• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OTHER PILRIMAGES - News

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
THOUSANDS of pilgrims visiting the most famous healing well in Britain will be offered new accommodation in a £1.8m development of the St Winefride’s Well ancient pilgrimage site. The Bishop of Wrexham, the Right Rev Edwin Regan will tomorrow bless and open St Winefride’s Guest House and Bridgettine Convent at Holywell.
The Sisters who run the guest house, now known as St Winefride’s House, have taken up residence in the adjoining Ave Maria Hall, which is now known as The Bridgettine Convent.
The Convent has a new chapel which is open daily and is also open to visitors to the guest house.
The St Winefride’s Guest House, with en suite accommodation for 31 visitors, provides bed and breakfast or full board.

http://www.dailypost.co.uk/

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Pilgrims in Rome for the Pauline Jubilee Year can follow the footsteps of the Apostle to the Gentiles through a special tour and earn a special certificate the "Paolina"

Benedict XVI is scheduled to inaugurate the jubilee at Saturday evening's vespers, in a ceremony at St. Paul's Outside the Walls. The Pauline year ends June 29, 2009, feast of Sts. Peter and Paul.
The Opera Romana Pellegrinaggi is supporting the initiative with hospitality for the pilgrims and a special Pauline itinerary, presented in Rome earlier this month.
The Opera Romana Pellegrinaggi is the Vatican institution whose mission it is to evangelize through pastoral tourism and the ministry of pilgrimage.
Father Cesare Atuire, delegate administrator of ORP, said St. Paul is a special protector of the organization, "because [he] was a great pilgrim. It is said that he journeyed between 14,000 to 16,000 kilometers (8,700 to 9,950 miles) in his time. And what does a pilgrim do? During his journey, as he walks, a pilgrim evangelizes, and this is what Paul did.
"He traveled, preached the Gospel, was a witness of the Resurrection in all the places he visited. And I believe that we, too, who are trying to take man through the streets of the world, also want our travel to be a form of evangelization."

4 main stops
The itinerary for the Pauline tour includes four essential stages in following the Apostle and his proclamation. The papal Basilica of St. Paul Outside the Walls, where the saint's body rests, is the first stop. The Abbey of the Three Fountains, where he was martyred, is the second. Pilgrims will also stop at St. Peter's Basilica and the Basilica of St. John Lateran.
Upon completing the journey, pilgrims will receive a type of diploma, the "Paolina," in keeping with the tradition of having a momento of their journey on the roads of Europe.
The pilgrimage also includes five secondary stages: two points of Paul's residence in Rome -- the churches of San Paolo alla Regola and of Santa Maria in Via Lata; the Mamertine prison, near the Roman Forum, where he was last in prison before his martyrdom; the basilica and catacombs of St. Sebastian on the Via Appia, where Peter's and Paul's bodies rested for some decades; and the church of St. Prisca on the Aventine, residence of Sts. Aquila and Priscilla, who looked after Paul and accompanied him on his mission to Greece and Asia Minor.
The time allotted for the pilgrimage is one or three days.
And to prepare for the pilgrimage, the priest recommended reading St. Paul's letters, "because he was a person who, like us, did not know Christ, in the sense that he did not meet Jesus while he was on earth. He had the experience of the Risen One and this experience transformed his life. He lived it with a great explosion of freedom. For us, especially in the West, where there is a certain exhaustion in the experience of faith, to rediscover Paul gives us enthusiasm to carry on."

On the Net:

Pauline itinerary: http://www.josp.com/index.php?option=co ... &Itemid=11

Official Web site for Pauline year: http://www.annopaolino.org/index.asp?lang=eng

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The Abraham Path Initiative is a fascinating project. Running from Turkey down through to Jerusalem, it traces Abraham's path through the Middle East. The aim is to unite people of all nations who can trace their history and faith back to Abraham. To me it just sounds like a fab walk. I'm hoping to try some of the new National Hiking trail in Jordan next year.

http://www.abrahampath.org/about.php?lang=en

RK

The Abraham Path is not open to individual pilgrims yet. However, they arrange guided walks for different interest groups. If you are between 18 and 30 years old you could join a walk next month:

We are pleased to share with you a special opportunity for you or someone you might know: a two-week journey through Palestine, including a historic inaugural walk to open the Abraham Path in Palestine, for students and youthful participants ages 18 - 30. The trip will take place June 30 - July 13, 2008.
Highlights of the two-week journey include: three days of walking on the Abraham Path through Palestine to allow for a slow-paced, meaningful experience journeying through villages and towns; cultural exchange with Palestinian university students who will walk the path along with international students; home stays and opportunities for interaction with local residents; and many occasions to experience and learn about the rich history and culture of the area.
This is an incredible opportunity to experience the warmth and hospitality of the region and to see the Middle East in a way not often portrayed by the media. We encourage you to pass the word! Please feel free to forward this email and the attached brochure/itinerary which provides information about this special journey.

