• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Pack - Talon or Stratos?

Robo

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 15,16,18
VdlP 23, Invierno 23, Fisterra 23
Sorry to post yet another thread about packs :(

But I have a very specific question.

I have narrowed down my pack choice to an Osprey Talon 33, I think.

OK, I realise that any final choice will depend on fit and how any given pack feels. So I'm going to spend a bit of time in a local store trying them on.

The question. Ideally for those who have experienced both types of pack.

Which have you found more comfortable? A lighter weight pack like the Talon, or a slightly heavier Stratos, that has a frame and 'stands off' the back a little to allow air flow. Or does it make much difference in terms of comfort?

The question only relates to these two types of Osprey design. I know there are hundreds of other packs I could choose from..........

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
@Robo, it's not clear to me how you could have narrowed down your choice this far without trying them on. Osprey make good packs, but that doesn't mean they will be the best fit for you and your needs. I would suggest that if you still haven't reached the stage of actually trying them (loaded, of course) then don't limit your options to one manufacturer's products just yet.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Robo, it's not clear to me how you could have narrowed down your choice this far without trying them on. Osprey make good packs, but that doesn't mean they will be the best fit for you and your needs. I would suggest that if you still haven't reached the stage of actually trying them (loaded, of course) then don't limit your options to one manufacturers products just yet.
Agreed. You can look at all the technical aspects on line and rationalise a decision but only your body will tell you what suits you. I was very surprised when I shoped for mine to realise how good quality products were a clear "no-no" for my back and shoulders. I think the size you picked is fine, especially if not bringing a sleeping bag, now go from shop to shop to test different brands and models. I too thought I wanted the gap between the back and the bag, but that created more presure backwards, and for my bad back, that was a dealbreaker.

And when you go shopping, ask the sales person to fill the pack with weight to simulate how you will feel day in and day out.

OK, I realise that any final choice will depend on fit and how any given pack feels. So I'm going to spend a bit of time in a local store trying them on.

Which have you found more comfortable? A lighter weight pack like the Talon, or a slightly heavier Stratos, that has a frame and 'stands off' the back a little to allow air flow. Or does it make much difference in terms of comfort?

The question only relates to these two types of Osprey design. I know there are hundreds of other packs I could choose from..........

So here's my two cents. My husband and I walked the Camino for 37 days this past Sept/Oct. We had both purchased the talon and tried them out around the house, before returning them and eventually getting the Stratos for him and the Sirrus (women's model) for me. We could not have been happier. The airflow kept our backs cooler and the extra padding made all the difference in carrying these bags for the whole Camino. We are pretty small folks...me being just 5', hubby at 5'4" and the extra weight, padding and comfort of the Stratos/Sirrus more than made up for the lighter weight of the Talon. See if you can take them home and give them a try around the house so you can make an informed decision.

Hello Robo,

Did my Camino Sept/Oct/14 - chose the Osprey Talon because of the weight - so very light compared to many others. This was the good thing about the pack - but I ended up being extremely unhappy with it. 1) There is very little shoulder padding (obviously this is one of the things that contributes to it being light) and 2) unless they have changed the design of it - the Talon has pockets on the strap fronts, perhaps just big enough to put a power bar, or even your phone - but what I found was that the plastic piece that attaches to the chest closure was attached to this pocket, and with the pocket being of slightly stretchy material, this plastic piece moved past the actual strap and ended up on me - digging in terribly the whole trip. As I went along, I looked at a lot of packs and did not see any other that was designed like this. The pack was a great fit for me, and was definitely light and would have met my needs perfectly, but would never again go for minimal padding for the shoulder straps and would definitely check out what I call a design flaw. I actually asked for a refund from the company - they gave me a hard time, but the store where I purchased it was great and gave me a store credit.

At any rate, this was my experience. Good luck in your choosing.

Linda

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My experience with Talon 44 was overall excellent... Confortable and practical... Though I agree backpack choice is a personal one

Hi Robo, I don't know anything about the two packs you are focused on, but I am with the crew who say go to the store and try on everything. You never know what will work on a pack til you try. The chest strap may not work for you. The the shoulder straps may hit you to wide or narrow, the hip belt may not be comfortable and on and on. I was headed for the Osprey packs and had obsessively done online research :D so I thought I knew what I was going to get. Ha! I ended up with an REI store brand pack because it fit the best! The straps were in the right place so as not to rub on my bra straps (I know that's not a concern for you, but for women it can be a big issue!), the chest strap adjusted high enough so it was comfortable for me. I am short but have a relatively long torso and the length adjustment just worked for me. I went to the store on a non busy day (Monday morning) and spend 5 hours just walking around testing packs!. I mention the detail because its seemingly stupid stuff that may be the most important thing for you. Liz

Hello again, Robo

Just to specify - my pack was a Osprey Talon 33 - I do not have any experience with any other Ospreys. They may be designed differently.

Linda

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the feedback everyone. And Yes I totally get the point about trying them on. And Yes I might even get another brand if it feels 'right'.

I was just trying to isolate the value of the two 'back' designs if all else was equal.

