• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Outerwear

Judymiddle

Time of past OR future Camino
September (2017) April (2019)
I start the Camino Fraces on April 10th from SJPP so I’m in the process of finalizing my clothing options. I’m taking a poncho that covers my pack down to mid-calf. I had been planning on taking a lightweight rain jacket but now I’m wondering if I should take my packable down jacket and leave rain jacket at home since I have the poncho - or take both? I’m taking lightweight wool layers. Thank you for any suggestions and/or experience you can provide. I can’t believe my Camino is less than a month away!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I start the Camino Fraces on April 10th from SJPP so I’m in the process of finalizing my clothing options. I’m taking a poncho that covers my pack down to mid-calf. I had been planning on taking a lightweight rain jacket but now I’m wondering if I should take my packable down jacket and leave rain jacket at home since I have the poncho - or take both? I’m taking lightweight wool layers. Thank you for any suggestions and/or experience you can provide. I can’t believe my Camino is less than a month away!
Hi,
You might be very glad of the down jacket. If you have a poncho, why would you need a rain jacket also, and vice versa? The real upside of the poncho is a dry pack.
In summary, since you’re asking: bring the down, leave either the poncho or rain jacket home. (But really, I’d say, bring the poncho.)
Have a wonderful Camino,
Paul

Hi,
You might be very glad of the down jacket. If you have a poncho, why would you need a rain jacket also, and vice versa? The real upside of the poncho is a dry pack.
In summary, since you’re asking: bring the down, leave either the poncho or rain jacket home. (But really, I’d say, bring the poncho.)
Have a wonderful Camino,
Paul
⬆️What @Paul McAmino said 😊

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
It is a quandary. The other view is that a lightweight jacket is also useful on cold mornings as a windbreak and another decent layer of insulation. But then you maybe have to think about legs during the rainy times , even with a poncho legs can get wet . So my thought then revolves around rain trousers Vs rain kilt Vs long gaiters Last time I stuck with rain kilt (never used), jacket and a cover for the rucksack. next time I may use poncho and long (but very thin waterproof) gaiters. Oh, and with a poncho the straps of the knapsack are also protected.

We're also starting from SJPdP on April 10. Most of my family members have wool issues. We're going to layer a long sleeve technical shirt, short sleeve technical shirt, regular shirt, with a polar fleece jacket as required. We have rain jacket and pants, which can be used as an extra layer for warmth if needed.

We were recently in the mountains, down to 39 degrees, and everyone was fine with 2 layers and the fleece jacket.

It just seems we need... more. I think of a wintry Ibeneta pass and I suddenly picture an Everest base camp and hikers wearing crampons and carrying ice picks, with wind-burned faces and frozen beards and mustaches.

I’m basing this on my own experience, but I would take the down jacket and the rain jacket and leave the poncho at home. I hemmed and hawed over taking my packable down jacket but I didn’t (and regretted it!) and had to buy a fleece in Portomorin. I bought a cheap poncho a day before entering Galicia so didn’t have to carry it with me and only used it for a few days. Bottom line is, I got FAR more use out if my rain jacket than I did my poncho, and you can always buy a poncho along the way if you need one. For reference, I walked between Sept. 6 to Oct. 7.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Why a poncho if you have a rain jacket? If you choose the puffy and poncho remember the sleeves of your puffy may not be waterproof and soggy puff's are miserable to wear I know from my experience. May want to wait till you arrive and purchase an Altus poncho/rain jacket or purchase them on line ahead of time.. Our next Camino that is what I am planning on doing.

Poncho and down jacket - no rain jacket.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I second ShaLaw. I walked during the same time frame she did. I valued my down jacket, rain jacket and rain pants which also covered the ankle of my boots. Very helpful to keep water out ( and for warmth) Yes, with the pack cover, the pack straps .... got wet, but all of the contents were in water proof dry bags and Ziplock bags so that that was not a problem for me. Buen Camino whatever you choose.

I'm starting on April 7 and will be taking a lightweight gore tex rain jacket, pancho (purchased in St jean last year), and a extremely lightweight synthetic down jacket. Based on my experiences from last year, you can use all 3...lots of rain and temps as low as 36 degrees. My pancho extends over my pack and covers most of my legs, eliminating the need for rain pants. My rain jacket wetted out last yr, so the pancho was a necessity.

I live and hike in the Pacific North West where it cold and wet a lot of the time. We walked our Camino in the winter of 2016 with over 20 days of snow, sleet, hail and rain. I pack the same for every Camino. quick dry convertible pants 2 t shirt , 1 long sleeve merino wool shirt with 3/4 zip, a light weight fleece and rain jacket. I carried a poncho only for emergency shelter during 2 days of storm. I wear easily removable layers. The temps ranged -4 C to 10 C.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Regardless of what you wear to protect yourself from the rain, when you walk, you WILL perspire...a lot. You will become wet with your own perspiration even if your rain gear prevents you from being rained on. Parkas with pit zips help, but do not eliminate the problem.

In this instance, do you REALLY want to be wearing down? Down makes sense if you are walking in very cold but dry weather, or perhaps in the evening if there is no heat in an albergue. But, elsewise, you may be sorry you relied on down to keep you warm when it gets wet.

This is why most of us veterans, wear either a microfiber fleece or merino wool as our "keep warm layer." Both will insulate when wet, and dry out fast. Both do not stink after repeated wearings. Both can be hand-washed, wrung out, and line dried as the need occurs.

I only advise down if it is in a sleeping bag, where it can be kept scrupulously dry at all times.

In most years, I walk during April and May. I usually wear a light, short sleeve, t-shirt or polo shirt. If I am cold, I put my Columbia zip-up fleece jacket on (level 100 is adequate, and level 200 fleece is more than enough). Level 300 fleece is too hot and bulky, IMHO. Carry a brightly (neon - safety) colored microfiber watch cap and runner's gloves to keep hands and heat warm as needed. I get these items in a runner's store.

Read the product descriptions. The better brands will tell you the level, wither in the description or the style name (e.g. Adventure 100...or Stay Warm 200...)

Over that, on a windy day, or if the rain is a sporadic drizzle, I wear my Marmot parka with pit-zips. I wear my sun hat as the larger brim keeps the light precipitation off my eyeglasses.

Once the rain is sustained and constant, even as a drizzle, I KNOW I will be getting wet from rain. So, then I add my Sea to Summit Siliconized Nylon 'body condom' poncho to everything. Also, I switch my sun hat for a ball cap, as this prevents excess water from running around my head and down my back, under the poncho hood.

This all ensures my rucksack stays dry, and prevents more rain from getting in and soaking me. Rain from the outside is also COLD. Cold is bad.

However, all this layering ensures that my perspiration remains close to my body. When I get where I am going for the day, everything needs to be dried.

One final thought and truism to leave you with: "Warm and wet is not bad, and is sometimes very good... However cold and wet is NEVER good..." You might be uncomfortable while sweating, but it beats hypothermia.

Hope this helps.

Poncho for the road and packable down for after the walk..

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back