• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Out of Villafranca

Shurolla

Time of past OR future Camino
2015 - October: FIRST TIMER!
Hola fellow Pegrinos! I just arrived in Villafranca del Bierzo today and will be heading out on the morning. I am wondering about the less traveled path up the hill to / thru Padela instead of the Pereje route. The suggestion was the Pereje route, but I prefer the mountain vistas but want to be safe with the rain. What do ya'll think?

Thanks!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
if its overcast there's not point with no views on the Pradela route..if it is clear nice early start to enjoy the view back across villafranca de bierzo as the sun come up as soon as you level out .watch and wait perfect........I did voluntary work there this year and took there dog up there everyday for an hour...its safe with or without rain. good path

the road walk is good because you have a road barrier to keep traffic away once on the main run.. flat till you reach Herrerias with Pereje the first place to stop for coffee etc

the other route I checked out for the first time ever the is year..the Dragonte.. I liked it a lot no other pilgrims I encountered along this route.

Hi Shurolla, it's depending of the weather:
the Padela way is really beautiful, high over the valley, but can be tricky, downhill if rainy.
the road trip is not too bad, because most of the traffic is on the highway and the remaining is very well separated from the walkers path.
I haven't done the Dragonte side, so no opinion...
Buen Camino, Jacques-D.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes I agree that the Padela route gives wonderful views in good weather. It is something of a challenging climb up but worth it. Not tried the Dragonet but a friend got lost on it in 2013. He said the markings were not very good.

We want to try the Dragonte route next time too. I've heard that a compass and some experience following hiking trails are a good idea on that route

When we went last year, we took the route that follows the N-IV highway, which was fine. I had twisted my ankle a couple days before coming down from the Iron Cross, so we decided to stick to this route since it was mostly paved and it would be nicer on my ankle. That route followed the road mostly, but there wasn't a lot of traffic on it, and most of the time we were separated from the road by a barrier.

Hello pilgrims,

We highly recommend the alternate route out of Villafranca for its scenic beauty and fields of chestnut, lavender, and wildflowers in the spring. When we walked it yesterday, April 6, we identified 12 different species of butterflies and 26 different species of wildflowers.

Though more strenuous than the traditional route along the road, there is an incredible respite in the small farming town of Padela, immediately before descending back to rejoin the traditional route at Trabadelo. The additional length of the alternative route is less than 3 km, though the climbing does make it a longer day.

In Padela, you MUST stop at the Albergue Lamas, spectacularly set overlooking the valley and run by a small farming family with farm dogs, cats, grandmother, and granddaughter. Miguel and his wife make their own Spanish red wine from their own vineyard grapes and it may be one of best wines we have ever tasted.

The local farming population all stopped in for lunch while we were there, and we also enjoyed vegetables and potatoes that were grown on the farm with an incredible homemade garlic aïoli. The cured ham that we had with our sandwiches also was locally produced.

This little gem does not appear to get much traffic because it is so far off the beaten path and takes effort to reach. However, we can confirm that it is well worth the effort and indeed has been the best meal and social experience that we have yet had along the Camino.

James Li

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Hola, i walked the alternative "Dragonte" in 2016, after we got lost short after the first climb, we walked together and had a super exhausting day but what a beautiful scenery, stunning nature. I think we came down to Las Herrerias...highly recommended only with experiences and enough food!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back