• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Our Camino Portuguese

Jay_Walker

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Portuguese July 2022
Hello,
We start our Camino June 10th. We're currently sitting in the Vancouver airport having cleared customs in about 10 minutes. Despite all the horror stories of long lineups we had no problems. Possibly because we're leaving midweek in the morning, and had a Nexus card.

We're staying in Porto for a few days and then heading up the coastal route then turning left to Rates on the Central route, then up to Valenca taking a train to Caminha and then continuing up the coastal route and the Espiritual route.

After months of planning and training I can't believe we're actually starting.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello,
We start our Camino June 10th. We're currently sitting in the Vancouver airport having cleared customs in about 10 minutes. Despite all the horror stories of long lineups we had no problems. Possibly because we're leaving midweek in the morning, and had a Nexus card.

We're staying in Porto for a few days and then heading up the coastal route then turning left to Rates on the Central route, then up to Valenca taking a train to Caminha and then continuing up the coastal route and the Espiritual route.

Are you intending to stay at Casa da Fernanda between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima ?
the best albergue on the caminho Português

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Are you intending to stay at Casa da Fernanda between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima ?
the best albergue on the caminho Português
Hola Albertinho: Do you know if Casa da Fernanda has private rooms for a couple? you make me want to stay there, you always say its the best place to stay. I was planning on doing the Coastal but since I keep seeing your recommendations, I think we will deviate to the central route to stay there, if we can find a room for us. We start walking in September.

Hello,

This sounds awesome. We are leaving end of August and you just opened my eyes to changing my route. We were going to do the coastal to the variante espiritual, but wanted to experience the Casa Da Fernanda, so I am changing my route to go to the Central and now that I see your post, I am changing my route to follow your steps to Valenca and taking transportation to Caminha. I am also booking private rms. Thx for the info.

Have a wonderful time, Jay! I walked via the Variante Espiritual last week with my family and another family (four children in total, aged 10-13) and we all loved it. We had a lovely coffee stop at the Hotel Campaniola at Cabaleiro. The walk from Combarro up and Armenteira was gorgeous, especially from the mirador. The Ruta da Pedra e da Auga is as tranquil and beautiful as everyone says it is. We were treated royally at the bar O Chiringo de Concha - we only ordered drinks but the food kept coming! Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Jay,

Thank you so much; we're eagerly reading your information as we also come from Vancouver to do the coastal!
Thank you thank you thank you for every tip!

Ultreia!

Hi Jay,

Thank you so much; we're eagerly reading your information as we also come from Vancouver to do the coastal!

Ul

Hi Jay,

Ultreia!
You are welcome. We flew Air Canada from Vancouver to Lisbon via Toronto. We were delayed 1.5 hrs leaving Toronto and when we arrived in Lisbon spent 1 hour on the tarmac waiting for a gate. Once we disembarked there was a 2.5 hr line up to clear customs. I'm not sure why, once we reached a customs officer we were quickly waived through without seeing our Covid certificate or negative test result. Anyway, we had a pleasant evening in Lisbon and head to Porto tomorrow where we will spend a few days before starting our Camino. Weather looks to be hot and sunny. You can check Flight Aware's website to see historical information on departure times for your prospective flights and plan your connections accordingly. We had a 2.5 hr stop over in TO which was more than adequate as we did not need to clear security again in TO and we had no checked bags. Best, J.

Thank you so much fellow Vancouverite for the great tips!
I'll be following your journey! We walk in September.
I wish for the best and most wonderful camino experience for you!

