• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Over 65

oztraveller

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2017
Has anyone older than 65 made a sudden spontaneously impulsive decision to walk the Camino de Santiago (St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago and onto Finisterre) without any physical preparation in the way of walks, treks, carrying backpacks etc. How did you manage? My feeling is I'll get fitter and stronger along the way taking it easy in the first weeks.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Has anyone older than 65 made a sudden spontaneously impulsive decision to walk the whole Camino de Santiago without any physical preparation in the way of walks, treks, carrying backpacks etc. How did you manage? My feeling is I'll get fitter and stronger along the way taking it easy in the first weeks.
Would you at least have correctly fitted and broken in footwear? I've seen pilgrims half that age who had the wrong gear leave the Camino for foot problems.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Has anyone older than 65 made a sudden spontaneously impulsive decision to walk the whole Camino de Santiago without any physical preparation in the way of walks, treks, carrying backpacks etc. How did you manage? My feeling is I'll get fitter and stronger along the way taking it easy in the first weeks.
I strongly suggest that you read many posts/threads here about various health problems, training/not training, equipment choices, etc., etc. If you're ready to stop when you should regardless of expense/inconvenience, then go ahead. I would absolutely not recommend taking off without a lot of training and research. If you were 30 or 40 years younger, the physical experience would very likely be very different. But you aren't.

Ia am not "over 65", but near...
I think that for us, a general medical check up (includinga a dental:mad: ) is more important than any physical preparation. We need to go to the Camino in our best possible health version; many days of continuous long walks put a lot of cumulative stress on the body.
On the other side, the Camino is not a marathon, but some training with a loaded backpack -so your body get used to it- is convenient. It makes a lot of difference.
Consider also a good intl' health insurance, just in case.:oops:
Buen camino!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
@oztraveller, In a couple of days I will turn 72, and started my Camino in St Jean on the 29th - on the spur of the moment. This year I decided I NEEDED another walk sooner than expected - Thus I'm in rather poor shape Also, had a back injury 6 months ago, so haven't carried a pack of any kind for that long. But I have done the Camino before, so know what to expect! I sent almost 2 lbs ahead this morning from the correos to get my pack weight down. I'm taking my time, resting more often than in the past, and THINK I'm feeling stronger day by day - as you suspect. Yes, if you start from St Jean, it's going to be very difficult, then it will be really difficult, then it be just difficult, and eventually it will get a bit easier. But GO SLOWLY, don't compare yourself to others who are passing you by, rest often, drink lots of water, eat frequently and healthily, and keep your pack weight below the recommended level! If you feel pain anywhere, stop and attend to it or have it attended to right away - pharmacies are a great place to start!! They have great experience attending to pains on the Camino, and can refer you if necessary. DO check out the other postings as above, and enjoy it all!
Buen Camino!
Terry

Yes, many I have walked with. I'm surprised to see so many cautionary posts. The whole training bit is unncessary as far as I'm concerned, as long as you don't need to walk 30km a day the whole way and can walk at your own reasonable pace. You are correct, the Camino will be your training. Go for it!

65 is the new 50, as long as you are reasonably fit and use common sense, there isn't a reason why you shouldn't walk the Camino ;-) Over the years, I met plenty of pilgrims that were in their 80s and they were doing just fine. Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, I would just go and try it!
I think the first year I started when I was 60 I thought, I HAD to do it all by foot and HAD to get from one specific place to another. As the years progress it depends on how I feel on a given day and I have found that knowing I have a "get out" clause on any given day (I COULD get a bus or even at worst a taxi!) I feel less stressed about getting from A to B and then low and behold ...I do!
I too have seen some amazing older people and some of any age with physical impediments which doesn't appear to stop them and I think it's because overall they just want to do it. However like the first reply - if my feet are happy, I have found in the main, so is the rest of me.

I was 71 when I walked the Camino Frances earlier this year. I've written many posts about my experience. I solved some problems before and some after I walked the 800kms. I believe strongly in caution, or to put it geekishly, prudent risk management. At my age my approach turned out to be a wise choice. For me.

Also, I'm not conventionally religious. That makes me an outsider on this forum. I explore this world and the world of the mind/'soul' as best I can. I have faith in my brain such as it is, and whatever choices I'm equipped to make and so I try to be as well informed and prepared as I can be. There are many wise people on this forum whose experience has benefitted me. And there are a few rash ones who don't use a language that I speak. Sorry if that sounds pompous but I'm trying to be clear.

I want to walk a lot more - in Italy, Portugal, in Palestine and hopefully further afield. I don't seek contentment and so I don't intend to stick with the familiar. A hunter for truth and beauty can never be content, it seems to me. I can't afford to be reckless if I want to remain active and vigorous into my 80's. My own doctor doesn't believe I'm my age, so something's working for me.

Buen Camino, - Mike

You must have comfortable and tested footwear. That is the key to it all. If your shoes/boots are new but the right ones, you should do a few days of gentle wear (walking for an hour, for example) and then a couple of 15-20 km walks (preferably 2 consecutive days). If your shoes are not right, and you encounter problems, then the solution is not so obvious - it could take some trial and error with shoes/boots and socks to get that sorted out.

Sometimes I think that "fitness" for walking the Camino is mainly knowing your feet - being at ease while transporting yourself by foot, and knowing what to wear on them.

Once the feet are fitted, get a backpack 35-45 L, make sure it is comfortable with about 8 kg load. (Don't take more!) Finally, either buy your walking sticks at home or plan to buy them when you arrive in Spain. Don't think about doing without them.

Being over 65, likely you have enough time that you don't need to rush the camino. Plan a few days at the start to get over jet lag.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Please understand that if your objective is to basically match the guidebook timelines 31-34 days and carry a backpack of 15 or so pounds, you will suffer from extraordinary repititive trauma in your first 10 days or so, your feet will be extremely painful on some days and if you have done no climbing your cardio will be severely tested at times. You will also be in a high risk category for more severe injury. It would only be by luck that you would not suffer blister injuries without some training. I would also disagree that some training and breaking in shoes is not necessary, but I will leave that to you because no amount of training will mitigate what the first 10 days do to your body as you are adapting.

If you significantly change the weight, distance and timing variables you certainly may have different results, but don't go into this thinking there will not be a price to be paid. I am a very solid climber and you cannot avoid the trauma. What you get after the adaptation phase could be terrific.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
My post is very specific with parameters and is unequivocally true based on those parameters. Unfortunately, people are afraid to address the truth in this regard because it might somehow spoil the Camino, whereas I am trying to be transparent so that people make informed decisions.

