A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Outdoor industry reveal new backpack volume standard

2020 Camino Guides

C clearly

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016), VDLP (2017), Mozarabe (2018), Vasco/Bayona (2019)
Great article! But how was the Pabst selected? I think that Molson's Canadian would have been the Canadian choice.

(Yes, I have turned the page on my calendar)

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
News broke today that the US and Canadian outdoor industry associations have deviced a new backpack volume standard. This should be immensely helpful in judging the actual useful volume or capacity of your new pack!

The article is here. Well worth a read!
;)
Can I use a pint can of Norw. Mack beer as measure-stick? It/they are always in my pack! ;)

Great measure standard BTW :)

nidarosa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Inglés 2009+2017, Francés 2012+2018, Astorga-Santiago repeatedly
I am tempted to unpack my pack (which is obviously ready for my May camino, even though it won't happen) and see how my 25L Osprey compares to the 22L - but we don't have the right brand, or even the right size tins, and I am not feeling certain that it would fall under 'essential supplies' at the moment? Of course in a pinch Molson's or Mack might work (or Dahls in my case).

I am sure someone out there is testing it this very moment!

MisterH

Camino(s) past & future
2017, 2018 neither successful
Unfortunately I am having problems with measuring my pack. I only drink beer in bottles. Should I go out and "take one for the team" and load up on canned beer? I would then be forced to empty the cans prior to measuring. This might be a several day job! But I am now under a "stray at home" order, so I have some free time for this project.

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
News broke today that the US and Canadian outdoor industry associations have deviced a new backpack volume standard. This should be immensely helpful in judging the actual useful volume or capacity of your new pack!

;)
Well thank God for that. As there’s not much going on of any importance I thought it was about time that the age old question of ‘how much can I get in my rucsac’ would finally get to the top of the list.

Has anyone got any breaking news on the eagerly awaited discussions of the religion of the pope, the consequences of running with scissors or where and when forest-dwelling bears defecate?

Sorry OP, nothing personal.

(some time later ...)

OK, so now I’ve actually read the article.

Why not? It’s a sufficiently universal measure and more practical than most of the stuff I’ve carted round the planet over the last 50 years.

Perhaps someone might now try to standardise shoe size, or stop manufacturers reducing the size of my trousers every year?

Last edited:

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Currently on a "Virtual" Camino and striding out across Navarra!
What I've never understood about Pabst is do they train the gnats to land on the rim of the bottle neck and pee straight into the bottle or do the gnats just pee into a barrel and the company bottles it for them?

kazrobbo

Tassie Kaz
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2012
CP 2015
St Olavs Norway 2016
88T Japan 2017
PWC/VF 2019
Israel 2020 X
Wales CP 21?
KK?
VdlP?

;)
And to think I've only ever visualised 1 litre cartons of milk to comprehend backpack volume...I've been missing out! 😄 😇 🍻
👣 🌏

henrythedog

Loved and fed by David
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2017, 2018, 2019, Ingles 2018, (Madrid 2019 partial - retired hurt!) (more planned)
What I've never understood about Pabst is do they train the gnats to land on the rim of the bottle neck and pee straight into the bottle or do the gnats just pee into a barrel and the company bottles it for them?
You would have to be familiar with U.K. ale brands of the 1980’s to appreciate this, but a hand-drawn cartoon was circulated in the public houses of the North West of England around that time. It showed a horse drinking enthusiastically from a barrel branded ‘Boddingtons’ (brewed by angels according to my father) and, at the other end of the very obviously male horse - and being filled by it, with equal vigour - a barrel marked ‘Tetleys’.

I simply relay the facts, I am not an affinicado of either.

Last edited:
Camino(s) past & future
cycled from Pamplona Sep 2015;Frances, walked from St Jean May/June 2017. Plans to walk Porto 2020

;)
Does one get a 24 can carton with each new backpack purchase???

VNwalking

Wandering in big circles
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
San Olav/CF ('16)
Baztanés/CF ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Vasco/CF/Invierno ('19)
Does Corona come in cans?
Surely that would be standard.

Stivandrer

Perambulating & Curious. Rep stravaiging offender
Camino(s) past & future
I´ve got Camino plans until 2042,
- or till I fall flat on my face, whichever comes first !!
Unfortunately I drink draft beer.
I would suggest you´d pour the sack full right from the tap to get right measure...and then have 10 ( thirsty ) pilgrims w/ the drinking tubes from their hydration system to empty it out.
It would a walking day wasted obviously, but a happy one....

NJohn

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances Sept/Oct 2020
Hey! I like Pabst! So offended.
😉...not. My daughter makes so much fun of me for drinking it. To be honest, I prefer wine. For this exercise, it’s good to know the wine industry now has cans of wine to be used to measure backpacks.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Hey! I like Pabst! So offended.
😉...not. My daughter makes so much fun of me for drinking it. To be honest, I prefer wine. For this exercise, it’s good to know the wine industry now has cans of wine to be used to measure backpacks.
About 50 years ago a clever Australian came up with the goon bag, the heart of the wine cubitainer

1585840024946.png

rugged and flexible, they'd fit your pack better than tins and much quieter too plus no need for a tin opener!

Camino(s) past & future
CF SJPdP to SdC
(May 2015)
CF last 150 to SdC
(May 2016)
CF SJPDP-SdC
(Apr/May 2018)
VdlP (2022)
About 50 years ago a clever Australian came up with the goon bag, the heart of the wine cubitainer

View attachment 72367

rugged and flexible, they'd fit your pack better than tins and much quieter too plus no need for a tin opener!
Ah the Good Ole 'Chateau de Cardboard' ........still doing well.

Sixwheeler

Camino(s) past & future
Arles Route (2013/2014 onwards)
Ah, it's THAT date again is it which is just as well as I prefer draught beer. Brown in colour, slightly flat and served around body temperature - proper English beer.

Jeff Crawley

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Ah the Good Ole 'Chateau de Cardboard' ........still doing well.
Australian guy tasting wine: "That's a fair old brew mate, what year is it?"
His friend, looking at bottom of the box: "October."

Deputy Dan

Camino(s) past & future
Logrono to Burgos in week of October (2017); SJPP - ?, three weeks in 2020!
Hmm - I'll use lite beer the keep the overall pack weight down . . .

Camino(s) past & future
Vol Pilgm office 15
CF 16+17
Vol Pilgm House 18
Kerry&Ingles 19
Portuguese( ? 2020, 2021?)
I'm waiting for a hydration system designed for Guinness.

NorthernLight

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Le Puy to Santiago via the Frances 2012-2013. EPW2015
Aragonese & Frances 2016
Burgos to Muxia 2017
Back in college, I smuggled some beer into an event, in a hydration pack (of sorts). The beer was fine, but I had to regularly loosen the lid to let the gas escape. The area around me mysteriously reeked like a brewery.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.3%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 193 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 319 25.0%
  • June

Votes: 93 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 23 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 365 28.6%
  • October

Votes: 154 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 6 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock