• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Ourense to Santiago - Walking notes.

Jenny Bray-Cotton

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 Sarria to Santiago
2015 Viano do Castrllo to Santiago
2016 - planned - Ourense to Santiago
Thank you all for your replies, I only asked if Ourense to Santiago was well signed as I got lost many times last year Viano de castelo - Santiago. I am also struggling to find walking notes for Oursense-Cea-Dozen-Lalin-Sileda-Pomte Ulla-Santiago, does anyone know of any I can download or a guide book I should buy, (unfortunately, I only have a few Spanish words in my vocabulary so far!) I have also though of purchasing a GPS device. - your suggestions please.
I will be walking the above alone starting from Ourense 31/8/2016, anyone else on the same route and days?
Thanks again
Buen Camino
Jenny

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thank you all for your replies, I only asked if Ourense to Santiago was well signed as I got lost many times last year Viano de castelo - Santiago. I am also struggling to find walking notes for Oursense-Cea-Dozen-Lalin-Sileda-Pomte Ulla-Santiago, does anyone know of any I can download or a guide book I should buy, (unfortunately, I only have a few Spanish words in my vocabulary so far!) I have also though of purchasing a GPS device. - your suggestions please.
I will be walking the above alone starting from Ourense 31/8/2016, anyone else on the same route and days?
Thanks again
Buen Camino
Jenny
Hi Jenny
I walked this route just last June ...for 5 days. I thought that there would be a few walkers but during the day I saw only one other. I also had wondered about a guides so I downloaded a couple.
Firstly it is well signed. Secondly there are references to online guides - check Camino Resources for Print guides there are references to via de la plata guides...that is a good start. Gronze and Eroski I think.
I found all references and help for this walk on this forum. Also check the specific sections on the Via de la Plata or Camino Sanabres items on this forum.

I had read that there are 2 ways to Cea ...from Ourense. I took the right hand side way and it was fine. The other way to Cea may have had more cafe stops though.

At one stage I had a look at a German guide which had some great maps. That is what I missed the most...having a reasonable map.
I missed the arrows at one point past Silleda but just kept on the main road as I knew from the online guides that it would all meet up again further down the track. If I had a detailed map it would have been better.

I do understand your worry as when you are on your own you need to keep alert for the signs. You may want to print out /keep offline some google maps or have your phone with data and maps with you..(I didnt have that... but it would have been good). If you know the towns you are heading to then you could ask/mime directions. I stayed in hotels but I heard that there was plenty of room at albergues. I didnt do the Oseira bit. It rained for alot of my walk and there was a heap of water on the track.
Cheers jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Thanks again
Buen Camino
Jenny
Gerald Kelly's VDLP guide is very good and has useful detail. Between Melanie's VDLP app and this e-book, it was quite easy. Check out the monastery at Oseira as it is well worth the trip. The tour was all in Spanish but even so, was well worth it.

Hi Jenny
I walked this route just last June ...for 5 days. I thought that there would be a few walkers but during the day I saw only one other. I also had wondered about a guides so I downloaded a couple.
Firstly it is well signed. Secondly there are references to online guides - check Camino Resources for Print guides there are references to via de la plata guides...that is a good start. Gronze and Eroski I think.
I found all references and help for this walk on this forum. Also check the specific sections on the Via de la Plata or Camino Sanabres items on this forum.

I had read that there are 2 ways to Cea ...from Ourense. I took the right hand side way and it was fine. The other way to Cea may have had more cafe stops though.

At one stage I had a look at a German guide which had some great maps. That is what I missed the most...having a reasonable map.
I missed the arrows at one point past Silleda but just kept on the main road as I knew from the online guides that it would all meet up again further down the track. If I had a detailed map it would have been better.

I do understand your worry as when you are on your own you need to keep alert for the signs. You may want to print out /keep offline some google maps or have your phone with data and maps with you..(I didnt have that... but it would have been good). If you know the towns you are heading to then you could ask/mime directions. I stayed in hotels but I heard that there was plenty of room at albergues. I didnt do the Oseira bit. It rained for alot of my walk and there was a heap of water on the track.
Cheers jill
Hi Jill. If I'm on the Frances and I want to go to Ourense it looks like another 100 km. Curious if you have info on this cross over stage. Thank you.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hi Jill. If I'm on the Frances and I want to go to Ourense it looks like another 100 km. Curious if you have info on this cross over stage. Thank you.

Hi, Ourense is on the Sanbres (the top of the Vdlp and the route that many take rather then go on up to Astorga to join the French Route). I am not sure there is a marked route that lets you cross over from the French Way to the Sanbres on your way to Santiago.

As Ourense is about 100kms from Santiago you could walk down to Ourense after you have finished the French Way, but Reverso markings not always the greatest. You could always just take the train from Santiago after you have finished the French route. If you walk down then hill from the Ourense train station your find the river, stroll along side it and you will find the hot pools, a great spot to recover after a hard Camino.

Hi, Ourense is on the Sanbres (the top of the Vdlp and the route that many take rather then go on up to Astorga to join the French Route). I am not sure there is a marked route that lets you cross over from the French Way to the Sanbres on your way to Santiago.

As Ourense is about 100kms from Santiago you could walk down to Ourense after you have finished the French Way, but Reverso markings not always the greatest. You could always just take the train from Santiago after you have finished the French route. If you walk down then hill from the Ourense train station your find the river, stroll along side it and you will find the hot pools, a great spot to recover after a hard Camino.
Thanks so much. I think I'll do that, take the train after I arrive in Santiago. May walk back from Ourense, we'll see.

Hi Vegan:

You are way to the North of Ourense. Attached is a map for your reference.

Buen Camino

Attachments

• 5F38BC96-C004-481F-B356-9A921D1FE8E2.png
    5F38BC96-C004-481F-B356-9A921D1FE8E2.png
    336.3 KB · Views: 20
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
@VeganCamino You could join the camino sanabrés from Astorga (walking to Granja de Moreruela) and walk to Santiago via Ourense?

Edited: ah, wait, just realised you’re the person who thinks ‘Spain sucks’ ? 😄 Not a good idea then! 😉

Attachments

• 4E8AE48D-1A5E-4013-965E-E819F8F0C8E8.jpeg
    4E8AE48D-1A5E-4013-965E-E819F8F0C8E8.jpeg
    77.5 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
@VeganCamino You could join the camino sanabrés from Astorga (walking to Granja de Moreruela) and walk to Santiago via Ourense?

Edited: ah, wait, just realised you’re the person who thinks ‘Spain sucks’ ? 😄 Not a good idea then! 😉

No matter, she still needs of “guidance “. Perhaps, a deep in the thermal waters provides her a relaxation to gather her thoughts regarding Spain.

Anyhow, wish her a Buen Camino......

Hi again, @VeganCamino .
The easiest thing would be to walk yhe Invierno from Ponferrada. It doesn't connect to the Sanabres until after Ourense, but it's gorgeous.

And pretty solitary.
And...that whole part of the world is a food desert for vegans. Both the Sanabres and the Invierno would be pretty hard going in that regard.

The perfect camino does not exist, and struggle ends with sweet surrender. It is what it is, and no matter what camino we walk, we take our mind with us, and there's no escaping the inner weather. ;)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
What is the distance to SDC? How long did it take you?
Just over 100km. Ourense is one of the common 100km starting points for people who want to walk the Camino and receive a Compostela. Trains from Santiago to Ourense take from 40 minutes to 1 hour and 40 minutes. You can look up times on the RENFE website or Google

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Thanks so much. I think I'll do that, take the train after I arrive in Santiago. May walk back from Ourense, we'll see.

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back