Yes you can go !!
But I encourage you to get medical checkup , and do some training before you go, if you are fit to walk 18 to 20 kilometers for a few days with a backpack , then you probably will be ok , but if you got any medical conditions better think about.
Don't go only with your mind and soul , go also with your body ,( is the one that will get you there , and take it easy).
Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My post is very specific with parameters and is unequivocally true based on those parameters. Unfortunately, people are afraid to address the truth in this regard because it might somehow spoil the Camino, whereas I am trying to be transparent so that people make informed decisions.

Nothing is unequivocally true apart of 1+1=2 and even that is open for discussions amongst mathematicians. Buen Camino, SY

Your forum profile states "Camino(s) past & future: Plan to walk in 2017", let's see what you think after you have actually walked the Camino. SY

€83,-
Well. I disagree that you need lots of training to walk the camino. I take groups each year. Most are in their 50 and 60's. Most have no trading and most do fine. In fact I would dare to say most pilgrims train ON the Camino.

What I do suggest is that you give yourself plenty of time to start out SLOW. THAT MEANS AS SLOW AS YOU NEED TO GO AND AS FEW KILOMETERS AS YOU ARE ABLE. Stop when you are tired and STOP the minute you feel a hot spot on your feet and take care of it before you get a blister.

You can increase your distance daily as you feel able.

Get pack transport over the Pyrenees and take that first stage in two days.

Personally I suggest a good WIDE set of trail runners with a deep toe box instead of boots.

You will do fine.

Buen camino!

Last edited:
65 is the new 50, as long as you are reasonably fit and use common sense, there isn't a reason why you shouldn't walk the Camino ;-) Over the years, I met plenty of pilgrims that were in their 80s and they were doing just fine. Buen Camino, SY
I like this. That means I just celebrated my "New 50th Birthday".

IMHO parameters are very subjective. On my Caminos I met people with heavy loaded packs and not very well prepared and sometimes they did better than the light packed and well prepared pilgrims. The mental state you are in is sometimes more important than the amount of kilos you are dragging with you....

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

I am over 65 and I walked the Camino in 2013. I found that your shoes are very, very, very important. I am not really a walker although when I knew that we were going on the Camino I did start to walk. I walked at the neighborhood park for about 30 mins, three times a week. I did this for about a month before our trip.
What I learned walking the Camino: I am a turtle of a walker. Meaning I walk slow. Almost everybody passed me, probably even the wild life too.
The very first challenge was going up the Pyrenees. Little did I know that going down would be more challenging that going up.
Going down the Pyrenees my feet started to swell. I mistakenly brought hiking shoes that were just my size and less than a quarter of an inch of room. When you go down the Pyrenees your feet are tested. Your feet, due to the rocks are moved every way imaginable. It is very, very important to buy shoes that are comfortable and are 1/2inch to 1 inch bigger than your normal size. Also in my opinion it is very important that your shoes have a thick or hard sole so that you don't feel the rocks beneath your feet. I like to ware tennis shoes because they are light, rather than hiking boots. For my next Camino I am choosing a Hoka shoes. Also another thing is to wear the shoes before your trip and break them in.
Last tip: Buy good hiking poles. They are so helpful and won't stress out your joints as much. This was just my experience and I hope I was able to provide some information to you. Buen Camino.

I have finished about half so far and should finish the balance in about 15 days. I think it is very important for someone asking a question like the OP to understand what daily trauma on corrosive surfaces can do to your body especially without any training or experience with the gear you will need the support your feet. It is a risk reward decision when you start any endeavor like this and your risk is heightened when you go based on the factors described by the OP. I am simply trying to be helpful, based on empirical observations. I certainly understand if the OP disregards the feedback I have provided, but it was an honest assessment with the only consideration being the OP and the parameters I defined.
Nothing is unequivocally true apart of 1+1=2 and even that is open for discussions amongst mathematicians. Buen Camino, SY

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Oddly enough, the people I have seen with the worst injuries i.e. unable to walk/carry on were young and fit ones :confused:

This is the absolute truth for me too.
They push themselves too hard and injure themselves the first day over the Pyrenees in many cases.

There's a joke about a young bull and an old bull, but it's off-color so I won't post it.
But I'm laughing as I think about it.
:p:p:p:p:p

One of our well known forum members trained so much, despite many telling him all he was doing was not necessary, that he injurred his Achilese heel while training and had to put up with it during his trek through Spain. :cool: Don't think he trained much for his second Camino :eek:

Don't let empirical facts scare you from doing this. Do visit a podiatrist, have him/her help you find the right pair of shoes and/or orthotics, give you stretching tips so you may overcome the corrosive nature of the ground you'll be walking on. Do ask your GP for tips in case you develop tendonistis, gastro issues, how not to get dehydrated.

And you know what, even if you trained for an Ironman starting today for a Camino next Spring, you could still have a terrible time, get injurred, get ill, lose toe nails, get blisters in places you thought your feet were nothing but caluses. Such is life.

Be wise, take it easy, minimise the weight of your pack while still having enough comfort so you can walk happily day after day, and have fun.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Wow, when I first looked at this thread this morning there were only a few replies and I thought I had better put something down to re-assure you that extensive training is not necessarily necessary. Remember that we are all different. Before my older brother (he was 67 at the time and still working) and I set off 18 months ago he was and still is a very active person. I on the other hand being only 65 and not working was and am still not a very active person. But I did buy a new (Odyssey 38) pack and a pair of Ecco sandals. I had a good pair of well worn in walking shoes and a smile on my face. I had never done any "serious" walking before and wanted to see what it was like. My brother and his wife had walked the CF the Autumn of 2014 and he wanted to do it again, but left me to make the arrangements for travel from Canada to Europe.
I kept meaning to go out and put some K's behind me as my brother recommended but somehow never quite achieved it. I decided we would start in Geneva in front of the UN, as that seemed appropriate for what was happening in the world then. My brother had only 3 weeks and I had 3 months with the idea that if I didn't take to walking I would go and visit relatives in the UK. As I said earlier, we are all different. My brothers hiking boots seemed to hurt - all of the time. My shoes and sandals which I switched from day to day - walk a day in shoes then walk a day in sandals - felt fine. Our first day was 24 kms and I was still smiling.
My brother wanted to go,go go and I traipsed along. Sometimes an hour or so behind him, more often together as he learned to move at my pace.
I eventually walked into Santiago 81 days after leaving Geneva and threw away my shoes but not the sandals - which I still wear nearly every day.
Take your time, stop for coffee (or a beer) often and enjoy.
Buen Camino

