• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Outdoor industry reveal new backpack volume standard

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
News broke today that the US and Canadian outdoor industry associations have deviced a new backpack volume standard. This should be immensely helpful in judging the actual useful volume or capacity of your new pack!

The article is here. Well worth a read!
;)

Can I use a pint can of Norw. Mack beer as measure-stick? It/they are always in my pack! ;)

Great measure standard BTW :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am tempted to unpack my pack (which is obviously ready for my May camino, even though it won't happen) and see how my 25L Osprey compares to the 22L - but we don't have the right brand, or even the right size tins, and I am not feeling certain that it would fall under 'essential supplies' at the moment? Of course in a pinch Molson's or Mack might work (or Dahls in my case).

I am sure someone out there is testing it this very moment!

Unfortunately I am having problems with measuring my pack. I only drink beer in bottles. Should I go out and "take one for the team" and load up on canned beer? I would then be forced to empty the cans prior to measuring. This might be a several day job! But I am now under a "stray at home" order, so I have some free time for this project.

News broke today that the US and Canadian outdoor industry associations have deviced a new backpack volume standard. This should be immensely helpful in judging the actual useful volume or capacity of your new pack!

;)

Well thank God for that. As there’s not much going on of any importance I thought it was about time that the age old question of ‘how much can I get in my rucsac’ would finally get to the top of the list.

Has anyone got any breaking news on the eagerly awaited discussions of the religion of the pope, the consequences of running with scissors or where and when forest-dwelling bears defecate?

Sorry OP, nothing personal.

(some time later ...)

OK, so now I’ve actually read the article.

Why not? It’s a sufficiently universal measure and more practical than most of the stuff I’ve carted round the planet over the last 50 years.

Perhaps someone might now try to standardise shoe size, or stop manufacturers reducing the size of my trousers every year?

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What I've never understood about Pabst is do they train the gnats to land on the rim of the bottle neck and pee straight into the bottle or do the gnats just pee into a barrel and the company bottles it for them?

;)
And to think I've only ever visualised 1 litre cartons of milk to comprehend backpack volume...I've been missing out! 😄 😇 🍻
👣 🌏

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What I've never understood about Pabst is do they train the gnats to land on the rim of the bottle neck and pee straight into the bottle or do the gnats just pee into a barrel and the company bottles it for them?

You would have to be familiar with U.K. ale brands of the 1980’s to appreciate this, but a hand-drawn cartoon was circulated in the public houses of the North West of England around that time. It showed a horse drinking enthusiastically from a barrel branded ‘Boddingtons’ (brewed by angels according to my father) and, at the other end of the very obviously male horse - and being filled by it, with equal vigour - a barrel marked ‘Tetleys’.

I simply relay the facts, I am not an affinicado of either.

Last edited:

;)
Does one get a 24 can carton with each new backpack purchase???

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Unfortunately I drink draft beer.
I would suggest you´d pour the sack full right from the tap to get right measure...and then have 10 ( thirsty ) pilgrims w/ the drinking tubes from their hydration system to empty it out.
It would a walking day wasted obviously, but a happy one....

Hey! I like Pabst! So offended.
😉...not. My daughter makes so much fun of me for drinking it. To be honest, I prefer wine. For this exercise, it’s good to know the wine industry now has cans of wine to be used to measure backpacks.

Hey! I like Pabst! So offended.
😉...not. My daughter makes so much fun of me for drinking it. To be honest, I prefer wine. For this exercise, it’s good to know the wine industry now has cans of wine to be used to measure backpacks.
About 50 years ago a clever Australian came up with the goon bag, the heart of the wine cubitainer

1585840024946.png

rugged and flexible, they'd fit your pack better than tins and much quieter too plus no need for a tin opener!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
About 50 years ago a clever Australian came up with the goon bag, the heart of the wine cubitainer

View attachment 72367

rugged and flexible, they'd fit your pack better than tins and much quieter too plus no need for a tin opener!

Ah the Good Ole 'Chateau de Cardboard' ........still doing well.

Ah, it's THAT date again is it which is just as well as I prefer draught beer. Brown in colour, slightly flat and served around body temperature - proper English beer.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ah the Good Ole 'Chateau de Cardboard' ........still doing well.
Australian guy tasting wine: "That's a fair old brew mate, what year is it?"
His friend, looking at bottom of the box: "October."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hmm - I'll use lite beer the keep the overall pack weight down . . .

Back in college, I smuggled some beer into an event, in a hydration pack (of sorts). The beer was fine, but I had to regularly loosen the lid to let the gas escape. The area around me mysteriously reeked like a brewery.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back