• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Osteoarthritis

Gerard Murdoch

Time of past OR future Camino
Ponferrada - Santiago (2013)
Porto to Santiago (2015)
Lugo to Finisterre (2017)
Porto Coastal (2019)
I have osteoarthritis in both feet for some time now, mainly at the metatarsals and very painful after a 14 mile walk. It is now very sore at my big toe. We are walking another Camino soon, and I want to plan ahead.
Has anyone used those realignment socks that support the big toe. It seems a good idea, but wondered if they could slide and cause more irritation and maybe blisters.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I have osteoarthritis in both feet for some time now, mainly at the metatarsals and very painful after a 14 mile walk. It is now very sore at my big toe. We are walking another Camino soon, and I want to plan ahead.
Has anyone used those realignment socks that support the big toe. It seems a good idea, but wondered if they could slide and cause more irritation and maybe blisters.
I have custom orthotics which help a lot. Although I have it in both big toes, my left toe is much worse.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I haven't tried these, but I have strapped one foot in the past to try and straighten, at least temporarily, a hallux valgus. I did a quick look for the strapping technique on the web, and found a similar strapping using kinesio tape. I used rigid strapping tape at the time. It isn't something I kept doing, but it did relieve the discomfort and increased the space between my big and the next toe, reducing the risk of blistering there.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Think about trying Hoka trail runners; the soles are very thick, but cushy and may help your foot issues. They are like walking on marshmellows or pillows. I love them.
See you do have great advice. ;)My wife has the beginnings of these issues as well as back issues too. From this forum I suggested she get Hokas. She absolutely loves them and have helped her alot. I bought a pair of Speedgoats and you are right they are like walking on air. I liked them so much I especially because of the thick and cushy soles that I almost ditched my tried and true Brooks Cascadias last year when I walked the VDLP. After a discussion with @davebugg I went with my heart and that tried and true adage, if it ain't broke why fix it. I was really glad I did and as I prepare for my October camino, probably close to 900K I have a new pair of Brooks ready to go. But I digress haha. I really believe that the Hokas have a real chance to help. I base this on your experience, my wife's, my niece who is a nurse and is on her feet 12-24 hours at a time, as well as, according to her about 90% of the nurses in her hospital, and lots of pilgrims here, who all swear by their Hokas.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Have you had them injected? That might help get you through a camino if you time it right.

I have some issues with my feet as well. My custom orthotics are well worth the high cost, and without them, I wouldn't be able to walk as much as I do.

What shoes are you wearing and how often do you replace them? I now use New Balance Fresh Foam More runners (they come in Wide), which are super-cushioned and have a rocker style sole - similar to the Hokas. However, the cushioning in any of this type of shoe is distinctly less effective after about 500 km, and I notice increase soreness in my feet. The shoes do not look worn out, but I can feel the difference when i put on a new pair. Unfortunately, it is hard to get great cushioning and great durability at the same time.

Last edited:
which are super-cushioned and have a rocker style sole - similar to the Hokas.
Hmmm, my Hokas did not have a rocker style sole and they lasted a long time; in fact I am not a fan of that type of walking/rolling shoe. Other good brands probably make similar models to the Hokas.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I haven't tried these, but I have strapped one foot in the past to try and straighten, at least temporarily, a hallux valgus. I did a quick look for the strapping technique on the web, and found a similar strapping using kinesio tape. I used rigid strapping tape at the time. It isn't something I kept doing, but it did relieve the discomfort and increased the space between my big and the next toe, reducing the risk of blistering there.
Thank you for that helpful information, and I will have a browse through the internet.

Have you had them injected? That might help get you through a camino if you time it right.
Not had them injected yet, but could be an option, although very difficult to see a doctor these days.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have some issues with my feet as well. My custom orthotics are well worth the high cost, and without them, I wouldn't be able to walk as much as I do.

What shoes are you wearing and how often do you replace them? I now use New Balance Fresh Foam More runners (they come in Wide), which are super-cushioned and have a rocker style sole - similar to the Hokas. However, the cushioning in any of this type of shoe is distinctly less effective after about 500 km, and I notice increase soreness in my feet. The shoes do not look worn out, but I can feel the difference when i put on a new pair. Unfortunately, it is hard to get great cushioning and great durability at the same time.
I wear Merrell walking boots and change them whenever the tread wears away. This year is a shorter walk from Santiago to Finisterre then Muxia over 5 days.

Have you tried something like this to start wearing now as people swear by these for all different kinds of foot issues. I purchased a pair for myself as I have arthritis and also a pair for my daughter who has frequent plantar fasciitis and they are so comfortable. This video gives all the information on them and how to use them. They are extremely soft and comfortable, I just wear them around the house and when doing yoga. I also agree about wearing Hoka shoes!

