• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Our fellow travellers ...

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I often wonder about the bag transfer companies, lots of bags in close contact in the back of a van

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Great. More posts on bedbugs! Tell me before I step on that plane, is it worth spraying my rucsac?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The baggage transfer services are a source of concern.
We sprayed our luggage with Permethrin before the Frances in May 2017 (and again in June when we returned to walk the stages we failed to cycle in May...technical troubles ; don't ask). On returning home, we carried out the somewhat obsessive routine of dumping everything in the garage before carefully bringing anything into the house ; we had no infestation.
Via de la Plata in less than 3 weeks time ; no bag transfers and not using albergues so perhaps less risk. I must check the level in the spray...

The baggage transfer services are a source of concern.
We sprayed our luggage with Permethrin before the Frances in May 2017 (and again in June when we returned to walk the stages we failed to cycle in May...technical troubles ; don't ask). On returning home, we carried out the somewhat obsessive routine of dumping everything in the garage before carefully bringing anything into the house ; we had no infestation.
Via de la Plata in less than 3 weeks time ; no bag transfers and not using albergues so perhaps less risk. I must check the level in the spray...
I have all this no thought on my last 2 caminos. Didn't luggage transfer. But I'm going to get some spray tomorrow. Thanks.

We just sprayed our bags, sleeping bags and liners with Permethrin, It's supposed to last for about 6 weeks (or 8 washes). A few years back, when we were in Andalucia and Morocco, I was bitten. Not pleasant. I'm also carrying a small can of DEET for mosquitoes. My wife is lucky, she never gets bitten. Me? Since I quit smoking 14 years ago, I've become a magnet for all small parasitic creatures.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We just sprayed our bags, sleeping bags and liners with Permethrin, It's supposed to last for about 6 weeks (or 8 washes). A few years back, when we were in Andalucia and Morocco, I was bitten. Not pleasant. I'm also carrying a small can of DEET for mosquitoes. My wife is lucky, she never gets bitten. Me? Since I quit smoking 14 years ago, I've become a magnet for all small parasitic creatures.
FYI. EWG.org says this: When infused into clothing, permethrin can deter mosquitos from landing and prevent bites by Aedes aegypti. However, CDC officials said that recent tests in Puerto Rico indicated that permethrin “probably isn’t effective” in the current pandemic, so they dropped a plan to distribute permethrin-treated clothing. The chemical’s effectiveness declines after washing. If you want to try it, buy clothing pre-treated at the factory. Don’t treat your own clothing with liquid permethrin.

FYI. EWG.org says this: When infused into clothing, permethrin can deter mosquitos from landing and prevent bites by Aedes aegypti. However, CDC officials said that recent tests in Puerto Rico indicated that permethrin “probably isn’t effective” in the current pandemic, so they dropped a plan to distribute permethrin-treated clothing. The chemical’s effectiveness declines after washing. If you want to try it, buy clothing pre-treated at the factory. Don’t treat your own clothing with liquid permethrin.

This is good advice. It's probably not a good idea to treat clothes with permethrin as the chemical's efficacy diminishes after repeated washing. (Just the pack and sleeping bags, liners, ect., should suffice)

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.