• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Outlets for charging

Janetlm

Time of past OR future Camino
French Way September 2017
what type of outlets are available in the hostels? I am coming from the USA and I have an iPhone and iwatch.
Do I need an outlet adapter and a power converter?
Thanks

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
what type of outlets are available in the hostels? I am coming from the USA and I have an iPhone and iwatch.
Thanks

Hi Janetlm,

This is all I have used at the albergues where I've stayed along the Camino del Norte, VDLP and Camino Sanabrés and it's very reasonably priced:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HVKR92Y/?tag=casaivar02-20

It hasn't failed me at all, and I too, had my iPhone and iWatch:)

Ultreïa!

I use a similar device. European plug to USB and use your own USB cable. Make sure the USB are rated for 2.1 amps or more as 1 amp outlets are not sufficient for the newer phones and tablets.

One other thing I do is to buy a 3 meter (10 foot) USB cable so I can use outlets farther away from the bed and keep my device (phone/tablet/camera) with me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Bring a solar panel.

There are not many outlets and there is much demand.

You need a type C plug adapter. The converter that comes with your iPhone will likely work with 240V 50 cycles but check your manual.

http://www.worldstandards.eu/electricity/plugs-and-sockets/

Remember too that Spain has gone 'green' with wind turbines and solar so electricity is VERY expensive. Consider leaving your electronics at home.

Remember too that Spain has gone 'green' with wind turbines and solar so electricity is VERY expensive.
It's amazing how much 'free' energy costs isn't it. They're building the 'biggest' wind-farm in the world (don't believe it for a moment) off my coast. The £bill would make Microsoft wince and the environmental cost - well, the cost to my local environment - is a 100m wide scar through a national park that will take a thousand years to heal.

Please consider leaving your electronics at home. Every time I went walkabout in the 60's & 70's my postcards got home before I did ;)

Go ahead and bring your iPhone and iWatch. No need to leave them at home and I certainly wouldn't recommend you do so for green reasons whilst I am tapping away on an electronic device. o_O
They come in handy for keeping in touch with family at home and letting them know you are okay and of course the iPhone has its own camera.
I always carried two adapters (was traveling once and lost mine and was kinda a pain to find another one) with me while walking the Camino. You can get them anywhere and they are not expensive, not to mention they are a non-issue weight wise.
and never leave your electronics unattended in an albergue and don't forget them in there and walk off in the morning....as many pilgrims do
ultreia
88005670-04.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Please consider leaving your electronics at home. Every time I went walkabout in the 60's & 70's my postcards got home before I did ;)
Leaving your devices at home means:

1. Not being able to call 112 in case lf an emergency
2. Not being able to call the hospy when you arrive at the albergue and they ask you call them when you do to come on over and let you in.
3. Not being able to contact your health insurance provider.
4. Not being able to contact the airline in case you meed to change your flight plans.
5. Not being able to find a taxi phone number and call them when your knee explosed alomg the Camino and you need to be picked up.
6. Not being able to make calls to find a bed when all is booked, or book the night before if you thought about doing it.

Public phine cabins are a rarity these days.

Yup. Couldn't do any of that; but survived.

Carry a basic 'phone for sure these days - its how the world works - my point was in regard to the environmental and fiscal costs of our comforts. The OP's original question had been answered - you need a compatible plug.

They come in handy for keeping in touch with family at home and letting them know you are okay and of course the iPhone has its own camera.

The converse to that is if you don't have a cell phone they can't call you either.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I often take a small rechargeable battery pack with USB adapter. For those times when the socket isn't close by and you don't want to sit by it. Little bit of extra weight is the trade off.
Duncan

That is very clever. Do I need the outlet adapter? I'm doing the French way.

Not at all! This is the only thing you need, nothing else, no extra weight! If you notice, it already has the correct prongs for all outlets in Spain:)

Ultreïa!

