• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Pack and their Almighty Guarantee (its real)

Time of past OR future Camino
See signature.
In preparation for my Camino later this year I decided to send my 2011 Osprey Stratos 36 pack back into Osprey so that they could repair it. After 4 Caminos (Frances, Salvador, Primitivo, Norte), some of the stiching had come loose, and a zipper was stuck. The pack had performed wonderfully, carrying on average a 8 or 9 kg load (including food and water) over those thousands of miles comfortably. Still I decided it was in need of a tuneup.

Sadly today I received the following email from Osprey:

"Hello Damien,

We received your pack for repair but unfortunately are unable to make a functional repair on it. We would like to offer you a free replacement pack per our All Mighty Guarantee.

The pack you sent in was a Stratos 36. We still make that same model, but the design features/colors have been updated. Please take a look at the link below check out the redesigned pack.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mens/stratos_36_1

Please respond with your first and second color choice preferences. Once I receive your reply I will get the replacement pack on order for you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask."

I was kind of bummed the poor guy would be put to pasture, but stoked that a new one will be on its way in time to be broken in over the Pyrenees in April.

The performance, warranty, and support offered by the Osprey company has made me one happy customer. It is not often I get to say that about anything these days.

Damien

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Experienced the same with my poor very loudly creaking Aura before my two week camino in September last year, they tried to fix (or at least find) the source of the piercing creaks but gave up and sent me a new one. I felt the same sadness that my good companion was gone, but am overjoyed with my new and silent pack!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
That is a real testimonial. Glad I bought and used an Exos last year. Now I know I can send it back in 5 years and get it replaced or tuned up.

Now....what about the Gregory I used on 5-6 Caminos. I am pretty sure that Gregory does not have that policy and would not be surprised if Osprey is not interested in the Gregory. :cool:

I was shopping around for a backpack late last year. I asked the outdoor shop rep about the backpack I'm eyeing to buy compared to Osprey. He mentioned both brands are good and of high quality but Osprey has an excellent warranty. It's $30 more expensive but the warranty offered by Osprey is worth the difference. Last November, i got bought my Osprey backpack. It's nice to hear such company stand by their product and warranty. Thanks for sharing your story.

Buen Camino.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I also sent my Exos in after two Caminos, it was also not able to be repaired, received a new one plus they sent my Forum and APOC patches which I had inadvertntly left on my original pack. Great company!

In preparation for my Camino later this year I decided to send my 2011 Osprey Stratos 36 pack back into Osprey so that they could repair it. After 4 Caminos (Frances, Salvador, Primitivo, Norte), some of the stiching had come loose, and a zipper was stuck. The pack had performed wonderfully, carrying on average a 8 or 9 kg load (including food and water) over those thousands of miles comfortably. Still I decided it was in need of a tuneup.

Sadly today I received the following email from Osprey:

"Hello Damien,

We received your pack for repair but unfortunately are unable to make a functional repair on it. We would like to offer you a free replacement pack per our All Mighty Guarantee.

The pack you sent in was a Stratos 36. We still make that same model, but the design features/colors have been updated. Please take a look at the link below check out the redesigned pack.

http://www.ospreypacks.com/en/product/mens/stratos_36_1

Please respond with your first and second color choice preferences. Once I receive your reply I will get the replacement pack on order for you. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask."

I was kind of bummed the poor guy would be put to pasture, but stoked that a new one will be on its way in time to be broken in over the Pyrenees in April.

The performance, warranty, and support offered by the Osprey company has made me one happy customer. It is not often I get to say that about anything these days.

Damien
Osprey replaced my Exos after I finished my Bibbulmun track 1000km after only 47 days use because some mesh had worn. I will only use Osprey packs now. I have a 36 ltr Osprey that I use for my Camino journeys and this year will be No three :) very happy.

Deuter (Europe) Go lite (USA) never an Osprey. I await the wraith form the experts!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Interesting to know!

I've always used Lowe Alpine packs - as a regular walker outside of Camino-ing, I've used various models for various purposes - and never really had any problems with them. In fact it occurs to me I have never felt the need to test their warranty - whatever that is! Which is good in one sense - no pack failures - but an unknown factor if I ever feel the need to test it. :D

However, I'd definitely look at Osprey in future - good customer service and their belief in their product is a comforting thought.

I have just purchased an Osprey Sirrus 24 back for my Camino in May and already I am thrilled with it. After reading this thread I am even happier I chose Osprey. Thank you for sharing. Buen Camino
Osprey 24! I'm impressed. I used to walk with a 34, increased to 40, I think, to lug around a sleepingbag on Del Norte, which I didn't need. But 24! Please share your packing list.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
It's true. I came back from the Francés in 2013 and the frame of my Osprey Kestrel had worn two holes in the bottom of the pack. Osprey replaced it, no questions asked, through my local dealer.

