• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Over-packer in denial: another packing list - leaving this week

emcreeves

Time of past OR future Camino
Arriving in Biarritz on 26th April 2018 for my first camino
Hello everybody, and thank you for all your help on here - I have been a silent lurker for some time!

Despite reading through many forums and trying to not get too hung up on the 10% rule I have now panicked since weighing my packed 33L Lower Alpine backpack at 7.5kg without water/ food and few odd items like my passport, safety pins.
I know the pack itself weighs a bit too so trying to not be too hard on myself.
I feel I have been quite strict but obviously not! I weigh around 62kg, 25 y/o and weight lift / hike a lot but usually with around 5kg in it.
Did not include my hiking poles as i will be walking with them
Any advice will be welcome- I am off on Thursday doing the Camino Frances and look forward to meeting many of you!

clothes in sea to summit dry sack
3 x merino underwear
3 x socks
3 x sock liners
2 x long sleeve merino tops for hiking (I usually hike with long sleeves)
1 x merino t-shirt
2 x hiking leggings
1 x pair of shorts also for evening/ sleeping
1 x thin mid layer - i know this could be a potential but I find I always tend to hike in this over the fleece so am hesitant to depart from it
1 x fleece- needed? i do feel the cold but feel this would be more for the evenings
1 x windbreaker/ waterproof
1 x lite waterproof trousers
2 x sports bras
pair of teva sandals
1 x microfibre towel
1 x light running gloves
buff
cap
either money belt or mini foldable bag need to see what is lighter

1 x light weight sleeping bag
1 x silk liner- needed?

1 x toothbrush
1 x mini toothpaste
1 x lush soap for shampoo, clothes washing and body wash
tiny face moisturiser
cleansing wipes (30 in a pack)
deodorant
tangle teezer
sanitary products -tampons/ a few pads and liners (needed estimated a week into the trip)
mini 50 sunscreen
vaseline

first aid bag-
strip of each painkiller
antihistamines, asthma other personal meds
pack of compeed
a few band aids
tape
antiseptic
couple of rehydration sachets

swiss army knife.
spork
light notepad/ pen
a zip lock bag and mini spare dry bag
toilet paper
1 x 1L bottle
headtorch
portable charger
briefly guidebook
headtorch
sunglasses
clothes line
pack of tissues

thank you- apologies I have tried to look through the many lists but when it comes to your own its suddenly hard to shift!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I only take 3 of everything, and that includes what I'm wearing, so only 2 are ever packed. That means you can get rid of a third of your clothing! Wear one, wash one, one ready for the next day. It works! Buen Camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I only take 3 of everything, and that includes what I'm wearing, so only 2 are ever packed. That means you can get rid of a third of your clothing! Wear one, wash one, one ready for the next day. It works! Buen Camino.

unfortunately this includes the one i will be wearing sorry i did not make that clear
i will be wearing
1 x long sleeve, 1 x hiking leggings etc out of that list! unfortunately!

One common feature of packing lists like this is that they are not ranked with the heaviest items at the top

I'd leave the fleece (bulky and if you're really cold just wear all your merino at once), the sleeping bag (liner plus albergue blanket plus merino instead), the mid-layer and the waterproof trousers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thank you for all your replies much appreciated!

Not bad at all. Not that far from my own load, except that mine weighs quite a bit less for pretty much the same items.

Personally, I'd drop the Brierley guide and make do with notes on the notepad. Gronze and Mundicamino are great on-line ressources. Do keep the silk liner - I find mine indispensable. My own lightweight fleece is nice in the mornings and when I go out after dark.

One reason for me dropping the guide is that I much prefer NOT following the "Brierley stages" - in my experience, avoiding those stops translates to less congestion at albergues, hospitaleros that are less stressed and locals that are more friendly.

Edit: One caveat with the notepad is that there are few albergues with lockers, so most of the time you will need to bring it with you, whenever you go out.

It's interesting to hear people's replies.

My two cents:
-Your packing list looks great.
-7.5 kg is fine. If it's too heavy for you, you'll get rid of stuff.
-I would keep the waterproof trousers and jacket-- they also block the wind, which you may be very thankful for on the Mesteta and the hilly places (Napoleon's Pass comes to mind.)
-I switched from a fleece to a packable jacket (down or primaloft)-- it's not as bulky-- However, it doesn't make a very good pillow. :(
-I loved my sleeping bag (down, lightweight), didn't take a liner.
-I took extra light days menstrual pads-- and wore one daily, instead of packing out used toilet paper. The pads wick away any moisture (thanks to the chemicals...), and I threw it out at the end of the day.
-I slept in a shirt and underwear. I don't see the need for shorts.
-Instead of sports bras, I wore one camisole/sports bra (tummy covered), and took one. That was my bottom layer.
-Take an extra sun screen 50. We ran out one time and ended up going to a pharmacy to find more sunscreen with high protection. (It didn't rain the entire time we walked.)
-I like Brierly. I don't usually stop at his stops, but I like the guide.
-I also took a kindle with my kindle library on it. Including a guide The Pilgrimage Road to Santiago, by Gitlitz, Davie. He was professor who took his university class on the Camino in the '80s and '90s. So some of it is dated, but there is information on architecture, art, land, ecology, and history.

Have a wonderful walk-- Let your heart be moved.

Kate

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I always walk with a walking trailer (radical design) You don't have to bother about the weight (I can easily take 25 kilos with me) and the walking is so much easier. And the chances of injuries are more less. I used it to walk from Antwerp (Belgium) to Fisterra in 2015 and I leave with it on Friday , VDLP

7.5 kg doesn't seem too bad. More than I am willing to carry but most people bags seem to be that weight....
I always take a fleece, I have needed it even in Summer....
I too always take a fleece...it's warm, cozy, good for evenings and if chilly I sleep in it. I always wear it over a wicking tshirt so only need to wash it once or twice on a 6 week camino.

i weigh 83kl and I’ll be carrying around 9kl. The problem is that regardless how much one weighs our needs all weigh more or less the same. So my advise would be train carrying a full sack. I’ve taken advise taking a plate, bowl, cup, cutlery and an electric element to heat water etc. But I suppose it’ll depend where you’ll be Staying. Also taking a poncho and a pillow case. My fleece is a must for mornings and evenings.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I weigh about 62kg, and my pack weighed just less than 7kg. On the Camino I found that I could carry a bit more weight and splurged on a tube of body lotion. :D

I have been reading a lot of posts here, and on the Camigas Facebook page where people are freaking out because their pack weighs more than 10 pounds/4.5 kg. There is a balance between how much you can comfortably carry, and carrying what makes you comfortable. If you can carry it easily don't worry about someone else's idea of the ideal pack weight.

And my pack at ~7kg was a lot lighter than some that I saw on the Camino!

Sunscreen is easy to replenish along the way, and I found the best prices in grocery stores, not pharmacies.
Yes, I know. --But I couldn't find sunscreen 50 or above anywhere. --I had the same problem when I was in Athens. -- My son and i are of northern European descent (irish, scottish, german, english)-- my son just glows white in the sunlight. (He actually had a immune reaction on both our camino, where his hands swelled up with hives. The treatment is to avoid exertion, and stay out of the sun. Ha. We actually cut our last camino short because he couldn't sleep.) In the pharmacy, I ran into other pale perigrinos from Ireland also searching for stronger sunblock.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I completely agree. Bring three of most base clothing items and pack two. In addition, dry sacks weigh a whole lot more than plain old stuff sacks. I’d go with a stuff sack. If you have a rain cover for your pack, you should be fine. I would also ditch the guide book. I went to Kinkos and had them cut the spine off the book so I could scan it to a pdf using the sheet feeder on my printer. Another option is to just get the Wise Pilgrim app and forget about Brierley. Now this is going to sound really anal, but you should cut the tags out of your clothing. I’d keep the mid layer, fleece and windbreaker. Also the rain gear.