Mary

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would like to take this opportunity to remind pilgrims that those people who often are referred to as not being "real pilgrims" (i.e. people staying in private rooms instead of albergues) have outlets galore in their rooms. I'm sure they would more than happily allow you to plug in your phone behind their locked door while you take them across the street to buy them a beer.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Does that also work in Britain, Ireland, Scotland? Or just Continental Europe?
no that one won't work in the uk or Ireland. You will need a three pin plug however, If you are seriously stuck you can shove something in the earth terminal of the socket and it open the positive and negative terminals and it will just about shove into it. Not recommended unless you absolutely are sure of which is the earth terminal otherwise electrocution is a possibility. On the other hand you can get the same devices with multiple swapable plug adaptors which work well. Like this one https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B011KPRE1G/?tag=casaivar-21

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks

I have some similar questions about outlets and re-charging. But first a word about cultural background. Here in the USA... restaurants, libraries and coffee shops often have "charging stations" that are already set up for you to re-charge your devices. It's expected you would spend time at the establishment re-charging and using your technology. It's not a struggle for you to search for an outlet, or to bend over to reach an outlet on the floor or in the corner wall, or to maneuver your gear to point a certain direction, or to negotiate time and sharing with someone else. It's a charging station and it's built into a protected shelf on a table with good chairs at the table and small lighting overhead. Obviously the table cannot be very close to window glare or you won't be able to see your screen properly. Of course carpeting would be minimized and floor and wall colors are muted. So it's not just an outlet, it's furniture and room architecture that's being altered because of the way we use technology now. These indoor cafes and coffee shops are like movie theatre lobbies now. Of course, many places don't have this in the USA yet. And they won't attract as many middle class and affluent customers under age 32 as those places which do offer charging stations. It's as though the homo sapien needs re-charging, and not just the batteries.

How common is it to find a "charging station" at the albergues? How common are these charging stations in bars or cafes? This question is mainly for the Frances route.

Now let's talk about regular normal outlets that aren't charging stations at the albergues. If there are 20-30 beds, there are 20-30 outlets, right? And if there is an outlet that's available, then you can plug in your device and use the device from your bed while re-charging, right? I mean, a cord is often only 1 meter, so the outlet is a meter away, right? Or perhaps there are no outlets near the bed because the outlets are in a common area? And then there are enough chairs to babysit your gear while re-charging?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Understanding what's out there is helpful in making choices about adapters, cords, battery packs, waterproof protection, carrying cases, etc.

Now let's talk about regular normal outlets that aren't charging stations at the albergues. If there are 20-30 beds, there are 20-30 outlets, right? Sorry if these are dumb questions.

I cannot remember any dedicated "charging stations" of the type you describe anywhere on my Camino Frances walk last year. And your assumption that there will be an outlet for each bed is also way off the mark I'm afraid. It is true in many of the private albergues which often provide a little more by way of comfort for pilgrims. But albergues may sometimes have only two or three outlets in a dorm with 20-30 beds. A small number appear to have taken a deliberate decision not to provide them and have none at all in the sleeping areas - and often a very small number in the other public areas.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I cannot remember any dedicated "charging stations" of the type you describe anywhere on my Camino Frances walk last year. And your assumption that there will be an outlet for each bed is also way off the mark I'm afraid. It is true in many of the private albergues which often provide a little more by way of comfort for pilgrims. But albergues may sometimes have only two or three outlets in a dorm with 20-30 beds. A small number appear to have taken a deliberate decision not to provide them and have none at all in the sleeping areas - and often a very small number in the other public areas.

Thank you, that's really great information to have!

New albergues may have one outlet per bed, older ones may have one or two in the hallway, or next to the bathroom sink (for shavers).

But in general, I have always managed to charge things somewhere...

I carry a cpap and have never gone without being able to plug in. Although last night they did have to relocate me to a seperate bldg with its own loo & shower in a medieval church ( the Camino sometimes provides upgrades) .. get a cheap adapter or two ( I duct tape one to the end of an extension cord so I do not forget it in the early morning silent scramble ). You will be fine.. Buen Camino

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Please be considerate if your charger or cord lite up. Cover the lite with a bit of tape as not to bother others while sleeping. Don't charge under pillow. Fire hazard.