When we were getting ourselves kitted out last summer, my husband bought an Osprey. It was really nice and practical and I would dearly have liked to buy one too but they were just not comfy for me. So I stuck with my old Lowe Apline 32, which was a true friend on the camino, but sadly it suffered an accident recently and is now deceased. I never thought to send it back for a repair, stupidly, especially since the new version of the Lowe Alpine 32 has different padding and not comfortable. Maybe I will have to go and try an Osprey again!

My hiking poles were a different matter. I bought Black Diamond z trekking poles, which were wonderful. Soon after getting back, the top section stuck totally. I took them back to Cotswold Outdoors and much to my surprise, I was given new ones.

Moral: It pays to buy good kit like Osprey or buy from a quality retailer. You get what you pay for.

Eagle Creek has a lifetime warranty. I travel a lot and bought an Escape Pouch from them about 20 years ago (they don't even make this model anymore). One of the zippers broke. I sent it to them. They replaced all the zippers without my asking. It's good as new. These things are tough, light and washable. Another great company that stands behind their products.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm going to buy a new backpack and I'm sure it'll be Osprey ... I think ( dream) about it since one year...

Hi,

My experience is totally different. My Osprey farpoint 55 started to fall appart 15 days after buying it. I got it sent to Osprey. They had the rucksack for 30 days and sent it back to me badly sewed. When I complained about the really bad repairement a guy called Harriet Marsh, who apparently was a "guarantee assistand" (whatever that is), told me the problems with the rucksack "did not appear to be the result of a defect".

I paid 125 euros for a rucksack which started to break 15 days later and got it badly sewed from Osprey...if that is a lifetime guarantee I´m the Che Guevara.

Luckily, the guys at babaik, the company I bought the rucksack from, gave me my money back.

If I were you, I would stay away from Osprey rucksacks and their fake "allmighty guarantee".

Osprey replaced by 36L, not questions asked, no receipt required. As they couldn't fix the chest strap - they sent a new one! I'm impressed with a company that stands by their warranty. And it's a great pack !!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Likewise, I have had wonderful experience with Osprey. I cant believe that this is not a 100 percent for everyone. But, I guess 99 % will do. Anyhow, I have three different Osprey packs that I use for hiking, I hike alot and not just the 4 caminos I've done. AT, PCT, LT FLT and others. I must have flipped my packs with The warranty at least 7 times. ALWAYS satisfied customer here. Ed
PS GO OSPREY!!!

I will definitely be going with an Osprey for my next pack. Currently, I carry a 32 L Deuter. It’s interesting how you figure out what’s wrong with the pack after you’ve had it awhile.

— The little zippered compartments on the waist strap need to be near the front of the waist not near the back . Just aren’t reachable enough.

—I use SmarTube to drink water as I hike, which is fine. Sometimes it is difficult to stuff the water bottle into that side compartment.

— top zippered compartments are fine.

—I would buy a 36 L next time. A little bit more room would not make me bring more, it would work better for my system and packing:

-One waterproof sack for my clothing, one waterproof sack from my sleeping bag or quilt.
Toiletries and medications go in a clear plastic container and sit right on top of both of those items, which are the same height. Sometimes toiletry bag rides kind of high.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Osprey's Australian agents are in no way as accommodating as those in the USA appear to be .
The experience of walkers I know is quite similar to that of Ivanmax , it seems that the retailer is given an allowance for repair by the manufacturer and it depends on the skill of the repairer as to the result . In the three instances of warranty claims that I know of none were ever offered a replacement and all were dis satisfied with the repairs .
My own Osprey is fine and I have not had an issue with it apart from a very annoying squeak !

Likewise, I have had wonderful experience with Osprey. I cant believe that this is not a 100 percent for everyone. But, I guess 99 % will do. Anyhow, I have three different Osprey packs that I use for hiking, I hike alot and not just the 4 caminos I've done. AT, PCT, LT FLT and others. I must have flipped my packs with The warranty at least 7 times. ALWAYS satisfied customer here. Ed
PS GO OSPREY!!!

And I know you have hiked through Yosemite!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I just bumped into this thread and I also have an Osprey - Stratos 50. An excellent model. As for the guarantee, luckily I haven't used it yet but I've heard legends about it (in a positive sense). So I am happy that you guys are all confirming it. :)

Hi,

My experience is totally different. My Osprey farpoint 55 started to fall appart 15 days after buying it. I got it sent to Osprey. They had the rucksack for 30 days and sent it back to me badly sewed. When I complained about the really bad repairement a guy called Harriet Marsh, who apparently was a "guarantee assistand" (whatever that is), told me the problems with the rucksack "did not appear to be the result of a defect".

