• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Our March 2015 Camino: A recap

rlang290

Time of past OR future Camino
March 2015
Hi Everyone,

Well, it's been almost a month since Michele and I arrived in SdC at the end of our Camino and we can't tell you how much we loved it!

We flew into Madrid (via Heathrow) and took the train into Leon. Other than a little hiccup in Heathrow (snowstorm in JFK that made lots of flights late) our transportation was very easy and relaxing. We arrived in the BEAUTIFUL city of Leon and stayed there for two days just exploring the City and getting used to the time difference. We decided to stay at the Parador de Leon because we're both crazy for old architecture and the fact that the Camino runs right in front of it. How easy is that?!

We started walking on March 5th (Michele's birthday) and arrived in SdC on March 19th. During that time we saw no rain whatsoever: Not even a drop! The sky was blue and free of clouds for the majority of our walk. Morning temps were 5 degrees Celsius or so and the warmest we saw was a sign saying 24 degrees! In March! We had packed for the season and were prepared to have to skip O' Cebriero because the climb may have been closed due to the weather. We were very happy to have had sunshine and warm weather during our ascent and descent.

During our Camino we stayed at a mix of municipal albergues, private albergues, hostals, pensions, and hotels. They were all great! Usually there were only a few pilgrims with us during our stay. Everyone that we met was very friendly and quick to help with advice and to share a story of their walk. The towns/hamlets that we stayed in were all so amazing. We speak a small amount of Spanish but had no problem getting our point across and receiving other peoples points in the restaurants and lodgings that we chose. Breakfast was something light with a cafe con leche, lunch was a bocadillo, and for dinner we usually ate the Pilgrims Menu. We were happy with the Pilgrims Menu in most of the restaurants we tried. Large salads, some sort of meat (usually loin), and vino tinto.

The trail was in great shape. I was surprised sometimes as to just where the trail goes. At one point the Camino goes down someones driveway between their house and garage. It felt like we were trespassing until we saw a booklet, a small area with a bench to rest, and some water in their garage. The water was for Pilgrims and the book was to sign in to say hello. Nice! Litter was minimal until we got closer to SdC. Honestly, I was disappointed with the amount of graffiti on the trail. I really dislike graffiti and seeing it makes me angry. "Bob, meet us in the square!" was written in black felt marker on someone's garage door. Really?? Had we seen someone doing this I would've forgotten about the sanctity of our Camino and probably throttled him.

Our arrival at SdC came too soon. We were lucky to have a bagpiper serenade us as we walked through the tunnel leading to Obradoiro Square. When we arrived in the square we were surprised to see TV cameras and reporters waiting for us! Do they interview all pilgrims? This was not expected! We started to primp ourselves in anticipation for our interview but as it turns out, Paulo Coelho was in the square and the cameras were for him. Oh well, I hadn't shaved for two weeks anyways so it was probably for the better.

SdC is an AMAZING city with lots to see and do. We spent three days there, attended the Pilgrims Mass twice (saw the Botofumiero Ceremony!), got to meet Nate from the Pilgrim House (great guy!), and popped in see Ivar but his office was closed. We really wanted to tell him how much we appreciated his efforts with this amazing forum.

Our trip home was fun too. We took the overnight train from SdC to Madrid and flew home through Stansted. Again, the flights and train were very easy and relaxing. We decided to get a private cabin on the train. We slept in fold out beds for most of the nine hour trip, showered in the morning, and arrived in Madrid ready to go. It was a great experience!

As we look back on it, we think about all the hours that went into planning and worrying, packing and repacking... we realized that, in the end, it's just as the veteran walkers say: "Try not to worry, the Camino will provide." Well, they're certainly correct.

A big "Thank You!" has to go out to the members of this forum who are so willing to answer questions from us newbies. I was watching 50 or so threads during the planning stages prior to our walk. I gleaned a ton of useful information from this site.

We met some amazing people, we gazed upon amazing vistas, and ate and drank some amazing food and wine. It really was a wonderful experience, we can't believe it's over.

Ron & Michele

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Great report thanks Ron and Michelle
Sitting in Dubai airport awaiting connection to Madrid then bus to Leon. Staying tonight at hostal Guzmann... Saw it recommended on this forum.
Very excited.