Ultreia!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You are welcome. We flew Air Canada from Vancouver to Lisbon via Toronto. We were delayed 1.5 hrs leaving Toronto and when we arrived in Lisbon spent 1 hour on the tarmac waiting for a gate. Once we disembarked there was a 2.5 hr line up to clear customs. I'm not sure why, once we reached a customs officer we were quickly waived through without seeing our Covid certificate or negative test result. Anyway, we had a pleasant evening in Lisbon and head to Porto tomorrow where we will spend a few days before starting our Camino. Weather looks to be hot and sunny. You can check Flight Aware's website to see historical information on departure times for your prospective flights and plan your connections accordingly. We had a 2.5 hr stop over in TO which was more than adequate as we did not need to clear security again in TO and we had no checked bags. Best, J.
Hi Jay, I am planning the same route for early September, would love to hear your experiences and planning on your return, as we are from your neck of the woods............Michael

Hola Albertinho: Do you know if Casa da Fernanda has private rooms for a couple? you make me want to stay there, you always say its the best place to stay. I was planning on doing the Coastal but since I keep seeing your recommendations, I think we will deviate to the central route to stay there, if we can find a room for us. We start walking in September.
Yes they have 2 privat rooms with shared bathroom for both rooms .

Now in Porto for a few days before starting our Camino on Monday. There is apparently a train strike but we were not delayed at all on our trip from Lisbon. Booked our tickets through cp.pt. Got our credential today at the Se Cathedral and saw the yellow arrows which we followed for a time through the narrow streets and alleys. Porto is a lovely city and the people are very friendly.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We bought walking poles today at Decathlon, as we did not want any checked bags on our flight. 10 euros for a pair seemed very reasonable. We also bought Vodaphone sim cards for 10 euros each with 5 GB data good for 30 days. We were told they will work in Spain as well. Using Camino Ninja app and Maps .me. Did a walking tour of Porto today and sampled some Port.

Anyone know where we can get a Camino shell in Porto or along the way? We have not found any so far.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We bought walking poles today at Decathlon, as we did not want any checked bags on our flight. 10 euros for a pair seemed very reasonable. We also bought Vodaphone sim cards for 10 euros each with 5 GB data good for 30 days. We were told they will work in Spain as well. Using Camino Ninja app and Maps .me. Did a walking tour of Porto today and sampled some Port.
Sooooo useful, thank you! Please don't forget to enjoy the camino too!!! You're finally doing it!!!! :D

Awesome, can't wait to follow your Camino! Bom Camino!!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Anyone know where we can get a Camino shell in Porto or along the way? We have not found any so far.
I have never have seen Caminho shells in Portugal others than on fishmarkets
The caminho Português among most of the Portuguese is not very popular for some reasons.
The first shells I saw for sale was nearby the albergue of Moss on the way to o Porriño from Tui. Maybe in Tui in the tourist info or some shops

So today we decided to walk the Camino route out to the coast along the Duoro river and spend some time at the beach. We ended up going all the way to Matosinhos and returning to Porto on the Metro for one last night. Therefore we shortened our first stage to Labruge by 10km to 14km. Kind of strange I know but it is our Camino as they say. The walk to Foz Do Duoro was very pleasant and the walk onward to Matosinhos was also nice but more developed. The weather was very warm (27 C) in Porto so the ocean breeze was welcome. Tomorrow we will take the Metro to Matosinhos to continue our Camino. We saw only two other pilgrims today. Food at grocery stores was quite reasonable, 2-3 euros for brie and procuetto on a baggette. Lots of bars along the beach. There was a homeless man who had a side hustle of helping tourists navigate the Metro ticket dispenser in Matosinhos. Best to have some spare change for such occasions and public washrooms where there may be an attendant.

