• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Over 1,300 km pilgrimage on skates

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
abc.es

Andres Villar, civil guard in the town of Noia A Coruña, earned a pilgrim's badge today after traveling on skates along the Camino de Santiago from Toulouse (France) by road.

The pilgrimage began eleven days ago and was divided into different stages, some of them reaching 150 to 160 miles a day, and, in the rain, Villar arrived today just after 10.45 hours to the emblematic Plaza del Obradoiro, the most famous facade the Cathedral of Santiago.
Speaking to EFE, said that since 1993, he tried to complete the feat with his skates in all holy years, but had to leave all of them for lack of support, with no support vehicles that carry your luggage, and various injuries scratches on the back and shoulders.
"In 1993 Xacobeo I could not finish the way, because I was alone and had no support vehicles. I tried in 1999, the last Holy Year of the twentieth century, but a back injury prevented me," lamented Villar, who added that his attempt to 2004, the first Holy Year XXI century, failed again by injuries and lack of means.
"In the end, thanks to the Municipality of Ribeira (A Coruña), sponsor of this initiative, which supported me in everything I had no problem because the physical was almost secondary, it is more an illusion than anything else," declared Civil Guard and a former professor of rescue mountain.
He recalled how "harsh" rise to the Cruz de Ferro, Leon, and the rise to do Cebreiro Pedrafita port in Lugo, that faced with "very cold" and "several falls."
To reach the target considered necessary ingredients "50 percent physical," and another "50 percent of the head", he said
During the more than 1,300 kilometer there were "no hassle" due to the few vehicles on the road, the cars traveling "on highways," he said.
Sometimes, to entertain, he devoted himself to count the cars, but sometimes a single one crossed his path

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A support vehicle for skates; did it carry extra wheels and bearings, or just the WD-40? Next a skateboard? Then someone spinning a hula hoop? The Guinness Book of Records will be the death of decorum and reverence in my lifetime (I fear).

Give him a break!
He finally acheived his dream - after 17 years of trying! Unless he is an old man now, he must have been a kid when he first tried in 1993. I give him 10-out-of10 for perseverence!

PS: I'm sure medieval pilgrims would have been viewed the bicycle with the same derision!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oihana wrote in OP: "...along the Camino de Santiago from Toulouse (France) by road." which I understand he wasn't skating ON the official Camino trail but on tarmac roads parallel to it. Maybe I'm mistaken and @sillydoll should explain that.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Oihana wrote in OP: "...along the Camino de Santiago from Toulouse (France) by road." which I understand he wasn't skating ON the official Camino trail but on tarmac roads parallel to it. Maybe I'm mistaken and @sillydoll should explain that.

This may not matter in theoretical terms as there is no official Camino trail as such. If a pilgrim is walking, riding, or wheeling along under their own energy, then whatever trail they are on becomes the Camino. In practical terms, the parallel tarmac, or bikers' route, would make a great difference, both for stability as well as for encountering other pilgrims. As Bradypus notes, the usual waymarked foot trail would be dangerous in parts for a skater.

This may not matter in theoretical terms as there is no official Camino trail as such. If a pilgrim is walking, riding, or wheeling along under their own energy, then whatever trail they are on becomes the Camino. In practical terms, the parallel tarmac, or bikers' route, would make a great difference, both for stability as well as for encountering other pilgrims. As Bradypus notes, the usual waymarked foot trail would be dangerous in parts for a skater.
I agree completely.
Just want to add that by "official" Camino I meant marked Camino.

PS: I'm sure medieval pilgrims would have been viewed the bicycle with the same derision!

Medieval pilgrims would have thought a bike was great, and a car even better!

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back