I paid 125 euros for a rucksack which started to break 15 days later and got it badly sewed from Osprey...if that is a lifetime guarantee I´m the Che Guevara.

Luckily, the guys at babaik, the company I bought the rucksack from, gave me my money back.

If I were you, I would stay away from Osprey rucksacks and their fake "allmighty guarantee".

Thank you for your comments!

There are always 2 sides to a coin and you are presenting it!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Another company that has , in my own personal opinion and experience , a useless '' Lifetime Guarantee'' is THE NORTH FACE .
My very expensive GoreTex jacket has failed after three Caminos , every seam tape has either loosened or fallen off and the sticky residue left behind makes it virtually unwearable .
Three Caminos might sound a lot but then in terms of use ; four occasions in Spain to Santiago and Finisterre[ you always remember the rainy days ] , once in France on the GR70 , and four or five days straight approaching and through the Cisa Pass then descending through torrential rain while walking the Francigena . It was here that I became saturated due to this failure .
Otherwise it has lain in my pack neatly folded in a breathable dry bag , never washed , never abused and now useless.
THE NORTH FACE'S attitude , '' can't find a record of your purchase , sorry , nothing we can do ''
Clearly a manufacturing defect , clearly a shirking of responsibility .

Last edited:
Another company that has , in my own personal opinion and experience , a useless '' Lifetime Guarantee'' is THE NORTH FACE .
My very expensive GoreTex jacket has failed after three Caminos , every seam tape has either loosened or fallen off and the sticky residue left behind makes it virtually unwearable .
Three Caminos might sound a lot but then in terms of use ; four occasions in Spain to Santiago and Finisterre[ you always remember the rainy days ] , once in France on the GR70 , and four or five days straight approaching and through the Cisa Pass then descending through torrential rain while walking the Francigena . It was here that I became saturated due to this failure .
Otherwise it has lain in my pack neatly folded in a breathable dry bag , never washed , never abused and now useless.
THE NORTH FACE'S attitude , '' can't find a record of your purchase , sorry , nothing we can do ''
Wow, that's a nasty attitude from North Face indeed. I'd be more persistent if I was you.. :)

Sad story at the price these product are. I am wondering if you could post a picture of it?

I would also contact North Face again ...

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
UPDATE: Ok. This is an old thread from 2015 when I replaced my gen 1 Stratos 36... purchased in 2011, so that year they sent me a replacement... well, after like 6 or 8 caminos since, the replacement pack was showing wear around the hip area, to the point where I actually pulled out needle and thread and did a field repair on the Norte in May 2022. My repair skills are questionable!

After coming back home to California in June 2022 I tried it again. I sent my pack back to Osprey... this is the replacement one from the first time.

Today I received a similar email as before (7 years ago) saying they could not fix it properly and would like to send me a replacement. New stratos, though slightly smaller, should arrive in time before Frances Oct. 2022.

So yes, if you ever wondered, you can get a replacement for your replacement for the cost of shipping it back to them, which this time I think was $30.

Edits: I messed up the dates earlier...

Last edited:
UPDATE: Ok. This is an old thread from 2015 when I replaced my gen 1 Stratos 36... purchased in 2011, so that year they sent me a replacement... well, after like 6 or 8 caminos since, the replacement pack was showing wear around the hip area, to the point where I actually pulled out needle and thread and did a field repair on the Norte in May 2022. My repair skills are questionable!

After coming back home to California in June 2022 I tried it again. I sent my pack back to Osprey... this is the replacement one from the first time.

Today I received a similar email as before (7 years ago) saying they could not fix it properly and would like to send me a replacement. New stratos, though slightly smaller, should arrive in time before Frances Oct. 2022.

So yes, if you ever wondered, you can get a replacement for your replacement for the cost of shipping it back to them, which this time I think was $30.

I bought an Osprey Talon 33 for my first Camino in 2012. In 2015 on my third, I threw it in a hot dryer for bedbug treatment, and it emerged from the tumbling with a severely scoliosis-shaped back panel. Before my 2016 walk, I contacted Osprey asking if they could replace the deformed plastic panel, but they said they would send me a new pack instead. (The fellow then asked "By the way, how did this happen?" I explained with the truth and he said "Well, don't do that again!")

Now 5 Caminos later, the mesh pocket on the back has stretched out and also developed some holes (although I have never mistreated it). I am still undecided whether/when I will call on their guarantee again! (I rather like the veteran look of the back pack and it is still functional.) The Osprey packs are not inexpensive, but the first one was certainly a good purchase.

I am currently using the same pack, Stratos 36, I got it for my first Camino in 2017!
I bought it off Ebay, used, but it was perfect condition!
Off topic, I can highly recommend Camelbak water bottles! I was sent a free lid replacement with the plastic snapped!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.