• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Our Camino story - Plus, How do I get from San Sebastian to SJPDP

Alex*Quake

Time of past OR future Camino
{Sep-Oct 2019/SJPDP-Finisterre}
Ok...so its on like donkey kong!!!

We are a family of four travelling the Camino Frances in Spetember 2019. Hubby and I are taking our 14 year old son and our 15 year old daughter along for the ride so its going to be a doozey!

Some background on us:
We are a typical aussie family, living in the nations capital, Canberra, but Im spanish born and have wanted to do the Camino all my life..but life is what got in the way, school, Uni, marriage, kids, a mortgage, work...you name it, there was always something that stopped us.

15 years ago my parents returned to Spain and while we have travelled to visit them regularly, we never got the chance to explore a Camino detour (my parents live near Villaviciosa on the Camino del Norte route - so we came across many pilgrims in town on our trips which only added to the regret when we returned)

3 yeasr ago my dad was diagnosed with dementia and the decision was made to go over and visit before he forgot us, and while there, complete the Camino ..all the way to Finisterra. So thats what we are doing.

We are yet to book our first night in SJPDP, everything seems closed at the moment, but have booked our first night in Roncesvalles (with dinner and breakky so I dont have to think too hard) and then after that, we are going to wing it....(my inner control freak is having a heart attack, but the Camino will take care of me Im sure)

We have booked a night in San Sebastian as well so we can enjoy the area..so my question is how do I get from San Seb to SJPDP, or do I have to go through Bayonne? Bearing in mind that we are four adults (kids are classed as adults for Alsa and RENFE) with packs which might be costly, would it be better to:

10 book an Alsa/train ..but to where? is there one direct to SJPDP or do we need to go to Bayonnne and then transfer over?

2) book a private transfer to take us to SJPDP, and if so any suggestions for which comapnies to contact and how much it might cost?

or

3) organise a one way rental car to get us from San Seb to Bayonne or San Seb to SJPDP? again any suggestions for companies would be fab!

Any other advice you might have, particlularly for travelling with teenagers who will NOT be bringing electronic - God help me! - would be usefull ...and yes the drink lots of vino and ignore them is on our must do list

cheers
Alex (crazy mother bringing along 2 teens on the camino - St James aint got nothing on me!)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
For help with various transport routes/costs/times betwen San Sebastian and Saint Jean Pied de Port check out www.Rome2Rio.com.

Happy planning and Buen camino to you and your family.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

We are a family of four travelling the Camino Frances in Spetember 2019. Hubby and I are taking our 14 year old son and our 15 year old daughter along for the ride so its going to be a doozey!

Some background on us:
We are a typical aussie family, living in the nations capital, Canberra, but Im spanish born and have wanted to do the Camino all my life..but life is what got in the way, school, Uni, marriage, kids, a mortgage, work...you name it, there was always something that stopped us.

15 years ago my parents returned to Spain and while we have travelled to visit them regularly, we never got the chance to explore a Camino detour (my parents live near Villaviciosa on the Camino del Norte route - so we came across many pilgrims in town on our trips which only added to the regret when we returned)

3 yeasr ago my dad was diagnosed with dementia and the decision was made to go over and visit before he forgot us, and while there, complete the Camino ..all the way to Finisterra. So thats what we are doing.

We are yet to book our first night in SJPDP, everything seems closed at the moment, but have booked our first night in Roncesvalles (with dinner and breakky so I dont have to think too hard) and then after that, we are going to wing it....(my inner control freak is having a heart attack, but the Camino will take care of me Im sure)

We have booked a night in San Sebastian as well so we can enjoy the area..so my question is how do I get from San Seb to SJPDP, or do I have to go through Bayonne? Bearing in mind that we are four adults (kids are classed as adults for Alsa and RENFE) with packs which might be costly, would it be better to:

10 book an Alsa/train ..but to where? is there one direct to SJPDP or do we need to go to Bayonnne and then transfer over?

2) book a private transfer to take us to SJPDP, and if so any suggestions for which comapnies to contact and how much it might cost?

or

3) organise a one way rental car to get us from San Seb to Bayonne or San Seb to SJPDP? again any suggestions for companies would be fab!

