A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

See the full Camino Forum Store here with many more camino products.

Over $11,000 has been donated to help albergues!

jirit

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
The Victoria chapter of the Canadian Company of Pilgrims has been leading a very successful fund raising campaign.

Covid Camino.jpg

Here is the latest update from them:....

Your donations to the "Stay Home Covid Camino" continue to come by cheque to our door or by etransfer to the Chapter bank account or by PayPal to the Chapter. Every little bit is making a difference to the albergues in Spain and Portugal and to some small businesses that are really suffering. We want all the albergues and businesses to still be there once we are able to get on planes and walk again.

The latest news is that the Camino is now open to Spanish residents. The Pilgrim Office and the Cathedral in Santiago opened on July 1. Here is a note from Mike at the La Rosa del Agua in El Acebo:
First of all I´m very happy to receive your email and thank you very much for your help. In the last few days we have served 6 or 7 pilgrims as they pass by La Rosa del Agua. It's only a trickle but it has been emotional to see them. They are mostly Spanish but some other nationalities as well but not traveling from beyond Spain as of yet, as they are all Spanish residents.

And from Silvana & Mónica at the Ideas Peregrinas in Tui on the Camino Portugése, we received this note last week:
We are very grateful with your contribution, we received the funds in our Paypal account. Really thanks.
For the moment there are only a few persons on the Camino. Next first July will open the border with Portugal so we expect Pilgrims come back to the Camino at least at these months.
We hope see you in the future on The Portugues Camino.

And another that is representative of albergues on the Camino Francés:
What a lovely surprise! Perfect timing as I had the yearly anti-bedbug and Legionela treatment done yesterday which is a big ticket item and my new mattress covers came in last week.

And we're getting some good feedback when people receive their badges. One badge is sent to the albergue receiving the donation and one is sent to each donor.
Lee Tolman, owner of the Albergue Villares de Órbigo sent me this picture:
We will continue to send money to albergues in need as the renovations, new materials and regulations are expensive and fewer pilgrims will be allowed in any albergue, which means fewer donations.

We have chosen the albergues from those listed in the Camino Forum and also from Sybille Yates website. And YOU have also made some suggestions of favourite albergues or those that you've heard might need help. Please continue to send those suggestions.

Kelowna and Calgary have also joined us and their fundraising is part of our $11,000+. If you would like to donate, just read below for specifics. And remember, you will receive this great badge that you can sew onto your backpack.

You can donate by sending funds by etransfer to our chapter or by PayPal to info@victoriacamino.ca, or by cheque. For those unfamiliar with sending funds by email, here are some brief instructions:
  1. Go to your online banking site and login
  2. Where you would normally pay bills and transfer funds, look for Interac e-transfer
  3. The NAME you want to send to is Victoria Chapter - CCoP
  4. The email is info@victoriacamino.ca (you can leave mobile number blank)
  5. Please note your mailing address in the notes section so that we can mail you a badge.
For those who would prefer to use a cheque, please make it out to “Victoria Chapter CCoP” and mail to Jim Rondeau at 7096 Central Saanich Rd, Saanichton BC, V8M 1Y3, or Mary Virtue, 78 Linden Ave., Victoria BC V8V 4C8.
Any donation is appreciated but suggestions include one day’s worth of room and board, (approximately 25 Euros about $40) or a euro for every albergue you stayed in on your Camino. We hope to raise the necessary funds to keep these albergues alive and allow the Camino to reopen safely in the future.
We do not have charitable status, so regrettably, cannot issue tax receipts.
As added incentive for your participation we will be providing one Covid Camino fun badge (see above) for every $25.00 or greater donation.

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Camino(s) past & future
(2009): Camino Frances
(2011): Sevilla-Salamanca, VdlP
(2012): Salamanca-SdC, VdlP
(2014): SJpdP-Astorga
(2015): Astorga-SdC
(2016) May Pamplona-Moratinos; Sept.:Burgos-SdC
(2016): August/Sept: Camino San Olav (Burgos-Covarubbias), Burgos-Sarria
(2017): May: Portuguese; Sept: Pamplona-SdC
All that can help is good. Thank you for your effort. I feel very much for the people along the Caminos, I have tried, in my own little way, to sprinkle some of my pension money to various sites along the camino (frances, where much of my heart is). I hope for my return (many) when things have calmed down more.

LTfit

Veteran Member
What a lovely surprise! Perfect timing as I had the yearly anti-bedbug and Legionela treatment done yesterday which is a big ticket item and my new mattress covers came in last week.