I almost forgot, I’d forget the sleeping bag liner. I’m a fan of sleeping bags. You don’t need both.

Last edited:
I know you are trying to go lighter, but you seem to be a bit sparce on blister care/prevention with just a few band aids and Compeed; blisters are something most walkers experience, and they can really effect your enjoyment.
I pre-tape to avoid them in the first place, other people have different strategies. You will find mixed opinions about Compeed (personally it has only ever made mine much worse), and I think there are several threads about blister care and prevention. DaveBugg has some good comments to make on footcare. If you can avoid them in the first place you will have a happier Camino. Walking a Camino is different from say running a marathon in that you will continue walking day after day for a month or so, without allowing time off your feet.
Many will tell you to get stuff along the way, but my experience across 2 caminos, is that when you really need a pharmacy, they either don't sell the right stuff or they are closed. Take enough for at least a few days.

I have very fair skin, so I took my own sunscreen too , I use 85 and 100 SPF, hard to find in Spain

I never used a guide, just used the small Michelin book, and followed the arrows. Brierly's is not the only guide book out there, I bought a different one (that we forgot to take) written by a Spanish author and translated to English, my sister bought a Brierly. I ended up reading mine back in NZ. I found distances easier to calculate with the Michelin. It was cheap and I bought it in Pamploma.

If you have toilet paper you wont need the tissues as well. I used to use serviettes from cafes.

I would add a small pair of scissors if your knife doesnt have one.
Also I don't know where you are from but if not from Europe you'll need a power adapter to be able to charge your phone.

I only took 2 walking outfits (I would sleep in what I walked in the next day) , a poncho and a warm jacket. 3 pairs of underwear and socks. I didn't need anything else, The poncho doubles as a windbreak if needed, and also covers the pack, so I didn't take a pack cover

Last edited:
Kelleymac has some great advice here. I agree with her all around. With regard to the Swiss army knife, you won't get it on a flight in the U.S. Don't know about other countries. I listened to all the "don't carry a Brierly's guide" advice and was so sorry. It's not about the stages. There just weren't any apps that gave me comparable info in 2016. I was always wondering what I was looking at and everyone else seemed to know. Just take it and tear out the pages as you go along. My favorite piece of wisdom is "You can always leave it behind!"

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Your list seems fine, sooner or later it will be easy to throw something out or post it home if you are not using it.

Welcome out of the shadows, @emcreeves !
Your weight is actually not so bad. Don't worry to much about that 10% business - it's a guideline, not a rule.
Here's your list, with some adjustments that I would make were it me (these things are personal). I take 2 of everything, including what I am wearing. Wash one, wear one.
And I'm thinking you might consider that all that merino could be too hot. So I added a lightweight hiking shirt and deleted one merino shirt. I'm thinking of the long-sleeved hiking shirts that my Swiss friends all have. The fabric is woven, not knit - and it probably isn't cotton, but it feels like lightweight cotton.

The other deletions and additions...
  • Compeed is heavy and no good if you actually have blisters (my opinion, but It's shared by many). Band-aids are fine. I also take a roll of micropore paper tape to use around the toes as blister prevention.
  • But you can get all manner of first-aid stuff there if you need it.
  • If you have tissues, no need to carry TP
  • The cleansing wipes are heavy. Ditch them for old-fashioned soap and water.
  • The spork will probably sit there in your pack if you are walking the Frances. So never mind.
  • Most albergues have plenty of places to dry clothes. Never mind the clothesline too.
  • People love headlights or hate them. I'm one of the latter. I have a tiny LED light that I use instead. It weighs almost nothing.
  • Consider deleting the towel and adding a shawl or lightweight sarong. Multiple use: you can use it as a towel, as a screen to give you privacy...and as a shawl.
Not to worry too much about weight. If it's too much you can ditch things or send them ahead.
My two cents, for what it's worth.
Buen camino!

3 2 x merino underwear
3 2 x socks
3 2 x sock liners
2 1 x long sleeve merino tops for hiking (I usually hike with long sleeves)
1 x long sleeve lightweight hiking shirt
1 x merino t-shirt

2 1 x hiking leggings
1 x thin mid layer - i know this could be a potential but I find I always tend to hike in this over the fleece so am hesitant to depart from it
1 x fleece- needed? i do feel the cold but feel this would be more for the evenings
2 x sports bras
pair of teva sandals
1 x microfibre towel
1 x light running gloves
buff
cap

1 x silk liner- needed?

1 x toothbrush
1 x mini toothpaste
tiny face moisturiser
deodorant
tangle teezer
sanitary products -tampons/ a few pads and liners (needed estimated a week into the trip)
mini 50 sunscreen
vaseline

first aid bag-
strip of each painkiller
pack of compeed
a few band aids
tape
antiseptic

swiss army knife.
spork
light notepad/ pen
toilet paper
1 x 1L bottle
headtorch Mini LED light
portable charger
briefly guidebook
headtorch
sunglasses
clothes line
pack of tissues
Shawl

Hello everybody, and thank you for all your help on here - I have been a silent lurker for some time!

Despite reading through many forums and trying to not get too hung up on the 10% rule I have now panicked since weighing my packed 33L Lower Alpine backpack at 7.5kg without water/ food and few odd items like my passport, safety pins.
I feel I have been quite strict but obviously not! I weigh around 62kg, 25 y/o and weight lift / hike a lot but usually with around 5kg in it.
Any advice will be welcome- I am off on Thursday doing the Camino Frances and look forward to meeting many of you!

3 x merino underwear
3 x socks
3 x sock liners
1 x merino t-shirt
2 x hiking leggings
2 x sports bras
pair of teva sandals
1 x microfibre towel
1 x light running gloves
buff
cap

1 x silk liner- needed?

1 x toothbrush
1 x mini toothpaste
tiny face moisturiser
deodorant
tangle teezer
mini 50 sunscreen
vaseline

first aid bag-
strip of each painkiller
pack of compeed
a few band aids
tape
antiseptic

swiss army knife.
spork
light notepad/ pen
toilet paper
1 x 1L bottle
headtorch
portable charger
briefly guidebook
headtorch
sunglasses
clothes line
pack of tissues

thank you- apologies I have tried to look through the many lists but when it comes to your own its suddenly hard to shift!
Leaving in June, and already packing for this trip, i would add some ear plugs and eye mask.
Have a wonderfull trip!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
7.5 kg sounds not bad at all! As far as clothes are concerned I take only two of each underwear, socks etc, trousers,longsleeved shirt and t-shirt - one lot to wear and wash every evening and one lot to change into after shower. Things dry easily overnight.

Sleeping bag liner a must - I made mine myself with a large “pocket” to go over the large pillows in Spanish albergues.

I did find useful a clothes line having ended up in albergues under pelting rain with not enough space for everybody to hang up there washing - so my clothesline “zigzagged” between bunks and could even be shared with others. But maybe that is no problem on the Camino Francés which I have never walked.

And I take an umbrella which is not mentioned by anyone in this thread although it has been discussed in other threads. Avoids all sorts of problems due to too much sun (AND rain!).

Anyway you can always shed things as you go along. So do ot worry, have a good sleep and buen camino!

Lots of good advice above, and obviously certain things are personal taste/preference.

I'll take to opposite view of some people: instead of "you can always shed weight" I'd say "you can always buy" (and sometimes find discarded at albergues). That is, anything you're on the fence about: leave it at home. I've been surprised at how much is available along the way. And if you find yourself lacking, there will be a store with it. Maybe not your preferred brand or material, but something that will do. Footcare, raincoats, buffs, drybags, sunscreen, walking poles, socks...everything is in outdoor stores at every city and sometimes small towns have a pilgrim-gear store. I'm talking about Frances...can't speak to other routes.