Wow, when I first looked at this thread this morning there were only a few replies and I thought I had better put something down to re-assure you that extensive training is not necessarily necessary. Remember that we are all different. Before my older brother (he was 67 at the time and still working) and I set off 18 months ago he was and still is a very active person. I on the other hand being only 65 and not working was and am still not a very active person. But I did buy a new (Odyssey 38) pack and a pair of Ecco sandals. I had a good pair of well worn in walking shoes and a smile on my face. I had never done any "serious" walking before and wanted to see what it was like. My brother and his wife had walked the CF the Autumn of 2014 and he wanted to do it again, but left me to make the arrangements for travel from Canada to Europe.
I kept meaning to go out and put some K's behind me as my brother recommended but somehow never quite achieved it. I decided we would start in Geneva in front of the UN, as that seemed appropriate for what was happening in the world then. My brother had only 3 weeks and I had 3 months with the idea that if I didn't take to walking I would go and visit relatives in the UK. As I said earlier, we are all different. My brothers hiking boots seemed to hurt - all of the time. My shoes and sandals which I switched from day to day - walk a day in shoes then walk a day in sandals - felt fine. Our first day was 24 kms and I was still smiling.
My brother wanted to go,go go and I traipsed along. Sometimes an hour or so behind him, more often together as he learned to move at my pace.
I eventually walked into Santiago 81 days after leaving Geneva and threw away my shoes but not the sandals - which I still wear nearly every day.
Take your time, stop for coffee (or a beer) often and enjoy.
Buen Camino

Ia am not "over 65", but near...
I think that for us, a general medical check up (includinga a dental:mad: ) is more important than any physical preparation. We need to go to the Camino in our best possible health version; many days of continuous long walks put a lot of cumulative stress on the body.

Sorry if I did not sound cheerful enough.
For job reasons, I always have had to spend some weeks abroad, now and then. When I turned 50, I decided that making sure my trips were as uneventful as possible (form the health point of view), was the responsible thing to do. I am not particularly worried...it is a "just in case" procedure. Yes, medical check ups are a nuisance, but they are worthwhile (and they kind of calm down the apprehensions of my dear ones, who lately have started to look worried when I begin to talk about my next pilgrimages in progressively lonelier routes... I don't know why.)
Go, enjoy (and be safe). It is a great experience.

Last edited:
@oztraveller, In a couple of days I will turn 72, and started my Camino in St Jean on the 29th - on the spur of the moment. This year I decided I NEEDED another walk sooner than expected - Thus I'm in rather poor shape Also, had a back injury 6 months ago, so haven't carried a pack of any kind for that long. But I have done the Camino before, so know what to expect! I sent almost 2 lbs ahead this morning from the correos to get my pack weight down. I'm taking my time, resting more often than in the past, and THINK I'm feeling stronger day by day - as you suspect. Yes, if you start from St Jean, it's going to be very difficult, then it will be really difficult, then it be just difficult, and eventually it will get a bit easier. But GO SLOWLY, don't compare yourself to others who are passing you by, rest often, drink lots of water, eat frequently and healthily, and keep your pack weight below the recommended level! If you feel pain anywhere, stop and attend to it or have it attended to right away - pharmacies are a great place to start!! They have great experience attending to pains on the Camino, and can refer you if necessary. DO check out the other postings as above, and enjoy it all!
Buen Camino!
Terry
Thanks OTH86, you've said exactly what I want to hear. I have 3 months so don't need to rush

I was 71 when I walked the Camino Frances earlier this year. I've written many posts about my experience. I solved some problems before and some after I walked the 800kms. I believe strongly in caution, or to put it geekishly, prudent risk management. At my age my approach turned out to be a wise choice. For me.

Also, I'm not conventionally religious. That makes me an outsider on this forum. I explore this world and the world of the mind/'soul' as best I can. I have faith in my brain such as it is, and whatever choices I'm equipped to make and so I try to be as well informed and prepared as I can be. There are many wise people on this forum whose experience has benefitted me. And there are a few rash ones who don't use a language that I speak. Sorry if that sounds pompous but I'm trying to be clear.

I want to walk a lot more - in Italy, Portugal, in Palestine and hopefully further afield. I don't seek contentment and so I don't intend to stick with the familiar. A hunter for truth and beauty can never be content, it seems to me. I can't afford to be reckless if I want to remain active and vigorous into my 80's. My own doctor doesn't believe I'm my age, so something's working for me.

Buen Camino, - Mike
Thanks Mike, I have 3 months so don't need to rush and I've done lots of research. I think I'll be fine taking it slow but not too slow to miss out on albergue accommodations. I have an affinity with many things you say.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am over 65 and I walked the Camino in 2013. I found that your shoes are very, very, very important. I am not really a walker although when I knew that we were going on the Camino I did start to walk. I walked at the neighborhood park for about 30 mins, three times a week. I did this for about a month before our trip.
What I learned walking the Camino: I am a turtle of a walker. Meaning I walk slow. Almost everybody passed me, probably even the wild life too.
The very first challenge was going up the Pyrenees. Little did I know that going down would be more challenging that going up.
Going down the Pyrenees my feet started to swell. I mistakenly brought hiking shoes that were just my size and less than a quarter of an inch of room. When you go down the Pyrenees your feet are tested. Your feet, due to the rocks are moved every way imaginable. It is very, very important to buy shoes that are comfortable and are 1/2inch to 1 inch bigger than your normal size. Also in my opinion it is very important that your shoes have a thick or hard sole so that you don't feel the rocks beneath your feet. I like to ware tennis shoes because they are light, rather than hiking boots. For my next Camino I am choosing a Hoka shoes. Also another thing is to wear the shoes before your trip and break them in.
Last tip: Buy good hiking poles. They are so helpful and won't stress out your joints as much. This was just my experience and I hope I was able to provide some information to you. Buen Camino.
Thank you vgen5122 taking care of my feet and walking the tortoise walk will be my priority

As with all recreational activity, the better you are at it the more you will enjoy it. Long distance walking has the same rules, the better you are at it the more you will enjoy your walk.