That's from me and as I don't see the picture I sent here it is:

DSC_0043.JPG

I am so grateful to the Canadian chapter but also to all those from this Forum who have supported me over the past few months. 🙏

I hope to pass the kindness on to each pilgrim that enters my Albergue💜

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia (May 2016)
C. Frances (Sept 2017)
Camino Portugues (June 2019)
I sent donations to a few of my favorite albergues. For selfish reasons, it's the least I can do if I hope to visit them again in the future.

mvirtue

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (99), del Norte (07), Frances (13)

View attachment 78257

I am so grateful to the Canadian chapter but also to all those from this Forum who have supported me over the past few months. 🙏

View attachment 78257

mvirtue

Camino(s) past & future
Frances (99), del Norte (07), Frances (13)
I'm so pleased you posted the picture. I've heard from several people who had donated, that they loved the personal touch and the words of thanks from you.
Stay safe.

jirit

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2007,
Via Francigena Italy, 2008,
Jakobsweg Austria 2010,
Camino Frances 2011,
Le Puy to Lourdes 2012,
Via de la Plata 2013,
Future:
Ökumenischer (Via Regia), Germany,
Lycian Way, Turkey
Quick update (Donations are nearly $15,000):

This week, we had enough donations to send money to 8 different albergues along the Camino Francés, the Camino Primitivo, Camino del Norte and the Ruta de la Plata. As we send money to Spain, we get a terrific 'feel good' and we wanted to share that with you. A couple of albergues have received a second donation from us and as you can see from the 'thank yous' below, the money and our gesture is so appreciated. We are, of course, still collecting donations (instructions at the bottom of the email). Most other chapters have jumped on board and that has increased our ability to help albergues and businesses which continue to really suffer during this time. We hope that by helping, just a little, we will find these albergues open when we are able to return to the Camino.
From Bruno in Moratinos on the Camino Francés

Hi friends, thank you very much for your help.
We are truly grateful to you for the help you give us. The situation is really difficult and unfortunately the promises of the state are not met. Media terrorism stopped the pilgrimage. Thanks to you and your sincere help we will continue confidently to offer refuge and refreshment to the few courageous pilgrims. Ultreya and Suseya,
Bruno and Anna
see you soon, bless

From Marina in Vega de Ribadesella on the Camino del Norte

Thanks so much... I don't have the words... I have discovered your new donation just now.
The experience of life I experience knows that "Bigger" than me provides....
...yes, it is like that
But I'm always totally surprised how
🌈😄✨

From Nicolás in Fontenonaya on the Camino Primitivo

Hello..!! Yes, I want to thank you for the donations you are making to the shelters that need help at this time, sincerely I am very grateful and the truth is that thanks to people like you we can survive. I have received your letter with the photo and the badge, I have been very excited to receive it, you are great people, a thousand thanks.
The pilgrims are gradually arriving at our albergue and the other albergues, but we are taking the necessary measures to have maximum security, the capacity of the albergues has been reduced between 50% and 75%, depending on the characteristics of each accommodation, but still, the shelters are not filling, between 5 and 6 pilgrims arrive a week here.
I hope to meet you one day and that you can come to visit our pilgrims' house, a very big hug from Asturias and again a thousand thanks for your help.

And from Fatima at San Pedro Romean, Camino Primitivo
Good morning, and thank you very much, I am very grateful and excited for such generosity and will be delighted that when you can freely enjoy the road and all its wonders ... I receive with a big hug in my albergue so many beautiful and wonderful people ... my infinite gratitude..and see you soon ....
Thank you, thank you ... my wish that very soon I can give you a hug full of gratitude ... and to be able to invite you to my albergue ... when possible do not hesitate to contact me, that with much affection will be received, without a doubt ... this really excites me ... thanksssssss
For those who want to follow more closely on what is happening on the Camino, Ivar Renke, who runs the Camino Forum, does a weekly update each Monday. In his last one, he said that about 200 pilgrims per day were at the Pilgrim Office for their Compostelas. If you do watch the video, please stay for the opera at the end. Maravilloso!
You can donate by sending funds by etransfer to our chapter or by PayPal to info@victoriacamino.ca, or by cheque. For those unfamiliar with sending funds by email, here are some brief instructions:
  1. Go to your online banking site and login
  2. Where you would normally pay bills and transfer funds, look for Interac e-transfer
  3. The NAME you want to send to is Victoria Chapter - CCoP
  4. The email is info@victoriacamino.ca (you can leave mobile number blank)
  5. Please note your mailing address in the notes section so that we can mail you a badge.
For those who would prefer to use a cheque, please make it out to “Victoria Chapter CCoP” and mail to Jim Rondeau at 7096 Central Saanich Rd, Saanichton BC, V8M 1Y3, or Mary Virtue, 78 Linden Ave., Victoria BC V8V 4C8.
Any donation is appreciated but suggestions include one day’s worth of room and board, (approximately 25 Euros about $40) or a euro for every albergue you stayed in on your Camino. We hope to raise the necessary funds to keep these albergues alive and allow the Camino to reopen safely in the future.
We do not have charitable status, so regrettably, cannot issue tax receipts.
As added incentive for your participation we will be providing one Covid Camino fun badge (see above) for every $25.00 or greater donation.
Thank you all for your generosity during the Covid Camino campaign. Be Safe.

Thread starter OLDER threads on this topic Forum Replies Date
D Announcements 4
ivar Announcements 5
C Announcements 2
D Announcements 4
ivar Announcements 9

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 54 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 196 15.1%
  • May

Votes: 323 24.9%
  • June

Votes: 94 7.2%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.9%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 373 28.8%
  • October

Votes: 156 12.0%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock