A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Ourense to Castro Dozon

2020 Camino Guides

peregrina2000

Staff member
I tried to post this question yesterday but I can't find the post. So please excuse if this is a duplicate.

I have a question about a stage on the VDLP. I am now in Tabara, walking with a couple of power walkers. They have mapped out stages to Santiago, and one of them is Ourense to Castro Dozon. We have all visited and slept at Oseira, and will not take the route that passes through Oseira. But I can't find info on the distance between Ourense and Castro Dozon without the detour. Does anyone know what it is?

and one more question -- I see some posts that say there is no albergue in Castro Dozon. Any confirmation or denial of that?

Many thanks. Buen camino. Laurie.

LTfit

Veteran Member
Good to have news, had been wondering where you were along the VdlP.

Just checked Gonze website and Ourense to Castro-Dozón is 37 km (Ourene-Cea 22, Cea-Piñor 3,5 and Piñor-Castro-Dozón 11,3).

Just wondering Laurie did you do Zamora-Montamarta-Granja-Tábara or Zamora-Riego del Camino-Tábara (which I am thinking of doing)?

Look forward to hearing the latest and shout out if you need any other help.
Cheer,
LT

Here are the detail regarding the albergue in Castro-Dozón from the Gonze website:

Localidad: Castro Dozón
Dirección: Ctra. N-525 (a la salida, a mano izquierda)
Año de apertura: 2012
Titularidad: Municipal
Gestión: Municipal
Exclusivo para peregrinos: Sí
Teléfono de contacto: 638-96-28-05
Mail de contacto: -
Admite reserva: No
Expide la credencial: No
Número de plazas: 26
Dormitorios: 1
Disponibilidad (meses inclusives): Todo el año
Hora de apertura: 13:00
Hora de cierre: 22:00
Precio: 5 euros
Acondicionamiento: Sencillo
Observaciones: Este albergue sustituye al albergue prefebricado de madera que estaba al lado y que, sin embargo, era mucho mejor. El actual está mal acondicionado y tiene humedades.
Web: (no tiene o desconocida)
Facebook: No

peregrina2000

Staff member
Many thanks Ltfit

Well, 37 is kind d of rough so we'll see how it goes.

I will give a lot more feedback when I can find a keyboard but my stages were Zamora to riego to Tabara. Both very do-able. The albergue in riego is quite simple and only one bathroom with shower ( and plenty of hot water). There is a store in riego that will open at any hour for pilgrims if you ring and there is a bAr that is pretty scuzzy but I survived meal there.

Hoping to arrive in Santiago on June 14.
Burn camino from Laurie

LTfit

Veteran Member
Look forward to hearing the rest. I have never been to Oseira and so am planning Orense-Oseira-A Laxe. Am going to see if Zamora-SdC is doable in 15 days but do have 1 or 2 days to play with. Would like to end up in Muxia/Fisterra.

Buen Camino!

jirit

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
peregrina2000 said:
I tried to post this question yesterday but I can't find the post. So please excuse if this is a duplicate.

I have a question about a stage on the VDLP. I am now in Tabara, walking with a couple of power walkers. They have mapped out stages to Santiago, and one of them is Ourense to Castro Dozon. We have all visited and slept at Oseira, and will not take the route that passes through Oseira. But I can't find info on the distance between Ourense and Castro Dozon without the detour. Does anyone know what it is?

and one more question -- I see some posts that say there is no albergue in Castro Dozon. Any confirmation or denial of that?

Many thanks. Buen camino. Laurie.
Laurie. From Ourense you first go I Cea and stop there. From Cea directly through to Castro Dozon is about 14 or 18 km - can not remember exactly the distance. I had recorded on my accommodation list that the albergue in Castro Dozon was closed but a friend of mine stayed there, so I am going to suggest it is open

alansykes

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Except the Francés
peregrina2000 said:
Many thanks Ltfit

I will give a lot more feedback when I can find a keyboard but my stages were Zamora to riego to Tabara. Both very do-able. The albergue in riego is quite simple and only one bathroom with shower ( and plenty of hot water). There is a store in riego that will open at any hour for pilgrims if you ring and there is a bAr that is pretty scuzzy but I survived meal there.
I was meaning to do that, as Riego del Camino is almost exactly half way between Zamora and Tábara. But when I got to Riego in December the (very scuzzy-looking) bar was closed and I didn't know about the shop, so I went on to Granja de Moreruela, a bit over an hour further on, which was hard after an already quite long day. But the albergue in Granja was good and the bar next door quite pleasant, and it meant I had an hour more to enjoy in Tábara the next day.