We always train with our packs before we go on a Camino, it just makes sense!

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments & feedback, I will take all suggestions into consideration & have decided to add walking sandals to my list

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
have decided to add walking sandals to my list
But have you added "walking" to your daily to-do list for whatever time you have left? Have you walked extensively in sandals before? Are you planning to go soon? (Just asking since I wouldn't choose sandals for walking in October-November in northern Spain.)

But have you added "walking" to your daily to-do list for whatever time you have left? Have you walked extensively in sandals before? Are you planning to go soon? (Just asking since I wouldn't choose sandals for walking in October-November in northern Spain.)
Thanks C clearly, I walk/jog 5km occasionally and often feel I could go further for longer. I haven't walked in walking sandals before but think interchanging my footwear will help my feet. My desision was sudden to do Camino but plan to go next spring. The next few months in OZ during summer even into April can be unbearably hot in SA so I won't be out walking or carrying a backpack & walking a treadmill at the gym is too boring for me.

Thanks C clearly, I walk/jog 5km occasionally and often feel I could go further for longer. I haven't walked in walking sandals before but think interchanging my footwear will help my feet. My desision was sudden to do Camino but plan to go next spring. The next few months in OZ during summer even into April can be unbearably hot in SA so I won't be out walking or carrying a backpack & walking a treadmill at the gym is too boring for me.
IMHO you really should train a bit more. 5 km is nothing on the Camino. I didn't train hard-core, but I did walk between 8 to 20 km every day in the couple of months before my Camino. I only walked with a not quite fully loaded backpack a few of those days. And I walked about 17 km for 7 consecutive days to see how my feet would hold up with the daily pounding. As I live in a hilly area, my training did include plenty of uphill walking. I think that my training helped me walk injury free, and looking forward to each day.
And I know about walking in the heat. I trained during the summer when temperatures are between 30c and 40c.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi oztraveller -

Here are a couple of suggestions to add to the mix of terrific responses you've received so far.

First suggestion ...
As you've got several months before you go, how about checking out your local pilgrim group/camino support group in Adelaide? The meetings give all who attend an opportunity to ask questions, receive GREAT tips on "everything Camino" and are great fun. If you check out the Australian Friends of the Camino website (afotc.org) or email them at info@afotc.org, they'll be able to give you details of the meetings which I understand are regularly held in the Rosefield Uniting Church Hall in Highgate. I'm a member of Pilgrims in Sydney and our meetings are full of wonderful advice and a huge amount of sharing between new and returned pilgrims plus a ton of laughter. I'm sure the Adelaide peregrinos would be exactly the same!

Second suggestion ...
Bystander, who's been a member of the Camino Forum since 2008, last June shared a list of the distances on the Camino Frances that he intends to walk next year. You can see from the list that if you follow these distances you'll ease yourself into the first stage of the Camino ... they're very manageable distances.

Here's Bystander's post:

" I have been held back from starting my camino by illness.....,,,,,whilst, now recovering, complications have followed and 2017 will, hopefully, be my camino year.

But for some time my proposed walking schedule for the first ten days, to avoid injury and to build up stamina, has been as below. You will see it is only after Puenta la Reina that I would crank up the daily distances. Also bear in mind I will have no time restrictions.

SJPdP – Valcarlos - 12km
Valcarlos - Roncevalles - 13
Roncevalles – Viskarret, Corazon Puro - 10
Viskarret - Akerreta - 17
Akerreta - Pamplona - 15
Rest day in Pamplona
Pamplona – Zariquiegui - 14
Pamplona – Uterga - 14
Zariquiegui - Puenta la Reina - 16
Puenta la Reina – Estella - 22 "

As you have plenty of time, these distances might work well for you.

One more thing ... buy an Aussie flag cloth badge and also a Camino Forum cloth badge for your pack - they're fantastic conversation openers! Forum members are everywhere, as are us Aussies!!!

Buen Camino oztraveller!

Cheers - Jenny

Hi oztraveller -

Here are a couple of suggestions to add to the mix of terrific responses you've received so far.

First suggestion ...
As you've got several months before you go, how about checking out your local pilgrim group/camino support group in Adelaide? The meetings give all who attend an opportunity to ask questions, receive GREAT tips on "everything Camino" and are great fun. If you check out the Australian Friends of the Camino website (afotc.org) or email them at info@afotc.org, they'll be able to give you details of the meetings which I understand are regularly held in the Rosefield Uniting Church Hall in Highgate. I'm a member of Pilgrims in Sydney and our meetings are full of wonderful advice and a huge amount of sharing between new and returned pilgrims plus a ton of laughter. I'm sure the Adelaide peregrinos would be exactly the same!

Second suggestion ...
Bystander, who's been a member of the Camino Forum since 2008, last June shared a list of the distances on the Camino Frances that he intends to walk next year. You can see from the list that if you follow these distances you'll ease yourself into the first stage of the Camino ... they're very manageable distances.

Here's Bystander's post:

" I have been held back from starting my camino by illness.....,,,,,whilst, now recovering, complications have followed and 2017 will, hopefully, be my camino year.

But for some time my proposed walking schedule for the first ten days, to avoid injury and to build up stamina, has been as below. You will see it is only after Puenta la Reina that I would crank up the daily distances. Also bear in mind I will have no time restrictions.

SJPdP – Valcarlos - 12km
Valcarlos - Roncevalles - 13
Roncevalles – Viskarret, Corazon Puro - 10
Viskarret - Akerreta - 17
Akerreta - Pamplona - 15
Rest day in Pamplona
Pamplona – Zariquiegui - 14
Pamplona – Uterga - 14
Zariquiegui - Puenta la Reina - 16
Puenta la Reina – Estella - 22 "

As you have plenty of time, these distances might work well for you.

One more thing ... buy an Aussie flag cloth badge and also a Camino Forum cloth badge for your pack - they're fantastic conversation openers! Forum members are everywhere, as are us Aussies!!!

Buen Camino oztraveller!