The caminho Português among most of the Portuguese is not very popular for some reasons.
The first shells I saw for sale was nearby the albergue of Moss on the way to o Porriño from Tui. Maybe in Tui in the tourist info or some shops
Thanks, we will forego the shells. We saw two people today but it was not obvious they were pilgrims until we saw a guidebook in hand. Shells are lighter but not essential I suppose. Perhaps a pair of socks drying on the backpack will be just as effective.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Beautiful walk along the coast today. I was glad for a shorter stage today (14km), as it was 27C and no shade to be had anywhere. Most bars are closed here on Mondays but we did find a grocery store where we bought bread, cheese and cold cuts, fruit & orange juice. We are staying at Casa da Praia Guest House in a double room with shared bath. Very clean, and newly renovated. they have a pilgrims meal for 15 euro and a stamp for our credential. Breakfast included and you can take what you want with you if leaving early. One surprise was they only accept cash even though the booking was guaranteed by credit card on Booking.com. Not s problem as we had some cash. Had lunch on the beach, water was very cold Saw about 15 pilgrims, some headed the opposite direction (from SdC?).

Day 3 - Labruge to Arcos. The morning walk along the ocean was foggy with a fine mist. It was a welcome respite from yesterday's heat. Most people we spoke to we're staying in Vila do Conde which is where we had lunch. This is a lovely old city with an aquaduct and fine churches. At this point we went inland towards the Central route. We used Maps.me with tracks downloaded per instructions elsewhere in this site There are two routes, one heading north by the aquaduct and the river route which ends near Arcos. We are staying in Arcos and so we took the river route which went through some suburban areas and laneways. We had to walk along the road in a couple of places but not for long and only once in heavy traffic for perhaps 200 meters. We noted yellow and red markers which deviated from the Maps.me route and since they ventured into quiet laneways for the last few km's, that is what we followed. I used Google maps as well to find our hotel at the end. The last two km's we're along quiet farm roads and was quite beautiful. Total distance was 24km over 7 hours with stops in Vila do Conde and lunch in a small park, arriving at 2pm at our guest house. Most people seem to stay in VdC and travel to Rates. There do not seem to be a lot of restaurants around us but fortunately our host provides dinner for 20 euro pp. Saw fewer pilgrims today but expect to see more in Barcelos tomorrow.

I found some very nice hand crafted shells in this store in Porto. Very close to the Cathedral:

Casa Coração de Jesus
R. de Mouzinho da Silveira 304, 4000-069 Porto, Portugal
https://goo.gl/maps/mrWUfZBekGSV4w2z6

Best
Andy

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I found some very nice hand crafted shells in this store in Porto. Very close to the Cathedral:

Casa Coração de Jesus
R. de Mouzinho da Silveira 304, 4000-069 Porto, Portugal
https://goo.gl/maps/mrWUfZBekGSV4w2z6

Best
Andy
Oh my goodness what a great tip!!! My mom -who is religious- asked me for a Santiago image to carry with me in my journey and bring it back to her. Now I have one less thing to search for in O Porto! Thank you so much!

Day 4 already. Arcos to Barcelos 21km. It is 27C and overcast. I wonder what it will be if the sun comes out? Some roads, some streets, some dirt through farmland and small villages. We took an alternate route from Pedra Furada to Calvalha that was not in our apps. It was explained on a large sign and took us off the busy road to another where we saw only a few cars and some cyclists. It climbed 200m to a church with rest stop and beautiful views where we ate our takeout breakfast supplied at the last guest house. So far we have always been offered a takeaway snack in Portugal if we are leaving early and miss breakfast. We saw 7 other pilgrims today (8 if you count the baby that one was carrying). One disadvantage of staying in private rooms is laundry. The sinks are tiny and sometimes there is no plug. There may be nowhere to dry clothes. I have a small clothesline with me that I will use tonight. Feet are sore but spirits are high. Bom Camino.

Day 4 already. Arcos to Barcelos 21km. It is 27C and overcast. I wonder what it will be if the sun comes out? Some roads, some streets, some dirt through farmland and small villages. We took an alternate route from Pedra Furada to Calvalha that was not in our apps. It was explained on a large sign and took us off the busy road to another where we saw only a few cars and some cyclists. It climbed 200m to a church with rest stop and beautiful views where we ate our takeout breakfast supplied at the last guest house. So far we have always been offered a takeaway snack in Portugal if we are leaving early and miss breakfast. We saw 7 other pilgrims today (8 if you count the baby that one was carrying). One disadvantage of staying in private rooms is laundry. The sinks are tiny and sometimes there is no plug. There may be nowhere to dry clothes. I have a small clothesline with me that I will use tonight. Feet are sore but spirits are high. Bom Camino.
Thanks so much for letting us know about the wonderful detour and laundry situation! This is so useful for us because we're staying in private rooms as well.