madrid12

I did part of this route in march and stopped at the albergue in Ourense then the albergue in cea. I had planned to go by Oseira but the weather was so bad I went the direct route to Castro and arrived about lunch time, I asked at the bar on the way in and they said the albergue was open so I stayed at the deserted old hotel sort of place at the end of the village, they was no info on the door or anything but I think they leave it open and just check and see if anyone is there. I have been to Osiera before and did enjoy the direct route to Casto [ apart from the cold, wind and rain[
Liz

falcon269

no commercial interests
Camino(s) past & future
LePuy, Frances, Aragones, Ingles, Vezelay, Toulosana, Muxia, Fisterra, Portugues, Sanabres
The sports facility behind the closed albergue was in use last fall. A restaurant a few km down the road will pick you up for dinner, and it was a very good churrasco. I had coffee there the next morning, too.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Thanks everyone. Looks like Ourense to Castro Dozon will be a long day (36-39???) and that we will at least have some sort of shelter and the possibility of a good meal.

Tonight in Camazara(?) de Tera, about 1 km off camino. There's a good 1star hotel-- 30 euros for private room, dinner, and breakfast (which they will leave out for us since we'll be leaving early. Mom hey tomorrow!

jirit

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Hi Laurie

I not sure why you want to walk from Ourense to Castro Dozon all in one day when you can simply stop in Cea. Cea does have a public albergue but there is also a private casa in town too.

A number if touristico pilgrims from Italy stayed there. I think the casa is Casa Manoso

Cea is approx 22 km from Ourense but there is a steep hill to climb about an hour outside of Ourense.

Alexandra

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Francis (2009)
Camino Mozarabe, VDLP, Camino Sanabres (2012)
Hi Laurie,

I also stayed at Casa Manosa in Cea last Oct/Nov. It is quite a large house and I was the only one there. I think I paid E25. I had a delicious meal at Casa Pintarolo, Calle Calvo Sorelo 7------near Banco Pastor. They do meals for peregrinos at any time. After Cea I stayed at Estacian Lalin.

Buen Camino,

Sandra

smileymadd

Camino(s) past & future
CF (2011) VdLP (2013) Camino Portuguese (2016) Camino Finisterre/Muxia (2016) Camino Ingles (2017)
Hi Laurie,

My sister-in-law and I returned to Australia two weeks ago after walking from Sevilla to Santiago. I have yet to post some information about our journey but just saw your post and wanted to respond. We walked from Ourense to Cea, looked in at the albergue which seemed perfectly fine but had seen some advertisements about a place to stay 2km past Cea in the little village of Cotelas so thought we would walk there. We had stayed at albergues pretty much every night of our journey so thought we could do with some home comforts. The Casa Rural is called 'O Refugio', telephone number 988 282 593 or 606 709 167. 15Euro for one person and 20Euro for two. It's in the main street which is on the camino. The husband and wife have converted what we think were old barns and at first glance it all looked a bit too rustic but we were lead to the most wonderful room complete with our own kitchen, fabulous bathroom, sheets, towels, TV, heater etc, all for the same price we had paid in numerous albergues for communal accommodation. They have three double rooms and one single I think. They were the loveliest couple, didn't speak English but their daughter did, didn't matter anyway. The wife will cook you a seriously delicious menu del dia at whatever time you like. Their bar and their lodgings are spotlessly clean. They have wifi also but only in the bar. It might seem like I'm going on a bit, but for us it was such a luxury and all for 10Euro each.

We then walked to Estacion Lalin where we stayed in a room above a bar and then walked to Bandeira where we stayed at Hotel Vitorino for 35Euro for two, the most we have had spend. The husband and wife who run the hotel were really lovely also, they really wanted us to sample some traditional Galician food and their menu del dia was delicioso.

After three nights not sleeping in an albergue we kind of missed the company of other pilgrims so spent our last night at the albergue in Outeiro/Vedra which was excellent.

Hope this information helps. Will post a little more of our journey when I can.

Sue.

peregrina2000

Staff member
Thanks, Sue,

I wound up walking Ourense-Castro Dozon- Silleda-Outeiro-Santiago.

The stage from Ourense to Castro Dozon was not as arduous as I had been fearing. We left Ourense early and were able to get through the Ourense outskirts before there was much daylight so the traffic was light and the eyesores less obvious. It is a long day, but it is perfectly do-able, especially with all the towns along the way for a rest.

The albergue in Castro Dozon is not a Xunta albergue, it's run by the municipality. It is not as well maintained as the Xunta albergues, but it was fine. There is now a bar in town that serves pilgrim meals which are not terrific but totally edible. And there are two grocery stores in town -- each one is connected to one of the two bars. They are open typical Spanish hours and have totally adequate inventory for cooking. The kitchen in Castro Dozon albergue is very well supplied with plates, cooking ware, etc if people want to cook.

