• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Over 200 pilgrims per day in St Jean

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
UPDATE FROM SANTIAGOBIS MEMBER:

Hi everyone,
I am in SJPP, spending the week welcoming and registering pilgrims who are starting their journeys over the Pyrenees into Spain.
We are welcoming huge numbers of pilgrims - over 200 per day for the last eight days. That is more than most days in June, July, and most of August.
If you are heading to SJPP in the next week, try to book in advance at Orisson or L'Esprit du Chemin albergue, or another hotel in SJPP for your first night. There has been a mad rush every night around 9pm to find beds for all the pilgrims who arrive on the last train from Bayonne.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
There did seem to be a large number of pilgrims in SJP & in Roncesvalles the past 2 days. Also the albergue in Larrasoana will be closed for three days starting tomorrow....some sort of festival. The private albergue in Zubiri filled up quickly today, but the municpal one is still accepting people.

Kelly

Oh, oh, I am planning on starting from Roncesvalles on Sept. 10th. I was hoping not to get into a rush for beds each night. Maybe walking slowly will not be so bad, if everyone else is walking stages and staying in the same albergues, I may avoid the rush.

I will try not to worry about finding a place to lay down my head each night and leave if up to the man upstairs.

Gailsie

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
There seems to be enough room. The gym in Zubiri did not fill up last night, even though people were still coming in as late as 8:30 pm. Personally, I would stop in Zubiri, as Larrasoana has very limited space.

Kelly

Thanks for the information Kelly, I was already planning on stopping in Zubiri as I did not think that I would manage the extra mileage on my first day. Hopefully I will be arriving in the afternoon. I have decided not to worry about a place to sleep and just take whatever comes my way.

Gailsie

Stats from St Jean
The Pilgrim Office located at No. 39 Rue de la Citadelle recorded 18 984 pilgrims by 19 July 2009, roughly the same number recorded the previous year.

The table below shows the numbers since 2007 and those of the 4 largest nationalities represented.

Year Total French Germans Spaniards Italians
2007 16956 4204 3365 1482 1527
2008 18762 4160 3893 1669 1680
2009 18984 4270 3063 2479 1565

The effect of the book by German Kerkeling has apparently dropped since the number of Germans fell in 2009 in large proportions. This is not a significant decrease in the overall numbers because there was a surge in the number of Spaniards. The number of French and Italians is stagnant since 2007.

From week 18 to week 23 (April 27 to June 7), numbers vary between 1350 and 1600 pilgrims per week, the peak of 1600 located the last week of May. Since then, from June 8 to July 19, the weekly number is between 930 and 1160 pilgrims, between 130 and 165 pilgrims per day.

87.5% of pilgrims are on foot;
72% of pilgrims begin the Way in St. Jean Pied de Port.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a reservation to stay at Orisson on Sept. 11. I think the earliest train from Bayonne to St. Jean Pied du Port is 15:05 and it arrives at 16:19. So I don't think I have enough time to walk that day. Does anyone know how much does it cost to take a taxi from San Sebastian airport to SJPP?

I may have to spend the money in order to get to SJPP earlier that day so I could walk to Orisson.

Thanks.

You walk up a quiet road route to get to Orisson from SJPP, so you could possibly just take a taxi from SJPP to get there once you arrive.
Margaret

On the http://www.expressbourricot.com/ website, caroline has her taxi charges on the site. If San Sebastian isn't on the list you can email her for a price at apcaroline@hotmail.com
She collects people from Airports, Train and bus stations:

Airports:
Pau
Biarritz
Toulouse
Bordeaux
Bilbao
Fontarrabie
Pamplona
Santander

Train stations:
Saint Jean pied de Port
Bayonne
Pau
Hendaye-Irun
Pamplona
Logroño

Bus:
Pamplona
Logroño
Irun

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back