• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Kyte 36 or Tempest 34

Senmay

Time of past OR future Camino
September 2016 Sarria-Santiago
Hi I am torn between these 2 backpacks. Has anyone used either or both and can share their experience? Thanks

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi I am torn between these 2 backpacks. Has anyone used either or both and can share their experience? Thanks
Here is an option I have grown to love...

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'd suggest a thirty litre pack is more than adequate, and space between your back and the pack is a must.
Thanks
Mark

I have used the men's versions of these backpacks, the Kestral and Talon, respectively. I replaced the Kestral with the Talon because the Talon is simpler. If you like a lot of zippered pockets, compartments, and loops to hang things the Kyte may be better for you and if you prefer a simpler BP the Tempest will work out.

The Kestral (Kyte) is more stout than the Talon (Tempest) but I find that my Talon BP is quite durable. What I did not like about the Kestral was that when you filled the zippered compartments on the sides the contents expanded internally which reduced the volume the the main compartment. I found both BPs to be comfortable to carry and well ventilated.

So I would suggest that the first criteria is which BP is more comfortable and the second is how you like to organize the contents of your BP.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I have used the men's versions of these backpacks, the Kestral and Talon, respectively. I replaced the Kestral with the Talon because the Talon is simpler. If you like a lot of zippered pockets, compartments, and loops to hang things the Kyte may be better for you and if you prefer a simpler BP the Tempest will work out.

The Kestral (Kyte) is more stout than the Talon (Tempest) but I find that my Talon BP is quite durable. What I did not like about the Kestral was that when you filled the zippered compartments on the sides the contents expanded internally which reduced the volume the the main compartment. I found both BPs to be comfortable to carry and well ventilated.

So I would suggest that the first criteria is which BP is more comfortable and the second is how you like to organize the contents of your BP.
Great advice thank you

Unfortunately I can’t find a store that has them here so i will be ordering it online (I know this is risky).
You will need to have your torso measured. Hopefully you have a sporting goods store that can measure your torso. If not, the Osprey website or YouTube should have instructions on how to do this at home.

An accurate torso measurement will get you the correct BP size then you will have to make adjustments to the velcro suspension system to dial in your vertical fit. Here an experienced BP person at a sporting goods store can help you out. If this is not available you can view YouTube videos to get you started then you can refine the adjustments on the trail.

Once your BP is dialed in it will serve you well

My daughter walked the Chemin with the Kyte. Sent it home with me and continued with my similarly REI model because it was much more comfortable for her. So fit is important even with a high-quality backpack like the Kyte. FWIW the REI pack was very comfortable for both of us. However, I would def second the suggestion above for a smaller pack by Michelle. You will not want to carry more than 30L and you will not need more than it can contain. Remember you will have to carry water. If I did it again, I would only carry a 30L pack.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.