• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Kyte 36l advice

Coo

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk in September, I think from Porto
Hi everyone

I'm new to this group so please forgive me if this is inappropriate. I'm planning to walk the Portugese Way (central I think) in September...super excited! I have a limited budget and have the opportunity of getting a once used Osprey Kyte 36L pack from Australia, one I see recommended by many, but it's not available in SA. Obviously it would be ill advised if I haven't tried it on at all. Is there anyone in Cape Town who has one and would be prepared to let me try theirs on.

Many thanks

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi everyone

I'm new to this group so please forgive me if this is inappropriate. I'm planning to walk the Portugese Way (central I think) in September...super excited! I have a limited budget and have the opportunity of getting a once used Osprey Kyte 36L pack from Australia, one I see recommended by many, but it's not available in SA. Obviously it would be ill advised if I haven't tried it on at all. Is there anyone in Cape Town who has one and would be prepared to let me try theirs on.

Many thanks
BEST pack I’ve ever owned!!! Been using mine for four years and both my daughters have used it as well

BEST pack I’ve ever owned!!! Been using mine for four years and both my daughters have used it as well
Thanks for this, my problem is I can't try it on anywhere and so I'll probably have to pass it up. What kind of build are you and your daughters, I'm medium build but narrow hips and that I guess makes it really critical that I try before I buy!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Is there an outdoors outfitter selling Osprey packs that you might visit just to try it on?

The Kyte looks like a pretty solid pack, and built to stand up to a lot of use in difficult circumstances. Perhaps not as light as a camino pack might be, where a pack doesn't need to be as robust. But if the price is right and it is big enough for your camino packing list, it would not be an unreasonable option.

Hi Coo,
I am no expert, but from experience, and uncomfortable backpacks, I have learnt that
”torso length” is the most important factor in sizing your pack.
If I may recommend a You tube video by Doug, “Backcountry Pilgrim“, he explains the factors of capacity and sizing very well.
Enjoy the Forum, you will find so much to help your thought process, and to make your Camino the best possible experience.
Buen Camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Coo,
I am no expert, but from experience, and uncomfortable backpacks, I have learnt that
”torso length” is the most important factor in sizing your pack.
If I may recommend a You tube video by Doug, “Backcountry Pilgrim“, he explains the factors of capacity and sizing very well.
Enjoy the Forum, you will find so much to help your thought process, and to make your Camino the best possible experience.
Buen Camino
Thank you!

Is there an outdoors outfitter selling Osprey packs that you might visit just to try it on?

The Kyte looks like a pretty solid pack, and built to stand up to a lot of use in difficult circumstances. Perhaps not as light as a camino pack might be, where a pack doesn't need to be as robust. But if the price is right and it is big enough for your camino packing list, it would not be an unreasonable option.
Thank you

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Coo,

Maybe reconsider the locally stocked options? There is some very budget friendly yet quality options (ranging from R1k - R3k) available at Cape Union Mart/Outdoor Warehouse which ought to come in cheaper than the Aus option, especially considering the "extra" cost getting it from Aus to SA.

Enjoy the planning & prepping, that's half the fun!

T
Hi Coo,

Maybe reconsider the locally stocked options? There is some very budget friendly yet quality options (ranging from R1k - R3k) available at Cape Union Mart/Outdoor Warehouse which ought to come in cheaper than the Aus option, especially considering the "extra" cost getting it from Aus to SA.

Enjoy the planning & prepping, that's half the fun!
Thanks so much! I have contacts! 😉🙃 and it comes in much cheaper, but still undecided . Thanks for all the input, this is a great forum!

I bought my Osprey Kyte 36 five years ago without trying it on. It fit perfectly. There are a lot of straps you can adjust on it. I know Osprey has an app where you can take a photo of your body and it will "fit" different models of packs to your body based on the photo. You could try that if you don't find anyone in Cape Town with a Kyte.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thanks Holly, I think I'm going to take a chance, my measurements seem to be fine... I've looked at very carefully. I'll let you know!😉

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.