• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Sirius 36 or 50l?

Yellowfriend

Time of past OR future Camino
Porto- Santiago / Fisterra- Muxia sept 2016
SJPP- Santiago may 2017planninh
hallo,
I orderded both to exercise with weight. They both fit Well and are very light.
Should 36l has enough space for the Camino Frances in may? Doubting between these two :rolleyes::rolleyes:
Thanks!!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
36 liters should be enough in May, in fact, it will help you keep your weight and volumen low, if you have 50 liters, you might end up filling them up!

I manage well enough with a 32 liter Deuter, and that includes raincoat. All in all, even including a 2 liter hydration pack. In the worst case, you can alwasy attach your sandals or something else in the outside part of the rucksack.

Buen camino!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I'd suggest packing both with all of your gear, clothing, etc and see if it is difficult to get everything into the smaller pack, and if there is enough room for snacks, etc. I'm not a fan of dangling bits off the back of the pack, it risks getting caught or falling off or getting dirty, and it gets in the way of hanging your underwear there to dry;)
Just because a pack is large doesn't need it must be filled, I believe most are able to resist filling packs to the brim. Sometimes a larger pack cinched tightly carries better than a smaller one packed to its absolute limits.

My recommendation is the 36L.
I'm a bigger/taller guy, so I always carried a 48L because it fits better, but it was never even nearly packed to capacity on any of my Caminos.
The 36L should be perfect for you, and also small enough to be a carry-on, on your flights. If you pack it up so much it can't be a carry-on, then I think you are carrying too much.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If you want to see what results you get from considering more of the factors that go into what might be a suitable pack volume, there is a calculator here based on a formula from The Complete Walker IV, a classic hikers guide. Note that the calculator requires imperial units for your weight, and I use a value of two days for the camino (while it is a series of day walks, you are carrying more personal gear than you might need for a day walk at home). It gives an answer in cubic inches - if you have a recent version of Windows, the calculator application can do the conversion to litres.

ps - don't be surprised if it gives you a very similar answer to the advice already given, ie that a pack around 35-36 li should suffice. However, do make sure that it will contain everything you are planning to carry.

My pack was 36 liters for an August/September Camino, and I had plenty of room. I had thought of using a 28 liter pack, and I probably could have fit everything in, but it would have been like doing a puzzle every day. :)

The bigger the liters, the bigger the amount of stuff you'll be tempted to stuff in ;)
A great advise is to take the fear to lack of [...] out of the 50L one... and 36L may become way enough!

What is certain is that whichever you chose, the 36L will be too big by the time you'll reach Santiago ;)
Buen Camino!

full

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The bigger the liters, the bigger the amount of stuff you'll be tempted to stuff in ;)
A great advise is to take the fear to lack of [...] out of the 50L one... and 36L may become way enough!

What is certain is that whichever you chose, the 36L will be too big by the time you'll reach Santiago ;)
Buen Camino!

full
Thanks , I keep the 36 l. Have been walking about 10 km this afternoon with Some clothes etc in, about 6 kg. I am glad with my new backpack :)

The following statement is not to dissuade the OP--I hope she made her decision on which pack to use after putting all of her gear into both, and not on the opinions posted here.

That said, I often read people saying taking a larger pack denotes fear or insecurity, while I would say the opposite could just as easily be true: taking a smaller pack means the walker fears they will be unable to stop themselves from over packing. I think that is nonsense. People who cannot control over packing just tie things to the outside of their little pack, or cram things in and bust zippers, etc. I would say the vast majority of forum members are able to use a 40+L pack and not take extraneous garbage. This is especially true when the person posting is smaller, since both packs will actually be smaller than the listed 36 and 50L. Many have posted why a larger pack may be the more appropriate choice (build of the walker, how the weight is distributed in a larger vs smaller pack, etc). Many who propose smaller packs also walk in summer months, when heavy clothing and warm sleeping bags aren't required.

this is, in my opinion, another great forum fallacy: the size of your pack has nothing to do with how secure or insecure you are. The same could even be said about the weight, since you don't know why someone is carrying the size load they are--they may need medical equipment/supplies, they may not be able to afford the lightest sleeping bag, they may have special dietary needs.