3 x merino underwear
3 x socks
3 x sock liners
1 x merino t-shirt
2 x hiking leggings
2 x sports bras
pair of teva sandals
1 x microfibre towel
1 x light running gloves
buff
cap

1 x silk liner- needed?

1 x toothbrush
1 x mini toothpaste
tiny face moisturiser
deodorant
tangle teezer
mini 50 sunscreen
vaseline

first aid bag-
strip of each painkiller
pack of compeed
a few band aids
tape
antiseptic

swiss army knife.
spork
light notepad/ pen
toilet paper
1 x 1L bottle
headtorch
portable charger
briefly guidebook
headtorch
sunglasses
clothes line
pack of tissues

Hi there! you must be so excited - I know I was first time. My rule of thumb was 2 of each - wear 1 and 1 in pack. It sounded as if this was all going to be in your pack? f so then you may have too much.........It will probably be hot much of then way so drop one of the long sleeve Ts and add another short sleeve. You can also add arm warmers in case you are cold - very light. I brought v. light thermals to sleep in and only a silk liner. It was fine and mot Albergues have blankets now if you need. If you fear bedbugs you can get pyrethrium spray. I was on Camino Frances 3 times and had no bed bugs at all

Hope to see you! I leave Wednesday and this looks very much like mine. Looking at the weather, I am wanting to bring more to protect from the rain. Buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hope to see you! I leave Wednesday and this looks very much like mine. Looking at the weather, I am wanting to bring more to protect from the rain. Buen Camino!
Buen Camino! See you there!

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply to me! I have got it down to 7kg! Slowly but surely...

You could shave off another 350 g by replacing the Brierley guidebook with either a kindle version of just the maps or - do as I did - scan the guidebook and store it on your smartphone as a pdf file or a kindle book.

You could shave off another 350 g by replacing the Brierley guidebook with either a kindle version of just the maps or - do as I did - scan the guidebook and store it on your smartphone as a pdf file or a kindle book.
Hi there, can you explain how to scan the guidebook and store it on the smartphone as a pdf file? Thanks

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Sure. My scanner has software that allows me to select the format of the scanned output. I chose pdf and the scanned file goes straight to my PC. If you have a kindle (or amazon) account, you could then simply send the file to your kindle email address where it gets converted into a kindle book. Hope this helps.

!

Your list seems quite reasonable to me. The headlamp, guidebook and penknife are things you easily could do without, but everything else is fine. If it weighs that much then it weighs that much. Other people get their weights down mostly by going for lightweight options rather than leaving things out. A lightweight backpack or sleeping bag will save you the weight of a hundred socks!

For everyone who says take only two pairs of underwear instead of three, I just don't get why you would want to literally *double* the frequency of underwear washing, just to save like a couple of hundred grammes. Three pairs is the way to go for me.

Wow! so many great responses. You don't say how big or small you are, how light or heavy - but I would say you have really thought your packing list out. Only thing I would say is "why three of things?"
I have found that to carry two spares really means that one always has too much. I practise wear one and wash one is all anyone needs.
Once you have been out on Camino a few days the city 'neat and clean' sort of drops away a bit and you will become much more relaxed about it all and realise those back-up thirds of things are totally unnecessary.

Like Vremde I no longer wear a pack but use a hiking trailer - the difference is unbelievable until tried - too late now!! But wildly more important than scraping the list down to the bone is pack fit and how you actually walk when wearing it. You could be super-experienced so please forgive me if I am preaching to the choir but that pack has to be fitted well, hips supporting the weight and no weight or stress on the shoulders, and then - one has to walk as if one is not wearing a pack, upright, relaxed ... if one has to lean forward to balance then the pack is too heavy and injuries will come because one is not standing and walking normally.

As for the Brierley .. he produces a much lighter 'maps only' guide which is also rather good. To me the thing about carrying a guide with maps is that one can locate oneself in the landscape, over a tea or wine one can leaf through it and see what is coming up .. one can see the 'day stages', know that most will be using the guide as a rule book and be staying there so can see where to stay in between, see where the big towns are if one needs to buy some kit or similar ... I think you should take it!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Not bad at all. Not that far from my own load, except that mine weighs quite a bit less for pretty much the same items.

Personally, I'd drop the Brierley guide and make do with notes on the notepad. Gronze and Mundicamino are great on-line ressources. Do keep the silk liner - I find mine indispensable. My own lightweight fleece is nice in the mornings and when I go out after dark.

One reason for me dropping the guide is that I much prefer NOT following the "Brierley stages" - in my experience, avoiding those stops translates to less congestion at albergues, hospitaleros that are less stressed and locals that are more friendly.

Edit: One caveat with the notepad is that there are few albergues with lockers, so most of the time you will need to bring it with you, whenever you go out.
I think the "notepad" might be one of those funny old paper ones if the perigina needs a pen to go with it.
No smart phone for guides and maps?

Sure. My scanner has software that allows me to select the format of the scanned output. I chose pdf and the scanned file goes straight to my PC. If you have a kindle (or amazon) account, you could then simply send the file to your kindle email address where it gets converted into a kindle book. Hope this helps.
Or just take photos of the relevant sections with your phone.
I was at a seminar recently - not many took notes, most just photo'd the white boards

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

3 x merino underwear
3 x socks
3 x sock liners
1 x merino t-shirt
2 x hiking leggings
2 x sports bras
pair of teva sandals
1 x microfibre towel
1 x light running gloves
buff
cap

1 x silk liner- needed?

1 x toothbrush
1 x mini toothpaste
tiny face moisturiser
deodorant
tangle teezer
mini 50 sunscreen
vaseline

first aid bag-
strip of each painkiller
pack of compeed
a few band aids
tape
antiseptic

swiss army knife.
spork
light notepad/ pen
toilet paper
1 x 1L bottle
headtorch
portable charger
briefly guidebook
headtorch
sunglasses
clothes line
pack of tissues

Way too much. Started with 10 kilos and sent 5 kilos back from Pamplona. It’s amazing how little you can get away with. Worse way you can always buy a few bits on the way but don’t. carry it unless you are SURE you’ll need it.

Before I start, for those who want to complain, please PM me. We are all trying to help in our own way but if comments are perceived to be starting an argument, Admins could freeze further comments and that is not fair to the OP.

Two options:

1) (I see this one is not going to be popular, that is why it is an option) Take nothing but what you are wearing and an empty backpack. Buy what you need on the way. The benefit is that the pack will be very light at the beginning, when it needs to be. The down side is everything that you will buy is likely back at home. It is a learning curve. Some friends travel like this all the time, but they are very rich and usually give what they bought away before they return home.

The other option for this is sit down with an empty pack and imagine going through the trek, stopping every day and taking out of your pack, what you need, when you need it. And put that item on your final list. To cover different clothing, imagine a rainy day, followed by a nice, sunny day, followed by a very hot day and finally a very cold day. How can you cover off all those differences in the LEAST number of options? Once done, the list should contain exactly what is needed. No throwaways.

2) Anything you have 3 of, drop to 2. Anything you have 2 of, drop to 1. Dump the liner, take only a sleeping bag, If you live in Europe and are not taking a plane ride, keep the knife. If flying, the backpack is your carry-on. Buy a knife when you get there. One head torch. You have it on the list twice. No clothes line. There will be other options.

Finally, a switchout option to maybe save some weight but not much, drop the merino tshirt for 2 polyester / nylon tshirts. They dry quickly after washing..Polyester / nylon bras are also a benefit over cotton. They are quick drying and can handle being washed every other day. You have a fleece and do not need to take two things that do the same job when one will do.

Hope this helps. At very least, it offers a different perspective.