F

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very nice summary of your experience. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for sharing this with us. I am glad to hear about your experiences. I'm heading out in a couple of weeks so it's great to read your story now. I still have a lot more Canadian walks to do before I go through. Are you planning your next trek yet?

Thank you for sharing your journey. I am so excited. One month and 5 days until I leave the States for Madrid.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Our arrival at SdC came too soon. We were lucky to have a bagpiper serenade us as we walked through the tunnel leading to Obradoiro Square. When we arrived in the square we were surprised to see TV cameras and reporters waiting for us! Do they interview all pilgrims? This was not expected! We started to primp ourselves in anticipation for our interview but as it turns out, Paulo Coelho was in the square and the cameras were for him. Oh well, I hadn't shaved for two weeks anyways so it was probably for the better.

Hehehe. Didn't you know, Paulo Coelho heard you were coming so he was in the square to welcome you! :)

Thanks for the recap - seeing everything through your eyes was fun, inspirational, and entertaining! Congrats again, and hope the transition home has gone smoothly!
Faith

Hi Everyone,

Well, it's been almost a month since Michele and I arrived in SdC at the end of our Camino and we can't tell you how much we loved it!

We flew into Madrid (via Heathrow) and took the train into Leon. Other than a little hiccup in Heathrow (snowstorm in JFK that made lots of flights late) our transportation was very easy and relaxing. We arrived in the BEAUTIFUL city of Leon and stayed there for two days just exploring the City and getting used to the time difference. We decided to stay at the Parador de Leon because we're both crazy for old architecture and the fact that the Camino runs right in front of it. How easy is that?!

We started walking on March 5th (Michele's birthday) and arrived in SdC on March 19th. During that time we saw no rain whatsoever: Not even a drop! The sky was blue and free of clouds for the majority of our walk. Morning temps were 5 degrees Celsius or so and the warmest we saw was a sign saying 24 degrees! In March! We had packed for the season and were prepared to have to skip O' Cebriero because the climb may have been closed due to the weather. We were very happy to have had sunshine and warm weather during our ascent and descent.

During our Camino we stayed at a mix of municipal albergues, private albergues, hostals, pensions, and hotels. They were all great! Usually there were only a few pilgrims with us during our stay. Everyone that we met was very friendly and quick to help with advice and to share a story of their walk. The towns/hamlets that we stayed in were all so amazing. We speak a small amount of Spanish but had no problem getting our point across and receiving other peoples points in the restaurants and lodgings that we chose. Breakfast was something light with a cafe con leche, lunch was a bocadillo, and for dinner we usually ate the Pilgrims Menu. We were happy with the Pilgrims Menu in most of the restaurants we tried. Large salads, some sort of meat (usually loin), and vino tinto.

The trail was in great shape. I was surprised sometimes as to just where the trail goes. At one point the Camino goes down someones driveway between their house and garage. It felt like we were trespassing until we saw a booklet, a small area with a bench to rest, and some water in their garage. The water was for Pilgrims and the book was to sign in to say hello. Nice! Litter was minimal until we got closer to SdC. Honestly, I was disappointed with the amount of graffiti on the trail. I really dislike graffiti and seeing it makes me angry. "Bob, meet us in the square!" was written in black felt marker on someone's garage door. Really?? Had we seen someone doing this I would've forgotten about the sanctity of our Camino and probably throttled him.

SdC is an AMAZING city with lots to see and do. We spent three days there, attended the Pilgrims Mass twice (saw the Botofumiero Ceremony!), got to meet Nate from the Pilgrim House (great guy!), and popped in see Ivar but his office was closed. We really wanted to tell him how much we appreciated his efforts with this amazing forum.

Our trip home was fun too. We took the overnight train from SdC to Madrid and flew home through Stansted. Again, the flights and train were very easy and relaxing. We decided to get a private cabin on the train. We slept in fold out beds for most of the nine hour trip, showered in the morning, and arrived in Madrid ready to go. It was a great experience!

As we look back on it, we think about all the hours that went into planning and worrying, packing and repacking... we realized that, in the end, it's just as the veteran walkers say: "Try not to worry, the Camino will provide." Well, they're certainly correct.