Any other advice you might have, particlularly for travelling with teenagers who will NOT be bringing electronic - God help me! - would be usefull ...and yes the drink lots of vino and ignore them is on our must do list

cheers
Alex (crazy mother bringing along 2 teens on the camino - St James aint got nothing on me!)

Express Bouricott MAY be an option, as it seems they provide passenger transport from Bilbao to SJPdP. You can contact them for information at
https://www.expressbourricot.com/persons-transport/
https://www.expressbourricot.com/contact-and-booking/

The company does a terrific job and is very reliable.

I would take the train, if only to experience the journey from Bayonne to Saint Jean Pied-de-Port, which is an experience in its own right.

(The only bus service from San Sebastian/Donostia to Bayonne is at 23:00 and would cost 200€!)

A Euskotren service will take you from Donostia (the Basque name for San Sebastian - everywhere in the Basque region has two names) to Hendaia (hourly service, takes 40 mins, fare currently 2.55€) where you change to a SNCF train to Bayonne, hourly service, takes 41-49 minutes, 7.50€ adults, 5.41€ for under 25s) and then the train (or bus if it's not running due to engineering works) to SJPdP. (Four daily. Check the SNCF site for times and fares.)

Have a good trip!

Some background on us:

or

cheers
Alex,

I don’t how set you are on your plans but you might consider San Sebastián while on your Camino. When we reached Pamplona on our walk we caught the bus to San Sebastián (about and hour and a half and spent some time there before busing back to Pamplona to continue our walk.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Alex,

I don’t how set you are on your plans but you might consider San Sebastián while on your Camino. When we reached Pamplona on our walk we caught the bus to San Sebastián (about and hour and a half and spent some time there before busing back to Pamplona to continue our walk.

Thanks Bill,
My parents live not far from San Seb so its easier to stay there the night before travelling to SJPDP. I will keep the side trip in mind though If I dont get the chance to do something in San Seb first time around.
Cheers
Alex

[Edit: The next post makes more sense but I'll leave what I wrote in case somebody finds it useful (like maybe they just flew into SS.)]

A connection I've seen is to bus to the SS airport in Hondarribia and walk/taxi across the river to Hendaye, France to take train to Bayonne and then the train to SJPdP.

With four of you, Robo's idea of taking a taxi may pay off though.

https://www.4umaps.com/topomaps/preview/27552597_Hondarribia_M.jpg

Last edited:
Last summer i took a train from San Sebastián to Bayonne (it is the Paris train) can’t remember the exact time, but it was late morning. It was from San Sebastián train station, not the other station that runs the Eusktren.
If you choose this option bear in mind that the train ticket doesn’t fit in the ticket barrier to allow you onto the platform to get your train. I couldn’t get through and when i asked to be let through i was told i had to go to the ticket desk and get another ticket to let me through the barrier (no cost). Of course there was a queue, and i almost missed my train.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Alex,

Just to say, my wife and I are planning to do the Frances in Sep / Oct this year...hope we bump into you...
Absolutely Patrick! we are keen to touch base with anyone starting the camino on or around 9 September. with two teens we are hoping to meet lotsof new people, expose our kids to the magic of global citizenship and share our stories with others.

If this forum has a private message function, please send me a private message and I will share my email adress with you and some of our travel details so you can get a sense of what our camino frances is likely to look like. Oh and this goes for anyone else who might be reading this :)

Cheers

Unhelpful for your planning probably, but in 2017 (after missing my flight from Madrid to Bayonne, I caught the next best option and flew to San Sebastian. Because I had to meet up with folks in SJPdP at a certain time I had no option but taxi from SS to SJPdP. It was a nice but $$ ride. Oddly, the Cabbie was a young Spanish man who'd never heard of the Camino - I'm still not sure I believe that - but we had a good conversation in my limited Spanish.

All this to say TAXI is the easiest but likely the most expensive way. However for four people you may find it not too much different than 4 train tickets and transport from Bayonne.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back