Thanks
The power supplies for modern smartphones and tablets are universal, so they will work in Spain, although you will need the European style plug adapter. I concur with the advice to buy a charger that has the plug adapters built in and USB ports. Power outlets can be in short supply, so having a unit that allows you to share an outlet is handy and friendly.

And don't worry about the "leave your devices at home" advice. You do what you need to do. The vast majority of people I walked with had a device, and none had their heads buried in it. Most used it to communicate with family back home. That's what I did. They also came in mighty handy to make reservations at the next alburgue.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I have been constantly refining my mobile phone charging solution over four Caminos, and multiple other trips to Europe and Asia. Over time, my solution has constantly evolved and gotten smaller.

My iPhone charging kit also charges my Bose in-ear noise canceling earphones for the plane ride. The iPhone uses a lightning cable. The earphones require micro USB. Easy peasy. Here is my entire charging kit:

1. Apple, Euro charger - flat like a Zippo cigarette lighter.

I bought mine while in Spain. You can find them in an Apple shop in Madrid, or at El Corte Ingles department stores in cities along the Camino). It already comes with the two Shucko type pins to plug it in. NO adapter or converter needed.

2. Euro to US pin converter - same as the other way round, but reversed.

I use this adaptor plug in airports in the US or Canada. It converts the two round Schuko pins to the two flat bladed pins we use in North America for our electronics.

FYI, airplane power outlets accommodate BOTH the US and Euro (Schuko) plug pins. Usually, no adapter is needed on the plane.

My operating theory is that it is easier on a daily basis to switch to being on the European electrical standard as soon as I get on the plane in the US, and to remain on it until I get off the plane five or six weeks later. It involves less bits to get lost.

3. One double headed charging cable, lightning AND micro USB tips.

Be careful of inexpensive clones. I find the best are available from Belkin, or in Europe from Hema, the German electronic maker of cables etc., not the bargain shop. My cable is from Belkin. It is one-meter long. One end has a USB plug. the other has a removable lightning tip, attached to the other micro USB tip. As the tips are attached by a silicone cord, they cannot easily become lost.

This entire charging kit rides in a small (3" x 5"), but study ziplock bag in the outer cargo pocket of my hiking pants. Where I go, this charging kit goes...period! The entire kit weights less than 100 gm.

4. Final item, a 3-outlet "cube tap" for use sharing outlets as needed.

I buy these as I need them for about € 3 in the first or any Asian, Oriental, or China Bazaar shop I come to. These shops, typically run by Asian folks, can be found in most larger towns, and all cities. They sell EVERYTHING, at low prices. Most of their inventory is made in China. But it suffices for the purpose.

This 3-way tap, to share outlets is already in the Euro, 3-pin standard. I toss the 3-way cube tap into an outer picket of my rucksack

You CAN also find more expensive versions of the same items in any ferreteria (hardware store) or at said El Corte Ingles department store across northern Spain.

This last items is also a conversation starter and ice breaker for friendships and free drinks...;)

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
How common is it to find a "charging station" at the albergues? How common are these charging stations in bars or cafes? This question is mainly for the Frances route.

Now let's talk about regular normal outlets that aren't charging stations at the albergues. If there are 20-30 beds, there are 20-30 outlets, right? And if there is an outlet that's available, then you can plug in your device and use the device from your bed while re-charging, right? I mean, a cord is often only 1 meter, so the outlet is a meter away, right? Or perhaps there are no outlets near the bed because the outlets are in a common area? And then there are enough chairs to babysit your gear while re-charging?

Sorry if these are dumb questions.

Understanding what's out there is helpful in making choices about adapters, cords, battery packs, waterproof protection, carrying cases, etc.
In new albergues, you will often find a plug by each bed, including the upper bunk. This way you can recharge, and use, your device while resting, napping, or sleeping at night. There might be a small floating shelf accomodating this, or a pouch on the wall in which to put the devices while they charge, and while you sleep, used as a night table.

In other albergues, you will find a couple of plugs per room, the same way you would in your home if your decided to turn it into an albergue. In that case, you supervise your device while it is charging, keeping an eye on it from your bunk as you rest. It's in these cases that dual USB plugs come in hany for people to share.