Ha-Ha. I am laughing Robo -- I think only a couple of the posts focused on your actual concern! I will say that my pack had some space between my back and the pack. It didn't matter too much walking in April, but I was happy to have the ventilation on the couple of warmer days we had toward the end. Good luck. Liz

I was just trying to isolate the value of the two 'back' designs if all else was equal.
I have been using packs that have one or other approach for many years. I expect many older walkers will fondly remember an early external frame pack that used mesh panels, while those who had army service might remember some of the early packs with internal stiffening. I still have my first 'civilian' pack, a 55 li Berghaus external frame pack that I purchased in the UK in 1979. I also know the embarrassment when I am reminded how much my waist has grown over the intervening years. On that pack, the mesh is stretched between the two parallel upright elements of the frame and serve to both add an extra area where the pack is supported and keep the sack away from one's back.

My first trampoline frame pack was a Salewa, who I suspect were the first to adopt this approach, ie having an external frame supporting a stretched mesh panel. It now goes by a variety of trade names, but is still the same fundamental concept where the external frame does not extend beyond the physical dimensions of the sack itself. Most of my sub-40li packs use this approach, but I have one very light 30 li pack (900 gm) that has internal stiffening and padding that sits directly on one's back. I used it a couple of times, but it was a far less comfortable pack, and I quickly got some minor repairs done to my old Salewa and continued to use that. So on the basis of back design alone, I sit in the trampoline frame camp. I find it far and away a better approach on packs in this size range.

I recently bought a Lowe Alpine Airzone 35, which I expect will replace the Salewa for day walks. It has a single main compartment, which is less flexible than the top and bottom compartment approach of the Salewa, and I know that I will find this a little frustrating. Certainly for the Camino, I would recommend a two compartment design (ie similar to the Stratos) but I also prefer the flexibility of top-loading packs compared to the panel loaders. My only panel loader is an urban pack by Targus that I use for work - I wouldn't use this design myself for bush walking and hiking. That said, clearly many people do.

My ideal on these these criteria would be a two compartment top loader with a trampoline frame, even in the sub-35 li size range. I would accept the compromise of the small amount of extra weight for this. If your heart is set on an Osprey, the first Stratos model that meets these three is the Stratos 36. It comes in two sizes, the smaller of which is a claimed 34 li capacity. There will be others!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I guess there are as many opinions on back packs as there are people wearing them! In my profile photo, you can see me and John wearing the Talon 33 which have done us proud for all our different caminos. And will do a few more yet.
Buen camino!

I have several Osprey packs, they are excellent and suit me. Others here have said that YOU need to try them and that's a given, when you do allow time, have the boots you will wear and make sure they are fully weighted when you try them. This last point is critical.

As an observation I used a Talon 33 which I already owned from my mountaineering activities, it was excellent for those but not designed for multi day walks as it has light back padding, very little padding on the shoulder straps and all the straps are quite narrow. Fortunately it was completely worn out by the time I got home so it has now been replaced with another Osprey with better support and proper straps. On the plus side all Osprey packs come with a built in whistle - whoopee!

I have been using a Talon 33 for long distance walks for the past few years, including for winter walks in the UK (when it holds enough stuff to stay warm and dry). I love it. I have had very good use out of it and it is still in fabulous shape. For me it is the perfect size (I am 5'7" and use the Small/Medium); and it is soooooo light. It is true that there is not much padding on the shoulder straps -- and for the first few days this used to really bother me. But now I just take a small folder piece of cloth or a small piece of foam and slip it under the strap or under my bra strap. After a few days, the skin adapts and this is no longer necessary. I had originally thought I would get something more substantial like the Osprey kestrel 38 or the Gregory 30-something (I can't remember the name). I had wanted the mesh thing that keeps the pack off your back. But my back and mesh things seem to be very different shapes. So a simply design like the Talon works really well. I originally bought 2 different packs -- brought them home -- took 1 back after wearing it all around the house.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thank you all once again. I spent a couple of hours trying on packs today and will continue to do so till I find the right one.

I think it will be Osprey.

Today I tried Lowe Alpine, Deuter and others. I will go back to tray an Arn. They only had the small size.

And tried the Osprey Stratos and Talon. Fully weighted. (7kg load *)

Both felt good. But I'm swaying slightly toward the Stratos. The more substantial harness and trampoline back might be worth the extra weight I think.

I plan on taking both home, packing them with all my gear and 'home testing' them before making a final decision.