Falcon has mentioned a restaurant that will bring meals to the albergue, but there was no advertisement indicting the details of that. Now that one of the bars serves meals in town, maybe the demand for that service has disappeared. We did see the restaurant a few kms beyond Castro Dozon the next morning, it's not too far from the albergue.

My one disappointment from that stage is that Castro Dozon's Romanesque church is actually about 4 kms away, so I didn't get to see it. Looks like a very nice one, though.

Buen camino, Laurie

SafariGirl

Camino(s) past & future
Francés, Vía de la Plata, Primitivo, Norte, Lebaniego & Vadiniense,
Aragonés
Hi Laurie,

My sister-in-law and I returned to Australia two weeks ago after walking from Sevilla to Santiago. I have yet to post some information about our journey but just saw your post and wanted to respond. We walked from Ourense to Cea, looked in at the albergue which seemed perfectly fine but had seen some advertisements about a place to stay 2km past Cea in the little village of Cotelas so thought we would walk there. We had stayed at albergues pretty much every night of our journey so thought we could do with some home comforts. The Casa Rural is called 'O Refugio', telephone number 988 282 593 or 606 709 167. 15Euro for one person and 20Euro for two. It's in the main street which is on the camino. The husband and wife have converted what we think were old barns and at first glance it all looked a bit too rustic but we were lead to the most wonderful room complete with our own kitchen, fabulous bathroom, sheets, towels, TV, heater etc, all for the same price we had paid in numerous albergues for communal accommodation. They have three double rooms and one single I think. They were the loveliest couple, didn't speak English but their daughter did, didn't matter anyway. The wife will cook you a seriously delicious menu del dia at whatever time you like. Their bar and their lodgings are spotlessly clean. They have wifi also but only in the bar. It might seem like I'm going on a bit, but for us it was such a luxury and all for 10Euro each.

We then walked to Estacion Lalin where we stayed in a room above a bar and then walked to Bandeira where we stayed at Hotel Vitorino for 35Euro for two, the most we have had spend. The husband and wife who run the hotel were really lovely also, they really wanted us to sample some traditional Galician food and their menu del dia was delicioso.

After three nights not sleeping in an albergue we kind of missed the company of other pilgrims so spent our last night at the albergue in Outeiro/Vedra which was excellent.

Hope this information helps. Will post a little more of our journey when I can.

Sue.
Just to provide an update on 'O Refugio' in Cotelas...I'm staying there tonight and they charge €8 per person for a double or single room. I'm in a twin but only paying for one bed. It is only 1km beyond Cea and the rooms have everything (Bathroom, sheets, towels, heater, fridge, TV, microwave, cutlery, crockery, sink, draining board etc). It's only €2 more than I paid for the Municipal in Ourense last night, which had none of these. The couple who own it are very helpful. They have a small amount of groceries for sale (fruit, cold meats, chocolate, pasta, croissants etc) and they do a delicious 'Menu del Dia' for €9, breakfast for €2 served at 7am. Can't recommend the place highly enough.

SYates

Camino Fossil AD 1999, now living in Santiago de C
Camino(s) past & future
First: Camino Francés 1999
Last: Santiago - Muxia 2019

Now: http://egeria.house/
I agree, O Refugio was one of my favourite places to stay on the VdlP, just make sure you call ahead, especially when arriving on a Wednesday (their usual day off, when they are "only" on call). Also check out the common room when you are there, the key is in your room. Buen Camino, SY

SafariGirl

Camino(s) past & future
Francés, Vía de la Plata, Primitivo, Norte, Lebaniego & Vadiniense,
Aragonés
Very good advice...will do SY...and thanks! (y) :)

aisbr

Camino(s) past & future
VdlP (17), Frances (16,11,12&13), Portuguese (15), Norte & Primitivo (14), Finisterre & Muxia
I just want to add to the positive comments on O Refugio. I stayed there last night & it was such a wonderful experience. I felt most welcome. The food was excellent (even for an awkward coeliac). The room was spotlessly clean & comfortable. After a relaxing afternoon there I had one of my best sleeps of this camino. I'm so glad I stayed there and would find it hard to pass the door on future trips.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
That's definitely a place to stay according to previous posts. The Cea albergue wasn't bad but for almost the same price and a bit of family feeling with delicious Galician dinner you really can't beat it for 8+9€. Will definitely try to stay there next time. Thanks to all!

Joanna McIntyre

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 1st May 2015
Camino Portugues - April/May 2016
Camino Ingles - May 2017
Chemin Le Puy
If you want to stay in the O'Refugio in Cotelas but also want to go to the monastery in Oseira then do you have to walk back to Cea to take the 'right hand' route from Cea - or is there another option. thanks

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 9 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 48 4.1%
  • April

Votes: 174 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 282 24.3%