• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Our camino is over......before it began

Time of past OR future Camino
CFx5
Norte
Primitivo
CP
Le Puy-SJPP
Via F
Today, we should be heading for Carrion de Los condes....
So where are we?
Back in London!

The plan......
June 2nd ..for 2 weeks ...JPDP to Sahagun
Home for 2 weeks for family commitments
Back on July 2nd ..Sahagun to Santiago

My husband wasn't feeling too well in JPDP so we got the Bourricot van to the Cruz....his bag already sent on to Roncesvelles ....
We walked at a snails pace and took the easy track down from the top
I wanted to call a doctor or get him to Pamplona hospital.......no go here.....stubborn men!!!!

Our daughter booked a flight home for the next day
The hotel staff were wonderful...checking us in

Got home ......He had to have a cup of tea first!
The English love their tea!
Ambulance called ...arrived in 5 minutes
Dash to hospital..

Deep vein thrombosis and pulmonary embolism diagnosed!

I break out in a cold sweat when I think of what might have happened ..and the tears flow
I could be bringing him home in a box right now but I guess it was not his time to go to that happy hunting ground in the sky!

Remember the boxer Rocky Graziano who said"Somebody up there likes me"
I hold on to that ...it's got to be true.....hasn't it?

He is home now ..recovered and raring to go .....not yet though!!

The rucksacks remain thrown in the hall ...still packed with our Camino stuff...haven't touched them!

Will we try again.......might be a while ...but I think we will

Buen Camino to you all whether on or off the Camino right now
Annette

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Good Gracious! What a story! Flying often aggravates existing situations - next time take a boat! Not a comfort but the Camino has been here for over a thousand years, the albergues still will be open in six months, the churches functioning next year, the scenery unchanged next decade, and the joy undimished next generation. It will happen!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
What a journey you've had! Wishing your husband a full recovery and hope you both return to the camino soon.

buen camino

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Glad all turned out well, ok, reasonably well, in the end! Like you and others have said, it could have been so much worse! Wishing him a swift and full recovery! Buen Camino (Santiago is waiting for you), SY

So sorry to hear that, Annette - a huge shock for both of you. Wishing your husband a speedy recovery and hope he'll be walking again soon. In the meantime, take it easy and accept every offer of help that comes your way. These big events take their toll, but can also bring loved ones closer together. Nuala.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Showing again how important it is to listen to our wives! I'm happy to hear your Camino is only on hold because it has infinite patience and will be right there waiting for you when the time is right!! Heal well and (for down the road) Buen Camino!!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Dear God in heaven, what a close call! I can relate completely. Not once, but TWICE now, my husband's come off an airplane and we went straight to the hospital -- with detached retinas! No more flying for him.
Once you have the "all clear," consider taking the Plymouth ferry to Santander, and walking the Norte. It can be your camino of thanksgiving!

Oh, my. All blessings to you both Annette after this very close call. Many would have pushed on and paid the ultimate price. Fortunately...
In the meantime, may you have whatever it takes to hold him back from overdoing it, and to take care of your own heart's responses to it all at the same time.
The journey continues in a different way, and the one in Spain will be waiting for you both when you're ready again. Buen Camino!

Annette, I'm so glad that it worked out well in the end. I shudder to think what might have been. I hope he has a speedy and complete recovery.

Mike

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dear God in heaven, what a close call! I can relate completely. Not once, but TWICE now, my husband's come off an airplane and we went straight to the hospital -- with detached retinas! No more flying for him.
Once you have the "all clear," consider taking the Plymouth ferry to Santander, and walking the Norte. It can be your camino of thanksgiving!

Ferry from Portsmouth to Santander would closer for you
So sorry to hear your news and I do hope your husband recovers very soon.

So where are we?
Back in London!

The plan......

My husband wasn't feeling too well in JPDP so we got the Bourricot van to the Cruz....his bag already sent on to Roncesvelles ....
I wanted to call a doctor or get him to Pamplona hospital.......no go here.....stubborn men!!!!

Dash to hospital..

So sorry to hear about your set back – hopefully ye will return soon – consider using elastic stockings, especially for flying, to prevent this type of medical condition

I break out in a cold sweat when I think of what might have happened ..and the tears flow
I could be bringing him home in a box right now but I guess it was not his time to go to that happy hunting ground in the sky!

The rucksacks remain thrown in the hall ...still packed with our Camino stuff...haven't touched them!

Annette

Annette: the walk, the refusal to go to hospital, the cup of tea! (everything slow motion).

I'm so glad that this delaying of the necessary medical attention did not end in disaster!

It has always been a mystery to me that some people (men, mostly, but not always) are so reluctant to get checked when their health takes a turn.

