• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Overcoming Objections

mlhhome

Time of past OR future Camino
CF (X3), VDLP, Madrid ‘12-‘22
I received so many gifts on my Camino that I almost must insist that at least one of my friends share my return. What advice can you suggest that will help address their doubts/fears?

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well, since I don't know what their doubts or fears are I would suggest you find some good youtube clips or blogs to show them - there are many good ones out there. They might not ever understand what you get out of this experience.

I haven't walked the camino yet but will be going next spring with my daughter. My husband doesn't comprehend why I want to do this and I have given up trying to explain to him. I have shown him some good clips just to give him a better idea of what we are going to do and where we are going to walk and that is all I can do.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If they will want to do it -they will. If they don't want to- they won't
It's not up to you to persuade any one.
just show what good it did to you, don't be a preacher.

I honestly do think its a calling! So if a person is called to do the camino the objections will be overcome by the true desire and mysterious call!

I was inspired and the call was revealed after I met two Dr.'s here in NJ/NY that did it and showed me pics...sometimes the camino spirit through someone else can unbury the desire..but organically and naturally..check out "the Surgeon and the Saint" online http://www.thesurgeonandthesaint.com/

I met the Dr and his sons at the church my friend attends in Mamoroneck NY...and I met another Dr. in NJ at prayer group called "Why Catholic?" that he organized with his wife every sunday for a few months through my parish.. he showed me his pics and he has done more than a few caminos and hospitalero...the seeds were planted without fan fare, pushy, preachy...just humbly exuded camino through peace & overall demeanor- both were quiet and introspective types! :) Bob the Dr. from NJ did parts of the camino with his adult children also....there is something aout each of them that just touched me...they were not trying to convince me to go on the camino but rather mentioned it ...and looking back quite apparent that they (like me now) had become pilgrims for life and somehow that spoke to me..in their quiet peaceful demeanor....gratitude & grace... :wink:

Also to be noted I had a dream in 2007 that I would walk the camino with two aquaintances that I had just made (I had to look up the camino because I didnt even know what it was!). One girl was the friend that lives in Mamaroneck and though she didnt come with me, she is the one that 3 years before my camino introduced me to meet the Surgeon! The other friend who also could not swing camino..but he prayed for me while I did it..and he is quite a prayer warrior....So, I was meant to go solo...and they really didnt feel the "call" but knew that I did.. Never did I try to persuade other than tell them about the dream I had when it happened! And again mentioned when it became a reality for me...they both tossed it around a bit-but no call for them...atleast not now!

You cannot (and do not want to, believe me) force them. They must hear the call of the camino for themselves. But you can make sure the message is delivered: youtube videos, blogs, books and memoirs. However, you must do this in the spirit of, "This may not be for you. You will have to decide for yourself. But I would be glad of your companionship."

Even if your friend consents to go, there is no guarantee of traveling bliss. That depends on compatibility of rising, eating, and sleeping hours; traveling styles; etc etc.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks for your replies
You are absolutely correct, my good intentions have nothing to do with the longings of their spirit.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back