Ultreia !

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
It looks like a good alternative to walk to Carvalhas from São Pedro de Rates

was the detour from Pedra Furada ? Or earlier south ?

Day 5 Barcelos to Ponte de Lima, this stage is the most beautiful so far with barely any road walking. Ponte de Lima is not to be missed and our hotel was beautiful and very reasonable at 40 euros. It was very busy for Corpus Christi and the town was very lively.

Day 6 Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes, another nice stage of walking with a good climb of 400 or so meters. Water at the top but limited services along the way, bring some groceries for a picnic at the top. Our hotel, Residecial Ropousode Peregrino was a bit tired and being a short day we could have gone further for something nicer. There is not much to do in the area, the hotel provided a ride to a local restaurant as did others.

Day 7, Rubiaes to Tui, we made the right choice by staying in Tui. The old city is lovely and the Way brings you through the nicest part of Valenca on the Portuguese side.

Day 8, Tui to A Guarda. We returned to the coast today to pick up the coastal route. We walked back to the Valenca train station, hopped on a train and arrived in Caminha 30 minutes later. The train leaves every 1-2 hours and you buy your ticket on board for 6 euros pp. We didn't spend much time in Caminha, A Guarda is the nicer town. The regular ferry does not run this year but you go to the bar at the same place and buy a ticket (6 euros pp) for a small boat that takes 7 people every hour or so. It is a single engine open boat but perfectly safe for the 5 minute journey. A Guarda is another beautiful town, get there early to walk around and eat. Highly recommend Hotel Monumental, which is a former convent in the old city

Day 5 Barcelos to Ponte de Lima, this stage is the most beautiful so far with barely any road walking. Ponte de Lima is not to be missed and our hotel was beautiful and very reasonable at 40 euros. It was very busy for Corpus Christi and the town was very lively.

Day 6 Ponte de Lima to Rubiaes, another nice stage of walking with a good climb of 400 or so meters. Water at the top but limited services along the way, bring some groceries for a picnic at the top. Our hotel, Residecial Ropousode Peregrino was a bit tired and being a short day we could have gone further for something nicer. There is not much to do in the area, the hotel provided a ride to a local restaurant as did others.

Day 7, Rubiaes to Tui, we made the right choice by staying in Tui. The old city is lovely and the Way brings you through the nicest part of Valenca on the Portuguese side.

Day 8, Tui to A Guarda. We returned to the coast today to pick up the coastal route. We walked back to the Valenca train station, hopped on a train and arrived in Caminha 30 minutes later. The train leaves every 1-2 hours and you buy your ticket on board for 6 euros pp. We didn't spend much time in Caminha, A Guarda is the nicer town. The regular ferry does not run this year but you go to the bar at the same place and buy a ticket (6 euros pp) for a small boat that takes 7 people every hour or so. It is a single engine open boat but perfectly safe for the 5 minute journey. A Guarda is another beautiful town, get there early to walk around and eat. Highly recommend Hotel Monumental, which is a former convent in the old city
Thanks for the post, I see that you are enjoying your camino. Seems like time is flying for you guys, you already have been there for 8 days walking. Did you stay at the Hotel Monumento Convento de San Benito in A Guarda? this is where we reserved, we are following your itinerary. Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thanks for the post, I see that you are enjoying your camino. Seems like time is flying for you guys, you already have been there for 8 days walking. Did you stay at the Hotel Monumento Convento de San Benito in A Guarda? this is where we reserved, we are following your itinerary. Buen Camino!Yes, Hotel Monumental is awesome

Thanks for the post, I see that you are enjoying your camino. Seems like time is flying for you guys, you already have been there for 8 days walking. Did you stay at the Hotel Monumento Convento de San Benito in A Guarda? this is where we reserved, we are following your itinerary. Buen Camino!
Yes, that is where we are tonight. You will love it.