Last edited:
Have you tried something like this to start wearing now as people swear by these for all different kinds of foot issues. I purchased a pair for myself as I have arthritis and also a pair for my daughter who has frequent plantar fasciitis and they are so comfortable. This video gives all the information on them and how to use them. They are extremely soft and comfortable, I just wear them around the house and when doing yoga. I also agree about wearing Hoka shoes!
I watched the video link. Thank you. Interesting concept, will give it some thought.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have painful osteoarthritis in both my big toe joints and have been under the care of a podiatrist for the past 6 years, and it has made a world of difference. At her suggestion, I wear Hoka trail runners, and alternate when weather is wet with Oboz low-top hiking boots. I have over-the counter felt arch supports that I attach to the underside of my sole inserts. I did try fancy inserts on the Camino del Norte but found that I preferred the Oboz and Hoka inserts. I also take a prescription anti-inflammatory medicine when I am hiking or training, Meloxicam (which, unlike Ibuprofen is not processed through the liver), and get cortisone injections 4x per year...did not have them during COVID lockdowns and I could really tell the difference. We are heading out to walk the West Highland Way in September and I will get injections a week before we leave. So in summary, there are many ways that this condition can be mitigated if you work with a qualified professional. If you go this route, make certain you work with someone who treats active people and understands how important it is for you to keep walking and hiking. Good luck!

Have you discussed your specific situation and needs with a podiatrist who is familiar with long distance walkers? You might have to ask around to find one (my podiatrist hikes and backpacks).

The solution for one person can differ from that of another - arthritis and calcium buildup in my big toe joints causes them to tolerate very little flexing, well cushioned shoes that initially feel comfortable make things worse (more flexing), whereas a combination of custom insoles and stiff soles limit flexing and allow backpacking in comfort all day. Suggest starting with a good evaluation.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Have you thought of walking a shorter distance that does not cause pain and/or aggravate this condition? I ask as someone who has had to make changes in my activities over time to accommodate age and health issues so I can keep doing the things I love.

Have you thought of walking a shorter distance that does not cause pain and/or aggravate this condition? I ask as someone who has had to make changes in my activities over time to accommodate age and health issues so I can keep doing the things I love.
Yes, in the end, that's what we all must do! When I walk on the Camino, I plan out options that allow me to walk less than 20 km/day - in case my feet complain about more. Someday I will need to plan for 15 km/day, and I will still consider myself lucky to be able to do that.

There are many things to try, to make ourselves as comfortable and active as possible. It seems a shame to curtail the healthy activity without trying these options. My carefully selected shoes and insoles also help me a lot with shorter distances as well, and that keeps me walking on a daily basis.

I have painful osteoarthritis in both my big toe joints and have been under the care of a podiatrist for the past 6 years, and it has made a world of difference. At her suggestion, I wear Hoka trail runners, and alternate when weather is wet with Oboz low-top hiking boots. I have over-the counter felt arch supports that I attach to the underside of my sole inserts. I did try fancy inserts on the Camino del Norte but found that I preferred the Oboz and Hoka inserts. I also take a prescription anti-inflammatory medicine when I am hiking or training, Meloxicam (which, unlike Ibuprofen is not processed through the liver), and get cortisone injections 4x per year...did not have them during COVID lockdowns and I could really tell the difference. We are heading out to walk the West Highland Way in September and I will get injections a week before we leave. So in summary, there are many ways that this condition can be mitigated if you work with a qualified professional. If you go this route, make certain you work with someone who treats active people and understands how important it is for you to keep walking and hiking. Good luck!
I have Capsicum cream under prescription, which helps to mask the pain, also use Superfeet insoles. Thank you for that wonderful information, and hopefully I can plan in advance. Have a great journey on the WHW., the midge season ends in September, so you may be lucky.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Because of timescales, unfortunately, it wasn't an option. There is a 33km and a 28 km. They were never an issue before. With all this great advice, from everyone, I feel a lot more confident.

In my view the socks are most unlikely to help OA which is worn out cartilage and a joint full of crud and getting inflamed on and off. If it’s a bunion that is also not likely to shift the joint with external traction. The pain is likely the inflamed joint . For me the situation has been vastly bettered by surgery to realign the bones hence relieving most of the foot joints of pressure.. It took many months to recover but I then took up long distance walking on feet full of metal. What definitely is likely to help you now are orthotics and arch supports all day every day .Also be sure it’s not gout.. doc could check.