Many of us can easily carry much more than the hallowed 10%. When people start shaving the bristles on their tooth brushes, and getting anxious about one pack weighing 2 oz. more than another, that says the effort might be better spent in training--and if physical conditions limit training, then researching pack transport.

Mine is a Osprey Talon 33, it was big enoughwhen I walked from Pamplona to SdC in July 2015. But it's important that the pack you choose, fits your body!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
On the last time I did the CF this past summer (July-August) I could have easily comfortably walked it with a backpack under 30L. Because my crystal ball was broken I did not know I would have zero rain (scratch rain jacket and pack cover). I did not know it would be unseasonably warm, oh hell just plain hot (scratch fleece pullover and long sleeve tech shirt).
Those few items eliminated would have made quite a difference in the overall size and weight of my pack. In retrospect I could have walked it carrying only a pair of convertible pants, a pair of shorts, a couple of tech shirts and my sleeping bag liner, along with toiletries, cap, etc of course.

I see people trying to cram ' stuff ' into small packs all the time .
The gear is packed with the precision of a Zen monk when leaving , it all looks beautiful , neatly folded , everything in its proper stuff bag .
Days later it is generally a shambles , rubbish bag hanging off the side along with the last few day's soiled underwear , a pair of sneakers or sandals , all draped over with a wet and soggy towel .
No one wants those things pushed cosily up next to their clean clothes or sleeping bag .
Plus it's hard on your hands trying to stuff things into an unyielding pack , especially when you are tired , just woken or simply fed up .
Unless the things I need for a trip can be thrown into a smaller pack with little thought I would always opt for a larger bag .

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
On the last time I did the CF this past summer (July-August) I could have easily comfortably walked it with a backpack under 30L. Because my crystal ball was broken I did not know I would have zero rain (scratch rain jacket and pack cover). I did not know it would be unseasonably warm, oh hell just plain hot (scratch fleece pullover and long sleeve tech shirt).
Those few items eliminated would have made quite a difference in the overall size and weight of my pack. In retrospect I could have walked it carrying only a pair of convertible pants, a pair of shorts, a couple of tech shirts and my sleeping bag liner, along with toiletries, cap, etc of course.
Perfect insight would, indeed, be a wonderful thing, and there is a group of people that come close to that by only carrying what they need for the coming day. And it is not particularly difficult, although perhaps it might be a little more expensive, and attract the opprobrium of some of the more doctrinaire advocates of what it means to be a 'true pilgrim'. It is to pack what is needed for the climate, but not needed for the weather on a particular day, into a bag that is forwarded to your next destination.

In the meantime, those of us who want the advantages that come with carrying all of our camino possessions are stuck with the challenge of finding that compromise between having enough to be safe, or even comfortable, and the amount that has to be carried to achieve that.

Last edited:
I used the Osprey Stratos 36L in 2015 on the Frances and this year on the Portuguese (actually starting in Sagres on the Rota Vicentina - highly recommended!) and will use it again from Paris to San Sebastion in 2017. Worked like a champ every time and was very comfortable and durable.

I have a 60L pack that is super comfortable. It is not jammed full, easy to pack each day even if I am a little sloppy in packing.
My observation with many going with smaller packs is that they had a lot strapped on outside their packs or even other smaller pouches or bags hanging off of their main packs.
So sometimes you can kid your self a 35 L pack is all you need, but if you truly can't get all your stuff in easily without super careful packing, what are you actually achieving?
My pack is only about 3/4 full, but I have nothing hanging off my pack except for maybe socks or under wear that is not totally dry from the previous days wash.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in May 2016 and I used a 36L and it was perfect for me.

Mine is a Osprey Talon 33, it was big enoughwhen I walked from Pamplona to SdC in July 2015. But it's important that the pack you choose, fits your body!