Did you stay at the Parador in Tui? We have stayed in Paradors in past caminos, and loved them. No vacancy for us this time. I was planning to stay at Valenca, now that I see your post, it makes more sense to stay in Tui. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Did you stay at the Parador in Tui? We have stayed in Paradors in past caminos, and loved them. No vacancy for us this time. I was planning to stay at Valenca, now that I see your post, it makes more sense to stay in Tui. Thanks for sharing your experiences.
No, we stayed at Ideas Peregrinos Albergue. Nice place except for disco nearby til 3pm and no air con. We really liked their seating area outside where we had wine, olives, bread and sardines bought at local supermarket for less than 8 euros. Tui is nice though.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I see, we will get there on a Saturday night also, so that one won't work. I am taking notes from your experiences, we also like going to the markets and having our wine, and snacks rdy and available at all times :) Sounds like you are having a wonderful camino! Have fun!

Day 9 - A Guarda to Viladesuso. A small town with only one grocery store with limited selection. We are at the Hotel Costa Verde which is ok but over priced compared to the Hotel Monumento. Better to try the Hotel Glasgow or perhaps carry on to Baiona. Nice walking today - a km or two of road walking but a very wide shoulder and little traffic. A lot of restaurants closed on Monday and the rest not open until 8. We bought a bottle of wine and sat on the small beach to pass the time. A cork screw would have been a wise investment but we found a bottle with screw top. 2 euro wine here is better than $20 bottles in Canada.

Day 10 - Viladesuso to A Ramalla 22km. A good walk with some hills. The route through the pretty town of Baiona bypasses the waterfront. Instead of following the way, head down to the waterfront for lunch, cafe or visit one of the grocery stores. There are benches along the promenade with a small beach at each end.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So we are in Vigo leaving tomorrow for Redondela. We are in the old town near the port. Gronze shows a route inland up Rua Urzaiz while the other (Camino Ninja) shows a route which stays closer to the coast. I think they merge about 5km outside of Vigo near Parada . Anyone have an idea which would be better?

So we are in Vigo leaving tomorrow for Redondela. We are in the old town near the port. Gronze shows a route inland up Rua Urzaiz while the other (Camino Ninja) shows a route which stays closer to the coast. I think they merge about 5km outside of Vigo near Parada . Anyone have an idea which would be better?
Are you guys ok? Have not seen you in a couple of days, hope you are having a lot of fun and not able to post. Buen Camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Are you guys ok? Have not seen you in a couple of days, hope you are having a lot of fun and not able to post. Buen Camino
Yes, all good but rumour has it that a fellow pilgrim has tested positive for Covid. Seems to be a mild case, so hopefully all good.

Day 11 Vigo to Pontevedra. A lot of pilgrims start in Vigo for the last 100km, so lots of activity. We look the litoral route out of Vigo. Not particularly interesting but not terrible either. We spent two nights in Pontevedra at the Casa Maruja which we likened to a prison with no windows. Pontevedra is a nice town with lots of bars, restaurants and interesting old town.

Day 12 - Pontevedra to Armenteira. 21km. 1st day of the espiritual route and was a very nice walk with a steep climb of 700m. Could be difficult in the heat. Limited facilities along the way. Stayed at the Pousada Armenteira, which was lovely. Nice Monestery - attended vespers which was interesting.

