a sleeping bag? I walked late Sept/Oct and used a cross between a liner and bag; rather like a quilted liner...'Intrepid Traveler' from MEC in (Victoria) Canada. It was perfect.

Hello,

I have used the Osprey Kyte 36 (34 for xs) for two trips now. My first Camino, I used a Kelty Cosmic Down 40F sleeping back. With the help of a REI compression sack, I was easily able to get my bag into the bottom compartment. The overall dimensions when totally squished down were 8" long by 6" around.

We walked in September/October and this bag was overkill. For our second trip in May/June, we switched to Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme bag liners. They add about 25F, and worked so well that they are going back with us in two weeks for the Porto.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino!

My current bag is ploy fill, weighs 2#2ooz and fits better in the Gregory Zulu 40 easily. Both the Gregory and aforementioned Osprey seem to fit and wear on me well and equally, so I am going with the Gregory. Problem solved.

Thanks and ultreya

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hello,

I have used the Osprey Kyte 36 (34 for xs) for two trips now. My first Camino, I used a Kelty Cosmic Down 40F sleeping back. With the help of a REI compression sack, I was easily able to get my bag into the bottom compartment. The overall dimensions when totally squished down were 8" long by 6" around.

We walked in September/October and this bag was overkill. For our second trip in May/June, we switched to Sea to Summit Thermolite Reactor Extreme bag liners. They add about 25F, and worked so well that they are going back with us in two weeks for the Porto.

Hope this helps.

Buen Camino!
I had this exact bag and loved it. It will go back with me 2017.

If you are walking the CF between May-September, and have a sleeping bag that is too big for that backpack, or that takes up considerable room in it, it is way too much sleeping bag to carry.
A 38L pack will easily hold a summer rated bag in a compression sack(which is all you need).

Hi Jeff, I have an Osprey Kestral 38 s/m. I bought it last weekend, so it's the current model. I have an acrylic sleeping bag that weighs 1.2kg (close to 2.6lbs) and fits in the Osprey Kestral very well; albeit tight (but that's good).

The Kestral has an adjustable flap towards the centre of the main pack, which can be used to separate the top half (top load) from the bottom part (typically where the sleeping bag goes). This means you can adjust the space inside the Kestral to suit the varying size of the sleeping bag and not lose any wasted space.

Attached is a link to the Osprey user manual (Europe spell it Kestrel).
http://www.ospreyeurope.com/media/wysiwyg/UK_OM/OM_KestrelKyte_S16_ENG.pdf

Hope this helps
cheers

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Got it and thanks. Undid the straps and got it to fit (tightly). So now, wavering between the Osprey and the Gregory again. Will decide and return the non-chosen.

My large Kestrel 38 easily accommodated my sleeping bag, sandals, and sometimes (depending on the weather) I put my rain jacket there also.

https://www.rei.com/product/880178white-sierra-trabagon-rain-jacket-mens

Https://www.crocs.com/p/crocs-men’s-swiftwater-sandal/15041.html

https://www.rei.com/product/798831/white-sierra-trabagon-rain-jacket-mens

Like Pat mentioned, the panel between the two compartments is flexible. The easy way to get a lot of stuff in the sleeping bag compartment is to turn the pack upside down and fill that section prior to cinching down all of the straps (this became my preferred way of loading, and I was very happy with the pack).

How about taking your pack to the store and test packing with the sleeping bag you are thinking of?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I have the Osprey Kestrel 38 also. It's the small size which I think actually has a load capacity of 36L. I carried a sleeping bag in a stuff sack, a silk liner in a sandwich sized zip lock baggie, and a baseball sized poncho in the bottom section of the pack. I really liked being able to access the bag from the bottom without having to unload anything in the top. Everything fit nicely inside including my back up sandals, fleece, and rain jacket. I wouldn't change a thing.

Buen Camino.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.