On this walk I have charged devices in the afternoon in the lounge of albergues, by my bed, or down a few beds. Plug in when you arrive, and unplug as soon as you are done for others to use the plugs.

I have never given a second thought to the length of thr cables, I bring the standard cables that came with my devices.

I carry a cpap and have never gone without being able to plug in. Although last night they did have to relocate me to a seperate bldg with its own loo & shower in a medieval church ( the Camino sometimes provides upgrades) .. get a cheap adapter or two ( I duct tape one to the end of an extension cord so I do not forget it in the early morning silent scramble ). You will be fine.. Buen Camino
Good to know. I'm a CPAP user too.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Now let's talk about regular normal outlets that aren't charging stations at the albergues.
Some specific answers to your questions below:

If there are 20-30 beds, there are 20-30 outlets, right? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

And if there is an outlet that's available, then you can plug in your device and use the device from your bed while re-charging, right?
Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I mean, a cord is often only 1 meter, so the outlet is a meter away, right? Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

Or perhaps there are no outlets near the bed because the outlets are in a common area? And then there are enough chairs to babysit your gear while re-charging?
Usually no.

Sorry if these are dumb questions. No, not dumb, but there is no simple answer. Every albergue is different, but you will virtually always find a way to get your phone charged. My advice would be to take:
  • Simple little plug adapter to connect your US flat pin charger to the Euro round pin plug. Duct-tape it to your charger; otherwise you will likely leave it behind somewhere.
  • Better alternative is to buy a European charger with at least 2 USB ports. (You can buy it in Spain after you lose your plug adapter!)
  • Cable about 1 m long. (A really short one can be awkward at times but you don't want to carry extra length.)
  • If you have heavy battery consumption (for example with mapping apps, etc) you might want to take a portable power bank as a back-up to top up your phone during the day. Also you can charge the power bank in the albergue with less concern about theft, and then charge your phone from it later.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
One other thing I do is to buy a 3 meter (10 foot) USB cable so I can use outlets farther away from the bed and keep my device (phone/tablet/camera) with me.

I also brought a 10 foot long USB cable, which usually made it possible for my phone to be at my bed. On the rare occasions when that wasn't possible I charged my phone from my portable charger I brought with me.

^^^^^^^ this will increase your chances of being included in the Darwin Awards. ☠️
exactly....and people wonder why there are placards in front of electric fans saying not to put your fingers into the blades...it's because someone did

I would like to take this opportunity to remind pilgrims that those people who often are referred to as not being "real pilgrims" (i.e. people staying in private rooms instead of albergues) have outlets galore in their rooms. I'm sure they would more than happily allow you to plug in your phone behind their locked door while you take them across the street to buy them a beer.
heck, I'd buy you a beer anyway...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I will be walking the Frances starting in September of this year and will also be using a CPAP. Did you need an extension cord and if so where did you get it and how long (I am in USA)?

Without a doubt lol

I will be walking the Frances starting in September of this year and will also be using a CPAP. Did you need an extension cord and if so where did you get it and how long (I am in USA)?
Hi Mark Barnes, A friend of mine who has walked the Frances a couple of times has sleep apnea took a Transend II machine which weighs 2.1 kg (about 5 lbs), as suggested by his doctor. It is about the size of a can of Coke. The hospitaleros ensured that he was close to a power point and on a bottom bunk, and even provided power extension cords if necessary. He used it in France and Spain with no problems

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Oops, meant to also ask, Doesn't the mophie literally take all day to re-charge fully?

Yes!

The Mophie XXL is large - it lasts 3 days without charging, recharging my phone a couple times a day, and my little camera and my apple watch daily. But it takes about 10 hours at the faster USB charging speed to recharge, so I would arrive at the hostel with my devices fully charged and plug the Mophie into the wall with my 4 USB outlet - so I could share with others - and leave it plugged in all night. (There were always empty outlets available so I felt okay about leaving it plugged in all night)

I loved loved loved the Mophie!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I may be ignorant but wondered whether one could carry a solar charger on the backpack and load a back up battery whilst walking? Or any other energy-tapping gadget ?:eek:
That might make sense if electrical outlets were scarce, but I don't think that they are worth the extra weight, and it takes a looong time for them to get a full charge if relying on the sun alone. You can quickly charge a backup battery at the albergue.
I'm sure that as the technology improves the solar chargers will become lighter weight and faster charging.

