• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Outbuildings in farm houses

Bugsy1971

Time of past OR future Camino
Sat 11th June 2023 due to finish
Hi. Just walked from Sarria to Portomarin. Does anyone know what the narrow outbuildings are with aerated bricks and crucifixes at either end, in the gardens. Muchas Gracias

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
A few have been transitioned into sitting rooms or bedrooms - very cool reuse of the larger ones

They are so interesting! I learned from the tour bus to F and M that it is illegal to remove them. They must be allowed to disintegrate, per the tour guide. As you've likely observed, people still build new ones on their property, often matching the exterior colors to the main house.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was intrigued by these also and asked my hosts in Morgade about them. A young man there told me that people from as far away as New York and London now want them in their gardens and you can get good money for them.
I can't imagine how you would get a centuries old stone horreo to NYC, but I guess with enough $$ you can do anything.

Somewhere closer to Santiago I did see some miniature ones which looked more ornamental than useful.
It may have been near the photo attached... I'd reached peak Horreo photo by then so didn't take one of the miniatures

IMG20230524130919.jpg

Last edited:
Traditional Galician horreos are generally built on six legs. Being long and narrow, they are not really well suited to habitation.

In Asturias they are square in construction and built on four legs. These are much better suited for conversion and you will see many such examples on the Primitivo and Norte.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

Can anyone highly recommend an intro, fast track Spanish course, anywhere in Spain? I took Spanish lessons years ago, but was waylaid by learning Dutch, and couldn't cope with both...
Moderator, please place this in the appropriate thread. Thank you. Well, it's about time.😊👍...
Mark Taubert in FranceInfo, 24 Mars, 2024 , describes a new GR hike which has been planned for the past 10 years along the Seine passing the locations where famous 19th c Impressionist...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.