And yes, the Camino is still there, red poppies, coffee, and delicious food and friendly people--waiting for your return!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Today, we should be heading for Carrion de Los condes....So where are we? Back in London!Will we try again.......might be a while ...but I think we will
Annette - we are so sorry to hear this.
HOWEVER: you are not the first and won't be the last to have to abandon a pilgrimage. It happened to me twice - once due to severe blisters, once due to snow on the southern hills. But I've managed to complete the journey four times!
The very fact that you say "Will we try again.....?" proves that - like so many of us - you have 'caught the camino bug' and will be able to go again, and this time, succeed.
Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.
Blessings from this old man in East Anglia ....

So where are we?
Back in London!

The plan......

Dash to hospital..

Annette
Chilling! I'm sure that information from the doctors is being taken on board. Get a whistle and a loudhailer and put signs up around the house. You are hereby appointed head of The Department Of Non-Denial.

Good Gracious! What a story! Flying often aggravates existing situations - next time take a boat! Not a comfort but the Camino has been here for over a thousand years, the albergues still will be open in six months, the churches functioning next year, the scenery unchanged next decade, and the joy undimished next generation. It will happen!
Its was not his time. God works in mysterios way

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Terrible news, but I am glad that you made it home! I hope your husband will recover fully.
Not a comfort but the Camino has been here for over a thousand years, the albergues still will be open in six months, the churches functioning next year, the scenery unchanged next decade, and the joy undimished next generation. It will happen!
Take care both of you!

I took a pebble to The Cruz de Fargo today for u. Get good

A selection of Camino Jewellery
So where are we?
Back in London!

The plan......

Dash to hospital..

Annette
When my wife and I first walked the del Norte three years ago we were setting out from Irun on our first day. An old fellow remarked as we walked past..."poco poco". Those words have remained with us since that very first day (in the interim we have completed four Caminos). Time will heal your husband and I am certain that you will be on the Camino soon enough. In the meantime speedy recovery to your husband and don't give up your dream. Buen Camino!

So where are we?
Back in London!

The plan......

Dash to hospital..

Annette
Thank you all.
Each and every one of you..
For your caring,kind and helpful responses

Indeed,we are overwhelmed with your wonderful words.

And yes,this is what this forum is all about..isn't it?

Empathy,thoughtfulness and practical help for those who need it.....old timers and newbies alike.

Indeed I feel privileged to be a small part of this wonderful community of like minded people

"Himself" is doing fine and we are back walking (slowly) a few miles every day now

As we've walked most of the "popular" Caminos, we are looking into the San Salvador for next year

I sign on to the forum every day....actually that's not true.....am a bit embarrassed to say it......about 10 times a day....

Well you can't keep a Camino addict down..can you!

Which reminds me.....
The rucksacks are still lying in the hall
I'd better go and unpack them soon

On the other hand......

Maybe I'll just leave them a while longer!

God bless you all on your journey...wherever you are right now
Best wishes
Annette ...and "himself"

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
ANNETTE: A wild story! Thinking St James got you home safely whether it was 10k or 800k.
My wife got DVT in a Botswana safari camp after 2 long flights, 2 short flights, and then got sick ( & dehydrated) ... a bad circulation combo. We discovered she had a blood gene from both her mother and father that contribute to clotting. Fortunately, this is neutralized by Folic Acid (B vit). However, she is on blood thinner, probably for life. We came home, she started with a walker, then cane, only 100 meters, then 400 meters no cane, then much more .... Did 200k of the Camino in Sept '15. We return this 29 Sept in Leon for more!
Hope to hear of you both on the Camino someday ...

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
ANNETTE: A wild story! Thinking St James got you home safely whether it was 10k or 800k.
My wife got DVT in a Botswana safari camp after 2 long flights, 2 short flights, and then got sick ( & dehydrated) ... a bad circulation combo. We discovered she had a blood gene from both her mother and father that contribute to clotting. Fortunately, this is neutralized by Folic Acid (B vit). However, she is on blood thinner, probably for life. We came home, she started with a walker, then cane, only 100 meters, then 400 meters no cane, then much more .... Did 200k of the Camino in Sept '15. We return this 29 Sept in Leon for more!
Hope to hear of you both on the Camino someday ...
Hi Cayou,
Thank you...you are right,
We did have a close shave
Either St James or the luck of the Irish!

"Himself" was sorted out in the hospital and home within 6 days ....they're keeping good tags on him!
We're back walking a few miles every day, and so far,so good

Thank God that things worked out for you both as you were such a long way from home.
What a trooper your wife is and what an achievement ....more power to you both!
Yes we will get back to the Camino soon ....the bags are still unpacked after 2 weeks ... I haven't had the heart to sort them out yet!
Best wishes to you both
Annette

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So where are we?
Back in London!

The plan......

Dash to hospital..

Annette
So where are we?
Back in London!

The plan......

Dash to hospital..

Annette

No matter what other replies you get here......Your Camino Angels were definitely out there in force, looking out for you and, making sure that you both got back home safely and making sure that treatment was there, available for you......many, many blessings and prayers that you will soon be back on the Camino and that you will be able to complete your journey without further incident. Sending gentle hugs.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.