Cheers - Jenny
Thanks heaps JennyH94 for all your suggestions and advice. I will check out Bystander's proposed walking schedule. I wish him well. Those km are close to what I want to achieve around the start so I've taken a screen shot of your post

Thank you vgen5122 taking care of my feet and walking the tortoise walk will be my priority

Just a few last suggestions. Stop and stay in Orrisson. It a great place to stop after your first day. Otherwise be prepared to walk up to 25km on the first day fr. ST. Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles. A lot of people may disagree with me, but if your backpack starts hurting your back you may want to call for the services of (I am not sure of the correct name) Jocan(?)it is a backpack taxi. They will deliver your backpack to the next town where you are staying or to a pick up point in that town. Buen Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just a few last suggestions. Stop and stay in Orrisson. It a great place to stop after your first day. Otherwise be prepared to walk up to 25km on the first day fr. ST. Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles. A lot of people may disagree with me, but if your backpack starts hurting your back you may want to call for the services of (I am not sure of the correct name) Jocan(?)it is a backpack taxi. They will deliver your backpack to the next town where you are staying or to a pick up point in that town. Buen Camino.
Thanks vgen5122 I think 1st stop in Orrisson sounds great or any place nearby. Thanks for advice if I get a sore back, hopefully my pack will be light enough to not cause problems

Thanks vgen5122 I think 1st stop in Orrisson sounds great or any place nearby. Thanks for advice if I get a sore back, hopefully my pack will be light enough to not cause problems
The thing is that there really isn't much else "nearby". If you want to stay at Orisson, make a reservation.

Has anyone older than 65 made a sudden spontaneously impulsive decision to walk the Camino de Santiago (St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago and onto Finisterre) without any physical preparation in the way of walks, treks, carrying backpacks etc. How did you manage? My feeling is I'll get fitter and stronger along the way taking it easy in the first weeks.

Hello, I've just completed The Camino Frances on 9/30/2016. First let me tell you that it was NOT EASY!!!, specially after the very first stages. As of matter of fact, I almost gave up when I arrived in Pamplona, I took a beating going up the Pyrenees, coming down to Roncevalles then again the mountains before Zubiri. I used to think, as I walked uphill, that the downhill was coming and it would be easier, boy! Was I wrong, the downhill were the worst parts!!! I am 65 yrs. old, I started to train mid-April 2016, I trained pretty hard with a 25 lbs backpack, walked consecutive days of 18-20 km per day for a full week and after all that The Camino taught me that NOTHING is EASY!!! To add to your discomfort, I saw younger, much younger than you and I, suffer at different stages of The Camino. So to give you my opinion, I honestly think that you might be wasting your time, going as you stated on an "impulse"!. Today, I feel stronger & I feel I can tackle ANY walk, thanks to me completing The Camino. As of matter of fact, I am answering this from Bilbao airport, I came to return a rental car and I've decided that I am walking back to my hotel in Sondika, appeox. 3.6 km. I need the stimulation of walking - another Camino side benefit. Whatever You decide I wish nothing but the best. "Buen Camino"

Ignacio

This is the absolute truth for me too.
They push themselves too hard and injure themselves the first day over the Pyrenees in many cases.

There's a joke about a young bull and an old bull, but it's off-color so I won't post it.
But I'm laughing as I think about it.
:p:p:p:p:p
It's a good joke too.

they have a system that transports your back pack ...we used that system...one thing that will help the most is start stretching every part of your body, we didnt do that and that brought us to a halt on day 4, I sure started stretching after that, two days down and I was good to go...We were 66 then...

You can spend the first night at Orisson, but even with that overnight stop, the distance from Orisson to Roncesvalles is one of the longest without any place to rest, eat (other than the food truck), use the bathroom, etc., and it's one of the most physically difficult stages of the Camino Frances, so it's hard to "take it easy" in the beginning. If you start at Roncesvalles, as many, especially Spaniards do, you will have lots more opportunity to take it easy in the beginning. Or, I have heard it suggested that you start on the trail earlier in France, to start getting your body used to the walk.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I did stage from SJPDP to Burgos at age 68."My training was 20 cigs per day,15 kg(min)overweight. 15kgs in rucksack(reduced to 10kgs at Pamplona.Walked at home at av speed of 6kpm on the flat for a few weeks before. Carrying the rucksac over Pyrenes was painfull but after 1 week I felt good and a lot stronger and able to put in longer days.It isn't a race take your time and stop where you want.What does it matter if you only cover 10km in a day?

My 2 cents. I am 67 and did the Camino by bike this year in May. Unless you really know your body and how it reacts to endurance events, I would not walk or bike the Camino without training.

You have gotten lots of great advice, but some of it is a bit subtle. I will try to be a bit blunt. If you have done strenuous athletic things in the past, then you will know when your body is telling you that something is wrong, seriously wrong and you will have learned that you MUST stop/slow down and rest.

The key to exercising vigorously day after day for a long period of time is knowing how to recover. Recovery includes eating the right things at the right time to keep muscle glycogen levels up there, to make sure that lactic acid is removed from muscles, and that you have the proper electrolyte and minerals in your body. In other words, something you probably will be clueless on, unless you have been into endurance events or are in superb shape.

Another key element to to recovery is to take the right amount of days off to rest. At my age when I do hard training week after week, I need to take two full days off a week and have a light exercise day to insure I don't get over-use injuries. As people get older they require more time to recover from heavy exercise. From what I have read it is mostly about Human Growth Hormone levels that plummet with age. Good recovery includes hydration, proper nutrition, monitoring protein and carb intake within 1/2 hour of stopping exercising and stretching along with self massage. If you know how to do all this, you will not have a problem with what you are considering.

On the other hand if you know all of the above, you probably would train for this kind of month long event for at least 3 to 5 months in advance.

Can you do it without training past the age of 60? YES, if (1) you know your body, (2) you are extraordinarily fit, (3) you have done a lot of planning so that you know all the tricks of the Camino like sending luggage ahead if you are tired and having scheduled lots of extra rest days before you have to catch your flight home, scheduled rest days before you start so you are fully over jet-lag, etc., or (4) you are extremely lucky.

Good luck. Yes you can do it, but as people said, you need to go slow, listen to what your body tells you and take good care of yourself so you get the recovery your body needs to keep going week after week.

Has anyone older than 65 made a sudden spontaneously impulsive decision to walk the Camino de Santiago (St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago and onto Finisterre) without any physical preparation ....