Kathleen Michel
Tours Coordinator
kathleen@abrahampath.org
+1-303-447-0520
Abraham Path Initiative
1245 Pearl Street, Suite 208
Boulder, CO 80302
http://www.abrahampath.org

Salisbury Cathedral - 750th anniversary pilgrimage

A celebratory Pilgrimage Walk takes place tomorrow, celebrating both the 750th Anniversary of Salisbury Cathedral and the 35th Anniversary of the special link between the Diocese and the Episcopal Church of Sudan. Starting from the site of the original Cathedral at Old Sarum the pilgrimage will follow a route along footpaths and Water Meadows to the "new" Cathedral Close, and is expected to feature over 1000 pilgrims from across the diocese.
The Pilgrimage reaches its climax with a celebration held outside the West Front of the Cathedral, led by the Bishop of Sherborne, The Rt Revd Tim Thornton.

More.....
http://www.thisiswiltshire.co.uk/displa ... hedral.php

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Costa Rica -

This year, 2 million believers are expected to make the pilgrimage on foot, by horse, bus or even on their knees to honor La Negrita, a small black statue of the Virgin Mary, as well as to give their respects having had their prayers answered. Some devotees walk up to 300 kilometers to reach their destination. This pilgrimage coincides with the feast day of the Virgin of the Angels held on Aug. 2, which commemorates the miraculous appearance of a small carved image of the virgin mother to a child.
Over 50 officials are keeping an eye on the traffic and the pilgrims as they approach the Basilica this year, and 350 volunteers will be present to help out along the way as well.

An ancient pilgrimage has been revived in Russia after years of Soviet suppression. Pilgrims walk 180 kilometres (approx. 112 miles) for 5 days through the countryside, woods and bogs. Every two hours, the journey stops for a service by the roadside, as well as 30-40 minutes' rest.
This year alone, over 20,000 pilgrims participated in the walk from Kirov to Velikoretskoye. Despite every trial nature sends along - snow, heat, rain, hailstones, swarms of mosquitoes, callouses, tired anklebones, sleepless nights and unbearable weariness, the majority of pilgrims nevertheless arrive at their destination.

http://catechumen-memoirs.blogspot.com/ ... image.html

When you see the photograph you'll wonder why Santiago pilgrims complain of crowds on the camino! Perhaps this is what pilgrimage should be like??

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If anyone is interested in walking the Shikoku pilgrimage, I have about 30 documents (saved over a period of three years) that I would be happy to share.
Three years ago a friend walked the 88 Temple pilgrimage and carried my photograph (I was a virtual pilgrim!) which he presented at each temple for prayers.
It is one of the many pilgrimages which is on my wish list and even if I never walk it, its been fun collecting info on it.

RIGA - Today, around 90 pilgrims from Riga St. Jacob's Cathedral will start their traditional procession to Aglona Basilica, as LETA learned from priest Ilmars Tolstovs.
It is planned that pilgrims will complete the 320-kilometers long distance in 13 days, crossing Riga, Ogre, Aizkraukle, Jekabpils and Daugavpils Districts on their way.

http://www.baltic-course.com/eng/baltic_news/?doc=1280

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
In some lifetime or other I too hope to make the Shikoku pilgrimage. It ranks right up there with Santiago de Compostela in my "calling to my heart" list, dating back to my fondness for Japanese woodcut prints (which always have a pilgrim shrine in them somewhere) and tough old Zen Buddhism. And maybe even sushi!

Reb.

Here in North Central New Mexico there is an annual Easter (Holy Week) Pilgrimage: Chimayo. Not far from beautiful Santa Fe, where one can dine like royalty or attend world class opera wearing cowboy boots and a Stetson, or sip Margaritas on an adobe rooftop watching glorious sunsets, is an annual rite that draws people from all over the world. While this is no Camino, it is worth participating in (an offers a great excuse to explore the region that is rich in diverse cultures, fabulous scenery and a ruggedness that many people never experience in their lifetime. Following are a few TV newsclips from You Tube - you will get a sense of this very local pilgrimage.

Life is good...

"Ginn"
In Sunny Santa Fe

1. YouTube - Chimayo Pilgrimage
Even though everyone is heading to the same place, they all ...
1 min 34 sec -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZ4kOkhEW9g

2. YouTube - Chimayo Pilgrimages
We talk to people along the way who are making their ...
1 min 53 sec -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GNnXPNPI8g

3. Crowds Arrive For Chimayo Pilgrimage - Albuquerque News Story ...CHIMAYO, NM -- Thousands of people are expected to walk to a small northern New Mexico church for Good Friday. Friday, March 21, 2008.
http://www.koat.com/news/15651457/detai ... b&psp=news - 56k -

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.