No worries, you will quickly figure out what you really need within the first few days of carrying all that stuff on your back. Then you will either gut it out and carry it all, hire a service to haul your stuff to the next stop, or you'll remove about 1/3 OF YOUR stuff via to the garbage can, donation or ship it to Santiago. I choice to toss some and ship some to Santiago

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

3 x merino underwear
3 x socks
3 x sock liners
1 x merino t-shirt
2 x hiking leggings
2 x sports bras
pair of teva sandals
1 x microfibre towel
1 x light running gloves
buff
cap

1 x silk liner- needed?

1 x toothbrush
1 x mini toothpaste
tiny face moisturiser
deodorant
tangle teezer
mini 50 sunscreen
vaseline

first aid bag-
strip of each painkiller
pack of compeed
a few band aids
tape
antiseptic

swiss army knife.
spork
light notepad/ pen
toilet paper
1 x 1L bottle
headtorch
portable charger
briefly guidebook
headtorch
sunglasses
clothes line
pack of tissues

Get a $5 poncho, leave the windbreaker behind; forget the tissues and toilet paper. We took toilet paper on the first C and ditched it. The bars always have plenty of toilet paper. Just take a wad with you just in case you need it before the next stop. You will need a hat.

Get a $5 poncho, leave the windbreaker behind; forget the tissues and toilet paper. We took toilet paper on the first C and ditched it. The bars always have plenty of toilet paper. Just take a wad with you just in case you need it before the next stop. You will need a hat.
Probably don't need the clothesline. Take a few clothes pins or safety pins.

You can get rid of 1 sock and 1 sock liner.

You only need 1 long sleeved hiking top and only 1 pair of hiking leggings if you have waterproof trousers. And even if you get rid of the waterproof trousers, you still only need 1 pair of leggings. I honestly don’t think you should bother with waterproof clothing. Just get a poncho. I don’t think you need a fleece and a windbreaker.

I managed the entire trip with a pair of shorts, leggings, 1 t shirt, 1 long sleeved zip up, 1 light puffer jacket, and poncho. At night I changed into either a light dress or my pjs (shorts and t shirt).

You definitely don’t need a sleeping bag. The albergues are SO hot and they will have blankets if you need them. When I redo the Camino, this will be what I leave at home and take a sleeping bag liner and silk pillow case instead.

€60,-

3 x merino underwear
3 x socks
3 x sock liners
1 x merino t-shirt
2 x hiking leggings
2 x sports bras
pair of teva sandals
1 x microfibre towel
1 x light running gloves
buff
cap

1 x silk liner- needed?

1 x toothbrush
1 x mini toothpaste
tiny face moisturiser
deodorant
tangle teezer
mini 50 sunscreen
vaseline

first aid bag-
strip of each painkiller
pack of compeed
a few band aids
tape
antiseptic

swiss army knife.
spork
light notepad/ pen
toilet paper
1 x 1L bottle
headtorch
portable charger
briefly guidebook
headtorch
sunglasses
clothes line
pack of tissues

I kept a spreadsheet with everything weighed and if something went on I took something off. After completing the Camino - i could have deleted some items, but here are a few suggestions. Don’t worry about a clothes line take a few large safety pins (nappy/diaper pins) instead, one pair of lightweight pants and one pair shorts. ONe pair leggings - if cold wear to bed - and wear during day if needed. One bra was plenty. No waterproof trousers, I took a poncho - it was too long so I gave it away - bought a raincoat that covered pack but was easier to manage. I took a hiking umbrella - which was brilliant - sun and rain - was worth the weight - first couple of times I felt like an oddity but ended up loving it. The biggest reduction in weight was when I swapped my 1.7kg pack for a new Osprey pack weighing 900gms. Worth it. I took a pair of lightweight hiking sandals - that I used at night, but when I got a blister I wore with socks ( no pretty but worked well. I did take a sleeping quilt and silk liner - although really only needed the liner. My total pack weight excluding water was 6.5kgs. (used a water bladder-lighter than bottle.) Buen Camino

Your weight is actually not so bad. Don't worry to much about that 10% business - it's a guideline, not a rule.
Here's your list, with some adjustments that I would make were it me (these things are personal). I take 2 of everything, including what I am wearing. Wash one, wear one.
And I'm thinking you might consider that all that merino could be too hot. So I added a lightweight hiking shirt and deleted one merino shirt. I'm thinking of the long-sleeved hiking shirts that my Swiss friends all have. The fabric is woven, not knit - and it probably isn't cotton, but it feels like lightweight cotton.

• Compeed is heavy and no good if you actually have blisters (my opinion, but It's shared by many). Band-aids are fine. I also take a roll of micropore paper tape to use around the toes as blister prevention.
  • The spork will probably sit there in your pack if you are walking the Frances. So never mind.
  • Most albergues have plenty of places to dry clothes. Never mind the clothesline too.
  • People love headlights or hate them. I'm one of the latter. I have a tiny LED light that I use instead. It weighs almost nothing.
  • Consider deleting the towel and adding a shawl or lightweight sarong. Multiple use: you can use it as a towel, as a screen to give you privacy...and as a shawl.
Not to worry too much about weight. If it's too much you can ditch things or send them ahead.
Buen camino!

3 2 x merino underwear
3 2 x socks
3 2 x sock liners
1 x merino t-shirt

2 1 x hiking leggings
2 x sports bras
pair of teva sandals
1 x microfibre towel
1 x light running gloves
buff
cap

1 x silk liner- needed?

1 x toothbrush
1 x mini toothpaste
tiny face moisturiser
deodorant
tangle teezer
mini 50 sunscreen
vaseline

first aid bag-
strip of each painkiller
pack of compeed
a few band aids
tape
antiseptic

swiss army knife.
spork
light notepad/ pen
toilet paper
1 x 1L bottle
headtorch Mini LED light
portable charger
briefly guidebook
headtorch
sunglasses
clothes line
pack of tissues
Shawl
Your packing list seems quite good. I'm not sure why you removed the towel. You will certainly need something to dry yourself with. Also I would leave 3 pairs of socks but only one liner. Perhaps remove the long sleeved Merino top, you have the shirt with long sleeves. Most important of all, don't fret and enjoy yourself and all the new friends you will make. Oh and ear-plugs, but maybe you will not need them since I am not going to be around :) Buen Camino.

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Buen camino!

3 2 x merino underwear
3 2 x socks
3 2 x sock liners
1 x merino t-shirt

2 1 x hiking leggings
2 x sports bras
pair of teva sandals
1 x microfibre towel
1 x light running gloves
buff
cap

1 x silk liner- needed?

1 x toothbrush
1 x mini toothpaste
tiny face moisturiser
deodorant
tangle teezer
mini 50 sunscreen
vaseline

first aid bag-
strip of each painkiller
pack of compeed
a few band aids
tape
antiseptic

swiss army knife.
spork
light notepad/ pen
toilet paper
1 x 1L bottle
headtorch Mini LED light
portable charger
briefly guidebook
headtorch
sunglasses
clothes line
pack of tissues
Shawl
Hi
I would have a poncho and a rain kilt mine weight 145 gr and 56 gr my weight is 7 kg no water or food,
My weight is 84 kg and I will start next Friday at Irun to do the Norte
Cheers Buian Camino

Last edited:
Sorry Guys this part of post NOT for you. For women out there that need feminine protection my huge recommendation is to use the Diva Cup - its silicon, light weight and easily packed in its own draw string material case and is environmentally friendly! They are easily washed I also take a small container of Tea tree oil (packed inside cup when not in use) to help disinfect it and this also seems to help with yeast infections! Buy pre-trip and try one out.