* I think my overall weight will go up a little from my expected 5kg all up. I'm trying to find sandals as a backup for evening and emergency walking if blisters are an issue. and they are a bit heavier than I anticipated. But very comfortable.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I'm sure if you really wanted to Al, you could do it with a Talon zero! Just what you are standing up in and carrying a 1 litre water bottle ;)
1/2 litre? Unfortunately I need something to wear while the clothes are drying! It is sometimes cold and sometimes it is less than dry so I have to carry a coat and waterproof. For some reason I also find toiletries and a bag liner necessary (I have been enjoyed by bedbugs before now). Still one can but dream. I have to confess that I that seeing the superior smile on people's faces when they thing I am a touringo is an amusing thought. ;)

I grabbed a used Talon 33 off ebay tonight to try it out loaded. If it fits right the lack of padding in the shoulder straps should be of no concern. I walked my 2014 camino using a Mammut Crea Light 40L and 2 lbs 5oz empty. And hardly any shoulder strap padding. Because the pack's fit was so perfect and all the weight rested on my hips, I never felt the shoulder straps. I usually only used about 30 of the 40 liters which is why I'm curiuous as to how I can fit my kit in 33L. The next capacity down in the Crea Light is 28L.

I use an Osprey Talon 33 -- I love the size, the weight, and the fact that it is simple. I do get rubbing on the shoulders at the beginning of any trip - as I have with any pack I have ever owned. I just carry 2 small pieces of foam to tuck beneath the straps for the first few days. Recently I borrowed an Osprey Kyte 36 from a friend -- thinking that I might want something slightly bigger and more substantial for my next trip. I have only worn it around the house (it is currently -30 C here....), but so far I am not liking it as much as the Talon. In part it is because it is a 'women's' pack and the shape of the shoulder straps doesn't work for me. Because the Talon is much less structured, its fit is very forgiving. I have also been thinking of trying the Exos 48 - in part from reading the review posted above. It's light enough to use on a camino (no need to fill it all up) and big enough to use for weekend backpacking trips with more gear. They also have a smaller version - I think it is 36 litres.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Concur with all of the comments about really trying these out before hand. I went to the local park and tried out several packs, walking a couple of miles with each of them loaded. Went in thinking I was going to keep the Dueter. After the test, the Stratos 26 was the winner (I did not need bigger, you may not either unless you are walking in Spring or Fall). The mesh against the back was a godsend on the hotter parts of the Camino. Loved that pack. Full disclosure--I walked July/August 2014. Shoulder seasons would be different.

If you are really into light gear look at some of the cuben fiber packs. Z packs, Hyperlite Mountain Gear. About a pound. Ridiculously low weight.

. . . I walked my 2014 camino using a Mammut Crea Light 40L and 2 lbs 5oz empty. And hardly any shoulder strap padding. Because the pack's fit was so perfect and all the weight rested on my hips, I never felt the shoulder straps. I usually only used about 30 of the 40 liters which is why I'm curiuous as to how I can fit my kit in 33L. The next capacity down in the Crea Light is 28L.
One of my packs is a Mammut Creon Light 45L, it weighs less than 2.6 pounds. I've yet to carry it filled! This May I'll be using it to walk along Hadrian's Wall in England for 8 days, no way that it will be full this time. But like you, it just fits so darn well & is so comfortable that I tend to use it, even if I don't need its full capacity.

But back to the ORIGINAL POST and the ORIGINAL QUESTION, I think the last thing to get hung up on is a brand name. FIT and COMFORT must be the first/second considerations for a pack.

With 42 sleeps to go, I am now collecting any final bits of gear I need. I've been training with my 'chosen' boots for 12 months, but steadily trying out other bits of gear.

Today I bought the Camino Pack. Intent on the Talon 33 I went to the store, taking along my training pack loaded with my Camino gear. This way I could test the feel and capacity.

The Talon 33 felt great. Really light and a good fit. Though I sensed that if the pack were really full, care would need to be taken in actually packing it, as the padding on the back is not that thick and solid objects would easily be felt digging in.

Just to double check another option, and to try the 'suspension' style, I tried the Stratos 34. 300g heavier due to heavier fabric and more substantial hip belt and shoulder straps. I loved it. Fitted like a Glove....

So now I have 6 weeks more training to try it out and get used to the adjustments....

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

If you can, try both of them for a hour or so, in store with 10 to 15 pounds in them. I liked and bought the Osprey Talon. I bought it because it's light, still has a internal frame, and lots of external anchor points. To get that I had to sacrifice a few features such as compartmentalization and padding at hips and shoulders. I was 5'10" when I bought it but due to gravity and age I'm now 5'9":(. My pack is a meduim/small and for me, is a very good fit. Buen Camino

Happy Trails

With 42 sleeps to go, I am now collecting any final bits of gear I need. I've been training with my 'chosen' boots for 12 months, but steadily trying out other bits of gear.

Today I bought the Camino Pack. Intent on the Talon 33 I went to the store, taking along my training pack loaded with my Camino gear. This way I could test the feel and capacity.

The Talon 33 felt great. Really light and a good fit. Though I sensed that if the pack were really full, care would need to be taken in actually packing it, as the padding on the back is not that thick and solid objects would easily be felt digging in.

Just to double check another option, and to try the 'suspension' style, I tried the Stratos 34. 300g heavier due to heavier fabric and more substantial hip belt and shoulder straps. I loved it. Fitted like a Glove....

So now I have 6 weeks more training to try it out and get used to the adjustments....

Hi Robo,
Could you please share your experience with the stratos 34 ? Did you find the suspension to be a hindrance while packing ? Appreciate the advice.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.