• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osprey Sirrus 24 (women's) enough for a del Norte Summer?

FourSeasons

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2016, 2019, 2024
I've used the Osprey Kestrel 38L for my last two CF. Just yesterday I partially loaded it with del Norte gear and I just couldn't get it to feel right. I seem to have plenty of room and would like to down size. Has anyone used the Sirrus 24 for a Camino? (Summer) Any experience/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

:cool:👣

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I used Osprey Atmos25 for two spring caminos, but my son had to carry my sleeping bag. I now have the Osprey Sirrus36 for 3 years and still love it, both spring and summer...just my experience.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, I’ve used the Sirrus 24 for a summer Camino and will repeat this year. I had only a silk sleeping bag with me, opting to sleep in clothing if it was cold ( it never was) or I didn't like the look of albergue blankets. I took one pair trousers, 2 pairs of shorts, 3 sets underwear and socks, a tunic and knee length leggings for evening/ sleeping, a pair of Keen sandals attached to the outside of my bag with an elasticated net, 2 water bottles in side pockets, v small meds box, (using contact lense containers for ‘decanted’ meds), a travel kit for my contact lense solution, (50ml), a microfibre towel, phone & charger, and a hat attached to outside of the bag. Into the bottom pocket, with the rucksack cover I squeezed waterproof jacket and trousers which I never used, and walking poles were held by the loops designed for thst purpose. The rucksack worked well for me at age 62, I found it just about enough to carry. My ONLY issue was that the damn thing developed a squeak 🥴🙄 but Osprey exchanged it for a new one on my return so hopefully that will be squeak free.....I will also carry more bottles of contact solution as I couldn't get mine anywhere and it was traumatic trying....🤦🏼‍♀️🤣

Anybody have any experience with the Gregory Zulu 40. I like the clam shell opening with access to the pack other than just through the top. I have used an Osprey Exos for past Caminos

I don't have an experience with the Osprey pack but I used a 20l Decathlon pack on the Madrid camino in April and it was fine. I had a winter sleeping bag on top of the usual stuff. But I realised 2 things: I don't like stuffing my sleeping bag silly, I feel it doesn't expand as well when it's been too compressed. Also I didn't have extra room for the occasional food, so I carried on the outside. Hope it helps!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I just used the Women's Tempest 30l on the Norte for the first time and loved it. The pocket for a water bladder is on the outside of the bag, meaning no need to take stuff out of the pack to refill. It also weighs only 800 grams compared to my 1500 gram Sirrus 36 (which is great when needing a sleeping bag and thermal underwear etc for late fall/winter Caminos).

I don't like things hanging on the outside of my pack (I often run downhill) so going smaller than 30l would be difficult. My sandals, hat, cup and food (I take extra cause I'm vegan) etc can fit neatly inside.

Anybody have any experience with the Gregory Zulu 40. I like the clam shell opening with access to the pack other than just through the top. I have used an Osprey Exos for past Caminos

I walked 2 caminos with mine and loved it. I only needed a 20L but this one just felt right with its trampoline suspension. Much cooler due to that also.

I walked 2 caminos with mine and loved it. I only needed a 20L but this one just felt right with its trampoline suspension. Much cooler due to that also.

Thanks Leigh. I am actively considerimg one.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

I had a 2011 Gregory Z40 and loved it. The Z-series was modified a few times, at some point becoming the Zulu, and the 2018 Zulu I like, too (I have the 65 liter version of this one, for overnight backpacking). You can still find the 2018 on sale.

I have not tried the new, 2019 version, but it changes the suspension, among other things. I would treat it as a different pack than the earlier Z and Zulu packs and search out new user reviews (I haven't seen any here).

I almost never use the clamshell opening on my Z35 liter Gregory, and rarely on my 65 liter Zulu, so I can't offer anything on that.

I had a 2011 Gregory Z40 and loved it. The Z-series was modified a few times, at some point becoming the Zulu, and the 2018 Zulu I like, too (I have the 65 liter version of this one, for overnight backpacking). You can still find the 2018 on sale.

I have not tried the new, 2019 version, but it changes the suspension, among other things. I would treat it as a different pack than the earlier Z and Zulu packs and search out new user reviews (I haven't seen any here).

I almost never use the clamshell opening on my Z35 liter Gregory, and rarely on my 65 liter Zulu, so I can't offer anything on that.

Thanks for the input Mark. I divide all of my gear into Eagle Creek packing cubes for organization purposes. This explains, I guess, why I like the access from the center of the pack rather than pushing several of them through the top opening and adjusting them. Especially with the trampoline effect of the mesh which meets the back. I find that this squeezes the interior of the top opening a bit. To each his own, I guess. ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I like my Sirrus 36 (3 years old and the design has changed). My problem with a smaller pack would be room for food.
I used the smaller bag but as we are on a keto diet we carried tins of sardines, olives, nuts and salami in a drybag, but its fair to say I only had room for lunch unless prepared to reduce down to one bottle of water, I didn't like that idea. On the CF though, there are few stretches without food, unless you are on keto. 🤦🏼‍♀😉

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.