As for what I have read - I would also ditch the headlamp (used these for night running relays when a must but they are blinding to others and heavy) and a mini safety LED flashlight attached by carabiner to pack is great (set to flash mode along busy roads for safety/ use at night to read or get to bathroom). I also added on carabineer a whistle as a single traveling female for safety. Also ditching army knife good idea but I am taking a spork as well. As for cleansing wipes I agree ditch them and I'm using, instead of washcloth, one of those eye glasses cleaning cloths - super small and made of same quick dry material as the ones sold in travel stores as washcloths. I'm not sure i see the need for toilet paper but am carrying a small travel pack of tissue and feminine wipes. I am traveling with silk liner and sea to summit pillow plus a small down travel blanket instead of sleeping bag. I also have gotten single use sample size packs of conditioner and face cream - its amazing what quality sample stuff u can get for free. Trying the shampoo leaves this trip as well as so tiny they were easy to pack!

Final tip as one who has done trips that involve multi day/ overnight running relays - the body glide is great to use on feet instead of vaseline and comes in deodorant like container so small and easily packed! Also good for any other spots that are rubbing/ chaffing like hips where pack is sitting or thighs.

Your lists looks great!

Take the silk liner. Spray it with permethrin before you go and bedbugs will avoid you. You can't wash your sleeping bag or travel blanket, but you can wash the liner because it will dry in an hour. And, you WILL want to wash it after a while. The permethrin lasts through several washings. The microfiber towel is a miracle. Take it. Ear plugs, yes. You probably don't need a knife, unless you plan to reenact the rumble scene from West Side Story. Take a cup to hang off your pack so it is easy to get a drink from a potable fountain you may pass. It is easy to get dehydrated, so drink extra. And, the cup will also hold wine in the evenings during socializing. Don't stress too much about being over the guidelines by a pound or two. After a few days, your pack will contain extra stuff, like huge chocolate bars, fruit, a sausage, or other things you discover. Take some ziplocks for daily transport of used tissues. Please don't discard toilet paper or tissues along the trail. I didn't use any bandaids for blisters since they come off immediately. But, they weigh nothing, so no matter. Pack a few alkaseltzers. Pulpo gave me indigestion. Theoretically, you can buy what you need on The Camino. Realistically, you will find that you need something on a Sunday or out in the middle of nowhere. Rely on your fellow pilgrims for help and make friends. Lifelong friends.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I cant get below 15.1 kgs
3 socks
3 underwear
1 sports towel
1 long shirt
2 t-shirts
1 long zipper trousers /shorts
1 shorts
1 light fleece top
1 yoga pants to sleep in
1 set of waterproofs
1 lightweight coat liner
1 sleeping bad 0.45kgs
1 Temur pillow travel size
1 set trek poles
1 waterproof dry sack
pills and potions as per CAA carry on regs
phone charger
1 head torch lightweight
1 pair of trek sandals
washkit/shaving kit
1 rescue blanket
water bladder
water bottle
lightweight earphones

all in an osprey atmos ag 65

i am 6'2" and weigh 101kgs

Last edited:
3 socks
3 underwear
1 sports towel
1 long shirt
2 t-shirts
1 shorts
1 light fleece top
1 yoga pants to sleep in
1 set of waterproofs
1 lightweight coat liner
1 sleeping bad 0.45kgs
1 set trek poles
1 waterproof dry sack
phone charger
1 head torch lightweight
1 pair of trek sandals
washkit/shaving kit
1 rescue blanket
water bladder
water bottle
lightweight earphones

That's a lot of weight for the items that you are carrying. Does that count the clothing that you will be wearing?
What is a coat liner?
What are your "waterproofs"? Depending on the season you will be walking you may just need a lightweight poncho.
You don't need a pillow or rescue blanket.
How much do your pills and potions weigh? You may be able to bring small amounts and replenish along the way. There are lots of good stores in Spain.:)

From a quick look at your list the number of clothes items seems roughly about right give or take an item. Are you able to buy lightweight versions of anything, the bonus with that is that they also dry quickly.
The only things I'd question are:
1 yoga pants to sleep in
water bladder or water bottle - you only need one if you're doing the CF.
1 lightweight coat liner

I see you dont have a rain poncho, do you have a rainproof pack cover? And anything for footcare (anti blisters)
I wouldn't count the weight of anything you'll be carrying, eg walking poles, hats etc

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am ex mt-rescue and a medic. I don't do any walks without rescue blanket. I dump the water bladder.
The coat-liner is lighter than a fleece and windproof. My Partner is carrying wound care I am carrying pain relief. The pillow is memory foam I have a bad back/neck shoulder and need the right support at night
I am thinking of swapping the sleeping bag for a microfiber sleeping bag liner but not sure?
The rucksack is waterproof and comes with rain cover.
I am not a fan of ponchos but that's from my rescue background.

I am ex mt-rescue and a medic. I don't do any walks without rescue blanket. I dump the water bladder.
The coat-liner is lighter than a fleece and windproof. My Partner is carrying wound care I am carrying pain relief. The pillow is memory foam I have a bad back/neck shoulder and need the right support at night
I am thinking of swapping the sleeping bag for a microfiber sleeping bag liner but not sure?
The rucksack is waterproof and comes with rain cover.
I am not a fan of ponchos but that's from my rescue background.
I have to admit there ponchos and there are ponchos. For my first Camino I bought one from a hunting/hiking store and it was completely useless (and expensive). Too long, too light, blew up over my head, and got wet on the inside as well as the outside, was over a foot too long for me. My own fault for not trying it out first. I had to cut the bottom off with nail scissors during the rain storm.
On my second one, I bought a cheap poncho from a shop on the trail and it was great. Exactly the right weight, with the armholes in the right place. Covered me and my pack, and stayed put. It was great and only 5 euros. Easy to put on, didnt cause condensation, very comfortable and kept me warm without sweating.
I don't have one, but a lot of people swear by the Altus poncho.

Mad Manx, yes I agree with Anamiri that your list seems about right. Your pack at 65 l is probably too large. I have a 50 and it was too large. For rain gear, I took a light rain jacket and a rain kilt instead of rain pants. For me, condensation in the pants makes it as wet inside as out. The rain kilt (you can find it online) weighs next to nothing, takes up no space, and worked OK, I won't say great, but OK. Also, don't count the weight of the clothes you will be wearing or what will not be in the pack, such as poles. Also, pack some dry laundry detergent and some clothes pins. Shampoo does not work as well for clothes, as some may suggest. A small water bottle half full of granular detergent weighs a couple of ounces and works great. Also, I took a universal sink stopper and used it repeatedly. I took 4 pair of underwear because I feel I deserve the luxury of clean, dry underpants. What time of year will you be walking? That will impact your warm clothes inventory. If in Spring or Fall, take a knit cap. I was talked out of it and suffered. You will reach a point where you will not be able to think of anything else to eliminate. So, then you go with that. No worries.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi,

I confess to being entertained by talk of pack weight on this forum (well, anything gear related as I'm a gear nerd). I love it! It's usually quite easy to keep pack weight low on Camino as there's a lot of stuff one need not carry. It cracks me up that I check my pack weight and frown if it's 8kg, yet if I were going on a non-pilgrimage related thru-hike, I'd be stoked if my base weight was 10kgs, with only fuel to add.

Your list looks fine to me, and I think that you did extremely well to get the weight down to 7kg. I'd be interested to know how heavy your pack is. If it's the one I'm thinking of, I think it weighs about 1.5kgs on its own. So no, don't be too hard on yourself.

I do recommend a Diva cup if you can get one. But if they're not your thing, it's fine - not all those tampons will make it to Santiago de Compostela :) So they're not a permanent weight. Ditto with any concerns about the added weight of water.

You could ditch the sleeping bag. A liner is fine if you're sleeping indoors. I also echo other suggestions that 2 sets of clothing is enough, except undies - 3 pairs is just right And yes, stuff sacks are lighter than dry bags. I'd keep the microfibre towel, but it needn't be a large one. The large ones are surprisingly heavy. The tea-towel sized ones are perfect.

Someone mentioned a sarong. I'm from South East Asia and live in traditional sarongs if I'm at home (I'm wearing one right now). I do not travel anywhere without a sarong.