In my view the socks are most unlikely to help OA which is worn out cartilage and a joint full of crud and getting inflamed on and off. If it’s a bunion that is also not likely to shift the joint with external traction. The pain is likely the inflamed joint . For me the situation has been vastly bettered by surgery to realign the bones hence relieving most of the foot joints of pressure.. It took many months to recover but I then took up long distance walking on feet full of metal. What definitely is likely to help you now are orthotics and arch supports all day every day .Also be sure it’s not gout.. doc could check.
Thank you for that helpful advice and well done to you for going for surgery, a long process, but obviously has helped.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Yes 14 miles is a lot. I have some issues with my feet (don't we all) - Mortons Neuroma and bunyons, badly sprained ankle a few years ago ...). I used to plan for an average of 20 km per day but now I am planning for 17 km per day for my next Camino - and if that is too much I will just have to take a bus/train/taxi a few times.
I try and stick to non-medical interventions. I practice my 'yoga toes' - streatching the toes wide while standing - and do a number of feet excercises to strengthen the whole foot and ankle. And recently sought the help of a podiatrist.
Lots of other great suggestions above. Love to your feet.
Buen Camino

It is something like this, but not to sure if it would work on a long distance. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/393850481990?hash=item5bb3516d46:g:yZYAAOSweDBhwppK
that looks like trouble to me. blister makers. I have Hallix Digatis. sp I am going to have surgery but didn't want to do it before my Camino Portuguese, which I completed in May. I am 72. It...the arthritis, has taken over my joint at the base of my big toe. It looks narly. I am having surgery now due to age. The older I get the more complicated it will be. And....I have arthritis everywhere. You will survive but pain is hard to walk with. Good luck and Buen Camino.

No, but I used Kinesiology tape and it helped my inflammation at that joint. You could also a) tape the toe first with ’paper tape’ (medical) and pad inside the alignment sock with Hiker’s Wool... Play around with it at home 🌻

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks to all for this thread. After finishing the CP last September, I had bunion+ surgery that went wrong. Trying to limp my way through this summer with a trip to Europe in 4 weeks, with a plan for corrective surgery in October. I honestly didn’t know how I was going to manage all the walking. Then, like a beacon, your posts appeared. I ran, didn’t walk, to the nearest REI and bought a pair of Hoka Bondi shoes. OMG, relief for the first time in 10 months. Thanks, thanks, thanks!

Can you visit a podiatrist for advice?

Yes 14 miles is a lot. I have some issues with my feet (don't we all) - Mortons Neuroma and bunyons, badly sprained ankle a few years ago ...). I used to plan for an average of 20 km per day but now I am planning for 17 km per day for my next Camino - and if that is too much I will just have to take a bus/train/taxi a few times.
I try and stick to non-medical interventions. I practice my 'yoga toes' - streatching the toes wide while standing - and do a number of feet excercises to strengthen the whole foot and ankle. And recently sought the help of a podiatrist.
Lots of other great suggestions above. Love to your feet.
Buen Camino
Thank you for that good advice, I have never tried Yoga, but the exercises seem a good idea.

I am going with Hoka Tectonic X. I LOVE them. Good sized toe box, great ground feel, cushiony like other Hoka. The carbon plates (which give the shoes an eye-watering price) actually give a slight springy feel. I mean…you aren’t going to be like a lunar astronaut taking ten foot bounds…but they feel great. If you stop by a shoe store, try a pair on.

Last edited:
I am going with Hoka Tectonic X. I LOVE them. Good sized toe box, great ground feel, cushiony like other Hoka. The carbon plates (which give the shoes an eye-watering price) actually give a slight springy feel. I mean…you aren’t going to be like a lunar astronaut taking ten foot bounds…but they feel great. If you stop by a shoe store, try a pair on.

Thanks for your advice. There are a lot of positive comments about Hoka shoes, which up till now, I have never considered. But it may be the time to buy a pair and take them with me along with my Merrell boots.

I would be very nervous about blisters with any corrective socks. I used custom orthotics inside Hoka Stinson ATRs. The other thing to try are cortisone injections two weeks before departure. My big toe issues are very similar to the other responses herein.

I would be very nervous about blisters with any corrective socks. I used custom orthotics inside Hoka Stinson ATRs. The other thing to try are cortisone injections two weeks before departure. My big toe issues are very similar to the other responses herein.
I prevent blisters by covering the "hot" area with either medical adhesive tape or thin moleskin. My wife has had good results with toecaps. A friend uses Hydro seal bandages. Inspecting ones feet early in a walk, maybe at 20min., will allow one to identify the spots that require attention.

that looks like trouble to me. blister makers. I have Hallix Digatis. sp I am going to have surgery but didn't want to do it before my Camino Portuguese, which I completed in May. I am 72. It...the arthritis, has taken over my joint at the base of my big toe. It looks narly. I am having surgery now due to age. The older I get the more complicated it will be. And....I have arthritis everywhere. You will survive but pain is hard to walk with. Good luck and Buen Camino.
Thank you for your advice and support.

I would be very nervous about blisters with any corrective socks. I used custom orthotics inside s. The other thing to try are cortisone injections two weeks before departure. My big toe issues are very similar to the other responses herein.
Thank you for your advice.. I felt the same with corrective socks.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola, I was really hoping to walk the Camino again this coming summer but despite all my hopes and planning I am in need of a hip replacement instead, yea! I walked the Frances in 2017 and have...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back