Okay, if you're going to do it without preparation, I'd suggest the following:
- lightest pack possible - if in doubt, don't take it
-boots worn in, probably with orthotics
-really small distances to start
-10 minutes break per hour and a good, long lunch - this was suggested to me by two 65+ walkers, and it's a fabulous technique for older folk
-walking poles, even if you've not used them before
- Compeed for your first aid kit

Have a great time. Last year on the Frances at this time of year was great walking.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm 55 and my husband is 63. We just started from sarria and with a whole 1 day under our belts we suggest. Many rest breaks. Stop and sit and EAT whenever possible. You don't want to "run out of gas" because you are in too much of a hurry. Let the youngsters rush. Take your time and enjoy.

Last year I did the Camino de la Plata with a group that had three 64 or older individuals. You might find the blog helpful.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...ta-and-the-camino-sanabres.41690/#post-428141

I cannot emphasis enough the need to get in shape by having a hiking routine with your equipment before starting out. Especially boots and sock combinations. On my first camino (age fifty) I found that after ten miles my feet swelled to such an extent, my boots which had been fine on five mile hikes at home, started to rub and cause blisters. Equally you don't want to be a week into your camino and develop muscle problems that will nag you the rest of the trip because you didn't get in shape.

Fatuous "just go for it" advice is risky.

Last edited:
I think you stand a good chance of enjoying the hard slog as long as you are reasonably active, pack light and just do one day at a time,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Make sure you stay at Max's Place San Xulian do Camino. About 10 km outside of Palas de Rei. Best food and company after a drizzly Galacian days walk. The ladies give you newspaper to stuff in your boots to dry them out. Max was talking about selling up and going fishing, pity. But it is a little isolated so won't be overrun by the main roaders, beautiful food and ambience. Pace yourself and you will get there. Buen Camino.

I think it depends on your exercise 'history'. If you are generally an active person, with some recent history of walking (doesn't have to be much, 45 min, about 5 days a week) then yes, go for it, but if you are getting up off the couch after years of inactivity, then don't rush into it, get some basic fitness first. Do some walking, climb steps. Fill a backpack and try it out. Breaking in a sturdy part of boots or off road runners would be good also. Travel light. Take your time. I do believe you can increase your fitness as you go along. The start of the Camino is rough though, from Roncesvalles to Pamplona, it's up and down on a rough pathway. Good luck !

€83,-
Thank you everyone. I didn't expect such a huge response & I appreciate and take it all on board. It sounds like the walk to Roncesvalles is toughest. I'm a slower walker & I wonder if any older citizens walked too slow to the next town missing out on getting a bed and had to stay outside somewhere on a bedroll, which I wouldn't mind, but I've read it's unacceptable in Spain.

oztraveller, I personally never take my age into consideration, I think my age is other people problem not mine.

buen camino

Last edited:

€46,-
Hi oztraveller - you're right about SA having extremes of temperatures ... it would definitely make training during the summer months difficult unless you're up at the crack of dawn and out walking then, and that would only be on the milder days. Try and do some walking on those milder days if your schedule allows it.

A couple of things I thought of as I was out walking this morning is that if you're near a beach or have access to a pool, whether it be a council-run one, one at a leisure centre or perhaps a friend's or a neighbour's pool (you might even own one yourself - wonderful if you do), is that treading water in deep water is a fantastic exercise. It not only strengthens your legs, it strengthens your whole core. The exercise is even better if you fold your arms close to your body and rely on the fast movement of your legs to keep you buoyant - imagine running in the water. This exercise, and some general swimming will help keep you fit and strong over the hot months ahead, plus it's so refreshing - having a swim's fantastic.

The other thing I thought of, during the summer, and indeed until you leave for the Camino, is that you could wear your loaded pack in the house when you're doing the housework - gradually add more gear into the pack over time to increase it's weight to the approximate amount you'll be taking on the Camino. It's an opportunity to wear the pack, feel how it works for you, make adjustments etc. over time, so by the time you go on the Camino it will work well for you.

Buen Camino with your training -

Cheers - Jenny

I walked the Camino Frances when I was 64 and the Le Puy when I was 66. I hope to do the Portugues in March...a month before my 68th birthday. However, I did train quite a bit before going and didn't develop any problems. I do not suggest tackling the Camino without training. I will say that I did feel stronger as I progressed through the stages. On the Frances, we did two 24 mile treks in the last five stages. I attribute my not getting blisters or getting any other physical injury to the many miles of walking I did before heading for the Camino. Not training increases you chances of not finishing the Camino. Good luck!

Actually I was somemonths younger than 65 when I did the Pamplona - SdC last year (started from Le Puy-en Velay two years before that). My job makes me move a lot, an d I very seldom feel like walking/traing when I get home. But I made both seasons in good shape (stronger when I finished than when I started, of course). I was not tempted to send my pack along, as I carried all of it in a pack that never was heavier than 9 kg.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hi oztraveller - you're right about SA having extremes of temperatures ... it would definitely make training during the summer months difficult unless you're up at the crack of dawn and out walking then, and that would only be on the milder days. Try and do some walking on those milder days if your schedule allows it.

A couple of things I thought of as I was out walking this morning is that if you're near a beach or have access to a pool, whether it be a council-run one, one at a leisure centre or perhaps a friend's or a neighbour's pool (you might even own one yourself - wonderful if you do), is that treading water in deep water is a fantastic exercise. It not only strengthens your legs, it strengthens your whole core. The exercise is even better if you fold your arms close to your body and rely on the fast movement of your legs to keep you buoyant - imagine running in the water. This exercise, and some general swimming will help keep you fit and strong over the hot months ahead, plus it's so refreshing - having a swim's fantastic.

The other thing I thought of, during the summer, and indeed until you leave for the Camino, is that you could wear your loaded pack in the house when you're doing the housework - gradually add more gear into the pack over time to increase it's weight to the approximate amount you'll be taking on the Camino. It's an opportunity to wear the pack, feel how it works for you, make adjustments etc. over time, so by the time you go on the Camino it will work well for you.

Buen Camino with your training -

Cheers - Jenny
Brilliant suggestions Jenny. Thank you

Thank you everyone. I didn't expect such a huge response & I appreciate and take it all on board. It sounds like the walk to Roncesvalles is toughest. I'm a slower walker & I wonder if any older citizens walked too slow to the next town missing out on getting a bed and had to stay outside somewhere on a bedroll, which I wouldn't mind, but I've read it's unacceptable in Spain.
If you plan to take two days to cross the Pyrenees you could walk the valcarlos route which starts out (and stays) less steep, and breaks the distance into two roughly equal parts. Or you could take the Napoleon route, which is more steep and is especially so the first day; this breaks the days into a short first (8km) and a long second day. You could reserve a room ahead of time on either of these routes so you could walk at a slow pace.