Aw, poor Brierly. He does get a bit waffly with the purple passages of prose, but he does also include interesting information - just rip the pages out as you go. If all you want is a map, then I recommend the Michelin guide or the Wise Pilgrim app (you'd need a data plan to be able to use the map).

Do you normally walk with rain gear? This is a personal preference. I'd ditch it if it's not something you'd normally use. But I'm biased and not a fan of rain gear, it's too stuffy. I'm a trekking umbrella convert with a light rain jacket for back up.

I weigh about 48kgs and pay absolutely no attention to the 10% rule - I'd have trouble keeping to that on just a daylong jungle trek with the amount of water I have to carry.

If it's any consolation, my pack weighs close to 10kgs. Shocking weight for a Camino! It's slightly heavier than usual because I have planned a slightly longer trip with a couple of non-pilgrimage hikes thrown in, so I have a couple of extras like my tent. I went for a 10km hike yesterday with my pack loaded to almost 11kgs and was absolutely fine.

If you're used to hiking with about 5kgs of weight, you'll be fine. Just take it easy in the first week, ease into it, let your body condition itself.

Have a wonderful Camino.

3 socks
3 underwear
1 sports towel
1 long shirt
2 t-shirts
1 shorts
1 light fleece top
1 yoga pants to sleep in
1 set of waterproofs
1 lightweight coat liner
1 sleeping bad 0.45kgs
1 set trek poles
1 waterproof dry sack
phone charger
1 head torch lightweight
1 pair of trek sandals
washkit/shaving kit
1 rescue blanket
water bladder
water bottle
lightweight earphones

Hi Mad Manx,
Your list does look good and it really shouldn't weigh that much. But having said that, I suspect that your pack probably weighs about 2kgs, maybe a little more. Have you weighed it on its own?

Other than that, I agree with other comments regarding pack size. My pack is 40L and I have a tent in there in addition to everything else.

I can't see anything in your list that I'd leave behind, except perhaps the sleeping bag.

I did training walks 6 miles on paths with a long hill stretch in the middle with 18kgs.
I don't like things hanging off rucksacks with a 65lt I thought there would be room for pack lunches and other bits found on route.
i also hate having things dangeling from packs

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Yes, I know. --But I couldn't find sunscreen 50 or above anywhere. --I had the same problem when I was in Athens. -- My son and i are of northern European descent (irish, scottish, german, english)-- my son just glows white in the sunlight. (He actually had a immune reaction on both our camino, where his hands swelled up with hives. The treatment is to avoid exertion, and stay out of the sun. Ha. We actually cut our last camino short because he couldn't sleep.) In the pharmacy, I ran into other pale perigrinos from Ireland also searching for stronger sunblock.

Burning is a fact of life with me, even with 50 sunscreen . I alway wear sun-gloves, they are wonderful. My hands never get burned.
I drive with those gloves, its amazing how much sun can damage the backs of your hands when driving. I have this super sticky sunscreen from my skin specialist I plaster on my face, I look like a ghost but I don't care. It doesn't sweat off quite as much as some of the commercial ones. He says "if you have to do something your skin is not suited for then it will help".

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Burning is a fact of life with me, even with 50 sunscreen . I alway wear sun-gloves, they are wonderful. My hands never get burned.

I will look for sun gloves. I did get some sun blocking shirts for my son, some cover the back of the hands. It's hard to get him to wear then. And they don't look all that bad! -- He seems to have an immune reaction to UVB rays, called Polymorphous Light Eruption (PMLE). Here is an article with more info-- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK430886/

3 socks
3 underwear
1 sports towel
1 long shirt
2 t-shirts
1 shorts
1 light fleece top
1 yoga pants to sleep in
1 set of waterproofs
1 lightweight coat liner
1 sleeping bad 0.45kgs
1 set trek poles
1 waterproof dry sack
phone charger
1 head torch lightweight
1 pair of trek sandals
washkit/shaving kit
1 rescue blanket
water bladder
water bottle
lightweight earphones

Hey MM,

Your list is almost identical to mine and mine clocks in round 7kg. Here's a few pointers as to why yours might be a lot more...

Firstly when people weigh their equipment here they never include the weight of the hiking poles. Those will be carried in the hand or contacting the ground, so they don't count ;-)

Secondly your 65 liter backpack weighs about 2.2kg, which is a good half to three-quarter kilo more than most peoples'.

Thirdly, I suspect your choices of long shirt, sports towel and waterproofs might be quite heavy themselves, for what they are. If you're going to do the camino between may and october remember the weather will be mostly extremely hot, with only occasional rainy days. In 9 weeks on the camino last year I saw less than one week in total of rain. I'm not sure what a coat-liner is myself, but your coat should be light and waterproof already without needing extras. You might try replacing these items with lighter materials -ie. microfibre towel, cuben-fibre rain jacket. Remember they can all be combined and layered if you find yourself too cold.

Fouthly, you've got a couple of unnecessary items there. Rescue blanket is quite pointless, sorry. You're not going to experience the temperatures or few enough people about for this ever to be used, even in the event of an emergency.

Fifthly, you're weighing everything you will take, and not subtracting the things you will have on - ie. one set of underwear, one T-shirt, one pair of shorts etc. Everyone else quoting weights on these forums has likely not included the clothes they are wearing for their comparison.

Hope this helps. All the best!

I will look for sun gloves. I did get some sun blocking shirts for my son, some cover the back of the hands. It's hard to get him to wear then. And they don't look all that bad! -- He seems to have an immune reaction to UVB rays, called Polymorphous Light Eruption (PMLE). Here is an article with more info-- https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK430886/
I also experience PMLE, mostly on my forearms and legs. Fortunately, it usually gets better after I build up a tolerance to the sun each year. I read about an ingredient in some sunscreens that are available in Europe that helps with the condition. Sorry, I don't remember what it was, I'll have to research it again.

Edit: Found this information from Eucerin, who makes the sunscreen for PMLE https://int.eucerin.com/about-skin/indications/ple-sun-allergies

Last edited:
A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I also experience PMLE, mostly on my forearms and legs. Fortunately, it usually gets better after I build up a tolerance to the sun each year. I read about an ingredient in some sunscreens that are available in Europe that helps with the condition. Sorry, I don't remember what it was, I'll have to research it again.

Edit: Found this information from Eucerin, who makes the sunscreen for PMLE https://int.eucerin.com/about-skin/indications/ple-sun-allergies
Thank-you!

Wow I thought my 36L Osprey pack was on large size but 65 L that seems crazy - to each his own though as its your journey.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
will be posting a packing video soon - follow on: www.mycaminosresolve.com
Just checked out your packing list ,Sherry, and it's quite... err.. "comprehensive" :) Eight different tops, hiking boots *and* trail runners, all kinds of accessories. At the risk of sounding like a bit of a know-it-all here, I think you'll need to trim it down a bit before you go. Have you weighed it all?

Just checked out your packing list ,Sherry, and it's quite... err.. "comprehensive" :) Eight different tops, hiking boots *and* trail runners, all kinds of accessories. At the risk of sounding like a bit of a know-it-all here, I think you'll need to trim it down a bit before you go. Have you weighed it all?
@sherrykirkham , I've got to agree with @H Richards. You've got enough clothing on that list for at least 2 people! All of my clothing fit into one Eagle Creek Specter Compressible packing cube - fully compressed!

