• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

other shoes?

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francès (spring 2017), Via Podiensis/Le Puy to Cahors (2018)
What have you decided regarding a 2nd pair of shoes? My understanding is that one needs something for the shower (flip flops), and for evenings (eg if boots are wet, or walking to dinner if not at the albergue), and possibly as an alternative to boots (if dealing with blisters). I was planning to carry keen sandals, but now I think they weigh too much. I'm used to wearing crocs, but only indoors. any guidance welcome!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
What have you decided regarding a 2nd pair of shoes? My understanding is that one needs something for the shower (flip flops), and for evenings (eg if boots are wet, or walking to dinner if not at the albergue), and possibly as an alternative to boots (if dealing with blisters). I was planning to carry keen sandals, but now I think they weigh too much. I'm used to wearing crocs, but only indoors. any guidance welcome!
After a lot of discussing with myself, and after reading different advice.....I have decided to take skechers sandals as my 2nd pair of shoes and also flipflops for the shower, both very lightweight. Will be walking in hiking shoes. (salomon) I really hope it will work out great. My backpack weighs 5,5 kilos, but that is without water. This is my first Camino, so perhaps I am not the right person to give advice. I will start 21. May.

Generic Crocs. Can be had for a few €, and mine only weighs 266 gram (size 42/43). I clip them to the outside of my pack, using one of the straps. Actually quite handy for carrying things like fruit ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
You can wear your crocs to the shower and at light.
Wish you well,Peter.

Only 1 extra pair, double duty, town and shower, so must be platic. Consider Crocs or EVA Birkenstocks.

I'm used to wearing crocs, but only indoors.
I faced the same quandry the first year I walked. Thank heavens I had a digital scale and was weighing everything that was going into the pack, because I certainly never thought shoes could weigh so much! Even if they look lightweight, doesn't mean they actually are lightweight. (For shoe purposes, I define "lightweight" as something under 250g). After evicting my Keen sandals, I tried water-socks, wich were wonderfully lightweight but had such thin soles that walking on European cobblestones of an evening was an absolute disaster.

The next year I tried plain-vanilla Crocs, and they work wonderfully! So I have stuck with them the past four walks. Good in the wet. With socks, adequate in the chill.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
thanks all, you've definitely confirmed my decision!
but curious: so you wear them (crocs) in the shower, and then you dry your feet ... and dry them too?
I'm sure in a week I'll be laughing at myself for all this ridiculous worrying about details!

I had a pair of Columbia sandals, about 7 ounces each, that I could walk in on the trail and afterwards. I go barefoot in the shower.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I was happy to have a pretty pair of light weight sandals to wear in the evening - they "dressed up" my two alternating walking outfits that I wore for 30 days and felt so good on my blistered soles. Barefoot in the shower. Sure wished I had packed a towel though! Learned that the hard way :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I pack lightweight Ecco walking sandals, AND a very light pair of Champion flip-flops for shower wear. I think you need to remove your hiking boots / shoe insoles each evening and allow the entire upper of the shoe / boot to dry out and air.

Whenever not wearing my Keen hiking boots, I use the sandals. If just hanging out at my night's destination and not walking anywhere, I wear the flip-flops.

This choice of footwear, like your main hiking footwear, is a HIGHLY PERSONAL choice. I would recommend however, that you always protect your feet in any shower. Your would not, or maybe you would, believe WHAT some of your fellow pilgrims do in this shower... 'nuff said on that point...:eek:

Preventing a foot fungus is much better in my experience, than treating it, especially while on Camino.

I hope this helps.

I have decided to wear Keen hiking shoes and take Keen sandals. Have never been able to wear flip flops for any length of time. As I have no fat pads on my feet, I need to have a decent pair of shoes to walk on pavement. The hiking shoes are great on trails but my feet burn if I wear them too long on asphalt.

Preventing a foot fungus is much better in my experience, than treating it, especially while on Camino

It appears there is no escaping wet sandals at the end of the day. From the threads, the routine is arrive-laundry-shower-nap/lounge or see the town. Perhaps an extra micro fiber towelette (10 grams) just for wiping wet sandals after shower or bring flipflops too.

Whatever the choice I wouldn't go barefoot in a shower.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Luna sandals which you can use as a backup hiking sandal if required. And yes, I am guilty of wearing these with brightly coloured toesocks.

I am taking my Asolo boots and a pair of Salomon hiking shoes. Flip flops are negligible weight and I bring the cheapest and lightest pair I can find. The wife did the same ...lol

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I like to take a pair of sandals I can walk in, like Tevas, for both around town or on the Camino and a super light-weight pair of flip flops for the shower. The flips are also good for shuffling around in the albergue and easy to slip on for midnight trips to the bathroom, without the bother of dealing with the noisy velcro straps of the sandals.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Your take the cheapest and lightest wife? How do the other wives feel about that? :p:D:p
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahahahahaha I just reread my post ...lmao ty :) Thank God she didn't see it...lol Time for an edit

I survived SJPDP to Finisterre going barefoot in the shower.

And, conversely, I caught a foot fungus at Orisson, my first night out of Saint Jean Pied de Port in 2014 (second start from there - foot problem only once). Every rule has exceptions. It took me a couple of weeks to be rid of it.

In the meantime, my feet smelled like cheese, even when washing them thoroughly with soap and water several times daily. I was not able to get a proper fungicide until I reached Fromista. It was annoying.

My considered recommendation is to always use some sort of shower sandal, flip-flops, or anything to get your foot off the bottom of the shower.

I hope this helps.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Last year i had some superlight Birkenstock Madrid sandals made of plastic.
Very usefull in showers, evenings and two days walking around in Leon.
Very comfortable.
I really recommend those.
I will bring them for my next camino in September.

Flip flops are great for evenings to let your feet breathe after long day walking. I have used Croc flip flops for years and I love them.

No "between the toe" flip flops for me. I take a pair of nike shower shoes,as they have an over the foot velcro strap.

I have used ecco sandals along with my hiking shoes.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Been offline for a while so pleased to see this question posted as I too was wondering. I have read the replies. My situation is that I have achilles tendonitis which I am managing well but I cannot afford at the end of the day to wear lightweight sandals without support and crocs are for me the biggest no no. I guess I am just going to have to bear the added weight of keen sandals or similar. I thought I would just go bare foot in the shower but maybe I have to take cheapo jandles (flip flops) as well. This pack is getting heavier every time I thin about what I require!!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.