I used a deuter 43 and it was perfect and it fits in the overhead compartment, big plus for me-i don't check bags !

I walked from SJPDP to Santiago in May 2016 and I used a 36L and it was perfect for me.
@inmari, @steveo, and @Debora, I presume that you are not saying that just because you walked with a pack of a certain capacity, someone substantially larger or smaller than you would need a pack of the same size.

While there are other factors, pack size requirements are linearly related to the individual's body mass. Telling us your pack size without also telling us what your walking body weight was doesn't give enough information for someone to make a valid extrapolation of that for the person trying to figure out how big a pack to carry.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My advice is to make sure you can fit your hiking boots *in* your pack too.
I had bad blisters and ended up walking some days in my Teva sandals to give my feet a break. I had a 36L pack and it was stressful trying to fit my boots in there too. I walked again last month with a 44L pack and it was so much more relaxed each morning packing my bag knowing I could easily get things out and in without it being a military operation.

Yellowfriend indicated they both fit well and was asking about the "space" using a 36L.
That's true, but my point is that the adequacy of the capacity of any pack is going to be dependent on several factors, key amongst them the walking weight of the user. @Yellowfriend has no way of knowing what your relative walking weights might be, and whether she is getting advice from someone roughly the same size as her, larger or smaller. If she did know that, she would then be able to extrapolate your advice to her circumstances. Right now, that cannot be done.

My advice is to make sure you can fit your hiking boots *in* your pack too.
I had bad blisters and ended up walking some days in my Teva sandals to give my feet a break. I had a 36L pack and it was stressful trying to fit my boots in there too. I walked again last month with a 44L pack and it was so much more relaxed each morning packing my bag knowing I could easily get things out and in without it being a military operation.
Last Camino with my daypack Vaude 20 l I hung my boots under at my backpack and that went Well with walking.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi
I walked CF this year in May/June. Before walking I had similar debate between Ospey Sirius 24L or 36L. I decided on 24L which required attaching my sleeping bag externally to bottom but kept pack weight down nicely. A smaller pack does require good organization to keep everything inside but didn't bother me.
36L should give you plenty of space.
Enjoy!

I have a 36 liter pack and could fit everything, including my shoes (no boots for me) inside when I was wearing my sandals.

Hi
I walked CF this year in May/June. Before walking I had similar debate between Ospey Sirius 24L or 36L. I decided on 24L which required attaching my sleeping bag externally to bottom but kept pack weight down nicely. A smaller pack does require good organization to keep everything inside but didn't bother me.
36L should give you plenty of space.
Enjoy!
Thanks for the respons!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@inmari, @steveo, and @Debora, I presume that you are not saying that just because you walked with a pack of a certain capacity, someone substantially larger or smaller than you would need a pack of the same size.

While there are other factors, pack size requirements are linearly related to the individual's body mass. Telling us your pack size without also telling us what your walking body weight was doesn't give enough information for someone to make a valid extrapolation of that for the person trying to figure out how big a pack to carry.
As I said, it's important that the pack fits the body!

The osprey sirrus 36 fits perfect I am glad with it :)

Attachments

• IMG_8657.PNG
    IMG_8657.PNG
    436.9 KB · Views: 16
As I said, it's important that the pack fits the body!
I don't disagree, but that wasn't the point that I was making. There is a big difference between the size of pack one might need based on body mass, how much you are prepared to look like a Xmas tree and carry stuff outside your pack etc. The attached images are two examples from my recent camino.

If you have a 33li pack that looks like the one on the right, it's probably big enough. There is nothing necessarily wrong with the one on the left on the camino provided the external load is sufficiently well secured so that it won't fall off and you have packed things that need better protection inside the pack. But clearly the pack itself is not big enough for the load that woman is carrying.

Attachments

• P5182707a.JPG
    P5182707a.JPG
    117.9 KB · Views: 56
  • P5242767a.JPG
    P5242767a.JPG
    79.9 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.