Last edited:
yes but I will be wearing one outfit from this list and I'm in Paris for three days before I leave. If i find I'm not needing clothes I will send ahead and depending on weather reports I may drop a few items but heading out end of May and then all June and part of July the weather is bound to go from cool to hot! The list sounds long but check out the video later and U will see that it all packs up with room to spare in a 36L and without water / snacks and shoes it weights about 13/14 lbs. Most of the items are super light and travel size and very compressible: www.mycaminosresolve.com for video in few days but again this is a females list and an honest one at that. Still debating taking a travel keyboard for phone to make doing my blogs easier LOL

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
With a 4 kg total pack weight, these are my 'closet' items that I carry. Since I wear a pair of shorts while walking, zip-off pants, like the REI Sahara, can be swapped for the extra pair in the pack, adding about 6 more ounces in additional weight. The flexibility of layering that I have allows for comfort at temperatures from around 2.5 C to hot!!

I didn't bother to convert from ounces to grams... :oops:
  1. Base layer, Top - Patagonia, Capilene, Lightweight, Long-Sleeve x 1 -- 3.9 ounces
  2. Base layer, Bottom -- Smartwool, lightweight, x 1 -- 5 oz
  3. Pearl Izumi running shorts x 1 -- 5 oz
  4. Insulating Layer -- Mountain Hardwear, Ghost Whisperer Vest -- 6.1 oz
  5. Windshell Jacket -- Patagonia, Houdini -- 3.2 oz
  6. Poncho -- Zpacks, Cuben Fiber 6.7 oz
  7. Rain Kilt -- ULA -- 2.8 oz
  8. Shemagh scarf/towel, cotton -- 6 oz
  9. Socks -- Smartwool Phd, Crew, Light Padding x 2 -- 4 oz
  10. Extra insoles -- 1.2 oz
  11. Gloves -- thin, North Face, polartec -- 1.7 oz

I didn't bother to convert from ounces to grams... :oops:

Shame, ounces only mean something to me in the context of cooking ;-) Packing only makes sense to me in grammes. Pity us UK Gen-X-ers ... it's all mixed up !!

Thank you everyone who has responded since I started !!

I am 9 days in, managed to get it down to 6.5kg thanks to everyone’s advice.... so relieved about this
When I’m back I will post what I found useful and not so useful though I have not used the washing line yet!
Managed to get down to two long sleeves as my one t shirt has gone missing... all part of the Camino I guess!!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I would say one LS shirt, one tee shirt, one pair of leggings, one pair of pants. I bring a simple shift dress too, so I can wear that while my walking clothes dry. I didn't even bring a pair of long pants; just a pair of shorts and wore those every day. I don't like to walk in long sleeve shirts, so I just brought one long underwear top for when it's cold and two tee shirts. And a lightweight down coat which is lighter and much more packable than a fleece. And, of course a rain jacket. I did, however, bring too many gadgets, because that's my problem.

I would say one LS shirt, one tee shirt, one pair of leggings, one pair of pants. I bring a simple shift dress too, so I can wear that while my walking clothes dry. I didn't even bring a pair of long pants; just a pair of shorts and wore those every day. I don't like to walk in long sleeve shirts, so I just brought one long underwear top for when it's cold and two tee shirts. And a lightweight down coat which is lighter and much more packable than a fleece. And, of course a rain jacket. I did, however, bring too many gadgets, because that's my problem.
I use two cap sleeve merino wool hiking dresses (homemade) merino sweater, lightweight long sleeve shirt, ultralight wind shirt, and merino wool tights. And my homemade "parcho" for rain. But I've only walked during warmer months - July - September.

Such wonderful replies- a reflection of how helpful everyone is on the Camino actually!
Just for reference, I have returned and have just made some notes by my list of what with hindsight I would change. My bag weighed in at 6.5kg and this was fine for me, you soon adjust to the weight and if your bag is fitted properly you should not get any back issues.
As I said I am 25, exercise most days, have hiked a reasonable amount and weighed around 62kg (now I am not so sure due to hiking 30-40kms for 1000kms, but also eating so much pan and croissants!).
Some points
- My bag was a lower alpine 33L that was expandable if needed. Built in rain cover that I used when it rained and at check in to protect the bag.
- First week was chilly during the day but most evenings throughout the camino were cold (as in needed at least a sleeping bag and wearing clothes for the next day), I just missed the fog/ snow over the Pyrenees. The rest of the time it was beautiful sunshine and would get hot by 1-2pm when I aimed to stop walking, or at least take a long break. However some mornings were foggy and there was a rainy day. So May has variable weather- you cannot predict!
-I slept in the clothes I was wearing the next day. So pleased I did this it just makes it easier. Nights were never too warm, on the odd occasion I might just sleep in underwear/shorts and put my leggings on in the morning.
- You soon realise you get by with what you have- and there are places along the Camino Frances to stock up . This is especially the case for gear in cities and pharmacies- just avoid walking through during siesta times. To be honest I could have got by with just one outfit really !!! The less you bring the less you worry about.
- I cut labels out, changed bags to lighter ones to increase space/ make lighter, I took out vitamins and anything I felt I could buy or was not essential. Obviously a few items snuck in...... we all joked we had a luxury item- mine was a travel size bed bug spray that I would spray onto disposable bedding/ my outer sleeping bag. Did not get bed bugs , not sure if it helped. A few others did and went through the treatment process.
- I had one mosquito bite and saw a few near the coast but not enough to warrant spray.
- It is personal experience! Read up on people's advice and go with what works for you. Many people purchase and/ or donate items along the way.
- DO NOT get hung up on the 10% rule- after all, we all need similar items regardless of our weight! However it is good for it to be as light as possible, to reduce risk of injury, worry and discomfort. I met plenty of people who were carrying 10kg + and managing fine. I also met a few with tents who were closer to 20kgs!
-In general, there are plenty of places to stop for snacks and most towns have a shop to buy snacks/ or food if you plan to cook more - I liked the dried fruit, figs, bananas/apples and nuts. I did at times purchase freshly baked pan (bread) and some aged cheese/ tomato for long days and snacking. I love pan so there's never really a particular reason other than making the most of it before returning to the UK that lacks in this category! However you can get by without carrying too much food. Buying a chocolate bar and giving out squares is a great way to bring joy!
- The plastic bags from food purchases I tried to keep to litter pick on the way

2 sea to summit light weight dry sacks- one for clothes, one small one for valuables (pleased I had these for the one day it rained, and they were coated in permethrin spray for clothes. I did this a few days before I left)
3 x merino underwear - pleased I had three pairs!
3 x socks ( As the weather was so nice I could have gone down to two outer layer socks as they were merino so did not have to wash everyday but used all three pairs enough)
3 x sock liners (I would stick to this).
2 x long sleeve merino tops for hiking (I usually hike with long sleeves to protect my skin- BUT it was hot, and my 200 merino was too much after week 1 of slightly chilly weather- you have to remember they might not smell but get salt marks! In May I would suggest one long sleeve merino is sufficient but again, I used both enough)
1 x merino t-shirt (this was light weight but I lost it! A fellow pilgrim gave me a spare quick dry t-shirt that I wore a lot on hot days- sometimes my lighter long sleeve merino was too much- as others suggested on this forum!)
2 x hiking leggings (one would have been fine, lets be honest. Two pairs useful for when one was wet from washing etc- I mean damp clothes are okay but sometimes I could not face it)
1 x pair of shorts (I hiked in these on hot days- occasionally switching to them halfway through the day- also handy when doing a big wash!)
1 x thin mid layer - (I used this a lot instead of my fleece on chilly mornings etc)
1 x fleece- (mainly used in the evening- it was clean and warm as some nights were chilly and I needed to wear a few layers whilst relaxing/ the odd time sleeping).
1 x Northface windbreaker/ waterproof - needed. You could consider a poncho instead, the one time this is not so good is for when it is windy.
1 x lite goretex waterproof trousers
- used ONCE during about four hours of moderate rain- right at the end of my trip, I was pleased I had them especially as I hike in leggings so these covered my boots preventing rain getting inside.
2 x sports bras- I would recommend two. Lightweight so more comfortable.
Teva sandals - i debated taking flip flops but so pleased I had these instead. Fellow pilgrims hiked in their sandals, but for me to explore the towns/ cities and have a comfortable pair of shoes on breaks/ end of the day was relief in itself. The showers were nearly always clean but I did wear them into the shower at times also.
1 x microfibre towel- I weighed it- could've bought a lighter one but it was okay, and I replaced the bag with a smaller lightweight stuff sack so it took up less space.
1 x light running gloves- gloves were needed for cold weather, early mornings and handy to protect my hands from the sun when it was not too hot to be wearing them.
Buff- used so much to cover my hair/ ears in the sun . Means you can wash your hair less also. Sneaky sneaky.
Cap- needed!!! I did not need a warm hat and got by with the buff.
A few hair ties- I have long hair and would plait and leave in.