Day 13 - Armenteira to Vila de Arousa. 25km, 1st part gorgeous along the river, second part some road walking. Road into VdA goes down to beach and then into town. You could cut off a few km's by going diagonally into town. Surprisingly quiet for a big town. We had prebooked our boat at www.bahiasub.com. Went into the office today to confirm and all is in order. You can check departure times on their website for your particular days to plan accordingly. Ours leaves at 7am arriving at 8:20 for the 29km walk into SdC. There is apparently a Monestery just before Padron where some people are staying. Last day tomorrow. Hope our feet hold out. Hotel Bradonin is nice. Let me know if any questions.

Yes, all good but rumour has it that a fellow pilgrim has tested positive for Covid. Seems to be a mild case, so hopefully all good.

Day 11 Vigo to Pontevedra. A lot of pilgrims start in Vigo for the last 100km, so lots of activity. We look the litoral route out of Vigo. Not particularly interesting but not terrible either. We spent two nights in Pontevedra at the Casa Maruja which we likened to a prison with no windows. Pontevedra is a nice town with lots of bars, restaurants and interesting old town.

Day 12 - Pontevedra to Armenteira. 21km. 1st day of the espiritual route and was a very nice walk with a steep climb of 700m. Could be difficult in the heat. Limited facilities along the way. Stayed at the Pousada Armenteira, which was lovely. Nice Monestery - attended vespers which was interesting.

Day 13 - Armenteira to Vila de Arousa. 25km, 1st part gorgeous along the river, second part some road walking. Road into VdA goes down to beach and then into town. You could cut off a few km's by going diagonally into town. Surprisingly quiet for a big town. We had prebooked our boat at www.bahiasub.com. Went into the office today to confirm and all is in order. You can check departure times on their website for your particular days to plan accordingly. Ours leaves at 7am arriving at 8:20 for the 29km walk into SdC. There is apparently a Monestery just before Padron where some people are staying. Last day tomorrow. Hope our feet hold out. Hotel Bradonin is nice. Let me know if any questions.
WOW you are almost there! So exciting for you, enjoyed reading the report. Hope you guys are doing well and no interaction with the COVID. Looking forward to more from your journey!!!

I walked both, and the one closer to the coast is the nice route :)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Day 14 - We arrived in SdC after 29 km of walking. Fortunately it was not too hot, although we saw a girl who looked exhausted or dehydrated a few km from the end. We took our time making several stops including dinner around 2pm. The last 10km are uphill but the appearance of the cathedral carries you through. We plunked down in the square in front of the cathedral exhausted and elated with all the other pilgrims wondering at what we had just done. Never in my life did I imagine walking 20 km per day for 2 weeks, through rain and sun, beside highways and through forests with the company of like minded travellers. It will take time to process. We attended the pilgrims mass and witnessed the botafumeiro. Go to the cathedral a few hours early to see if pews are reserved - this is a good indicator that the bf will swing. Walk in 45-60 minutes early to get a good seat in the side pews and wait. Also recommend the pilgrims museum and one of the free (by donation) walking tours to get additional perspective. Let me know if you have any questions. Bueno Camino.

Day 14 - We arrived in SdC after 29 km of walking. Fortunately it was not too hot, although we saw a girl who looked exhausted or dehydrated a few km from the end. We took our time making several stops including dinner around 2pm. The last 10km are uphill but the appearance of the cathedral carries you through. We plunked down in the square in front of the cathedral exhausted and elated with all the other pilgrims wondering at what we had just done. Never in my life did I imagine walking 20 km per day for 2 weeks, through rain and sun, beside highways and through forests with the company of like minded travellers. It will take time to process. We attended the pilgrims mass and witnessed the botafumeiro. Go to the cathedral a few hours early to see if pews are reserved - this is a good indicator that the bf will swing. Walk in 45-60 minutes early to get a good seat in the side pews and wait. Also recommend the pilgrims museum and one of the free (by donation) walking tours to get additional perspective. Let me know if you have any questions. Bueno Camino.
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your camino.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Try the tourist office. They sell them in Ponte de Lima.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back