I want to again stress good/proper footwear above all other advice. They must be large enough so when your feet swell --and walking for 6+ hours they will swell a lot--they do not become too tight. They must provide the proper stability (if you don't know if you supinate or over pronate I can almost promise they are not the proper stability) and your arch type. Then those shoes must be broken in, and thoroughly tested with the type of socks you plan to wear. I would bet the wrong footwear is the greatest cause of cancelled Caminos in all age groups. And sadly so easily preventable.

Very, very slow at the start,
Finish @ Muxia and use this as an example,

A 79 year old sprightly farmer left Melbourne 11 years ago walking around Australia [ around 20,000km] for the underprivileged kids on Thai -Myanmar Border under the banner ""International Children's Care Australia.""
After 15,000 plus km @ Pemberton Western Australia he had to return to his ailing wife.
For 10 years he dismissed thoughts about the walk.

On January 26th 2016 , Australia Day, he returned to WA for the remaining 3,500km .
Yesterday the now 90 year old walked down a crowded Bourke Street Mall
He raised over $102,000 on the path.

His thoughts @ the finish line,
I was retired,
I decided to do something for someone worse off than myself
When the going got tough he was inspired by the children he visited all those years ago on the Thai border
It's great to finish , explaining about the holey shoe
"It was either amputate the toe or cut a hole in the side of shoe " he said to warm laughter:D
and finally,
You are never too old to venture out.

Mr Tripovich should set an example to those who have doubts.
Just take your time,
Buen Camino to all

If you plan to take two days to cross the Pyrenees you could walk the valcarlos route which starts out (and stays) less steep, and breaks the distance into two roughly equal parts. Or you could take the Napoleon route, which is more steep and is especially so the first day; this breaks the days into a short first (8km) and a long second day.
A profile of the two routes going from St. Jean Pied de Port to Roncevalles.
It is still a work in progress.
Lodging is available at St. Jean Pied de Port and Roncevalles of course but also at Honto, Orrison and Valcarlos.
stage1-profile.png

Yes I made that decision in 2010 at the age of 70 to walk from Le Puy to Santiago a distance of 1000 miles. I carried a backpack that was too heavy at 12kg plus food and water. Near Lectoure I slipped a disk and was looked after by Veronique in her Gite until I was able to be repatriated home . But after an operation on my back I returned to Veroniques Gite less than 12 months after my operation and completed my pilgrimage to Santiago and Finestere. Since then I have walked a Camino every year plus I walked the European Peace Walk 3 times, the Via Francigena twice from San Gimignano and the via Francisco once from Gubbio.
But I recommend you to get as fit as possible before you go , to look after your feet to prevent blisters and to carry no more than 6kg in your backpack.
Finally-----go for it and Bon Camino in France and Buen Camino in Spain.
Donal from Ireland.

Last edited:
And on the camino it's not only the daily distance, it's the impact of repetitive and unaccustomed stress on your body day after day.

I agree with everything you say Katharina about the oldies and their way of life.

*********However i stated that Oz traveller should take her time and go *****very, very slowly at the start , there is no hurry.
Please read my post correctly.........***very very slowly *****take your time..
How am i setting someone up for pain and misery ????????????
Common sense is the only degree not taught in University.

****** He walked 20 or more camino 's at the age of 80 , in one go........thats to Muxia [900km] not Santiago.
He was a simple farmer as you stated ......how that fits the OPs question i'm not sure.
This OP 's question was related to over 65's
On our first camino in 2008 we met an old man who commenced in Mt Blanc ..Italy/France
Start like and old man.............. finish as a young one he told us.
He was 78 yrs.
We never forgot it and took 44 days to Muxia
Katharine , in the army [ 50 yrs ago] we were told the ****six P's would hold us in good stead then and in future years.
I've never forgot that statement.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@Thornley: the "you" in my previous message was a generic you, it was not addressed to you personally. I understand that one can do short days and find accommodation every 10 km, more or less, in Spain. I also understand that people have set their hearts on walking the Napoleon route and wanting to do the "whole" camino from SJPP to Santiago and beyond to Muxia. I know that one gets fitter day by day. In addition, I have the suspicion that those who give up by the time they reach Logroño don't post much on this forum. I believe - but I can't really back it up, other than personal experience - that many of us totally underestimate the lasting beneficial effects of walking either daily or for long periods in previous years which allows us to start without prior training.

Remember the 6 P's Katharina
Your post was NEGATIVE to an 80=90 year old man who as i said walked 18 ,000 around Australia .
On every Camino and also in life we avoid all negative people....not worth the time.... Dad said.
Please believe me there are NO coffee shops every 5-10km in Oz.......Try 40...100km
If the normal educated person [ he had none] with access to apps, maps, books , forums, iPads etc can't work out how to walk 800/900 km i feel sorry for them.

Last edited:
I think one can choose to train, or not. But we must be brutally honest about our abilities and the route we want to take. If they do not match something must be adjusted: a different route, bag transport, taxi, or training. If I came up to someone who walked at most to the corner to pick up mail and said "hey, strap on some shoes, lets go do a 10k, or a half, or a marathon"--they would say "are you crazy?"...and if I said, 'no, it's a piece of cake, the first 18 km are all up hill, pretty steep really, but we'll be carrying some weights in a pack" they would call to have me committed. Pushing the envelope is one thing, but ignoring our limits is another. I'm all for everyone enjoying an injury free camino, all the way to SdC, which requires the right footwear and at least some planning, if not training.

€83,-
I think one can choose to train, or not. But we must be brutally honest about our abilities and the route we want to take. If they do not match something must be adjusted: a different route, bag transport, taxi, or training. If I came up to someone who walked at most to the corner to pick up mail and said "hey, strap on some shoes, lets go do a 10k, or a half, or a marathon"--they would say "are you crazy?"...and if I said, 'no, it's a piece of cake, the first 18 km are all up hill, pretty steep really, but we'll be carrying some weights in a pack" they would call to have me committed. Pushing the envelope is one thing, but ignoring our limits is another. I'm all for everyone enjoying an injury free camino, all the way to SdC, which requires the right footwear and at least some planning, if not training.