I may be ignorant but wondered whether one could carry a solar charger on the backpack and load a back up battery whilst walking? Or any other energy-tapping gadget ?:eek:

I bought a small folding 7W solar panel with USB charging socket last year. Closes to about a 15cm square and weighs very little. Not so much for use on the caminos where I usually can find a power socket but for my other walking trips. Used it recently on Gran Canaria and I was very pleased with it. Having near-constant intense sun probably helped :) Tied it to the top of my rucksack and ran a long USB cable under my shirt to the trouser pocket where I keep my phone.
savfy.jpg

I bought a small folding 7W solar panel with USB charging socket last year. Closes to about a 15cm square and weighs very little. Not so much for use on the caminos where I usually can find a power socket but for my other walking trips. Used it recently on Gran Canaria and I was very pleased with it. Having near-constant intense sun probably helped :) Tied it to the top of my rucksack and ran a long USB cable under my shirt to the trouser pocket where I keep my phone.
View attachment 33384

Awesome! How long did it take to charge the phone with the 7w panel in bright sun?

Yes!

The Mophie XXL is large - it lasts 3 days without charging, recharging my phone a couple times a day, and my little camera and my apple watch daily. But it takes about 10 hours at the faster USB charging speed to recharge, so I would arrive at the hostel with my devices fully charged and plug the Mophie into the wall with my 4 USB outlet - so I could share with others - and leave it plugged in all night. (There were always empty outlets available so I felt okay about leaving it plugged in all night)

I loved loved loved the Mophie!

Sorry if this is a dumb question. The mophie can re-charge itself by plugging directly into an electric outlet, right? But it also recharges by plugging into a USB? It's both ways, right?

Hard to say. I normally prefer to keep it topped up regularly

As most would do .
We are only walking 8 hours max............how much discharge ?
And all would know how long to recharge.

Plug it in , visit a cafe/bar with fellow pilgrims /walkers/tourists and then return.
If not full return to cafe , enjoy the Spanish hospitality in these little/ large villages.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Sorry if this is a dumb question. The mophie can re-charge itself by plugging directly into an electric outlet, right? But it also recharges by plugging into a USB? It's both ways, right?

The recharge is through a usb connection to a plug that goes into an outlet. You wouldn't want to charge a battery like this on a computer usb.

When purchasing a Spanish plug with USB look for one that offers you 2.4 amps per port. Many two-port chargers provide only 2.4 amps total, not per port simultaneously, so you need to look at specs carefully.

1 amp charges a cell phone and smart phone and small battery backup
2.4 amp charges your iPhone faster, and charges tablets and larger battery backups

Buen Camino

Most phones have a power saving mode. Yes?
Also gotta be a few other ways to extend battery life.
Just google you phone model + power saving tips

I purchase a European charger on Amazon for $12.00 - It has two ports, for iPhone or Android. It works great, charges fast using your regular cord.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I hardly ever had a problem finding an outlet in the albergues. When I was first showed into the bunk room of the albergue, I got good at looking for outlets near a bed that was open. And, after accidentally leaving many adapters behind in the previous albergue, I realized others do that too, which means the hospitalero most likely can give you a replacement from one that got left there the night before!

A bit of wise advice I picked up on this board was that it's worthwhile to get a multi port usb charger. That way, if there's just one available outlet you can share it with others.

Good way to make friends in life is by being helpful to others.

Other things I also looked for:

- 40 w service with 2 amp power in all ports. That way, iPads and phones all can be charged at once at maximum (otherwise tablets charge painfully slowly);
- picking a model with an AC cord rather than just prongs sticking out of the unit. The problem with the latter is that once you add the euro adapter, it no longer plugs in flush to the wall. Thus a good chance of it falling out in the night.
- bright colour and light weight.

Here's the five-port model I went with, FYI:

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01AW8I8CG/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.