• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ourense or Sarria for Solo Walker

kjswope

Time of past OR future Camino
Sarria or Ourense to Santiago (April 2018)
I have been planning on walking from Sarria to Santiago in April, but am reading that Ourense is a more scenic and peaceful route. I am female and will be walking alone so am curious if there are enough people on the Via de la Plata at that time of the year to feel safe or if I should stick with the more populated Sarria to Santiago route. Thank you in advance for your guidance!

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
It is worth following Sarah Dhooma's video on the Via de la Plata. She should be arriving at Ourense soon.

Actually, I think it is more scenic from Sarria; except for the climb out of Ourense, it is pretty dull, particularly the closer you get to Santiago.

From Sarria, the terrain is varied right up to the entry to Santiago over the "freeway."

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yeah -- I know you don't have to start at SJPdeP.... Yeah, I know you don't have to walk Sarria to SdeC....

Except that you do, at least once! They've become ritual rites of passage in 'Contemporary Camino Land'.

Save Ourense for next time.

I have been planning on walking from Sarria to Santiago in April, but am reading that Ourense is a more scenic and peaceful route. I am female and will be walking alone so am curious if there are enough people on the Via de la Plata at that time of the year to feel safe or if I should stick with the more populated Sarria to Santiago route. Thank you in advance for your guidance!
April is quiet, Sarria, no doubt

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks all for the advice...I've decided to keep my original plans in place and leave from Sarria.

The Sanabres is certainly less populated and as a woman, I would not walk it alone. It is rugged and quite isolated but yes, stunningly beautiful. Guess it depends how adventurous you are. Why not try the Ingles or Portugues?

Most read last week in this forum

I have been reading 2 different reports (on FB and instagram) about (an) agressive dog(s) just after Oseira. I'll post them here: In the group of @geraldkelly on FB (4 days ago): Hello lovely Via...
Hi all! Once again I am heading back to Spain; this time to walk much of the Sanabres with my son; starting in Rionegro del Puente after a few sightseeing days first in Salamanca and Zamora...
After a smooth and uneventful flight from Chicago to Madrid on Iberia, the last three days we have been doing some sightseeing in Salamanca and Zamora, and our days have been sunny, a little cool...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...
After 13 days of walking I've finished my 337km walk on the Camino Sanabres, and my entire 1400km walk from Almería. Yay! If anyone's interested in a day-by-day report, you can find it on my...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back