The 6 P's Smallest Sparrow , its simple.
Let's see who states what they are .

in the army [ 50 yrs ago] we were told the ****six P's would hold us in good stead then and in future years.

Could this refer to the Australian Army medical corp's motto: Proctologists Probing Privates Poorly Prevents Performance?

mixed company forum so I'd rather hope no one does:eek:

Sorry.:(

mixed company forum so I'd rather hope no one does:eek:
Could this refer to the Australian Army medical corp's motto: Proctologists Probing Privates Poorly Prevents Performanc

Any of the words are normally used
Proper , Prior , Planning , Preparation , Prevents , P... , Poor , Performance.

You may then want to schedule some more time and money for a few days stay in St. Jean to wait out any bad weather.

A perfect example of the above Rick,
Prepare for the unexpected ,
In 2008 we were stopped from going over the top which resulted in us falling in love with Valcarlos .
When we do the GR's heading towards STJPP ...one year over the top , next year on the valley floor and the beautiful Casa Rural in Valcarlos.

This assessment of my comments in this thread surprises me.
Apologies if it came across that way.

Also, I'm not conventionally religious. That makes me an outsider on this forum.

Completely wrong I think. I would say the conventionally religious are in a small minority on this forum and, based on my own experience, they certainly are on the Camino.

Some of the posts on this thread get a bit aggressive. Please ensure what you say does not take the form of a personal attack on another member. Rule 1.

We would start early. Often in the dark because it would get hot 35+ after noon. But after 10ish everyone had passed us and we had the track to ourselves. We would plod on until we were a little exhausted and had found nice lodging and a bar with food. It worked for us. I miss those yellow arrows. 20 to 25 km a day was nice and manageable on a hot August day in Espana
Buen Camino
If you never ever go
You will never ever know

I walked it last year at the age of 67. Although I did prepare, I found the Camino to be less strenuous than I'd expected. As others have said before, know your limitations and find a pace that suits you. More than fatigue, the elders I walked with were most troubled by foot problems, mainly blisters but also everything up to and including broken bones. In hindsight, the most productive part of my preparation was the attention I paid to getting shoes and socks that fit correctly, something that doesn't consume months of advance preparation.

I don't know what you are worrying about, at 65 you are still a young chicken !!!!!!

Hi Oztraveler! I walked from St. Jean to Burgos departing on 9/25/14 when I was 67. Then returned to walk from Burgos to SdC departing 4/17/15 when I was 68. My 10kg backpack was 13 percent of my weight. I did no extra training to supplement my normal every-other-day 2-mile run. I got lucky with cool, dry weather for both sections. I stayed at Orisson, and highly recommend it. My legs were tired only after the first three hilly days. In 2013 as a test of my endurance and shoe fit, I hiked, but without a backpack, 70 miles one week in the mountains east of Salt Lake City, Utah, the year before going to St. Jean (and before deciding to do the CF). On that trip I took photos of my feet where the blisters had occurred. Every morning on the Camino I taped those 5 toes, and had no blister problems. In summary, if you have the strength to walk up to Orisson on the first day, and have a plan to prevent blisters, I think you will enjoy the scenery, food and wine, the Spanish, and fellow pilgrims.

Oztraveler, it was one year ago this week I walked into Santiago for my 80th birthday. I see you are scheduled for 2017. You can do this..... without overdoing the training. Let common sense prevail and stay within your comfort level. That doesn't mean to say you cannot stretch the trainin every so slowly. So many take the first couple of days much to fast. Slowly, slowly.
I will walk in Scotland this coming Spring and return to the Camino in 2018.....wish you early Buen Camino.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
10 minutes break per hour

Exactly as per the boys in the army

long lunch

Thats our problem , we stop at 1pm for the best meal in the village and thats if for the day, we plan our day around lunch having only a piece of fruit for breakfast.
Bernice 5 -6 hours walking is surely enough for us oldies:)

-really small distances to start

An old man who started in Mt Blanc a decade ago when dining with us on GR65 told us these words,
Start like an old man and finish as a young one.
We have never forgot these words of advice.
Thus our Camino family consists of easy it goes walkers and the ones who love a SELECT red with meal at lunch.

Your earlier reply made complete sense,
Buen Camino for the years ahead.

Oztraveler, it was one year ago this week I walked into Santiago for my 80th birthday. I see you are scheduled for 2017. You can do this..... without overdoing the training. Let common sense prevail and stay within your comfort level. That doesn't mean to say you cannot stretch the trainin every so slowly. So many take the first couple of days much to fast. Slowly, slowly.
I will walk in Scotland this coming Spring and return to the Camino in 2018.....wish you early Buen Camino.
Wow! You are an inspiration movinmaggie

Go for it
I'm 15 years younger and have gone ill prepared twice as far as training and being overweight. However I did heed advice on footwear socks and pack weight. Take it slow and fitness will come!

Hi Oztraveler! I walked from St. Jean to Burgos departing on 9/25/14 when I was 67. Then returned to walk from Burgos to SdC departing 4/17/15 when I was 68. My 10kg backpack was 13 percent of my weight. I did no extra training to supplement my normal every-other-day 2-mile run. I got lucky with cool, dry weather for both sections. I stayed at Orisson, and highly recommend it. My legs were tired only after the first three hilly days. In 2013 as a test of my endurance and shoe fit, I hiked, but without a backpack, 70 miles one week in the mountains east of Salt Lake City, Utah, the year before going to St. Jean (and before deciding to do the CF). On that trip I took photos of my feet where the blisters had occurred. Every morning on the Camino I taped those 5 toes, and had no blister problems. In summary, if you have the strength to walk up to Orisson on the first day, and have a plan to prevent blisters, I think you will enjoy the scenery, food and wine, the Spanish, and fellow pilgrims.
Thanks MechEngr, reaching Orisson is my plan, but if I don't get there maybe nap under a tree. I'll be taking it slow in the beginning with maybe 7 kg pack and taking super care of my feet. I really want to walk the whole distance. I hope I'm lucky like you with the weather

Go for it
I'm 15 years younger and have gone ill prepared twice as far as training and being overweight. However I did heed advice on footwear socks and pack weight. Take it slow and fitness will come!
Thanks fasert, my thought exactly.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Just an FYI that all available beds are taken in SJPDP tonight - fully, truly COMPLETO! There’s an indication of how busy this year may be since it’s just a Wednesday in late April, not usually...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back