• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Outer layers

kaixo

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2012
Geneva-Bilbao 2015
Norte 2022
I need help choosing what to unpack!
I leave on May 31 and will be walking the Camino Frances in June and July.
Here is what I have packed to wear over my base layer:
1. Smartwool lightweight long-sleeve pullover
2. Patagonia long-sleeve button up lightweight
3. Icebreaker Cascade full zip fleece
4. Outdoor Research Reflexa rain jacket
Any thoughts?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
not sure what 2 is ?

are you bringing a poncho ?

I was freezing last yeat, so this year i will bring

1 silk long sleeve
1 wool long sleeve
1 windbreaker (running jacket)

and wear them in that order if needed (silk is base layer if cold)

all together less than 500 grams

and then my poncho on top

i skipped my fleece as the silk and wool have better specs than that for less weight

If you've packed a poncho, Forget the raikn jacket and bring the lightest sweater.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
nice fleece, but very heavy...

skip that one

I sleep in my (running) shorts and he t-shirt i will wear next day...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
actually i would still skip the shirt, maybe for a thin long sleeve silk so you can layer...

all a matter of preference though...

Pieces said:
actually i would still skip the shirt, maybe for a thin long sleeve silk so you can layer...

all a matter of preference though...

no mention of old faded" guns and roses" t-shirts?....guess i need to look at my packing list again

kaixo said:
I am not bringing a poncho.
I could not figure how to post the foto just url.
Pieces...not the shirt you found. See below.

1. http://www.smartwool.com/womens/w-midwe ... -6120.html
2. http://www.6pm.com/patagonia-womens-sol ... hirt-white
3. http://us.icebreaker.com/Cascade-Full-Z ... ops-fleece
4. http://www.altrec.com/outdoor-research/ ... cket-37291

P.S. What do you sleep in?

SS212-524-1-p

1032146-p-DETAILED.jpg

small.png

57525.136173_s.jpg

copy image click img, paste easy :lol:

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi ladies! Would this be a typical list for a mid September-October? Are rain pants a necessity? I have a poncho but I've been wavering on purchasing the pants. At 4'10 my poncho is almost a dress *lol* Also should I be gearing towards short sleeves vs long? *sigh* so much to think about and too much to do. Thanks in advance-Lynette :D

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
is there a recommended clothing list based on time of year somewhere on this forum?

i see lots of "what i brought" lists but everyone goes at different times of year and does different distances and different starting points.

am looking for clothing recommendations for leaving sjpdp aug 22 and ending in muxia in early october.

am still not sure if i will stay in alberques all the time, some of the time or none of the time but am at least leaning towards staying in hotel once a week for a complete rest day, to do laundry etc.

hard to know what to pack when i am not sure where i will sleep. HELP :?

I would not bring rain pants. If you're worried about keeping your legs dry with the poncho consider using gaiters. But I think full pants would be overkill. You will likely want short sleeves during the day but long at night.

texastrekker said:
is there a recommended clothing list based on time of year somewhere on this forum?
i see lots of "what i brought" lists but everyone goes at different times of year and does different distances and different starting points.
am looking for clothing recommendations for leaving sjpdp aug 22 and ending in muxia in early october.
am still not sure if i will stay in alberques all the time, some of the time or none of the time but am at least leaning towards staying in hotel once a week for a complete rest day, to do laundry etc.

hard to know what to pack when i am not sure where i will sleep. HELP :?

I walked from SJPdP to Santiago from mid-May to June 20 and here is my packing list.

Total weight: 8,4 kilograms
Osprey Kestrel 48 (room to spare but fit me well- will try to go lighter and smaller next time)
Sleeping bag and satin pillow cover : 880 gr
Poncho : 350 gr (bought on ebay for 25$)
Medium Outdoor Research zipper bag (not plastic!) containing:
2 pairs of socks
1 bra
2 pair of underwear
1 capilene ¾ sleeve top and capri for sleeping or as layer
Large Outdoor Research zipper bag containing: (could have been a medium size)
1 pair zip-off pants
1 skort
1 tank top
1 T-shirt
1 warm full-zip top
1 muslin pareo
1 mesh bag for toiletries:
1 bar Lush shampoo and tin can
1 small Nalgene bottle filled with leave-in conditioner
1 comb
½ bar of Tide laundry detergent
Toothbrush
1 75 ml tube of toothpaste
Needle, thread, Second skin, alcohol wipes, allergy pill...
1 X-large ultra-lite Packtowl
1 pair Crocs
1 rain jacket (not used and will not bring back)

I plan to bring the same things in September-October of next year for my second Camino

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am a bit baffled at hov that makes 8,4 Kilo is there something really heavy in there ?

I bring more at under 6kg

Pieces said:
I am a bit baffled at hov that makes 8,4 Kilo is there something really heavy in there ?

I bring more at under 6kg

I think I may need more fabric in my clothes than you do. :? :wink:

The pack does account for 1,4 kg...

even then though

but your bag IS heavier and I dont have a rain jacket....

your list just looke so short compared to mine even is i did go to extremes o bring only the lightest of the light...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thank you all for the great advice. I have unpacked the Icebreaker fleece (even though I love it) since it weighs in at 800g. I can layer my Smartwool long sleeve and then the Columbia shirt which is light weight (not cotton). I can top off with my rainjacket if needed.

I could swap the Columbia shirt for a mid weight (260) Icebreaker pullover.
http://us.icebreaker.com/260-Midweight- ... base-layer

Thank you abbeydore for the images.
To my horror I was unable to insert a foto of the Icebreaker pullover. :shock:

that one is 500grams and you allready have a wool one ?

maybe get at thin silk longsleeve for inner layer, mine is 120 grams and good both when warm and cold and to go under my 150 gram wool pullover, they are just thin normal everyday tops thet were in my wardrobe and fit under my windpoof running jacket...

I lied though, the 3 items together weigh 540 grams, but still it's about the same as your one wool...

(if it gets really really cold I will wear my poncho on top)

i really didn't find it that cold in june/july last year (and I am always cold) just one day i was freezing, and that was because I only had the running jacket and a normal running tee (plan was to shop in London on the way, but couldn't find what I wanted and ended up going with hardly any clothes....

I would check the forecast before leaving and then not bring too much unless it says snowstorm, and if you are not too strapped for funds you can probably get something warm for less than €20 on the way (or just raid the lost & found boxes in the next albergue...)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back