A big "Thank You!" has to go out to the members of this forum who are so willing to answer questions from us newbies. I was watching 50 or so threads during the planning stages prior to our walk. I gleaned a ton of useful information from this site.

We met some amazing people, we gazed upon amazing vistas, and ate and drank some amazing food and wine. It really was a wonderful experience, we can't believe it's over.

Ron & Michele
As I'm in you previous shoes getting anxious and excited at the same time. training, and wondering if I'm over doing. the thinking and worrying on when I depart, would I get lost in the airport, would I make it out on time from costumes to catch the next plain to Biarritz? you words reassure me. Thank you:)

Thank you for sharing your adventure, wonderful to read! Makes me missing the Camino even more. Hope to meet you some day on the Camino.....

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for sharing this with us. I am glad to hear about your experiences. I'm heading out in a couple of weeks so it's great to read your story now. I still have a lot more Canadian walks to do before I go through. Are you planning your next trek yet?
Hi! Just noticed that you are from BC - whereabouts? We live in Victoria. We also did a portion of the Camino in 2013 (St. Jean Pied de Port to Belorado) and are returning in August to walk from Burgos to Santiago, and perhaps Finisterre or Muxia. Yours is getting very close. Buen Camino!

Hi! Just noticed that you are from BC - whereabouts? We live in Victoria. We also did a portion of the Camino in 2013 (St. Jean Pied de Port to Belorado) and are returning in August to walk from Burgos to Santiago, and perhaps Finisterre or Muxia. Yours is getting very close. Buen Camino!
I live in the north Okanagan. It's nice to see other BC people on the forum. Buen Camino to you as well.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Can you share your stages? I start from Leon on May 19th, and am planning on 13 days to Santiago (I have contingency plans if that doesn't work!). Curious as to how you did it.

Can you share your stages? I start from Leon on May 19th, and am planning on 13 days to Santiago (I have contingency plans if that doesn't work!). Curious as to how you did it.

Hi La Rubia,

Here's our stages and the approximate distances:

Leon to Villar de Mazarife - 21 kms
Hospital de Orbigo - 15 kms
Murias de Rechivaldo - 21 kms
Foncebadon - 21 kms
Molinaseca - 20 kms
Cacabelos - 23 kms
Vega de Valcarce - 24 kms
Hospital da Condesa - 17 kms
Samos - 25 kms
Barbadelo - 19 kms
Portomarin - 18 kms
Palas de Rai - 25 kms
Melide - 15 kms
Arzua - 14kms
O Pedrouzo - 18 kms
Santiago - 20 kms

As you can see, we tried to keep the stages around 20 kms or so. We didn't want to walk for so long that we had no energy or time to explore the City/Town/Hamlet that we chose to stay in or passed through (we took over 600 pictures while on our Camino). When you arrive in town you'll have to get to your accommodation, shower, do laundry (either in a machine or in a sink), and eat. We wanted ample time to do all these things.

We're excited for you! Buen Camino!!

Ron and Michele

I got to SDC in 12 days from Leon on my 2013 Camino:

Leon to San Martin del Camino
San Martin del Camino to Astorga
Astorga to Foncebadon
Foncebadon to Molinaseca
Molinaseca to Villafranca del Bierzo
Villafranca del Bierzo to O'Cebreiro
O'Cebreiro to Triacastela
Triacastela to Sarria
Sarria to Portomarin
Portomarin to Palas del Rei
Palas del Rei to Arzua
Arzua to Santiago

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Everyone,

Ron & Michele
That's really disgusting. I will never understand the mentality of someone that does something like that. I would have probably assisted you in said throttle.

Otherwise, sounds like y'all had a wonderful Camino experience.
cheers

So enjoyable reading about your camino - and congratulations. It's nice to get a synopsis when people return home. Now start planning the next one - because you will want to.

Great report thanks Ron and Michelle
Sitting in Dubai airport awaiting connection to Madrid then bus to Leon. Staying tonight at hostal Guzmann... Saw it recommended on this forum.
Very excited.

F
Hotel Guzman is a beauty!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back