• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Our fellow travellers ...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I often wonder about the bag transfer companies, lots of bags in close contact in the back of a van

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Great. More posts on bedbugs! Tell me before I step on that plane, is it worth spraying my rucsac?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
The baggage transfer services are a source of concern.
We sprayed our luggage with Permethrin before the Frances in May 2017 (and again in June when we returned to walk the stages we failed to cycle in May...technical troubles ; don't ask). On returning home, we carried out the somewhat obsessive routine of dumping everything in the garage before carefully bringing anything into the house ; we had no infestation.
Via de la Plata in less than 3 weeks time ; no bag transfers and not using albergues so perhaps less risk. I must check the level in the spray...

The baggage transfer services are a source of concern.
We sprayed our luggage with Permethrin before the Frances in May 2017 (and again in June when we returned to walk the stages we failed to cycle in May...technical troubles ; don't ask). On returning home, we carried out the somewhat obsessive routine of dumping everything in the garage before carefully bringing anything into the house ; we had no infestation.
Via de la Plata in less than 3 weeks time ; no bag transfers and not using albergues so perhaps less risk. I must check the level in the spray...
I have all this no thought on my last 2 caminos. Didn't luggage transfer. But I'm going to get some spray tomorrow. Thanks.

We just sprayed our bags, sleeping bags and liners with Permethrin, It's supposed to last for about 6 weeks (or 8 washes). A few years back, when we were in Andalucia and Morocco, I was bitten. Not pleasant. I'm also carrying a small can of DEET for mosquitoes. My wife is lucky, she never gets bitten. Me? Since I quit smoking 14 years ago, I've become a magnet for all small parasitic creatures.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
We just sprayed our bags, sleeping bags and liners with Permethrin, It's supposed to last for about 6 weeks (or 8 washes). A few years back, when we were in Andalucia and Morocco, I was bitten. Not pleasant. I'm also carrying a small can of DEET for mosquitoes. My wife is lucky, she never gets bitten. Me? Since I quit smoking 14 years ago, I've become a magnet for all small parasitic creatures.
FYI. EWG.org says this: When infused into clothing, permethrin can deter mosquitos from landing and prevent bites by Aedes aegypti. However, CDC officials said that recent tests in Puerto Rico indicated that permethrin “probably isn’t effective” in the current pandemic, so they dropped a plan to distribute permethrin-treated clothing. The chemical’s effectiveness declines after washing. If you want to try it, buy clothing pre-treated at the factory. Don’t treat your own clothing with liquid permethrin.

FYI. EWG.org says this: When infused into clothing, permethrin can deter mosquitos from landing and prevent bites by Aedes aegypti. However, CDC officials said that recent tests in Puerto Rico indicated that permethrin “probably isn’t effective” in the current pandemic, so they dropped a plan to distribute permethrin-treated clothing. The chemical’s effectiveness declines after washing. If you want to try it, buy clothing pre-treated at the factory. Don’t treat your own clothing with liquid permethrin.

This is good advice. It's probably not a good idea to treat clothes with permethrin as the chemical's efficacy diminishes after repeated washing. (Just the pack and sleeping bags, liners, ect., should suffice)

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.