I took a lightweight quecha foldaway backpack- great choice as I checked my bag in due to poles/ penknife so it acted as my hand luggage bag, and it was nice to have when in towns to carry belongings/ extra layers. I did have a thin money belt but did not use it and this sat stuffed into the bottom of my backpack with a spare card and some back up money.

1 x light weight sleeping bag - needed!!!! Whilst some albergues
provided blankets I tried to avoid using them due to bed bugs...most people had bags. Lots of places give disposable sheets, so it was nice to have a more comfortable layer also. If it was slightly warmer my silk liner would have been perfect, but Im pleased that after much debate I went for my sleeping bag, leaving my silk liner behind. It also meant I was prepared to sleep out if needed! (it was not). Two places provided sheets and asked not to use sleeping bags due to bed bug risk? it was a nice change but in general this was not the case.

1 x fold up toothbrush
1 x mini toothpaste-
used up had to buy a big tube but tried to share this around. Also look into the LUSH tablet toothpaste- a friend had this and it seemed easier.
1 x lush soap for shampoo, clothes washing and body wash- PERFECT. It lasted until two days before the end of my camino when I left it in the municipal accidentally. Always leave the lid off and let it dry overnight though, my friend's disintegrated within a week because he did not do this.
Face moisturiser- I just asked for a sample of my face cream that was put into a tiny pot and lasted. It also had SPF In.
cleansing wipes (30 in a pack)- did not take these, did not need them! Skin was fine, if not better just using soap and water.
deodorant
tangle teezer brush
*For girls* sanitary products -
tampons/ a few pads and liners (needed estimated a week into the trip)- I will look into the moon cup for future trips but I am pleased I brought some as where I was did not have an open pharmacy. Also wear a liner each day this is handy!
mini 50 sunscreen-
needed.
Vaseline - used the whole tub- mainly for my feet each morning!

first aid kit in zip lock bag to make lighter-
- Strip of paracetamol and ibrupofen- I needed ibrupofen for muscle pain/ general issues (recommended by the pharmacy) and ended up buying more from the pharmacy but the doses were different so frequency changed- so check this.
antihistamines, inhalers other personal meds
- Compeed pack, various sizes-
I did use these and hand them out to fellow pilgrims. You love it or hate it- it helped a couple of blisters, made one worse. Read up on how to use correctly. I did not take needle or thread and did not need to treat my blisters this way but it would have been handy to have. Easily purchased along the way.
- A few band aids/ toe tubes -
used
- Tape - used up , new one used for a couple of open blisters. A pack of breathable bandage bought.
- Antiseptic cream (Savlon)- not used often much, could have gone without and purchased if needed.
- 2 x rehydration sachets - used after a couple of long hot days where I ran out of water on a long stretch.

Swiss army knife- used for scissors , wine opener (of course), tweezers, knife to cut bread etc - useful but it did mean I had to check my bag in.
Spork- used twice- could have gone without this- some government hostels did not provide any kitchen equipment so it came in handy then but I could have made do without- often i would have the pilgrim meals.
Light notepad/ pen- did not write much, personal choice but pleased I had it.
2 plastic zip lock bags- one for smelly socks and one to ice injury on cafe con leche breaks! Handy, and the bars were always happy to provide ice.
toilet paper not needed did not bring- i had a couple of packs of tissues and there are so many bars etc. Girls- wear liners this is handy.
1 x 1L bottle- used camping clip to attach to backpack strap at the front for easy access whilst walking.
1 x fold up 1 L bottle-
used rarely but on stretches without water- useful and I needed it.
Headtorch- always used- to navigate to the toilet, and for mornings (I was a up by 6 and going person)
Anker portable charger - could have gone without and it was heavy. However it did come in handy mainly at the airport etc, and it was nice to be able to let others use it on the odd occasion when there were no charge points.
Headphones- used a few times to share music with fellow pilgrims and the odd time of physical struggle up hills. Useful in the evenings to help go to sleep also.
Ear plugs- for the plane, did not actually sleep with them but many people swore by them.
briefly guidebook- well.. used for distances but questionable distance accuracy at times. Mainly used for knowledge of upcoming towns etc. Many people had a lightweight michelin camino guide - and there was a German 'Outdoor' book that seemed useful.
Sunglasses - needed
clothes line- USED once but others just hung in the trees- would not take again on this route
2 x pack of tissues- used
safety pins- large. Very useful for hanging clothes when there were no pegs (quite common), and drying socks etc off my bag during the day.
Hand sanitiser - handy for the odd cut and to try and ward off the camino cough/ crud but I got it anyway. You could go without.
Travel size 'bed bug' spray.- 'luxury' item, did not need - treat items before going if you are comfortable using it - I know there is much debate around this that you can look into on other forums and online.
4 x peanut butter sachets-
okay luxury item take 2 but there was the odd time there were no bars open for 15 km, so these were a great treat! Also for sandwiches.

Lightweight hiking poles- I hike with poles at home, and it was good for an arm workout! I tended to strap them to my bag on concrete stretches and going into cities though. I did see someone who put wine corks on the end of his poles to prevent the noise!
Hiking shoes- worn for a few years over many kms- however on this trip I did end up getting blisters after a couple of weeks. I had been taping hot spots and letting my feet breathe on breaks but it is probably time for a new pair with a wider front toe as my feet now look a wonderful picture! I also noticed knee problems etc from over pronation most likely- doing so many kms everyday does mean it is good to be aware issues may come up that need to be looked at when home/ risk of injury on the way. I was lucky I could keep walking by taking painkillers, icing and elevating on breaks. I know some people wear trail runners (see other forums!)

And a shell, pilgrim passport - purchased at pilgrim office!
Hopefully this is helpful , thank you again to all those who have commented- it really helped not only shave 1.5kgs off my bag weight, but gave me an idea of the warmth, and openness of the camino!
Much love!

Last edited:
After just finishing the Camino Frances, two key things I would do for the trek in May/June - ditch the sleeping bag and use a sleeping bag liner instead (less weight, less bulk) and only 2 sets of clothes - convertible pants and polo quick dry shirt with collar (wear one, wash one)...but have 3 underwear and 3 pairs of socks. Also ditch cutlery - don’t need it if in Albergue or going out to dinner (it’s very cheap anyway). And buy the walking sticks at SJPD. Found brand new, telescopic ones for €25 a pair at Estella, after my $225 foldaway sticks from Australia failed miserably at start of 5th stage, and they were brilliant!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Responding to an old thread.

If any hiker is worried about the 10% or even 20% pack to body weight recommendation, keep in mind there are other ways to come at that equation.

For example, a 125lb hiker may be restricted to a 12 lb pack by the conventional wisdom. With a little work, diligently eating at Sonic, lots of pizza and cookies, etc and you could get your weight up to a solid 200lbs and carry a lot more in your pack!! Math works every darn time it is tried!

Worth a shot.

I'm not saying it is my current training theory, but I'm not, not saying it is.

Maybe.

Hang on, pizza rolls are ready...

M

Haha I love this!!! It is a solution for sure... I know what I will be doing next time .. bring on the Pan and chocolate croissants

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.