• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Outerwear question

JuliannaF

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
Hi everyone!

Quick question -- I will be walking the Camino Frances for the first time this summer am leaving from Pamplona on August 6th (give or take a day) into early September. I'm sorry if this is question has been asked before - I couldn't find any old forums for this time frame as it can be a hot time of year. I am wondering what is the recommended outer wear for this time of year for the morning and evenings? I don't want bring a fleece as they tend to be bulky... Would a vest and a long sleeve do? Windbreaker? Or a just a light weight jacket? Nano puff? Or just a rain jacket/poncho? Or a combination of any of the above?

The more I begin to plan out my gear, the more questions and doubts that I have. Any additional advice from seasoned pilgrims is greatly appreciated!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My thoughts on clothing for a summer Camino are here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...id-not-for-a-summer-camino.31137/#post-269857

August to early September would, if anything, probably be hotter than July to early August. I was fine just using a rain jacket as outerwear if it got cold at night. Save the weight of a fleece. My wife loved her fleece. YMMV.

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

Thank you, Jo Jo! Your list is exactly something I have been looking for.

Have you heard of rain, maybe in Galicia, during this time frame?

Thanks! :)

I found it warm enough in August on the Camino to wear shorts everyday and the only occasion to wear a jacket would have been in the evening when out and about. If that vest you have is fleece, I imagine that paired with a long sleeve shirt would work fine. Also if by some chance you do get a little colder, layer your rain jacket over that.

I would say take a microfleece, my full zip one weighs only about 300g and takes hardly any room, great for layering if it should get cool ... but if you worry about bulkiness or don't want to bring a fleece, one of my most loved pieces of kit is a pertex wind jacket. It weighs very little, packs down to hardly anything, will take wind chill off in the hills and mountains, keep you from getting sunburn and works well as an extra layer over a vest top on a warm evening. Mine is a Rab Wisp, but there are loads of different ones out there - look for pertex jackets for cycling or jogging! Very light and colourful which can be good for roadside walking.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
A synthetic insulated jacket is useful. I started roughly a week before you last year and I took an Arcteryx Alpha LT (394g) with me. I only used it a handful of times but was grateful I had it with me for those occasional early starts. I now have a Berghaus Hypertherm hoody which weighs 212g and packs into the size of a large apple which I'll take on my next Camino.

Have you heard of rain, maybe in Galicia, during this time frame?
I haven't heard that it rained yet when you plan to walk;) However, there are good climate sites, like http://www.la-coruna.climatemps.com/ that indicate that on average there are about 8 or 9 wet days a month in Aug/Sep. You could be very lucky, and get few rainy days, but clearly that is uncertain!

I am walking my first camino this summer in June/July and am debating if I need to bring a light jacket or not. I have a poncho for rain gear...nothing fancy, just a basic nylon one that snaps on the sides that should cover me and my pack. I don't have rain pants but figure my zip-off pants will be enough in the warm weather. I'm planning to take a fleece and 1 long-sleeved technical shirt for walking so not sure if the jacket would be necessary for warmth. Do I need a jacket or will the poncho be enough?
Lisa

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I am walking my first camino this summer in June/July . . . I'm planning to take a fleece and 1 long-sleeved technical shirt for walking so not sure if the jacket would be necessary for warmth. Do I need a jacket or will the poncho be enough?
Lisa

Irisvold,

Based on my experience, a fleece and a long sleeved shirt (I hope for sun protection) would be more than enough. My wife who took a fleece and poncho never even needed to wear both at the same time.

Ultreia,
Jo Jo

A good thing about a down or synthetic puff jacket is its doubling as a pillow.

I really wouldn't take a down jacket for summer. You're going to be far more likely to get wet than cold enough for down and few down jackets cope well with rain. They are a pig to get dry again, they are horrible to wear in the wet unless it's really cold and will be far too warm if you're moving. Down clothing works best in cold, dry conditions and/or if you're going to be stationary a lot. And the waterproofing at best is nominal on an expense jacket or either non-existent or as breathable as a plastic bag on cheap ones.

Far better off spending the weight on a thin fleece and a waterproof jacket. A decent Gore Tex or eVent jacket weighs next to nothing these days and good for both wind and rain. Pertex is probably lighter but I've never found it as good in the rain.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.