• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Overcrowding in the Holy Year?

throthette

Hi all,
I'm Amanda - I just joined, but have done a portion of the Camino before.

Here's what I'm wondering, to those of you who are likely much more familiar with the Camino than I am: I know that, because 2010 is a holy year, the Camino is going to be much more crowded than usual. My hope is that it won't be too crowded when I go...I'm planning to start in St.-Jean-Pied-de-Port on March 2, and finishing in 30-35 days. Can anyone set my mind at ease? Will I be fine, since I'm doing the Camino in March?

Sorry if this has been posted elsewhere! And thanks to anyone that can give some advice. :)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am starting from SJPP in mid-March and really do not expect to run into serious crowds until later in the Camino....around April.
I thnk you will be fine. I walked the Camino in March 2009 and saw few people most of the time except at the end.

Thanks for your reply!
This is certainly my hope. And even if it is a bit more crowded, well, I've already changed my flight out of Spain (I'm visiting a friend for a month before hand, and decided to stay extra time to walk), so I've got the time, and I've been wanting to get back to the Camino since I walked some of it a few years ago...
Hope you enjoy your trip, too.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I don't think early March will be too overcrowded. You might have to worry more about the weather!
Last year pilgrims reported 16 days straight of sunshine in March and then the storms, snows and blizzards started. By Easter there were snow alerts - 8 inches fell in 24 hours in Navarre and rescues had to be caried out outside Burgos at at Triacastela.

Have a look at this post on my blog for walking in Spring.
http://amawalker.blogspot.com/2009/04/w ... pring.html

Sorry, Amanda, I don't have answers. I just wanted to add some questions.

Do you think it will be an enormous crowd in July and August?
Obviously I'll have the time and really would like to do it again. But i'm not sure because of Holy year and crowds.

I would like to start in SJPDP.

So how bad it will be in July from SJPDP to Ponfferada? (From here on it was only a race to bed on my Camino in 2009 - august).

Thank you for your answers.

I planned to walk in september and I really hope the masses of people will have stopped by then. My walking companion is kind of scared that there won't be any possibility to sleep in (oder under) and that we have to sleep outside. But I really don't want to take a tent with me.

So: Does anybody agree with me and my thoughts that most of the people will try to arrive in SdC in july and that there won't be an overcrowding two months later? :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Geradine said:
I planned to walk in september and I really hope the masses of people will have stopped by then. ... Does anybody agree with me and my thoughts that most of the people will try to arrive in SdC in july and that there won't be an overcrowding two months later? :)

I'd like to say yes but both the stats for recent years and my own experience in Sep 2008 suggest that Sep 2010 will be very busy.

Having said that - Is it true to say that the Holy Year "spike" is mainly Spaniards? Foreigners seem to be more put off than encouraged by the Holy Year. And also many of these Spanish walkers will only be doing the last 100km?

Geradine, I am also starting from SJDP in September, and have stopped agonising over the posibility of overcrowding. What will be will be. I am going to turn up on 8th Sept and will start walking the next day.

I would expect more people (especially bands of Spanish students) around Easter - April 1 to 5 in particular in 2010.

A lot of these youngsters (we met them both on the Camino Francés and on the Via de la Plata) were quite unprepared to walk, took the bus a lot, tried to party in the dorm where people wanted to sleep, and basically treated the whole thing as an excuse to get away from their parents and drink wine, while having the opportunity to stay in cheap dorms.

According to Spanish friends, this is most common along the last 100 km of the route, but we met plenty of them in other placers, too. I also heard (but have no personal experience) that there was a tendency towards lightfingeredness regarding others' belongings.

Whether they're allowed to cause overcrowding will depend on the hospitalleros, I expect.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Just my luck. :| I would have expected the possibly really bad weather to dampen these youngsters' enthusiasm :roll:
Well, we'll see. The good side of their taking the bus a lot, is that the way in itself will in fact be less crowded :roll:

I don't think the overcrowding is going to be in the albergues themselves. Some albergues still make place for extra pilgrims but many - alll albergues in Galicia - are no longer allowed to take more pilgrims than are covered by their insurance policy. It was drummed into us that we could not have even one extra pilgrim sleeping on the floor, even though there was a large, unused function room.
The overcrowding will be pilgrims looking for a bed and many albergues, small hotels, and inns will be full. The tents and gymnasiums will cater for the overflow.

I dont know if this means anything re the numbers on the Camino, but tonight I heard that there are very few places left on Aer Lingus flights from Dublin to Santiago in September.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back